The "I was Wrong" Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Loyal
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:Image
cool emoticon MC

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I was wrong about Steven Baker having an impact if he made it back. He did. He is.More than happy to be wrong.

Cousins I wont concede just yet....after an ordinary game of footy in which he played 3 qtrs......however, by mid year.....I may need another one of these threads.

I was also wrong about Dodgy. I thought he was a self obsessed prat.......wait a sec...he is..nope Im right...carry on....

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i was wrong when i thought kosi might make a star ff. he could be a star chf though.
Whence has come this theory of Kosi playing CHF? First sRr, and now the forward line's biggest fan.

With the exception of a brief period at the start of yesterday's game where we moved him up the ground to get Glass out of the square (leaving Goddard at FF against opponents who couldn't deal with it), Kosi played most of the game from FF.

Again.

Positions may not be set in the way they were in the old days, but Kosi's impact from FF is the biggest "I was wrong" for me so far... he's not only producing, he providing a great option and focus for the team (including Reiwoldt) to play through 10m from the square.

I thought they had to get rid of this "bomb it long" mentality they've had for years and get themselves a good lead up FF... I was wrong.

i'd point out to you that he's averaged four goals a game in only his last two matches and that very good full forwards average that over their careers.

what i'd love to see us do is to rotate three tall forwards ... kosi, riewoldt and bj (or gilbert) ... around the forward line and through full forward.

go with what appears to be working on the day.

as for being the forward line's biggest fan, i'm red hot on it because i feel scoreboard pressure is something that we've neglected over the past two seasons.

we need to get it right to win the premiership and saturday ... with 15 individual goal-kickers and no massive reliance on one player to kick us a winning score ... was exactly what i've been hoping for.

fwiw i was a big fan of moving kosi forward in the first place, so if he does go on and really make the position his own i can always claim i had it right in the first place i guess.

when it didn't appear to have worked too well last season (30 goals from many games) i felt partly responsible because i had pushed so hard for it.

while he is an outstanding high mark, he struggles to get free on the lead (which is an essential part of a forward's armoury) and, for such a big bloke, doesn't use his ample frame as well as he might in one-on-one marking contests.

he's my favourite current player (with dal santo) and i don't want to see his career diminished if it is not his best natural position.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 14 Apr 2009 11:05am, edited 2 times in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:the word you're looking for is lose SP :)
It's such an foreign concept to him he doesn't even know how it's spelt.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I was wrong about Gardi... I suggested he was finished. Boy oh boy.

I was wrong about Roo. Didn't think we could win if he had an ordinary-to-bad day on the ground.

What a good thing it is though, to be wrong about your doubts!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I was wrong about Blake (over two seasons back) as I thought he had reached his best and would not continue to improve and would stay error prone...and thus would not be in our best 22 and would be destined to just bea back-up player..

Since being allowed to settle in the backline and other non-rucking roles he has however blossomed..has improved his decision-making, footskills and spoiling skills (is now only better by Max in this department).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i was wrong when i thought kosi might make a star ff. he could be a star chf though.
Whence has come this theory of Kosi playing CHF? First sRr, and now the forward line's biggest fan.

With the exception of a brief period at the start of yesterday's game where we moved him up the ground to get Glass out of the square (leaving Goddard at FF against opponents who couldn't deal with it), Kosi played most of the game from FF.

Again.

Positions may not be set in the way they were in the old days, but Kosi's impact from FF is the biggest "I was wrong" for me so far... he's not only producing, he providing a great option and focus for the team (including Reiwoldt) to play through 10m from the square.

I thought they had to get rid of this "bomb it long" mentality they've had for years and get themselves a good lead up FF... I was wrong.

i'd point out to you that he's averaged four goals a game in only his last two matches and that very good full forwards average that over their careers.

what i'd love to see us do is to rotate three tall forwards ... kosi, riewoldt and bj (or gilbert) ... around the forward line and through full forward.

as for being the forward line's biggest fan, i'm red hot on it because i feel scoreboard pressure is something that we've neglected over the past two seasons.

we need to get it right to win the premiership and saturday ... with 15 individual goal-kickers and no massive reliance on one player to kick us a winning score ... was exactly what i've been hoping for.
"The forward line's biggest fan" wasn't a put down. I was more surprised to see what I inferred was a reference that Kosi wasn't playing FF from the guy I'd expect to have his eyes trained on the forward 50 24/7. :) ... I'm willing to say "I was wrong" and that it was something that was just in my head from seeing it last week, and not something you were saying is happening as the base for the forward gameplan.

