Lyon's not really concerned about loss...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
rexy wrote:Gary Ablett Jnr could be the best forward pocket in the league, no surprise though that there rise to glory coincided with his rise to a premier midfielder.
and riewoldt could have been a champion centre half back.

but goals win games, i guess, is the rationale for playing him as a forward.

you can see where i am going with this in regard to goddard.
I can, and once again I dont disagree with you about Goddard i do disagree about the midfields ability to perform without him.

Also interesting to note that whilst we were developing our side, Reiwoldt often played on the wing and even started in the guts at times, why because you need your best players around the ball. It was only when the likes of DalSanto Montagna Gramm and Goddard began to play hard contested footy that we could play Reiwoldt closer to goals at all times.

Maybe this year?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
rexy wrote:Gary Ablett Jnr could be the best forward pocket in the league, no surprise though that there rise to glory coincided with his rise to a premier midfielder.
and riewoldt could have been a champion centre half back.

but goals win games, i guess, is the rationale for playing him as a forward.

you can see where i am going with this in regard to goddard.
I can, and once again I dont disagree with you about Goddard i do disagree about the midfields ability to perform without him.

Also interesting to note that whilst we were developing our side, Reiwoldt often played on the wing and even started in the guts at times, why because you need your best players around the ball. It was only when the likes of DalSanto Montagna Gramm and Goddard began to play hard contested footy that we could play Reiwoldt closer to goals at all times.
i know you've got to win the midfield, but there is also a reason they are called key positions. they are key to your performance.

rexy
SS Life Member

I jst realised that we are going round and around debating the same thing on two threads and everyone else has given up and left us to it.

Agree to disagree me thinks, for what its worth I hope we can play Goddard forward regularly, short of Stanley Lynch or Walsh showing something extraordinary at Sandy this week I think it is our only hope of replacing Roo with a natural forward.

Lets hope the midfield lifts enough for Lyon to hold his nerve and play him there for extended periods.

Good debate, without personal insult. Hope some others have seen that it is possible.

Go saints

Maybe this year?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:I jst realised that we are going round and around debating the same thing on two threads and everyone else has given up and left us to it.

Agree to disagree me thinks, for what its worth I hope we can play Goddard forward regularly, short of Stanley Lynch or Walsh showing something extraordinary at Sandy this week I think it is our only hope of replacing Roo with a natural forward.

Lets hope the midfield lifts enough for Lyon to hold his nerve and play him there for extended periods.

Good debate, without personal insult. Hope some others have seen that it is possible.

Go saints
cheers rexy, i enjoyed it too. i wish we could clone him.

goods
Club Player

35...LEGEND wrote:Not Pleasing............pull your head out of the sand Ross.

Changes need to be made......game plan .......personnel........something please.

Knee jerk changes are what we dont need. Last night we had everything go wrong for us.

1)the ball never bounced our way
2)the umps made some decisions that were really poor
3)they took risks and on the night they paid off

We were rattled though we just need to go back to our game plan, review and train so that event does not rattle us again.

Clearly having the least amount of goals kicked against us last year got us to the GF. So what has happened since Nick has gone? He plays in offence so where was our defensive structure on Monday night? It was exposed with a team that was playing like they had nothing to loose, aggressive and risk taking, they played a high risk high reward game and it payed off though those game styles don’t win you the flag. History tells us that... the season is about the season not one game.