Ross wants a forward (even at a cost), so...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Tiprat44
Club Player

Hasn't Walsh also stated that he really wants to play up forward?

"Schneider, here is Hayes belting forward....GODDARD!"
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Ross wants a forward (even at a cost), so...

perfectionist wrote:Who's available and who would you take?

Dunno if he is available, but I'd go for Chris Dawes and pay him $2 million for 3 years. If the Pies can beat that, then we will know they are cheating. Kill two birds...
Would be the most OVERPAID forward in the game if that ever happened.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Drafting Fevola is idiotic, he is a washed up footballer and poison at any club.
I notice carlton are doing a lot better without him, it isn't a left field idea it is a stupid idea.
Barry Hall didn't get the Bulldogs a premiership, he wont even wont last this season, personally I think the Dogs we're dumb to draft him, it smacked of desperation and they are paying for it now.
And like our club needs the sort of headlines Fevola brings.
You don't recruit 30+ year old footballers for the future of the club, especially ones with the baggage that Fevola brings.
If we are going to recruit a forward, as I said previously, it must be someone who can give the club 100+ games (approx 5 seasons) of service.
We build for a sustainable future, plus I doubt after the Lovett experience the players would be reluctant to allow someone like Fevola at the club.
Maybe 6 years ago he would have been a good bet, but his best days on the field are years behind him.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
yallingup saints
Club Player

blake broadhurst from subiaco. Now 25 or so not sure why someone hasn't already picked him up?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Tiprat44 wrote:Hasn't Walsh also stated that he really wants to play up forward?
If he has he is a fool. I would think he just wants a game. Pretty sure he wouldnt care where.

Tiprat44
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Tiprat44 wrote:Hasn't Walsh also stated that he really wants to play up forward?
If he has he is a fool. I would think he just wants a game. Pretty sure he wouldnt care where.
I think he meant for Sandringham....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

linmarnic wrote:Fevohhhlaaaaa
the fev. he loves the saints. his body is fresh. and he could work with centrebet.
:lol:

in all seriousness. anyone at port adelaide worth looking at?

my dad really hates tomahawk so he would spew if we got him.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

OK if we want a big bodied forward I have three suggestions

1) Petrie - Always liked the way he went about it and is a good lead up forward with a bit of grunt and a fairly straight kick. North probably wouldn't part with him.

2) Hawkins - not a success with Geelong. Mooney and now pods have taken his spot. A bit one dimensional and runs on rails a bit but has never really complimented Geelongs game plan.

Two issues.have we had enough of Geelong reject forwards recently?

Considering Mooney is done and Pods is 29, geelong would probably want to keep him.

3) David Hille. More a ruckman, but can play up forward. Would fill the ruck role with Mac and we could then maybe persist with Archer , Johnson and Stanley and maybe develop one of those.

Essendon cant play Belchambers, Ryder, and Hille in the one team so this could be a possibility.

Just thoughts.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:OK if we want a big bodied forward I have three suggestions

1) Petrie - Always liked the way he went about it and is a good lead up forward with a bit of grunt and a fairly straight kick. North probably wouldn't part with him.

2) Hawkins - not a success with Geelong. Mooney and now pods have taken his spot. A bit one dimensional and runs on rails a bit but has never really complimented Geelongs game plan.

Considering Mooney is done and Pods is 29, geelong would probably want to keep him.

3) David Hille. More a ruckman, but can play up forward. Would fill the ruck role with Mac and we could then maybe persist with Archer , Johnson and Stanley and maybe develop one of those.

Essendon cant play Belchambers, Ryder, and Hille in the one team so this could be a possibility.

Just thoughts.
At the moment it doesnt matter who Essendon have in the ruck. Poor mids and out of form players mean you lose. I still say Mids win you games. If we had 3 pluggers at the moment I still think we would struggle up forward. If we have to trade, get our mids stronger and we will kick enough goals to beat most sides. My choice is no trading at all next year.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Just thoughts.
At the moment it doesnt matter who Essendon have in the ruck. Poor mids and out of form players mean you lose. I still say Mids win you games. If we had 3 pluggers at the moment I still think we would struggle up forward. If we have to trade, get our mids stronger and we will kick enough goals to beat most sides. My choice is no trading at all next year.
I agree that success startes in the middle, but wasn't this thread about RL's comment about getting a tall forward?

Personally I think we need a replacement for Gardiner, and if we could snag Hille it would be the best of my three options.

yes it is true, it is hard to kick goals if the opposition is getting all the clearances, but the Op was about forwards after all.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Just thoughts.
I agree that success startes in the middle, but wasn't this thread about RL's comment about getting a tall forward?

Personally I think we need a replacement for Gardiner, and if we could snag Hille it would be the best of my three options.

yes it is true, it is hard to kick goals if the opposition is getting all the clearances, but the Op was about forwards after all.
I agree what the Op is about. I was probably saying that I dont necessarily agree with RL then. Obviously he would know more than I will ever know but Id rather build a great midfield than worry about fluking a forward.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I agree what the Op is about. I was probably saying that I dont necessarily agree with RL then. Obviously he would know more than I will ever know but Id rather build a great midfield than worry about fluking a forward.
Yup - I tend to agree with you P66.

I dont fancy spending half a mill on Ton Hawkins or Drew Petrie to have them standing in a forward line catching cold as we try to rebound out of defence because our midfield and rucks are getting slaughtered.

I wouldn't know a tenth of what RL knows, but what i do know is that it all starts from the stoppages, both with a ruckman and with decent mids.

Lance or James??

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I agree what the Op is about. I was probably saying that I dont necessarily agree with RL then. Obviously he would know more than I will ever know but Id rather build a great midfield than worry about fluking a forward.
Yup - I tend to agree with you P66.

I dont fancy spending half a mill on Ton Hawkins or Drew Petrie to have them standing in a forward line catching cold as we try to rebound out of defence because our midfield and rucks are getting slaughtered.

I wouldn't know a tenth of what RL knows, but what i do know is that it all starts from the stoppages, both with a ruckman and with decent mids.
the other issue is that all the players mentioned from other clubs are not worth spending to much money on anyway, nor are they worth trading away good players to get. If we are lucky enough to pick up a foward in the draft that's fine, but that's not likely.

I love this club
SainterX
Club Player

Offer Fev minimum payments and see how much he really wants to play AFL again. With few suitors he would have little choice, and if he screwed up we could dump him at little cost to us.
We could sure use someone who just loovvess to play and beat the pies ever since 99.

If he came good then good luck to any team that would want to double team Roo and him. :twisted:

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:Offer Fev minimum payments and see how much he really wants to play AFL again. With few suitors he would have little choice, and if he screwed up we could dump him at little cost to us.
We could sure use someone who just loovvess to play and beat the pies ever since 99.

If he came good then good luck to any team that would want to double team Roo and him. :twisted:
Have to disagree SainterK. I think we really afford that type of charcater at our club. We have had enough bad publicity, and we don't want the nonsense that he could bring. The other issue would be his age, on the other hand if we got him for nothing then maybe.....

I love this club
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross wants a forward (even at a cost), so...

perfectionist wrote:Dunno if he is available, but I'd go for Chris Dawes and pay him $2 million for 3 years. If the Pies can beat that, then we will know they are cheating. Kill two birds...
Although this suggestion of getting a forward like Dawes actually makes a fair amount of sense and isn't to be scoffed at, I can't help but feel superstituous about picking up former Filth players.

All the former Filth players we've had in the past were absolute duds. Or maybe there was an exception?

Re Fev, I have a weird feeling the club will be tempted in going for him come October. It'll be a very strange set of circumstances if he we do :?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

ivan was up forward today and kicked a couple

i can smell something cooking.........

linmarnic
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:Drafting Fevola is idiotic, he is a washed up footballer and poison at any club.
I notice carlton are doing a lot better without him, it isn't a left field idea it is a stupid idea.
Barry Hall didn't get the Bulldogs a premiership, he wont even wont last this season, personally I think the Dogs we're dumb to draft him, it smacked of desperation and they are paying for it now.
And like our club needs the sort of headlines Fevola brings.
You don't recruit 30+ year old footballers for the future of the club, especially ones with the baggage that Fevola brings.
If we are going to recruit a forward, as I said previously, it must be someone who can give the club 100+ games (approx 5 seasons) of service.
We build for a sustainable future, plus I doubt after the Lovett experience the players would be reluctant to allow someone like Fevola at the club.
Maybe 6 years ago he would have been a good bet, but his best days on the field are years behind him.
I guess that's also what most people thought about drafting Benny, but I stll think he would have been the difference in the 2009 GF had we drafted him and he was fit to play on the day.

If we are going to have a crack in the next two years, with a partial rebuild, then I think we should take a chance, (notwithstanding the Lovett outcome) what have we got to lose? If we are looking longer term on a full rebuild then no point taking that chance.

Never give up
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

lake!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
PJ
SS Life Member

I agree that midfielders are currently more of an urgent need than forwards. The one that springs to mind that is out of favour over here in Adelaide is Bernie Vince - club best and fairest so he's got runs on the board but seems a bit out of Craig's popular books at present.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
SainterX wrote:Offer Fev minimum payments and see how much he really wants to play AFL again. With few suitors he would have little choice, and if he screwed up we could dump him at little cost to us.

Have to disagree SainterK. I think we really afford that type of charcater at our club. We have had enough bad publicity, and we don't want the nonsense that he could bring. The other issue would be his age, on the other hand if we got him for nothing then maybe.....
Oh that wasn't me Stillwaiting

Big no to Fev

Nope

Nah

Negative

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think GT tried to get Hille all those years ago

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:Callum Wilson
Don't mind it. He's old-school and we'd need to teach him to work a bit better off the ball, but he knows where the goals are and isn't getting a look-in with West Coast's talls at the moment

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Tiprat44
Club Player

PJ wrote:I agree that midfielders are currently more of an urgent need than forwards. The one that springs to mind that is out of favour over here in Adelaide is Bernie Vince - club best and fairest so he's got runs on the board but seems a bit out of Craig's popular books at present.
I think we have enough soft outside mids at the moment

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Don't see T walsh being a full forward. The irish guys generally are better ground level players with run. FF need to be instinctive ball users to get in the right spots, out muscle etc. they play guys like Tommy and Williams from the dogs as backline players because their man takes them to the ball