From the above, I'm now taking it that Kosi at CHF is your next piece of advice (I'd be guessing you'd now be much happier about Lyon being willing to throw his talented players into the mix up front after Goddard's Q1?)

If I'm still missing the point, feel free to set me straight, do I get any points if I turn out to be the wrongest person in the "I was wrong" thread?

I'm with you on the lack of reliance on 1 goalkicker - and the way we went about engineering first the opps for Goddard then Kosi by messing with their defense turned out to be brilliance.

I think we've got to give a bit of a hat tip to the rules committee for rushing the rushed behind legislation through, it brings back the old Hammill style of forward pressure where we excel (Kosi averaged a tackle a game last year - a lot for a KF, Milne's always been quick on the corral, it's the chase that gives him problems, and same for Schneider) due to personnel and midfield press, and reduced the value of the Alwyn Davey chase forward we simply don't have. I was wrong on that too - I thought it was going to take half a season for teams to learn to exploit that rule - instead it's turned out to benefit the teams with the personnel to play a 6 man forward line and fitness to play the game out - the Saints, Dogs, Blues and Cats all get a boost, while the Eagles, Demons, and Dockers all get another kick.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:From the above, I'm now taking it that Kosi at CHF is your next piece of advice (I'd be guessing you'd now be much happier about Lyon being willing to throw his talented players into the mix up front after Goddard's Q1?).
i think he's probably a better fit at chf, but the idea of rotating him, riewoldt and bj around the forward line and through ff and isn't a bad one.

then you would go with what was working on the day.

gives us a lot of options and potency and would stretch any defence in the competition ... so long as the ball comes in there regularly and quickly.

can we afford to play bj in this role is the question.

I think he is definitely the best candidate, but no doubt there will be times when he is needed on the ball.

if so, there are other well-credentialled candidates to play the third tallish forward. perhaps gilbert, perhaps s. fisher, perhaps raph.

x-man isn't tall, but is a livewire who could slot in there. lynch is pushing up for sandringham, but is young and green. gwilt, i think, doesn't kick enough goals.

but i really liked what bj brought to the forward line in terms of simple goal-kicking nous. he's a brilliant converter, knows where to run to get the ball and uses his body very well in one-on-one duels.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 14 Apr 2009 7:34pm, edited 3 times in total.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I was definitely wrong about Lyon being unable to coach, and I have admitted this a while ago. I'm delighted to say that he is continuing to prove me right.

(As I have explained previously, this does not mean that I was wrong to say that the club shouldn't have sacked GT in 2006. Even if we win a premiership this season, I will still believe that it was the wrong decision. I also consider that we shouldn't have sacked Alves in 1998, and (unlike many on here) I'm not even sure that we shouldn't have persisted with Blight a bit longer than we did. I see sacking a coach as a highly disruptive step that should only be taken when they have been an undeniable failure a la Watson or perhaps, in the near future, Wallace.)

I'm astonished to say that I also seem to have been proven wrong about Gardi being finished: I should remember the old maxim that you never write off champion players (as Dal - almost a Brownlow winner - and Kosi - a Rising Star winner - have also demonstrated so far this year: and let's not write off Goose while we are at it either).

I was possibly wrong about CJ. I still think his game on the weekend was just a first rate version of what he usually does. I didn't really see any major new dimensions to his play (let's not get too excited about the fact that he hit a couple of targets by foot: that's what AFL players are supposed to do, it isn't a major achievement). But he was one of our top half dozen players in a high-performing side and I didn't think I'd ever be saying that about him. Good on him: I hope he continues to bore it right up me and his other critics!!

And I was possibly right about Gwilt and McQualter, neither of whom I have ever given up on for a moment.

How many of you can put your hands on your hearts and say that you have never written that the club should give up on at least one of Lyon, BJ, Joey, Kosi, Dal, CJ, Gwilt, Gardi, Raph, Blake or McQualter (or even, in some cases, Ball)?

If (like, by my estimate, 99.9 per cent of posters on here) you are unable to do this, then perhaps it is timely for you to take a deep breath and think that you might wish to be a bit less inclined to write off members of our playing and coaching staff when they make the odd blunder or disappoint us in some other way.

On the other hand, it's more fun to bag people than to praise them, particularly when you can do it anonymously on a web forum, so........................

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sobraz
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:I was wrong about Blake (over two seasons back) as I thought he had reached his best and would not continue to improve and would stay error prone...and thus would not be in our best 22 and would be destined to just bea back-up player..

