Team changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

We could throw in Burke, Thompson, King and Harvey, they would add a bit of grit :wink:

suss
Club Player

degruch wrote:
suss wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Certainly the wrong game to add debutanats unless they are definately the right player for the job. Why would it matter if they come in this week or in 3 weeks time. It isnt going to make in any difference in either short or long term to the player but may make a difference to the result.
True enough… maybe hold out a week or two for anymore, just hate seeing the old hats selected because of what they used to do…
And plus bringing more debutants this week would be lambs to the slaughter. It just wouldn't do a players introduction to the big time any good at all. You have to pick you matches and this week is going to be messy. I say time to put a few of the kids back out to kindy and bring in the list cloggers. They will be gone years end anyway and the result is meaningless this week in terms of the future. Yes a win would help development and belief in the game plan, blah blah blah but the reality is we is really up against it this week.
We've won more games with the youngsters in team than the list cloggers...why the hell would you go back to a losing formula just because you're playing the #2 team? Sounds counter-intuative to me.

I think Ross will play Ledger too. Several people on here seem to think that you need to be dominating the VFL before Ross gives you a game. Wrongo bongo. If he sees something special in a player, then that player will get a game. Neither Cripps, Syposs or Winmar had been getting 30 touches a week before they got a call-up.
Sounds counter-intuative to me. Which seasoned finals campaigners shall we line our debutants up against? You pick the best guys for the job at AFL level, then you look to VFL performers. A win will do a lot for the club. Who wants a loss, and a repeat of what we did to Lynch last year?
I'm really not sure what you're saying there. I can't quite see the point in comparing our younger players to their premiership players. I would've thought it made more sense to compare our younger players to our older players and see who brings most to the table. I'd certainly rather see Ledger get a game before Eddy or Mini if that's what you're suggesting.

And don't worry about these players getting hurt - they'll be fine. I remember one of our players getting a shirt-front from Glenn Archer in his first game and we all know how he turned out.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
degruch wrote:
suss wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Certainly the wrong game to add debutanats unless they are definately the right player for the job. Why would it matter if they come in this week or in 3 weeks time. It isnt going to make in any difference in either short or long term to the player but may make a difference to the result.
True enough… maybe hold out a week or two for anymore, just hate seeing the old hats selected because of what they used to do…
And plus bringing more debutants this week would be lambs to the slaughter. It just wouldn't do a players introduction to the big time any good at all. You have to pick you matches and this week is going to be messy. I say time to put a few of the kids back out to kindy and bring in the list cloggers. They will be gone years end anyway and the result is meaningless this week in terms of the future. Yes a win would help development and belief in the game plan, blah blah blah but the reality is we is really up against it this week.
We've won more games with the youngsters in team than the list cloggers...why the hell would you go back to a losing formula just because you're playing the #2 team? Sounds counter-intuative to me.

I think Ross will play Ledger too. Several people on here seem to think that you need to be dominating the VFL before Ross gives you a game. Wrongo bongo. If he sees something special in a player, then that player will get a game. Neither Cripps, Syposs or Winmar had been getting 30 touches a week before they got a call-up.
Sounds counter-intuative to me. Which seasoned finals campaigners shall we line our debutants up against? You pick the best guys for the job at AFL level, then you look to VFL performers. A win will do a lot for the club. Who wants a loss, and a repeat of what we did to Lynch last year?
I'm really not sure what you're saying there. I can't quite see the point in comparing our younger players to their premiership players. I would've thought it made more sense to compare our younger players to our older players and see who brings most to the table. I'd certainly rather see Ledger get a game before Eddy or Mini if that's what you're suggesting.

And don't worry about these players getting hurt - they'll be fine. I remember one of our players getting a shirt-front from Glenn Archer in his first game and we all know how he turned out.
We'll see...certainly, I'd imagine Clarke and (unfortunately) Gram, and Kosi (if uninjured) will be in before any of the 3 you mentioned. Mini gets brought in as a tackling machine, which could be useful. However, I'd like to see Walsh on Dawes or Cloke though.

Lynch didn't get injured against Essesndon, he got towled up by an AA and took about 9 months to get back to form as a result.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
suss wrote:
degruch wrote:
suss wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote:

We'll see...certainly, I'd imagine Clarke and (unfortunately) Gram, and Kosi (if uninjured) will be in before any of the 3 you mentioned. Mini gets brought in as a tackling machine, which could be useful. However, I'd like to see Walsh on Dawes or Cloke though.

Lynch didn't get injured against Essesndon, he got towled up by an AA and took about 9 months to get back to form as a result.
More correctly:

"Lynch didn't get injured against Essesndon, he got towled up by an AA and took about 9 months to get back in the seniors."

suss
Club Player

degruch wrote:Lynch didn't get injured against Essesndon, he got towled up by an AA and took about 9 months to get back to form as a result.
I don't know whether lost confidence cost Lynch 8 months on the sidelines - I think it was for other reasons - but I'm happy to disagree.

I was of course referring to Lenny's first game where he copped a massive Glenn Archer shirt front. Lenny clearly had the spine to bounce back. I reckon Ledger will get a game this week and I think he's mature enough (based on the interviews I've seen) to cope with the attention he'll no doubt get.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Whatever way you look at it, if there are debutants this week it certainly would be a statement by RL that he wants to test you out.

It's the ultimate acid test for a debutant and also for the young kids that have just made their debuts this year.

If you are quickly trying to find out who can cut it in the big games then this is the week to try it on. And then what do you do if they are a complete failure and we get belted by 100 points. Move them on at the end of the year. Put the list cloggers back in this week.

It's all about 2012.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:It's all about 2012.
I get your point, I don't agree, but that's what forums are for.

However, I'm certain no-one at the club is thinking of 2012 at the moment, and neither should we. Look at our 2008, or if you want real inspiration, looks at the Crows 1998, the season's not dead yet.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:

However, I'm certain no-one at the club is thinking of 2012 at the moment, and neither should we. Look at our 2008, or if you want real inspiration, looks at the Crows 1998, the season's not dead yet.
Fair call. It's a fine line between hope and reality though in AFL.

Just out of curiosity can you remind me what happened to our 2008 and also to the crows in 98?

SaintTom
Club Player

Crows of 98 won the flag. Saints of 08 went on as rank outsiders to reach the four in the final round in spectacular fashion and make it to the preliminary final, on the way to a 19 game winning streak and near premiership in 09.

We can still give a crack at 11 without shattering hope of 12. We've already blooded new players, and we still can, that doesn't mean we're 'scrapping the year and getting ready for next year'.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
degruch wrote:

Fair call. It's a fine line between hope and reality though in AFL.

Just out of curiosity can you remind me what happened to our 2008 and also to the crows in 98?
2008: Poor first half of the year for Saints, made the finals (only to implode against the Hawks for no apparent reason).

1998 (and 1997): Even poorer starts for the Crows, won GF from 5th position.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:Crows of 98 won the flag. Saints of 08 went on as rank outsiders to reach the four in the final round in spectacular fashion and make it to the preliminary final, on the way to a 19 game winning streak and near premiership in 09.

We can still give a crack at 11 without shattering hope of 12. We've already blooded new players, and we still can, that doesn't mean we're 'scrapping the year and getting ready for next year'.
Exactly StT...thanks.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:Crows of 98 won the flag. Saints of 08 went on as rank outsiders to reach the four in the final round in spectacular fashion and make it to the preliminary final, on the way to a 19 game winning streak and near premiership in 09.

Funny thing was, that after sitting through those 2 finals where we were belted by 10 goals, I remember genuinely feeling like we were a long way off…
just shows that…
things can turn quickly
&
you shouldn't listen to anything i say

degruch
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Funny thing was, that after sitting through those 2 finals where we were belted by 10 goals, I remember genuinely feeling like we were a long way off…
just shows that…
things can turn quickly
&
Geelong defeat I expected (not by that much though), but then getting thumped by a Hawthorn team we'd easily accounted for 8 weeks beforehand??? Weird...big turn-around. We're a better team now IMO, but this week will show where we're really at.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
dragit wrote:

just shows that…
things can turn quickly
&
Geelong defeat I expected (not by that much though), but then getting thumped by a Hawthorn team we'd easily accounted for 8 weeks beforehand??? Weird...big turn-around. We're a better team now IMO, but this week will show where we're really at.
The Crows flag against us = fairy tale. The only team to do it outside top 4. That victory proves it can be done though I suppose.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: The Crows flag against us = fairy tale. The only team to do it outside top 4. That victory proves it can be done though I suppose.
Incorrect.

They won it in 98 from outside the top 4, not 97.

It was a different system as well, they won the flag despite finishing fifth and losing their first final.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
degruch wrote:
dragit wrote:

just shows that…
things can turn quickly
&
The Crows flag against us = fairy tale. The only team to do it outside top 4. That victory proves it can be done though I suppose.
It was 1998 when they won outside the top 4. No side has got close under the current format. I would say it is just about impossible to win outside the top 4 at the moment.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

like the idea of leger in for winmar. Hopefully lynch and syposs are boh fit and fine. If dempster does not come up then baker in for him. But dempster is in front when fit.

If blake is out then either walsh or kosi. Perhaps stanley as a suprise?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
degruch wrote:
dragit wrote:

just shows that…
things can turn quickly
&
It was 1998 when they won outside the top 4. No side has got close under the current format. I would say it is just about impossible to win outside the top 4 at the moment.
Stand corrected. However I agree with P66. No top 4 = no chance. However I acknoledge fairy tales can happen. Not this year though.

I wonder if Malcom Blight still thinks we are going to win the premiership. He was the only pundit that picked us at the start of the year.

Bring on 2012.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Given we had such a good win last week, I doubt we'll make many changes to the team unless out of necessity given how sore a couple of the guys probably are. Really looking forward to seeing Ledger have a go. Poor Crippsy....

Walsh is still on the Rookie list isn't he or has he been elevated due to the injury to Cripps or Hayes?

SaintSimmo
Club Player

OUT: Lynch (inj), Winmar (dropped)
IN: Gram, Walsh

Sainter for life.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

With Peake getting repremanded that is one change we dont have to worry about.

older saint
SS Life Member

Obviously some fitness tests to be had.

Out: Dempster (Inj)
In: Clarke

Must pick players on form.

If Lynch out then look at perhaps Johnson or Walsh as a forward option.

Kosi run in the 2's unless Blake out
Baker - 2's where he should have been heading before suspension

Let see Ledger do it for a couple weeks and then perhaps replace a tiring Winmar / Siposs etc.

To the top
SS Life Member

The problem with going with McEvoy and Blake as the ruckmen is that Blake can not play forward giving support to Riewoldt (and allowing him to play up the ground) and creating space for the goals we are now creating from our runners, a feature of our last 2 games.

Therefore I would expect Koschitzke to be an automatic selection given his fitness.

If Blake is fit the only position open to him is in defence - and given the usage of Fisher that may be his lifeline at least until Simpkin is given his opportunity.

I would also expect Clarke to come back in - he is easily in our best 22.

Injuries may well determine who misses out.

We will need to play plenty of the game in our forward half so the pressure will be on our rucks and our mids to stifle and push the ball our way using every opportunity and with clean and accurate disposal - we will also need to be bold and creative from defence to transition the ball from the contest area the mad man's team proliferate to our line breakers.

We have to turn the stifling pressure and opportunities resulting from that stifling pressure to our advantage.

We know that will play the boundary so they have a "get out" to get numbers up and create their stifling pressure thru those numbers - but we also have to guard the centre so they do not get a loose player in the corridor or on the switch.

If it is man on man ugly, contested pack upon pack footy so be it.

And that will mean our rucks are vitally important.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:
Therefore I would expect Koschitzke to be an automatic selection given his fitness.
Are you saying Kosi's fit to play this week? If so, where did you get that information?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Baker started to really show some run against Hawthorn, especially early and I think he's the obvious match-up for Krakouer. If Dempster is out, I'd be bringing Bakes in for him. If Dempster plays I'd probably bring Bakes in for Winmar, who could probably do with finding some good form in the two's again.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 31 May 2011 3:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.