Is it time to play Kosi Ruck or CHB!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: Firstly, not all of our players skills are poor, some players are amongst the best in the comp.
This is true - and another 'debatable' topic. It sort of falls back to the 'top 6' versus 'bottom 6' argument.

We have a lot of eggs in the 'top 6' basket. I think moreso than other clubs - and the reason is that our 'bottom 6' and even our 'middle 6' are lowly skilled. They play roles which don't have a skerrick of offence about them. If the 'top 6' are down, the rest aren't capable of turning things back in our favour.

It makes us vulnerable if a guy like Dal is out, or Roo is underdone etc.

GF aside though, it's worked. So it's hard to be too critical, however it does worry me a bit.
SainterK wrote: We have had a few shockers this year, but as I mentioned yesterday, they have not much left to do to now, to pretty much lock in a top 4 finish.

Maintain there is an air of impatience at the club, to get to the business end, then I think we'll see more of a formidable St Kilda burst out of the blocks.
That may be the case, but doesn't change the skill issue.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:I am obviously the only one who thought he did OK during his bursts in the ruck?
As I've said a couple of times this year, I reckon he's looked the most "alive" this year, during some of his stints in the ruck. That's when he's showed the most energy and spark, as far as I've seen. That's when he's looked like he wanted to be out there and I love it when he goes up in the ruck and then pushes forward quickly. That's how he was playing during that brilliant run of 3-vote games a few years ago. He'd go up in the ruck, run forward and often be alone, or in a good position to mark, if we got the ball.
He'd probably kick more goals playing that role than he has been playing permanent forward (not hard to do) and if they want someone to just be a big tree-trunk to direct the ball to in the 50 (to provide crumbs for the "smalls"), we have Big Mac and Patto, who may be physically more capable of doing that anyway.
I reckon it's going to take something like that to make us "Premiership material", as I don't see us kicking enough goals continuing on the way we're going.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
SainterK wrote:I am obviously the only one who thought he did OK during his bursts in the ruck?
As I've said a couple of times this year, I reckon he's looked the most "alive" this year, during some of his stints in the ruck. That's when he's showed the most energy and spark, as far as I've seen. That's when he's looked like he wanted to be out there and I love it when he goes up in the ruck and then pushes forward quickly. That's how he was playing during that brilliant run of 3-vote games a few years ago. He'd go up in the ruck, run forward and often be alone, or in a good position to mark, if we got the ball.
He'd probably kick more goals playing that role than he has been playing permanent forward (not hard to do) and if they want someone to just be a big tree-trunk to direct the ball to in the 50 (to provide crumbs for the "smalls"), we have Big Mac and Patto, who may be physically more capable of doing that anyway.
I reckon it's going to take something like that to make us "Premiership material", as I don't see us kicking enough goals continuing on the way we're going.
I'm a big fan of Kosi and will continue to support him. I believe he will improve and play an important role for us in the finals.

However, if people keep referring back to his "Brownlow Burst" in 2005 then, IMO, they're going to continue to be disappointed.

For many reasons that is no longer the benchmark we should judge him against.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
I'm a big fan of Kosi and will continue to support him. I believe he will improve and play an important role for us in the finals.

However, if people keep referring back to his "Brownlow Burst" in 2005 then, IMO, they're going to continue to be disappointed.

I hope you are right about the finals but Kosi was in much better form last year and was poor in the finals. Apart from hope why logically is he going to play an important part this year.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I hope you are right about the finals but Kosi was in much better form last year and was poor in the finals. Apart from hope why logically is he going to play an important part this year.
Well when all is said and done plugger, it is just hope.

It is also hope that others who disappointed in the September of 2009 will play a big role.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Well when all is said and done plugger, it is just hope.

It is also hope that others who disappointed in the September of 2009 will play a big role.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough.
I hope your hope comes off.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:

I'm in no way suggesting that I expect that he'd get back to that sort of form again. I was referring to the style of play he was playing back then.
He wouldn't have to play anywhere near that well now to be more effective for us in coming weeks than he has so far this year.
As I said, there have been bursts in the ruck this year where he's had much more spark than he's showing at FF, which is why I'd be playing him there much more, to see if it helps him lift overall. I'd probably show him videos of how he was playing during those weeks a few years ago and ask him to play that WAY again, not that WELL.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 22 Jul 2010 8:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

The finals are coming up fast and he's not looking like improving at FF.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 22 Jul 2010 8:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Who ordered the mocca, make some noise.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 22 Jul 2010 8:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We get it.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Whoops, my computer is f***ed up at the moment.