Last games in a Saints jumper for the following:

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

We got smashed at the centre clearances. You can point your finger at the outboard runners all you like - it's primarily the job of BJ, Dal, Lenny and Joey to get that done. Gram, Jones, Peake and Ray are support in that area, but if our big-4 aren't getting it done, then we're toast. Our big-4 got hammered. We were chasing all day.

Almost all the players out there were out there last week and a large number were out there last year. We have a lot of players who came awfully close to two premierships. It's not that they can't, it's just that they didn't. There may be a few guys on the periphery who lose their spots, but the younger player will have to grab them and hold onto them. They had opportunities this year, but none of them did anything like what the Pies younger brigade did.

I don't see our team as being worse than theirs, but their structure has certainly surpassed ours. Our coaches, whomever they may be, need to go away and work out a way to close the gap and find the right players for what we're going to do next year. I think the competition is wide open for the taking. It's not the time to be exploding the team in the wake of a disappointing loss. I think everyone who went out there is capable, it just didn't happen this year.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:I didn't mention any "if"s or any omens. Why did you choose to quote me?

We all agree, this will hurt for a long time. mybe some hard decisions will need to be made.
Well then what do you call this?
I Love Peter Kiel wrote:I reckon if we'd nailed a few of those goals in the second quarter the whole complexion of the game may have been different
The point I was trying to make about the omens is that too many St.Kilda supporters are looking for anything to hang their hat on when it comes to a Grand Final victory. If's and omens don't count for anything.

Another opportunity awaits!
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

OK well please don't have a go at me my friend...I didn't lose the game.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
jmcp
Club Player

samoht wrote:Gwilt, Hayes and Goddard gave a yelp at least ... but the Collingwood 22 were just too good .

Well deserved by the Pies ...
we need to live to 200 to see the next Saint premiership !
there's something about gwilt i admire. been watching him improve over the last four years. was one of few who enhanced his reputation throughout the finals series.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I actually thought Hayes was pretty crap in the replay.

I say trade him for picks.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Until the likes of Peake, Eddy, McQualter become genuine depth players replaced with young, quick players with sure disposal we'll continue to come up short. (Miles, Smith, Steven & Winmar)

This then starts to push stalwarts like Baker, Blake and Milne to our bottom 6.

Add to this tall, strong, quick forwards (Stanley & fingers crossed, Walsh) then Kosi starts to see that he needs to stand up in big games, most likely as a 2nd ruckman if he wishes to keep his spot.

If Lynch can be given a prolonged run, perhaps at half back then we may have a successor for Blake.

We can no longer just rely on Fisher, Gilbert and Gwilt to be the only ones who move the ball forward from the backline. This creates too much pressure to run on our mids if we have 3 down there who can run forward or even move the ball forward with speed and surety.

We do need to trade & recruit but it has to be in conjunction with a succession plan as well as a new, improved version of Saints Footy, one with the discipline but also with some flair and a desire to attack and attack quickly at the slightest of opportunities.

We can't just throw all the toys out of the cot!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

People bagging Milne and suggesting he be delisted or traded can seriously GET F***** as far as I'm concerned!

Milne is a champion and for a small forward his record is outstanding!

We would not have even made the top four most likely without his efforts during the year and ............

oh why bother, just go and GET F*****

FAIR DINKUM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
derby Street
Club Player

Re: Last games in a Saints jumper for the following:

saintbob wrote:Milne, McQualter, Peake and Eddy!!

Milne- big stage failure again, cheap kicks at the end

McQualter - just doesn't know what to do with it, the very few times he gets it!!

Peale- just a waste of a draft choice

Eddy - just mystifies me every time he gets a game
What an objective post! !!! You have got to be joking - how would you like to be a Saints forward the last 2 weeks? Don't be a hero and just rate them on one one game - and why don't you consider the role that they are asked to play by Ross. I do however have issues with Peake and Eddy's disposal and decision making - but I have had that all year.
Also take into account Eddy had a busted arm and the TOG for them all.
They never played well but stupid to say they should never play for the Saints again.

Winmar
Club Player

Our forwards weren't given much hope by the woeful delivery the received. Some didn't exactly make the most of the chances they did get, but their team mates didn't help their cause.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Milne was our leading goalkicker this year with a total of 57 for the season, including 9 goals from 4 finals. He was the player who stood up most when Riewoldt was out and kept our forward line functioning. He had a crap day on Saturday but so did about 16 saints players on the field.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Seriously people, look at the output of Koschitzke, Eddy, and McQualter. THey pose little or no threat to the opposition, and this has not just been a finals phenomenon.

Time to get realistic about their output and their impact on the game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Look at how many forward 50 entries over two games seriously we are efficient for what came down there.

Roos only chance of touching it was to run up the field leaving often no one home if we did get it.

Lenny didn't win first use of the ball, L.Ball did. They had clean quick ball use when they dished it off.

We were smashed in the midfield. Everyone that wants kids played should look at Eddy and see what happens when guys without a lot of games get on the big stage under massive pressure. Now he is a scape goat for our anger.

Montagna never looked right after the Geelong game, CJ was running with a broken foot, Dal Santo didn't look right after the dogs and Gram was seriously restricted.

If we had dropped those guys, put in Armo, Geary, Stanley and Miles/Steven would we have won?- who knows. But I guarantee you that the mystified fans would question the selection of those guys if we had had the same result. I don't think it would have been a positive experience had those guys come in and lost.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Regarding Milne, how quickly have we forgotten his performance in the first week of the finals against Geelong?

But we do need to get rid of a number of players. We should be turning over our bottom few each year, otherwise how can we improve?