X and Goose

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

goose was discussed as an AA CHB in the making and geelong were making serious overtures to trade him to their club when he started getting crippled with injury.

Another bad knock for a good player.

X's was another favourite of mine, i was seeing a gilbert mccadam in the making, he certainly had, dash, flair, speed and courage. watching back into packs with that skinny frame of his and aerial marks that were spectacular.

again, his body couldn't keep pace with his mind.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:A bloke in the hawks footy department told me that Smith will be a gun - for about 70-80 games and then they expect he'll need to retire prematurely. REckons his injuries are chronic and he's destined for a life of pain. Let's hope we get 3-4 good yrs out of him at least.
If my memory is correct there were similar concerns a few years back in regards to Steve Johnson and as a result a trade to the Pies fell through.

Hopefully Jesse can put together a career with the Saints to rival SJ's last 4 or so years with the Cats.

It must be said of course that Johnson was playing football at the time of the mooted trade whereas Jesse has barely been on the paddock up until a month ago.

rexy
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Moods wrote:A bloke in the hawks footy department told me that Smith will be a gun - for about 70-80 games and then they expect he'll need to retire prematurely. REckons his injuries are chronic and he's destined for a life of pain. Let's hope we get 3-4 good yrs out of him at least.
If my memory is correct there were similar concerns a few years back in regards to Steve Johnson and as a result a trade to the Pies fell through.

Hopefully Jesse can put together a career with the Saints to rival SJ's last 4 or so years with the Cats.

It must be said of course that Johnson was playing football at the time of the mooted trade whereas Jesse has barely been on the paddock up until a month ago.
If Smith plays football for the club at senior level then I hope he is a lot more consistant than Steve Johnson, If we play a running defender who drifts in and out of games/seasons like he does then we are in real trouble. IMO.

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

If Smith plays football for the club at senior level then I hope he is a lot more consistant than Steve Johnson, If we play a running defender who drifts in and out of games/seasons like he does then we are in real trouble. IMO.
If he plays half as well as Johnson we have done very well. I doubt he can after all those injuries but you never know.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
degruch wrote:
bigred wrote:
rexy wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Goose taken at #21 in the draft

Steve Johnson taken at #24 in the draft.
Both very good picks at that position IMO.
And remember that Stevie J was a **** before he got decent.
Bartel was ordinary too...these development players tend to have their lesser moment glossed over when they become champions.
2 flags and a brownlow and about 100 good games later. i guess its fair we forget their lesser moments by now...
Can't write anyone off early, they can improve. It works the other way too.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Fair enough rexy. I may have been misinterpreted (or perhaps I didn't explain myself as well as I could have). I wasn't so much referring to Smith playing like Johnson but rather giving us value over his career like Johnson has given the Cats.

Whilst he has been wayward and inconsistent, SJ will be remembered in years to come as a very good player who often won games off his own boot and who was a big factor in an extremely successful era for Geelong.

Given his last 2 years and concerns about his longevity, I'd happily settle for a similar description of Smith's career at the Saints when he finally calls it a day. :)

rexy
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
rexy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

If he plays half as well as Johnson we have done very well. I doubt he can after all those injuries but you never know.
Half as well as Johnson can play? I agree
Half the output/contribution that Johnson gives over a month? then I beleive you are over rating Johnsons influence and consistancy.

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
rexy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Half as well as Johnson can play? I agree
Half the output/contribution that Johnson gives over a month? then I beleive you are over rating Johnsons influence and consistancy.
Maybe I am overating a top 30 player in the whol AFL compared to guy who has played 30 games in his career.

parky
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Goose taken at #21 in the draft

Steve Johnson taken at #24 in the draft.

Both very good picks at that position IMO.

2004 Draft - Matthew Egan Pick 62. James Gwilt 63

Yep Egan was a better footballer than Gwilt but Gwilt is still playing and going ok and is a very important player for us this year given the area of the ground he payes in (he release BJ to do other jobs).

Any number of draft decisions can be picked at random and looked at with 20:20 vision and the question asked why did we do that

Matt Maguire was going to be an AA CHB until 20 secs left in a game that we lost. Instead of taking back the draft pick I would wind the clock back and take him off the ground before he busted his leg (and his career)

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Rehashing the 2001 draft??!!

Just a question for anyone thinking coulda/woulda/shoulda:

Think back to any major decision in your life, and the impact it had. If you'd taken the job for company X for 5 years, instead of the one you did, would you be exactly the same person today?

The job of the recruiter is to find kids that their club can develop into players. Not only perring into the future, but applying specific criteria.

Would Judd have fared as well on Telstra Dome's surface as Subiacos?
Would Buddy Franklin have developed into the same player within Richmond's culture, or the Bulldogs?

We can guess, but hard enough to have any degree of certainty with the out and out guns. Would Johnson have pulled his head in at Collingwood? Could St Kilda have gotten Sampi to apply himself and Clarke kept his body together in the west? If Luke Molan hadn't done 2 knees, would Melbourne not look back on the most influential draft of the past decade and cringe?

We didn't exactly do badly out of '01.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford