Bad luck Roo.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Lennon
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
AGAIN I hope he learns from it, because that is not what a captain should do with the last kick of a game
I just find it staggering that you honestly seem to believe you could be taking it harder than he is.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
AGAIN I hope he learns from it, because that is not what a captain should do with the last kick of a game
I just find it staggering that you honestly seem to believe you could be taking it harder than he is.
WTF...

just when did I say that !!

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Lennon
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
Lennon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
WTF...

Have you not said more than once a captain shouldn't miss a shot like that, and that you lost money on the game and you hope he at least learns something from that.

Bit of a joke really... basically implying he's not a fit captain and he might not take the miss to heart (you HOPE he at least learns SOMETHING)... ad nauseum....

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Kosi and Milne each missed 2 set shots that were all, IMO, more gettable than Roo's last one

Wheres the threads sledging them? They are paid to kick goals too are they not?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:Seriously, he did not look like he had the right internal dialogue happening "I can DO this - we ARE gonna nail this" he looked rushed - and did not compose himself.
Were you there?? I know players should have a hide as thick as an armoured tank, but seriously, the pressure on Roo at the Essendon-end of the ground tonight was astronomical! He did well to get it as close as he did under the circumstances.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Lennon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
WTF...

Have you not said more than once a captain shouldn't miss a shot like that, and that you lost money on the game and you hope he at least learns something from that.

Bit of a joke really... basically implying he's not a fit captain and he might not take the miss to heart (you HOPE he at least learns SOMETHING)... ad nauseum....

Imply all you like, but don't put words into my mouth...

DON'T EVER SAY THAT I HAVE IMPLIED ROO IS NOT FIT FOR BEING A CAPTAIN.

Yes I hope he learns from it and I have no doubt he will...

again, if that shot meant winning the GF, in my mind his shot was a shocker...

Look and Jordan McMahon last shot for goal to win a game for Richmond last week....

Again, Roo flowered up and I hope he learns from that...

Yes, he will no doubt feel it, as the supporters do, if not more..

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Lennon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Lennon wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
WTF...

Imply all you like, but don't put words into my mouth...

DON'T EVER SAY THAT I HAVE IMPLIED ROO IS NOT FIT FOR BEING A CAPTAIN.

Yes I hope he learns from it and I have no doubt he will...

again, if that shot meant winning the GF, in my mind his shot was a shocker...

Look and Jordan McMahon last shot for goal to win a game for Richmond last week....

Again, Roo flowered up and I hope he learns from that...

Yes, he will no doubt feel it, as the supporters do, if not more..
more

Lennon
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:DON'T EVER SAY THAT I HAVE IMPLIED ROO IS NOT FIT FOR BEING A CAPTAIN.
Fair enough - no need to shout.

Didn't know how else to read this:
St Fidelius wrote:
He is a captain, and he did do that with the last kick of a game. So...?

Thanks for clearing it up. You'll have to forgive me - fair bit of s*** has been posted tonight and I'm feeling testy.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I was right behind the kick, never looked like going through..

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

OLB wrote:
As soon as the siren sounded he grimaced didn't he? I mean, his head was down at the time but he grimaced.

I thought he rushed it, just wanted to get it over and done with, and never really looked like he would kick it.
Agree entirely. He's rushed a few lately and it may be a new tactic, but I don't think it's working for him. It wasn't a hard shot (relatively) and he missed by a fair way. It wasn't one of his shockers, but for a kick he seemed to hit pretty well, it was well off target.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Fair dinkum some of you dribble on with some spurious shite.

Like you're inside his head...like you know what he's thinking...

How about this... If our insipid midfield showed an inch of the courage their captain does week in week out for something more than 1/4 of the game, then Riewoldt's after the siren kick is irrelevant...

Or say he kicks the goal. We win when we shouldn't have. We go into the finals thinking we are too cool for school and wind up with egg on our faces because we took our luck for granted...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Superboot
SS Life Member

SaintWodonga wrote:I was right behind the kick, never looked like going through..
I was side-on, in Aisle 37, and it never looked like going through. Never on target.

But then I didn't really expect him to drill it. I'm only really confident these days when Mini or Schneids are kicking for goal. Even BJ is missing them.

jay young
Club Player

his set shots has plagued him for yrs matt richardson was asked by sam newman why forwards cant kick he blames lactic acid build up from all the running they do probably true cause lockett didnt move much he was a deadeye dick shot for goal , Anyway we were lucky not to be beaten by 10goals yesterday essendon were unlucky to get all those injuries ive said all along bull vs coll g final

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

jay young wrote:his set shots has plagued him for yrs matt richardson was asked by sam newman why forwards cant kick he blames lactic acid build up from all the running they do probably true cause lockett didnt move much he was a deadeye dick shot for goal , Anyway we were lucky not to be beaten by 10goals yesterday essendon were unlucky to get all those injuries ive said all along bull vs coll g final
With that grammar you've clearly shown your hand as a supporter of one of the two clubs you nominate as probable GF'ists.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
markp
Saintsational Legend

There were dozens of skill errors made in that game.... and not all of them were made under such fatigue and immense pressure.

For most at the ground the only pressure is to get to the loo, buy a beer and a pie and get back to their seat before the second quarter starts.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

This was a perfect example of how his kicking problem for goal can really hurt us. I wouldn't have minded so much if he was a reliable kick for goal but under the situation nerves got the better of him.

But even if he was dead in front it still would have been a 50/50 which really isn't good enough.

I don't know how much work he is doing on his kicking but he needs to just spend a real lot of time becoming a good kick for goal.

It's great to admire his work ethic around the ground and his super courage and marking ability but without finishing with goals it all doesn't really matter.

Remember Stewart Leowe was a much worse kick than Roo at first and became a very reliable kick at goal.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Fair dinkum some of you dribble on with some spurious shite.

Like you're inside his head...like you know what he's thinking...

How about this... If our insipid midfield showed an inch of the courage their captain does week in week out for something more than 1/4 of the game, then Riewoldt's after the siren kick is irrelevant...

Or say he kicks the goal. We win when we shouldn't have. We go into the finals thinking we are too cool for school and wind up with egg on our faces because we took our luck for granted...
Yep, seem to be blaming 1 player for a poor performance, look at the whole game, not 1 kick in isolation. Besides it our FIrST loss

I love this club
StSteven
Club Player

Of course Roo did not lose the game. BUT he had an opportunity to win it. He did not take it. We should expect a captain to be able to kick that goal.

I am more concerned however about the midfield. Cats, Pies are beginning to look dangerous.

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

Never a truer word has been written on here!

Oh I forgot.... we are St Kilda and here's our first loss.

Bit afraid to go out later, the sky is starting to fall again.

Get some perspective folks - Roo missed - as has been said on here on this thread other set shots were missed.

Are we going to analyse every single one? No....... I think not!

He'll bounce back - as all great players and LEADERS do.

Hopefully the next clutch goal he gets under pressure will not only shut people up around here but also put a healthy dose of egg on their faces too!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:...Remember Stewart Leowe was a much worse kick than Roo at first and became a very reliable kick at goal.
True, but I remember Peter Hudson, who corrected the fault, saying that his kicking technique was basically sound, rather, it was his run up that was the problem. Thus, the marking on the ground. Once he was on line and did not feel that he had to hook the ball to get it back on line at the last moment, he was OK. In fact, most players miss because they kick in the wrong direction. Even many muffed kicks go straight - straight through the points if aimed there. Leigh Montagna is a classic example of this.

However, I think Nick's problem is more related to body proportions and so much harder to fix.
Last edited by perfectionist on Mon 17 Aug 2009 6:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey wrote:
Never a truer word has been written on here!

Oh I forgot.... we are St Kilda and here's our first loss.

Bit afraid to go out later, the sky is starting to fall again.

Get some perspective folks - Roo missed - as has been said on here on this thread other set shots were missed.

Are we going to analyse every single one? No....... I think not!

He'll bounce back - as all great players and LEADERS do.

Hopefully the next clutch goal he gets under pressure will not only shut people up around here but also put a healthy dose of egg on their faces too!
Just like to make a correction to this line. It should read:

He'll bounce back - as all great players and CHAMPIONS AND LEADERS do.

Some of you should take a long hard look at yourself. Our team came back from a 43 point deficit at the beginning of the 4th quarter. That is quite an amazing feat. We did not almost win it because of Essendon's injuries, we came back because our intensity lifted by 10-20% on the other 3 quarters. The players were flat and out of sync and to their credit, they rallied and we almost stole the game from Essendon. Essendon will be lucky to last the first week in the finals.

Underestimate our team and our captain at your own peril!! We should be thanking our lucky stars that we don't have a snivelling and whining captain like Collingwood do. Maxwell's performance in the media on Sunday morning was pitiful at best. I would be disgusted if Nick came out with comments like that. Just goes to show you the difference between a true leader just an 'average' AFL footballer.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote: We should be thanking our lucky stars that we don't have a snivelling and whining captain like Collingwood do. Maxwell's performance in the media on Sunday morning was pitiful at best. I would be disgusted if Nick came out with comments like that. Just goes to show you the difference between a true leader just an 'average' AFL footballer.
Never a truer word spoken... And I know people will whine because this should be an opposition forum spiel, but I had to laugh when the Sunday paper lead stories were (in essence) ‘Didak shakes tagger!’ and ‘Maxwell gets stroppy because Tigers started a fight!’

In the first instance, if Didak couldn’t beat Jake King – a plodder of the highest order (four foot two, slow, no skills) – well perhaps Didak should be playing soccer, and secondly, for a captain to sook about a game being rough?????!!!!! I mean what is this! Tiddlywinks! You whining, pathetic, softc-ck. His onfield demeanour is similalry appalling...whinging, sooking, hands in the air 'oh my god you can't be serious as if I would ever do anything wrong' proclamations. Utter knob.

I swear a boot studder could fart in the Collingwood dressing sheds and it’d make the papers...

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
saint75 wrote: We should be thanking our lucky stars that we don't have a snivelling and whining captain like Collingwood do. Maxwell's performance in the media on Sunday morning was pitiful at best. I would be disgusted if Nick came out with comments like that. Just goes to show you the difference between a true leader just an 'average' AFL footballer.
Never a truer word spoken... And I know people will whine because this should be an opposition forum spiel, but I had to laugh when the Sunday paper lead stories were (in essence) ‘Didak shakes tagger!’ and ‘Maxwell gets stroppy because Tigers started a fight!’

In the first instance, if Didak couldn’t beat Jake King – a plodder of the highest order (four foot two, slow, no skills) – well perhaps Didak should be playing soccer, and secondly, for a captain to sook about a game being rough?????!!!!! I mean what is this! Tiddlywinks! You whining, pathetic, softc-ck. His onfield demeanour is similalry appalling...whinging, sooking, hands in the air 'oh my god you can't be serious as if I would ever do anything wrong' proclamations. Utter knob.

I swear a boot studder could fart in the Collingwood dressing sheds and it’d make the papers...
This is great stuff and 100% accurate, if you dont mind I wouldlike to borrow o few of your lines for the Eddiewood nuff nuffs at work

I love this club
reincarnated

STILLWAITING wrote:
Thinline wrote:

This is great stuff and 100% accurate, if you dont mind I wouldlike to borrow o few of your lines for the Eddiewood nuff nuffs at work
Maxwell is not a captains asshole and Reincarnated knows the higher-up's in the AFL Commission who joke about him when he is brought up

It takes a big man to take the 5th best forward and run around all day getting cheap kicks and doing bugger all

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

How is Nick Maxwell at all relevant to a SAINTS supporter forum? :wink: