Andrew Lovett Sacked!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedzeeki
Club Player

I don't know if anyone else has thought of this, but as has been written in the paper the incident happened at a StKilda players apartment. The women involved must have had some connection with the Saints. No wonder some players were reluctant to have Lovett back. We have done the right thing.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Obviously with all information available at the time it was deemed a reasonable risk... just as plainly in hindsight it's a f*k up.

But hindsight is always 20/20, and only one person is culpable here.

At least he was never really a Saint... never played so much as a practice match, never cheered onto the ground, never ran through a banner, never laid a tackle, took a bump, or kicked a goal and shared the elation of a victory with our players and our club.
Excellent post markp - you must be a top bloke :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
markp wrote:Obviously with all information available at the time it was deemed a reasonable risk... just as plainly in hindsight it's a f*k up.

But hindsight is always 20/20, and only one person is culpable here.

At least he was never really a Saint... never played so much as a practice match, never cheered onto the ground, never ran through a banner, never laid a tackle, took a bump, or kicked a goal and shared the elation of a victory with our players and our club.
Excellent post markp - you must be a top bloke :wink:
The one "advantage" of this whole sorry story is that he wouldn't have had time to bond with the players and create friendships that would have split the team right down the middle.

The club has made the only decision possible in this situation.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Let's just win the flag this year and send him a card direct to this cell :wink: :idea:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Chopped. Clean cut. "He is no longer an employee of the club".

Due diligence down on the recruitment. 'Had to take a risk' looking at a premiership. 'Risk hasn't paid off'.

'Ten references on his character from his previous football club' - Ross Lyon
yep...gawn......nothing to see here move on....10 references from pple pleased that he wasn't a don's player anymore.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
older saint wrote:Congrats to the club on the handling on this matter from the start. No knee jerk reactions, no bowing to public pressure, well thought out and considered action obviously based on legal opinion and advice.

The recruitment was arisk worth taking and no one not RL, not HIRD or LLOYD not ESSENDON not DRAIN , no one except Andrew Lovett is to blame for where this has ended up!
The club has been unlucky. While Lovett had plenty of history the Saints did their checks and thought he was worth the risk.

In reality, most players with a troubled past pull their heads in when their club decides to offload them and they're basically on their last chance.

I could have foreseen Lovett transgressing again down the track - maybe in 2011 having a drink and missing a training session. But not this!

Far from pulling his head in he has actually taken it up a notch whilst at a critical stage of his career. I don't believe anyone at St Kilda, or Essendon for that matter, could have foreseen what has actually (allegedly) happened.

Yes, just unlucky I reckon. :(

i disagree......this is a bloke who locked his
girlfriend in a car whilst he systematically bashed her for an hour.....

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

This whole episode has been bad, but I'm trying to figure out how some in the press are trying to paint it as disasterous.
Lovett never played for the club, trained once maybe twice before Christmas.
Was suspended as soon as the allegations we're raise and now sacked.
He is no big loss too our playing personel because he was never part of it.
The players, too their credit, tried to incorporate him into the club before the incident, then totally removed any association from him once it had happened.
So there are no hurt feelings, no misguided loyalties, it's as if he never was there.
The sorry thing for Andrew Lovett is that he blew his oppotunity so badly and the only person he has to blame is the one he sees in the mirror.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

tedzeeki wrote:I don't know if anyone else has thought of this, but as has been written in the paper the incident happened at a StKilda players apartment. The women involved must have had some connection with the Saints. No wonder some players were reluctant to have Lovett back. We have done the right thing.

i have already posted that according to a saints official she was gram's girlfriend....

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
tedzeeki wrote:I don't know if anyone else has thought of this, but as has been written in the paper the incident happened at a StKilda players apartment. The women involved must have had some connection with the Saints. No wonder some players were reluctant to have Lovett back. We have done the right thing.

i have already posted that according to a saints official she was gram's girlfriend....
Is this reliable? or just heresay?

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:This whole episode has been bad, but I'm trying to figure out how some in the press are trying to paint it as disasterous.
Lovett never played for the club, trained once maybe twice before Christmas.
Was suspended as soon as the allegations we're raise and now sacked.
He is no big loss too our playing personel because he was never part of it.
The players, too their credit, tried to incorporate him into the club before the incident, then totally removed any association from him once it had happened.
So there are no hurt feelings, no misguided loyalties, it's as if he never was there.
The sorry thing for Andrew Lovett is that he blew his oppotunity so badly and the only person he has to blame is the one he sees in the mirror.
Agree that Caro did her level best to paint the Saints in a bad light in her article. Pffft! No-one to blame here but Lovett.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i heard on ch10 (or maybe on the radio) that the saints sacked him due to breach of contract... that suggests to me that we're not intending to pay him.

The only criticism i'll level at our football department is this...

you don't take risks with ur 1st round pick... ur 2nd-last, sure take a gamble. But not your first

Gwilt, Sweeney, Howard, Sam Fisher... what would we have lost if none of those punts made it?
Not a lot, Fisher's success makes up for all of it.

Lovett, Brooks, Watts... what did we get in exchange for those 1st rounders... NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH

Get the best young kid everytime

stinger
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
stinger wrote:

Is this reliable? or just heresay?
well....it was a saints official who said it...he also said that lovett would never don a saints jumper and the club was fully supporting gram,....he's been right so far...and for the record..i don't post f****** hearsay ffs... :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:i heard on ch10 (or maybe on the radio) that the saints sacked him due to breach of contract... that suggests to me that we're not intending to pay him.

you don't take risks with ur 1st round pick... ur 2nd-last, sure take a gamble. But not your first

Gwilt, Sweeney, Howard, Sam Fisher... what would we have lost if none of those punts made it?

Lovett, Brooks, Watts... what did we get in exchange for those 1st rounders... NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH

I reckon thats a bit tough on Brooks and Watts. they were only second year players. hardly guys that had been around a while. Bevo would have advised they were just as good as anything we were likely to get for those picks. Obviously in hindsight he was wrong.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:Essendon, who referred him so glowingly, are a pompous pack of disingenuous fat cats who I look forward to dismembering when we play them next.

Buyer beware, I know. But I can't help but wonder whether all that we should have known was made clear.

All history now.
How can you possibly blame them. Some people just look for excuses.
Buyer beware, I know... Buyer beware, I know... Buyer beware, I know.

I can't help but wonder...I can't help but wonder...I can't help but wonder...

You obviously missed the references in the original post.

Thought I'd help you out, you self important bore.
I suppose being a bore is better than being a person who cant except things and always looks for excuses. Anyway carry on looking. You will always find one.
Tops retort, Plugger. Really put me in my place. Well done.

'Except' for Rodger Fox, I can think of no other with such wit and nous.

So by process of deduction I assume you think Essendon didn't patch over a few holes on AL's CV?

How's life in la la land Plug?
Yes i finally agree you are right. They would have known he was going to be charged with rape. Also we wouldnt have been smart enough to work out he had other issues. No you are right and i agree with you that our club isnt smart enough to work out he had other problems unless the Dons told us.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:i heard on ch10 (or maybe on the radio) that the saints sacked him due to breach of contract... that suggests to me that we're not intending to pay him.

...and the best young kid could turn out to be Joel Selwood...or Luke Molan

Drafted is an inexact science whether you go for kids or experience.

Go back 6-7 years and i reckon most clubs would have 3 first rounders that havent/didnt come on. IMO Brooks and Watts were victims of cruel injuries as much as not fulfilling potential.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
philip
Club Player

I posted below on bigfooty, in regards to queries concerning his ability to sue for unfair dismissal. can an employment lawyer run their eye over it, correct me where i am wrong and advise one and all.

philip

i don't believe he can sue for unfair dismissal, there is an exclusion if your
remuneration is above $108,300 unless he/she is on an award.

i would need another poster to advise, but I don't believe the collective bargaining agreement counts as an 'award', although i am happy to be corrected.

even if i am wrong and he is classified as an 'award' employee then a contract can be terminated if it is breached, which in this case st.kilda claims has been. what a court will assess is whether the termination was followed correctly, and the saints may have an issue or two, because whilst there may well be technical breaches of the contract, the employer (saints) will need to show evidence that the breaches were of serious nature and/or they tried to remedy the situation prior to the termination.

all in all it will be lawyers at twenty paces.

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

what about Gtrian should we not traded for him ?? or how bout Hammil ?? gardi , Farren Ray , Kingy ??? should we just picked kids then aswell ???

seriously if the role of the recriter was as easy as "pick the best kid" we all would be experts of the draft ...
fact is there wasnt any player at pick 16 that we could see making an impact the way that the former Essendon Player could ... i fell to crap but that was because of the Fomer Essendon Player not the club not the coach , not Essendon , not James Hird nor Kevin Sheedy ... all involved with the trade honestly believed this was the best thing for the saints and the former Essendon Player ....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:I reckon thats a bit tough on Brooks and Watts.
Particularly Watts. He broke his leg playing for Sandy as a 20 year old and had to retire because he was basically playing on one leg.

That, and Adelaide wound up picking Darren Pfeiffer, who never played a game for them. In the end, there were no winners in that trade.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

Go back 6-7 years and i reckon most clubs would have 3 first rounders that havent/didnt come on. IMO Brooks and Watts were victims of cruel injuries as much as not fulfilling potential.
Watts could of become anything he was very unlucky to suffer the injries he did .. as for Brooks he was just not good enough

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Watts could of become anything he was very unlucky to suffer the injries he did .. as for Brooks he was just not good enough
So a knee reco after his first year at the Saints didnt effect him?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

How about getting back on topic and that is Lovett :idea:

I just wonder when and what the AFL have to say on the matter, yes that may take a while, but I wonder if the Club has to pay out his contract or not.

Because if we do, that will effect our salary cap for 3 years...

Please correct me if I am wrong...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

I haven't seen any comments from the AFL but I do hope that they have "signed off" on our decision and that they will also "cover our "backside"" on this decision? Appreciate any comments or observations from others on this.

I have also read some comments that this decsion presents us in a "poor light"! My response would be that it would have presented us in a much poorer light if we had retained him!

I was truly looking forward to the contribution he could have made to the team in 2010. I did expect some "poor behaviour" at some stage like missing practice or some other such incident as an earlier poster has already commented, but nothing on this scale would ever have been envisaged by anyone at St. Kilda or Essendon.

We will all just have to keep on pondering on how Andrew Lovett 'thinks", as it doesn't make sense to anyone else in the country. It is just such a complete waste of an opportunity and career. there is no one else to blame but himself.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

And if we DONT have to pay out his contract...again that will effect our cap over the next three years....

:P

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
saint66au wrote:

So a knee reco after his first year at the Saints didnt effect him?
lots of players overcome knee recos and become better after it ... not many ever come good after broken legs

stinger
Saintsational Legend