Since being allowed to settle in the backline and other non-rucking roles he has however blossomed..has improved his decision-making, footskills and spoiling skills (is now only better by Max in this department).
I too was wrong about Blake... Didnt really see a future for him in the team due to his dodgy decision making and disposal...

But as a key defender, he has become one of the first picked... The less he has to create the better... Leave the offensive play to the likes of Chips, Gram, Gilbo and BJ... He just goes about his work...

The best thing about Blake as a key defender is his versitility... He can match up on the bigger guys like Lynch, and the smaller ones like LeCra... Whilst he was honorably servicable in his GT days in the ruck and around the ground, there were always question marks over his standing in the team...

Now with Ross's influence, he is a bona fide...

carnasaints55
Club Player

I really thought we would slip this year, especially after NAB cup game against Lions. I guess so far I've been proven very wrong.

roo=god
rexy
SS Life Member

I was wrong to want Dal traded for someone who had courage and toughness and desire.

Turns out Dal had it, just didnt want us to see it consistantly until now.

Maybe this year?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i was wr...

i was wr,,,

when i thought dal might not have the tank to play as a gut-running midfielder and should be used as a half forward.

in this case i'm delighted to be proved wr... he's looked like ian stewart so far this season.

keep it up dal.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 15 Apr 2009 12:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus1232
Club Player

I was wrong about the tribunal...

It appears they may finally be over crucifying us

saintly
Saintsational Legend

let us hope that the last games of tackling, intensity, etc etc continue and we still say we were wrong at the end of the year not just after 3 rounds of football playing against reasonable low teams.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:let us hope that the last games of tackling, intensity, etc etc continue and we still say we were wrong at the end of the year not just after 3 rounds of football playing against reasonable low teams.

Yes, good point. As Ross keeps saying it is a marathon.

esaint66
SS Life Member

I was wrong about Kosi - thought we should have got rid of him a few years back :oops: :oops:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Geez this has been a good thread :D

I hope everybodies soul is thoroughly cleansed :shock:

Some of the usual suspects who post on this forum are conspicious by their absence :wink:

Mabye we all understand why. Reading the ten page threads on here where the same posters argue the same topic ad nauseum and never give an inch....

Well mabye some of the things posted asbout them are correct....

Say you were wrong on a football matter fella's - really we wont think any less of you :wink: :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
GrumpyOne

I've never been wrong.

But I have made hasty and ill-concieved prognostications based on false premise as a result of being advised incorrectly by persons unknown. 8-)

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

GrumpyOne wrote:I've never been wrong.

But I have made hasty and ill-concieved prognostications based on false premise as a result of being advised incorrectly by persons unknown. 8-)
You'll make a great politician one day Grumpy.

I was wrong in thinking that Sam Fisher didn't deserve to get the number of games he got in his first couple of seasons.

Badlands
Club Player

Wow - now that i've revisited a couple of posts from just late last year after the trauma of flying down to melb for Harves last game, i questioned whether the likes of Jones, Gilbert, McQualter and Gwilt (among others) were "up to AFL standard let alone finals standard".

This week I have been telling everyone who cares to listen that Sam Gilbert is one of the most improved/underrated players in the AFL.

I believe I also said I was "gravely concerned about our immediate future" and that I thought "things are going to get a lot worse before they get better".

Rd 3 is too early to be making too many apologies, but so far I've been wrong on a few counts. Would love for this thread to still be going strong well into September!

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
clobba
Club Player

I was so wrong about so many things and am praying hard that a few rounds on I am still have an uneducated, poorly conceived grasp of football. the pressure and tackling COMBINED with an actual attack have been great to watch......in fact so good to watch that I need alone time to do so... :oops:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

This thread has been a breath of fresh air for this site - enjoyed reading genuine posters views on what they got right/wrong.

“Yeah….nah””
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I was wrong (I think) about Raph Clark. I was very scathing of him -admittedly before it was revealed about his epilepsy and his father's condition both of which were mitigating factors.
Good to see him come good...hopefully soft tissue injuries will become a thing of the past.

Also wrong re: Matty Gardiner, thought he was finished as a footballer.

I hope to be wrong about Goose, who I would love to see make a triumphant return but don't hold alot of hope.

Nee!
saintfreddy
Club Player

I was wrong when I bitched (to myself) that why oh why didn't we pick up Ben Cousins for a nothing draft pick.

I was wrong when before the start of the year my mate went overseas for six months (hence not renewing his m/ship) and for a moment I thought shall I renew for a long season of ordinary St Kilda

I was wrong when we played Adelaide and thought before the game, yep another pumping by them again

There, after three rounds I feel better at purging myself

:P