Big mid fielders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
borderbarry wrote:6.3". Hmmm. Dont think so. But still a giant in his day.
Actually I agree with Stinger that he was 193cms (in today's measurement) but in those days he was 6 foot 4 inches tall.
He was a huge man but by no means the tallest going around - Len Thompson, Graeme Fellowes were taller than him by a fair way (JPBFC can confirm this I think)

But Alan Morrow was about 5 foot 10/11 and Brian Mynott was a bout 6 foot 2 (or3), so Carl was certainaly our tallest player.
I think the first player we got that was taller than Carl was Rod Galt?

no john mcmillian was taller at 198 cm.....or about 6'61/2"...but he only payed two years with carl....63/4....

mynott and carl were the same height at 193cm.....as was gary sidebottom...

jeff sarau was smaller again at 191cm...as was john mcintosh....and cowboy even smaller at around 188cm.....

brian sierakowski was also 193cm.....

you are right about galt being taller .....he comes in at 194cm...

our other ruckman from that era was shane..grambeau ...he was..is...191cm...

...alan morrow was a true 6 footer at 183cm.......same height as robbie muir actually.... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

talk about the tortoise and the hare

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Basically all players will do time in the midfield in the coming years.

I don't like it, but that's the way the game is going. You'll have a couple of key forwards and backs and the rest will be on the ball. It's just about being able to control it in a gameplan.
Agreed. Only got to see the numbers Collingwood rotate through their to see thats where its going.

Raph could handle the midfield IF his tank is bog enough.

Hes mobile enough, has defensive cabilities caise hes played there enough and is capable overhead.....could be a handy oversized mid....aka Kouta....

“Yeah….nah””
rexy
SS Life Member

Think Raph is the most likely of the trio mentioned to play any meaningful time in the middle, I agree that he may have the potential to be more of a wingman than a centre square mid though. I beleive that the 360 degree awareness needed to play at centre bounces would be the biggest issue for all 3.

I think Raph is in our best 22 as a utility, can play tall and small down back and could play on a wing or as a high HFF IMO.

Good OP, provoked some positive debate.

Maybe this year?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Big mid fielders

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Dont understand this fascination with moving guys from their best positions to places where they will never be as effective.
How do you know that if they've never been tried there? The midfield was smashed in GF2 and needs strengthening IMO.

After Lenny, BJ, Dal and Joey we tend to fall away a bit.
Well lets play Zac there as well as big Ben. Raph aint a mid or our coaches cant coach. Cant have it both ways.
Raph may go in the midfield at some point, not like he is super old and one dimensional.

You could be right. They may wait until he has played at least ten years before they work it out. We must have very poor coaches.
Put Raph at FF and Roo as a running hb. Kosi can play CHB as he can break open packs and flick it to Roo who can pump it in to the likes of Raph and Steven. It's radical but some massive changes needed if we are not going to fall off.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintslegendLH
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Dont understand this fascination with moving guys from their best positions to places where they will never be as effective.
How do you know that if they've never been tried there? The midfield was smashed in GF2 and needs strengthening IMO.

Well lets play Zac there as well as big Ben. Raph aint a mid or our coaches cant coach. Cant have it both ways.
Raph may go in the midfield at some point, not like he is super old and one dimensional.

You could be right. They may wait until he has played at least ten years before they work it out. We must have very poor coaches.
We have very good coaches and you'll find Raph in the midfield this year.
Thank goodness you are not a coach.

Really BS?

He didnt play all that much in the midfield during juniors - Was a forward by memory.

Just can't see Raph having comparable (to other midfield players) ability in contested possession and clearances.

Can see him running through the midfield from half back, and utilising his marking and spoiling abilities...

But midfield as in a pure midfielder sense I really cant see.

Maybe wing... For a quarter.

i think you will find that your wrong about him not being a midfielder, my physio at my footy club played for st mary's when he was younger, he played with both raph and x, he said they would both just tear up the midfield. raph is relatively young and hbf was a great position for him to make a transition into afl football but im pretty sure we will see him play wing and midfield, due to the fact he has extreme talent and because we have young talent coming through that will play at hbf.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

We have had very good coaches in the past and none, I repeat none, have put Raph in the midfield. Playing there for 5 minutes a game doesnt make him a mid. His best position is running half back and that is where he will stay. Thang god we have good coaches.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

We have had very good coaches in the past and none, I repeat none, have put Raph in the midfield. Playing there for 5 minutes a game doesnt make him a mid. His best position is running half back and that is where he will stay. Thang god we have good coaches.
None of the put Raph at FF so they can't be that good.

saintslegendLH
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

omg plugger, just because U think that he is good there, doesnt mean its his best position. ffs he was first put as hbf for development as was gram. if the coaches think raph is developed he will play mid/wing and WILL be the x factor we need. if he didnt do his hammy last season i have no doubt that in the first few games he would be trialled in the mid.

saintslegendLH
Club Player

and btw if we used the theory (never move raph hbf is his position) for all our players we would soon be a bottom 8 club. This would make us the most predictable club in the afl. why do you think clubs like hawthorn have one successful year and then drop off a bit. why do you think we are now changing out gameplan, we became predictable and moves like raph gilbo, kosi (mabye blake) in the ruck etc. make us a hell of alot more dangerous, even if those players arn't performing as well as they 'may' in another position

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintslegendLH wrote:and btw if we used the theory (never move raph hbf is his position) for all our players we would soon be a bottom 8 club. This would make us the most predictable club in the afl. why do you think clubs like hawthorn have one successful year and then drop off a bit. why do you think we are now changing out gameplan, we became predictable and moves like raph gilbo, kosi (mabye blake) in the ruck etc. make us a hell of alot more dangerous, even if those players arn't performing as well as they 'may' in another position
I'd like to see Kosi alternate between mid and CHB.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
saintslegendLH wrote:and btw if we used the theory (never move raph hbf is his position) for all our players we would soon be a bottom 8 club. This would make us the most predictable club in the afl. why do you think clubs like hawthorn have one successful year and then drop off a bit. why do you think we are now changing out gameplan, we became predictable and moves like raph gilbo, kosi (mabye blake) in the ruck etc. make us a hell of alot more dangerous, even if those players arn't performing as well as they 'may' in another position
Will never be CHB ever again. His body has changed too much to meet the requirements for that position.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintslegendLH wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

omg plugger, just because U think that he is good there, doesnt mean its his best position. ffs he was first put as hbf for development as was gram. if the coaches think raph is developed he will play mid/wing and WILL be the x factor we need. if he didnt do his hammy last season i have no doubt that in the first few games he would be trialled in the mid.

What i am saying is fact. What you are saying is made up rubbish. By the way I didnt put him there, our coaches did and in 7 years he has never played as a mid.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: By the way I didnt put him there, our coaches did and in 7 years he has never played as a mid.
You say 7 years, but seriously, his body has limited him having a good run to cement any kind of spot yet....what's he played, only about 60 games in that time?

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
borderbarry wrote:and Gilbo rotated through the midfield occasionally.
I think you will find that Gilbo will play HF rotating trough the midfield.

Walsh...can't see it in 2011...still has a lot to learn. If he cracks senior time in 2011 it most likely will be as a pure forward or defender.

Raph. HBF.
Raph RHB (short for ReHaB) It is only a matter of time until he hams it up again.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

Personally I thought one reason Hawthorn fell away was the AFL rule change to penalise deliberate taking out the running player when beaten by a one two.

In their winning grand final Hawthorn gave away masses of free kicks when a Geelong player hand passed to a teamate to run past a Hawthorn opponent.
Once past the Hawthorn player the Geelong player could receive the ball back and thus beat Hawthorn's zone.
Hawthorn simply threw to the ground the player who had handpassed the ball giving away a professional free kick.
The time to return the ball allowed Hawthorn time to relocate and reset its' zone.

The AFL did not want to assist zones by allowing this cheating, so made it a 50 metre penalty for this Hawthorn tactic.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintslegendLH
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintslegendLH wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

What i am saying is fact. What you are saying is made up rubbish. By the way I didnt put him there, our coaches did and in 7 years he has never played as a mid.
sorry whats is made up about it? it is a known fact that players are put in positions such as hbf for development?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintslegendLH wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintslegendLH wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

sorry whats is made up about it? it is a known fact that players are put in positions such as hbf for development?
What is made up is the statement he will play mid/ wing and that last season if he didnt do his hammy he would be trailled as a mid. The facts are clear. He hasnt as yet and that is because the coaches obviously dont think he can play in that position otherwise in the last 7 years surely he would have been tried there.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintslegendLH wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintslegendLH wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

What is made up is the statement he will play mid/ wing and that last season if he didnt do his hammy he would be trailled as a mid. The facts are clear. He hasnt as yet and that is because the coaches obviously dont think he can play in that position otherwise in the last 7 years surely he would have been tried there.
Play him forward as that's where he started at St Mary's. Roo and Kosi will bang it down to him and if doesn't put them through the big stcks Mini will. It's make or break and we need to roll the dice on this but the pay off will be huge.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I think Gilbo will start the year as a permanent forward but end up back in defence before round 10 at which point he will be given the occassional run up forward.

If we are to become more attacking next year, the brains trust will quickly realise you have to setup from half back and Gilbo is one of our most attacking defenders.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Play him forward as that's where he started at St Mary's. Roo and Kosi will bang it down to him and if doesn't put them through the big stcks Mini will. It's make or break and we need to roll the dice on this but the pay off will be huge.
Yeah, it sounds good in theory BUT...

Just my opinion, he seems to lack confidence playing at the highest level to make and read play and "present"....

I maybe wrong, but he seems to be more comfortable in the back half playing at the top level, where he can just play off is opponent and run forward.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:I think Gilbo will start the year as a permanent forward but end up back in defence before round 10 at which point he will be given the occassional run up forward.

If we are to become more attacking next year, the brains trust will quickly realise you have to setup from half back and Gilbo is one of our most attacking defenders.
I have similar thoughts.

PJ
SS Life Member

Actually it'd be interesting to know ppl's definition of a midfielder.

Is it the old fashion idea of a follower - one that follows the ball around?

Anywhere between half back line and half forward line or is it those that are given the above role in rotation?

Any others?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
I'd like to see Kosi win the goalkicking at Sandy.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
I'd like to see Kosi win the goalkicking at Sandy.
Wouldnt that earn him a recall to the seniors?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

When I originally suggested Raph to go into the midfield in this thread, I dont mean for him to replace Lenny in the Centre or Dal on the ball, but for him to have an occasional run on the ball, say replacing BJ when he is having a spell, so that we have a large mid or on baller constantly. We fell down so badly on the ball and mid field in GF2 that we have to do something. And I would certainly have at least two additional speedsters in the side each week. We cant continue to plod.