WB VS STK SCORES

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote:Did Goose play? If yes how'd he go?

Cheers.
Didn't play.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:Thanks spinner...

Question for you and anyone else there...

What were some of the match ups?

Who was Gardiner up against in the ruck?

Who was Baker against...?

and so forth...

Just wondering

Absolutely no idea.

The only on I seem to remember is Sam Fisher on Brad Johnson, but don't know how long that lasted.

Minson played ruck

> Hard to describe match ups with players literally rotating on and on the bench at least twice a quarter. In effect there wern't many constant matchups.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Milne play?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:Thanks spinner...

Question for you and anyone else there...

What were some of the match ups?

Who was Gardiner up against in the ruck?

Who was Baker against...?

and so forth...

Just wondering

Absolutely no idea.

The only on I seem to remember is Sam Fisher on Brad Johnson, but don't know how long that lasted.

Minson played ruck

> Hard to describe match ups with players literally rotating on and on the bench at least twice a quarter. In effect there wern't many constant matchups.
Fair enough mate, and thanks again
Last edited by St Fidelius on Fri 27 Feb 2009 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

ashjam wrote:Little Ross (No.50) is definitely going to be a player and is already a favourite of the crowd.
Calm down. Has lots of pace but whether he's "definitely" going to be a player, I wouldn't be so sure. There is nothing of him. Would make Alwyn Davey look absolutely jacked.

First passage of play I saw him involved in he took a mark and just panicked for no reason at all. He hurriedly gave the ball off to someone who was under the pump and the ball was turned over.

He half ran around a Bulldog and the crowd were in a frenzy. They adored him.

I thought X was exceptional. There was one moment where he gathered under a lot of pressure and managed to spin his way out of trouble. Was very good. Gave it off to Lenny who coughed it up with a poor disposal.

McEvoy out of his depth.

Nick Heyne was pretty good. One thing he did stood out - gathered beautifully forward pocket and, with little space and under a lot of pressure, managed to pinpoint Milney (I think) with a wonderful pass on his left foot.

Gardiner took a couple of great contested marks which is promising.

Skill level was terrible all afternoon. Amazing how bad skills are at this time of the year yet in only a matter of weeks you can bet they'll be extremely sharp.
Last edited by Beej on Fri 27 Feb 2009 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk23
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
kp83 wrote:Did Goose play? If yes how'd he go?

Cheers.
Didn't play.
Goose did play but for only a few minutes, not sure why he went off he did not seem injured.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

A few observations from the game that caught my eye

Zac Dawson was a different player from the Brisbane game. Won several on-on-one contests and looked very assured at ground level. On this game he'll be elevated and play Round 1

Impressed too with Colm Begley. Found a lot of the footy and has a very neat left foot.

Gardy was good. Rucked solo for pretty the whole first half. Took a couple of nice contested marks.

All senior players did their bit..the quieter ones being BJ and Grammy....Bally and Dal the best of them

Agree that Tom Lynch didnt really get into the game, but not stressed as first game in sentior ranks back after injury. Eljay on the other hand was terrrific. SIlky hands and great awareness in traffic. Outshone Jack S today.

CHoo-Choo is a dead-set cult hero already. Huge cheer every time he went near it..which he did to good effect several times in the last quarter.

We still look pretty benign up forward without #12. Gilbo was good and kicked 3 I think...but Big Mac struggled and Kosis kicking let him down. In the 3rd quarter we had 7-8 inside 50's in a row with a grand result of 0-0. Too many cute kicks inside 50 trying to find the perfect target Ythe blustery breeze and some less than awesome disposal making it frustrating viewing.

Speaking of which, the 1st qtr and most of the 2nd was pretty painful to watch from both sides. Appalling over-use of handball more often than not ending in a sloppy turnover...followed by a million more 2m handpasses...etc etc...We went more direct after 1/2 time and the game was much more watchable as a result...but was still never gonna be "one for the ages" lol

X and Bakes were OK without standing out.

Overall not a bad hitout without the game ever reaching any sort of high standard. A couple of thousand there Id estimate, all plonked in the Legends Stand..whch is a godawful football grandstand. Reminds me of Waverley, the slope is far too shallow so even 1/2 way back you are a mile away compared to TD or the G

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:In the 3rd quarter we had 7-8 inside 50's in a row with a grand result of 0-0.
not good enough. midfield dominance means nothing if you can't put it on the board.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 27 Feb 2009 9:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saint66au wrote:In the 3rd quarter we had 7-8 inside 50's in a row with a grand result of 0-0.
not good enough. midfield dominance means nothing if you can't put it on the board.
They should have moved BJ to FF. :lol:

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Yep and it was the same last year and many on here blamed our forward coach in barker...

I again feel this is up to the midfield coach and not the forward coach.

I didn't see the match, but from this report it is much the same as last year and our kicking into the forward 50 was woeful last year

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
yeah, that might work :wink:

seriously, though, we shouldn't underestimate converting opportunities into goals. though we won a scratch match today that stat is a worry.

wonder if "numbers behind the ball" reared its head.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
yeah, that might work :wink:

seriously, though, we shouldn't underestimate converting opportunities into goals. though we won a scratch match today that stat is a worry.
I agree but it is a practice match and tonight it sounds like we practiced kicking points. Hopefully next week we will practice kicking goals.

sainter35
Club Player

OLB wrote:
ashjam wrote:Little Ross (No.50) is definitely going to be a player and is already a favourite of the crowd.
Calm down. Has lots of pace but whether he's "definitely" going to be a player, I wouldn't be so sure. There is nothing of him. Would make Alwyn Davey look absolutely jacked.

First passage of play I saw him involved in he took a mark and just panicked for no reason at all. He hurriedly gave the ball off to someone who was under the pump and the ball was turned over.

He half ran around a Bulldog and the crowd were in a frenzy. They adored him.
I agree that it's far too early to predict whether he has a future but I really liked what I saw.

It's funny you mentioned him panicking because the thing I liked was his composure. At one point he took a player on and was tackled but kept his arms free and held the ball until he could find a teammate for a handball.

He did turn the ball over a couple of times by giving it to a player under the pump but it's just so exciting seeing a kid take players on with raw pace. We aren't as slow as people give us credit for but we do lack that bit of explosive speed that he will give us.

With his size you'd have to think he's a couple of years away but what a prospect.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

jk23 wrote:...Goose did play but for only a few minutes...
Oh dear. That's probably the end of him then. Not unexpected I suppose but really sad for him let alone us.

ballbaker

In the short time goose was on the ground looked out of his depth.
Ross Lyon said after the game came off with calf tightness so that might be the explanation, but still major concern.

esaint66
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint wrote:I was at the game too, thought Lynch showed promise, especially as he showed a bit of agro towards the Bulldogs.

That's my boy !!! :wink: :lol:

I wouldn't be expecting to see too much out of Lynchy too soon caught up with him on monday and he said he was feeling a little under the weather and was told by Ross to adjust in his own time. I'd expect him to play quite a bit this year, but it sounds like they are making him into a 'long term prospect'. I'll make sure i have a chat with him next Wednesday.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Those who impressed

Column Begley
Zac Dawson
Farren Ray
X
bj
Luke Ball
Gardiner
Heyne
Steven

Gardiner/King/McEvoy absolutely smashed Hudson/Minson in the ruck

Overuse of handball by both teams in the first half. Combined with poor skills and the first half was an embarrassment.

cj will have a great year - at Sandy. His disposal was as bad as i have seen in the AFL today - and thets coming from a cj fan.

Overall if this is what footy is evloving into then there is not much future in it. 9 goals to 6 on a perfect day gives you an idea of the standard.

Still only a practice match so no harm done.

have to single out Column Begley. Showed excellent speed and hand and foot skills. Will be a pretty good pickup this year.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

we have done alright with our three rejects...imhfo.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Overuse of handball by both teams in the first half. Combined with poor skills and the first half was an embarrassment..
Every game of the pre-season I have seen this year has been the same, everyone is finding it hard to score and everyone seems to be empolying the same tactics.

Watching it on TV is horendus esp the collingwood game where both teams constantly had no-one to kick to when going forwward all night long.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Fri 27 Feb 2009 10:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

thanks for the reports.

was interested in the game style - was it the usual get numbers back, flood, charge fwd to no one up fwd for both sides?OR did we actually leave some fwd at home? Great to hear we tackled so well.

Did Kosi at least take some grabs? - Im not worried bout the shots on goal as long as he gets his hands on it.

Hard to tell from the reports cause perceptions such a funny thing but 1 consistent comment seems to be Gardiner which is awesome news. This guy puts together 12-15 games for us this year and hes paid his way IMO (he was cheap draft wise).

“Yeah….nah””
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Teffers it wasnt the uber-flood of the Brisbane game or even part of the Rich-Coll game last night...the low scores were more a result of some awful skill errors at times by both sides and overuse of the ball trying to set up scoring chances

Yes the ball was "switched" out of defence many times, more by the Bulldogs than us

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Thanks everyone for the reports.

Very frustrating to hear that Mcevoy sounds out of his depth.

BUT great to hear Gardiner doing well.

super dooper
Club Player

Ventured down to Visy Park or whatever its called now.

Overall skill level was shocking particulary in first half. Our defensive pressure was fantastic where we choked all the bulldog run.

Considering they had a full strength lineup except Cooney it was a very promising result.

My highlights/lowlights were:
~ Bakes - playing and going into contests hard and fearless and crashing into packs on the ground for the hard ball get and second efforts

~ Ball - showed some bursts of pace to break away from a chasing player. Now his disposal at those times wasnt great, but it was great to see him have a little more freedom in his body.

~ Gilbert - i have been a knocker of him in the past, but after watching him closely in the intra club and today he actually looks comfortable up forward and doesnt look out of place.

~ Gardiner - took a couple contested marks and worked hard

~ Steven - terrible disposal

~ Goddard - very vocal out on the field almost commanding where everyone needs to be. Typical BJ game of high efficiency

~ McEvoy - looks to really be struggling. He doesnt look agile or athletic enough to play up forward

PJ
SS Life Member

Very frustrating to hear that Mcevoy sounds out of his depth.

BUT great to hear Gardiner doing well.
Seem to recall it being the exact opposite last week so I wouldn't fret too much about McEvoy just yet. Give him a few years to mature. Then we'll we bag the living sh*t out of him.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
henno
Club Player

RE: McEvoy

The delivery to him when he was in the fwd line was absolutely terrible!
bombing it long to McEvoy vs 3 doggies is always gonna make Big Mac look s***