Fair bet that St Kilda's Salary Cap will be investigated

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I read today that Cameron Vale was also at St Kilda with Waldron. So that is three with connections to St Kilda & Waldron and the Storm.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
philip
Club Player

Mooksy wrote: Well I'm certainly worried. Very worried.
Rightly so too.

I have it on good authority that one players (retired) contract has already been identified for review and it was not Spider's (contrary to Caro's assertion in The Age this morning).

Please don't ask me which player as I certainly will not put it on the forum until I can confirm.

That said, I promise to report more as I learn more.

philip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Well lets not think the worst and have faith in how the club has been managed. When we had the last salary cap breech, surely you would have to presume that we have been towing the line since.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Well if the Saints did cheat the cap what would be the worst the club could cop given their glorious past? A slap on the wrist? I would think most other clubs would need to be investigated as well and it would be totally unfair to single out one club. Just goes to show that the AFL aren't fair dinkum about it all as we've all be told that clubs have supposedly been scrutinised over the years. Maybe Ken Wood isn't doing his job properly?

Another opportunity awaits!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

philip wrote:I have it on good authority that one players (retired) contract has already been identified for review and it was not Spider's (contrary to Caro's assertion in The Age this morning).

Please don't ask me which player as I certainly will not put it on the forum until I can confirm.
mark mcgough? nick stone? troy schwarze, it has to be!

i have trouble getting too worried about this. we weren't paying 100% of the cap in those years, and we didn't win anything anyway.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

[quote="OneEyedSainter77"]Is anyone else worried about the implications this will have on our club's integrity?

I sure am, anyone who has had anything to do with waldron will have mud thrown at them, guilty or not.

I love this club
markp
Saintsational Legend

I think there will be a fair amount of rubbish posted in the coming days... I suggest folk just wait for something factual to materialise before crapping themselves.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:i have trouble getting too worried about this. we weren't paying 100% of the cap in those years, and we didn't win anything anyway.
Look i have to agree.

There is a fair bit of hysteria going on here which I find amusing.

My reading, and I may be too optimistic about this is that the AFL will conduct some sort of investigation with Wood asking a few questions and having a look at the books once more.

The response by Demetriou and Anderson is very ambiguious. They dont want to shoot themselves in the foot like the NRL have just done, especially over something that may or may not have happened six to eight years ago.

Anderson and Demetriou have both stated they dont reveal Ken Woods investigations, so unless the Saints have systematically rorted the SC like Melbourne Storm, you wont hear any more about it.

Really the books have already been audited and given a clean bill of health. All the Saints have to do is present the same books and its no problems.

Really some people are jumping at shadows and getting a bit hysterical.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
bergholt wrote:i have trouble getting too worried about this. we weren't paying 100% of the cap in those years, and we didn't win anything anyway.
Look i have to agree.

There is a fair bit of hysteria going on here which I find amusing.

My reading, and I may be too optimistic about this is that the AFL will conduct some sort of investigation with Wood asking a few questions and having a look at the books once more.

The response by Demetriou and Anderson is very ambiguious. They dont want to shoot themselves in the foot like the NRL have just done, especially over something that may or may not have happened six to eight years ago.

Anderson and Demetriou have both stated they dont reveal Ken Woods investigations, so unless the Saints have systematically rorted the SC like Melbourne Storm, you wont hear any more about it.

Really the books have already been audited and given a clean bill of health. All the Saints have to do is present the same books and its no problems.

Really some people are jumping at shadows and getting a bit hysterical.
Yes agree.

Although
All the Saints have to do is present the same books and its no problems.
.....I hope there is only one set.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote: Although
All the Saints have to do is present the same books and its no problems.
.....I hope there is only one set.
The Carlton flogs and the Storm flogs only got caught because they literally gave the auditors the second set of books.

Carlton flogs gave them the arong books, and Storm flogs left the other set in a cabinet in the same office :roll:

Coupled this with the fact that we were not paying 100% of the SC in 2002-2004, and we have been audited, I wouldn't be suprised if this is a usual AFL snow job and swept under the carpet. A cursory meeting, a few questions, a memo to Anderson, and nothing more.

Am I being optmistic? Maybe, however with both Anderson and Demetriou both saying that they dont make public ANY investigations, we wont hear about anything.

Wood, co-incidentally, just happens to be on leave at the moment as well.

Look at the big picture. Demetriou sees a golden opportunity, and will not allow the AFL to be tarnished by this scandal.

He has just seen a rival eliminated in Victoria, he doesn't want to give the NRL or Union the same free kick in the Northern States, especially with GC17 and GWS coming on board.

Also the way the media has handled it. A filler story on TFS (after the sensational blockbuster story about Ben Cousins giving a teammate a sleeping pill), and hardly a word in the rags today.

Softly, softly, let sleeping dogs lie, seem to be the AFL, and media's response. Report it, and move on.

Or am I being too optimistic?

Dont think so. Having studying the AFL machinations over the years, they are masters at the snowjob, and the stakes they are playing for are pretty big.

Despite what is written here, the AFL are very very smart operaters.

Never underestimate their abilty to snowjob and sweep under the carpet.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope all that comes to fruition.

Sunil_saint
Club Player

Nettlefold has just been interviewed on John Faine's ABC show. Stated that Saints had a very good and open relationship with AFL investigators (Ken Wood ??).....nothing to hide apparently and sugested The "books" were open for perusal if required. Nothing to worry about apparently............!!

Sunil

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Sunil_saint wrote:Nettlefold has just been interviewed on John Faine's ABC show. Stated that Saints had a very good and open relationship with AFL investigators (Ken Wood ??).....nothing to hide apparently and sugested The "books" were open for perusal if required. Nothing to worry about apparently............!!

Sunil
Gawd I hope thats tru, I weas also a Storm fan, would hate the saints to go thu that

I love this club
stinger
Saintsational Legend

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union ... -tg62.html

"Meanwhile, the AFL will investigate St Kilda players' contracts during Waldron's three-year stewardship of the club. The Herald understands investigator Ken Wood interviewed Waldron in 2003 over the Saints' departed ruckman Peter Everitt, who demanded more than $100,000 from his former club as he tried to recover money from his old contract.

Everitt welcomed a review of the matter, last night instructing lawyers to contact the AFL in an effort to retrieve the missing money.

''The deal with me was I had a back-ended deal - they couldn't afford to pay me much money in my first year so they upped my salary each year and the big one was the fourth year and they got rid of me - so when I left to Hawthorn they should have paid the difference, which they never did,'' Everitt said.

His wife, Sheree, added: ''Now that we think about it, unlike all Spida's other deals his dealings with Brian were never at the footy club. They were always in a coffee shop or something, and one time we met him at a Christmas party. Not until something like this happens do you stop and think about things like that.''

f*** me!!!!!!!
Last edited by stinger on Fri 23 Apr 2010 11:37am, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's certainly a wake up call to all clubs, to make sure nothing untoward is going on.

I just can't see our list commanding sums that would require this kind of doctoring of the books, I would be worried if he was with the club more recently, but back then?

kaos theory
Club Player

stinger wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union ... -tg62.html

"Meanwhile, the AFL will investigate St Kilda players' contracts during Waldron's three-year stewardship of the club. The Herald understands investigator Ken Wood interviewed Waldron in 2003 over the Saints' departed ruckman Peter Everitt, who demanded more than $100,000 from his former club as he tried to recover money from his old contract.

Everitt welcomed a review of the matter, last night instructing lawyers to contact the AFL in an effort to retrieve the missing money.

''The deal with me was I had a back-ended deal - they couldn't afford to pay me much money in my first year so they upped my salary each year and the big one was the fourth year and they got rid of me - so when I left to Hawthorn they should have paid the difference, which they never did,'' Everitt said.

His wife, Sheree, added: ''Now that we think about it, unlike all Spida's other deals his dealings with Brian were never at the footy club. They were always in a coffee shop or something, and one time we met him at a Christmas party. Not until something like this happens do you stop and think about things like that.''

f*** me!!!!!!!
1. We were no where near the salary cap limits back then, so there could not have been any routing
2. we had no money to pay everit
3. spida & co are mental migets that shoot their mouths off before thinking.

philip
Club Player

Think about players or a player who may have had a 5 year deal!!!

Also, as has been suggested on another post, if you were to look north on a compass, you would likely find the whistleblower!

philip
Last edited by philip on Fri 23 Apr 2010 11:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

philip wrote:think about players or a player who may have had a 5 year deal!!!
philip thats was after brian left, and besides the AFL has different rules in regards to salary cap than the NRL it's a lot less strict, everyone is just being paranoid

philip
Club Player

I think you will find the deal was structured before he left...

philip

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

yeah actually you are right still don't think their is anything to worry about

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

AlpineStars wrote:Hope they don't take all our premierships off us,
They might strip us of our 2004 Wizard Cup Premiership!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Nothing will happen.

We have already been investigated years back...and checks ever since.

UNLESS there is a new whistle blower that will not change.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WaggaSaint
Club Player

I thought that we were investigated last year, or the year before, and that there was a small anomaly found, nothing serious, and that we had a token fine, and that was it.

I can't remember what it was for, it could have been something simple like a date was buggered up, but apparently it was a hand on heart error, and all was forgiven (after the fine was paid of course). If this happened a year or two ago, surely then our books have been thoroughly investigated?

Nice one chopps....
kaos theory
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Nothing will happen.

We have already been investigated years back...and checks ever since.

UNLESS there is a new whistle blower that will not change.
agreed, except for the whistle blower bit....there need to be systemic curruption for that to be relevant, and I very much doubt that at the saints....no more chance than any other club

key points are:
1. waldron was at the club when we were not close to the salary cap anyway. (2002-2004)
2. the afl performs regular checks, and as you say we have been investigated and come up fine (like many other clubs).
3. It would be extremely difficult to set up anything like what has been done at the storm at an afl club. IF such a thing were done, or anything remotely like at at the saints it would have come out when the new board took over, if not earlier.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

philip wrote: Also, as has been suggested on another post, if you were to look north on a compass, you would likely find the whistleblower!

philip

I dont get it. Isn't this a case of reverse whistle blowing? He is saying he never got the money.

You can put a figure in the SC and not pay the cash. thats what all the Collingwood flogs claimed about Luke Ball.

The point is that you cant overpay, but you can underpay.

Everitt is just a money hungry opportunist grub. Already got $80k for LSL and in the year he left, Hawthorn paid him. So he is actually after double pay.

Absolute bastard :roll:

Just goes to highlight what I wrote about the grub in the other thread. A money hungry tosser who should NEVER have been given life membership.

Lance or James??