Gaertner Going .. ????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
. if u dont want to play footy u dont want to play footy.
I suspect that the playing footy part is fine. 2 hours of competitive action.

But that the training: pumpoing weights, running laps, dooing drills etc...just does not grab him.

Some like Banger enjoy it...others just suffer through it..
yeah. by "playing footy" i mean the whole afl thing. beetham for instance was happy enough paying in the ammos.

markp
Saintsational Legend

The potential rewards are enormous, but the dedication required and the ability to deal with relentless and highly stressful physical workloads must be too.

How much harder to face at the very start of pre-season (when all your mates are gearing up for summer) for a kid of 20?

jays
Club Player

feel bad for the guy

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Plenty of perks but there is a sacrifice.

It would be frustrating as a 20 year old to see all your mates going out every weekend, getting drunk and having the time of their lives.

Some of them might go travelling together too, on a European summer trip maybe.

You can't do any of that as an AFL footballer. It's a major lifestyle sacrifice and that's probably why AFL players tend to become such great mates with their teammates because you simply can't live anywhere near a similar life to those not on an AFL list.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Sorry to see a young player move on, but IMHO our players at Sandy in the 2010 season just didn't show enough hunger to warrant senior games.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My question.... Since List Lodgement 3 was yesterday, is'nt it too late now for us to be able to pick up a rookie to replace him? Wont we have to carry his spot for the whole season now?

shmic_s
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:My question.... Since List Lodgement 3 was yesterday, is'nt it too late now for us to be able to pick up a rookie to replace him? Wont we have to carry his spot for the whole season now?
I'm not sure exactly, but you'd think with the rookie draft still to take place we can select our full quota.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Well..

Harden the f*** up or get the f*** out.

Chosen the wrong career path.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Well..

Harden the f*** up or get the f*** out.

Chosen the wrong career path.
Bit rough red!

By all accounts the guy's making arrangements to get out. I'm sure blokes have joined the Army or Police Force or whatever only to find it wasn't for them. These things happen.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Exactly.

If you cant commit to the workload, then its not for you.

There is the door.

Its not harsh, its just life....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Bono
Club Player

He was a waste of a pick. They should of delisted him off their own bat, not wait for him to approach them and go through his issues with why he wasnt getting a go. He had a good 2006 U16s and has severley gone backwards since then.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Not everyone has the same dreams to play AFL. Fair enough.

Cant get over people wanting young players that havnt deserved a game to be included in the seniors while we are near the top...

If people on here had their way 30 players would run out each week in Saints colours.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:He was a waste of a pick. They should of delisted him off their own bat, not wait for him to approach them and go through his issues with why he wasnt getting a go. He had a good 2006 U16s and has severley gone backwards since then.
Pick 53 in the Rookie Draft.

Yeah, real waste of a pick :roll: :roll: :roll:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Now on the HS website

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5960802722

As I have said previously I am a fan, but really how does a guy who was about to enter his 3rd year on the rookie list warrant this media attention? :?
The media are clearly desperate for a story when a rookie who has never played a senior game wanting out becomes a headline.....
no it's more likely that some in the media would like to find deeep dark secrets behind people leavng the saints = and as much as any one person who has done so can say differant - slants like that story and commentators wanting to' break news'.

and maybe we are getting ' big enough' as a club that just like the pies- everything we do is scrutinised--

re delist date- given he supposedly told the club yesterday then maybe they did make list lodgment time...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bono
Club Player

[quote="Dr Spaceman"][quote="Bono"]He was a waste of a pick. They should of delisted him off their own bat, not wait for him to approach them and go through his issues with why he wasnt getting a go. He had a good 2006 U16s and has severley gone backwards since then.[/quote]

Yeah, real waste of a pick :roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote]

Yeah - a waste of a pick. Considering Jay van Berlo, Greg Broughton, Sam Jacobs, Scott Reed and Matt Suckling were taken after him.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bono wrote:He was a waste of a pick. They should of delisted him off their own bat, not wait for him to approach them and go through his issues with why he wasnt getting a go. He had a good 2006 U16s and has severley gone backwards since then.

Yeah, real waste of a pick :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yeah - a waste of a pick. Considering Jay van Berlo, Greg Broughton, Sam Jacobs, Scott Reed and Matt Suckling were taken after him.
Fair point, but so were a heap of blokes that never made it. No way of knowing who we would have picked if not SG (we also took Ross Tungatulum before Broughton)

Gaertner probably had just as much potential as the players you mention but neither the club or SG himself probably had any idea that 2 years in the system would take away his enthusiasm for the game.

Really, if we're talking wasted draft picks there's years of examples we could cite that would be more relevant than this one IMO.

It's certainly not in the Michael Frost class of wastage :wink:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Good luck in whatever you choose to do with your life Steven.
I've enjoyed watching you play at Sandy.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
saintlee wrote:

As I have said previously I am a fan, but really how does a guy who was about to enter his 3rd year on the rookie list warrant this media attention? :?
The media are clearly desperate for a story when a rookie who has never played a senior game wanting out becomes a headline.....
no it's more likely that some in the media would like to find deeep dark secrets behind people leavng the saints = and as much as any one person who has done so can say differant - slants like that story and commentators wanting to' break news'.

and maybe we are getting ' big enough' as a club that just like the pies- everything we do is scrutinised--

re delist date- given he supposedly told the club yesterday then maybe they did make list lodgment time...
Crap. But at least get the chip off your shoulder. You look like you have a slant.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
saintlee wrote:

Crap. But at least get the chip off your shoulder. You look like you have a slant.
Why would they say this then plugger....

If Gaertner is released, as expected, he will add to the exodus at Moorabbin in recent months.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
saintlee wrote:

Why would they say this then plugger....

If Gaertner is released, as expected, he will add to the exodus at Moorabbin in recent months.
You are actually right. They are all after us. They would never say that about another club. Just out of interest do you take everything written about other clubs and study it like you would the Saints?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:[
I'll mention it to the physiotherapist

But why mention coaches leaving in a story about a rookie?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I'll agree with p66 in as much as some posters do tend to jump at shadows on occasions.

However this one is a bit strange. The Age had a small piece on Gaertner this morning however the online HS this afternoon had it as their lead AFL story. A guy who was pick 53 in the Rookie Draft 2 years ago, who has never played seniors or even looked close to it, is thinking of giving it away. I don't analyze the media on rival clubs but I don't recall any stories of the departure of rookies, or untried senior listed players for that matter, that have been so prominent.

And the reference to coaching departures is, IMO, raised in the same way some posters have to imply there's a problem with Saints/Ross/Seaford.

If a journo's got something to say they should just say it!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Sorry to see a young player move on, but IMHO our players at Sandy in the 2010 season just didn't show enough hunger to warrant senior games.

the fact none of them did tells me something wasnt right. u cant tell me they are all no good. the coach didnt encourage performance. only roles and positions. which isnt very motivational. i have a feeling the penny has dropped and the kids will be more motivated and there will be more mobility and performance based promotion with less emphasis on role and more on footy talent.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
borderbarry wrote:It seems an odd time to be wanting to leave the club. Will he be delisted at List Lodgement 3., and will we pick up an additional rookie to compesnate?
But what about him? Could he have been promised a rookie spot and possible games elsewhere?
List Lodgement 3 was yesterday bb so it appears not.
He was on the rookie list at list lodgement No2.
The club website makes no mention of him being cut from the rookie list so it is reasonable to assume he was still rookie listed at Lodgement No3.
The AFL is yet to publish these.

The number of rookie picks St Kilda gets is locked in stone at List Lodgement No3.
If he did not notify the club in time for them to drop him before list Lodgement No3, he will cost St Kilda and another kid a rookie place at St Kilda.

If St Kilda did not delist him at List Lodgement No3, he can not nominate for the rookie or pre-season draft, because the cutoff for out of contract listed players to nominate was before List Lodgement No3.
His only AFL football choice for 2011 is as a rookie at St Kilda.

If he quits he is very unlikely to be ever picked up by another AFL club ever.
They would not waste a place on someone who is not fully committed.
His decision is one he has to live with the rest of his life.
It is a tough call for a kid of his age.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

sainter35 wrote:
savatage wrote:Geez people talk s*** on here.

Listen, he basically doesn't have the commitment to live the AFL lifestyle - training non stop, eating & breathing football, it's not the life he wants.

Kudos to him for being honest with himself & kudos to the club for giving him every opportunity to prove himself.
And kudos to him for making the decision now and allowing the club to have an extra selection in the rookie draft.
Too late - List Lodgement No3 was the cutoff.
If he quits, St Kilda does not get a replacement rookie.
He will simply have blocked the chance for another kid who really wants a rookie place.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA