Why is it...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

most of us dont sit there and bag the umps plugger
this is the point
you only have yourself to blame if you lose

but blatant decisions when the ump is right there kind of makes people wonder what on earth they didnt pay them for

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Umpiring......the only job in the world where you are excused from making plenty of mistakes week in and week out and still pick up your pay cheque and not accountable at all for your mistakes

be nice to the umps even if they dont perform :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Umpiring......the only job in the world where you are excused from making plenty of mistakes week in and week out and still pick up your pay cheque and not accountable at all for your mistakes

be nice to the umps even if they dont perform :roll:
What does that mean? They get dropped if umpiring poorly just like a player and bad decsions are shown up a lot more than a miss from 20 metres out dead in front.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

cool
so a few from last night wont be umping next week
8-) :P

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Did that make you feel better? Will you sleep easier tonight?

Wasn't the question I asked and other runners HAVE made the same error in the past. So do you want to try again?
Any chance you could learn the rule? It's called "interference in general play". When your runner runs through the mark the kick is reversed. if the opposition runner does it's a 50 metre penalty.

Ray had it wrong; the midfield umpire called it right.

Rather than moan about the call how about our runner's watch where they run? :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:cool
so a few from last night wont be umping next week
8-) :P
Dont know. They may have been good the previous weeks. Is Rooy going to be dropped on last nights form?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

do i look like ross lyon???

umps and players are different
blatant free kicks should be paid.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:do i look like ross lyon???

umps and players are different
blatant free kicks should be paid.
exactly!!!!

and iffy ones are play on.

Just like grand final 1 Umps were great game was great.

Not one team getting multiple free kicks in front of goal whilst the other team gets none. We must be the most undisciplined back line in the comp after last night then and Geelong the most disciplined.... hmmm I think not

Cro
Club Player

St DAC wrote:
Did that make you feel better? Will you sleep easier tonight?

Wasn't the question I asked and other runners HAVE made the same error in the past. So do you want to try again?
Any chance you could learn the rule? It's called "interference in general play". When your runner runs through the mark the kick is reversed. if the opposition runner does it's a 50 metre penalty.

Ray had it wrong; the midfield umpire called it right.

Rather than moan about the call how about our runner's watch where they run? :roll:
Mate, that wasn't the question he asked. :wink:

:roll:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The umpiring is s*** this year and not just for us, the AFL is quick to say all frees are paid correctly and it is better every year but it is subjective. It seems to me that it is one of two things, poor instruction from Gieshen or corruption by umpires. The AFL is protesting about it so much it looks like a chocolate smeared schoolboy saying he doesn't know about the missing Dairy milk. That bombers final in the NAB was just outrageously bad, I came away wondering who had their snout in the trough. Umpiring is difficult but good instruction on the nuances of the game might help, things like don't play stupid technical frees in front of goal in low scoring games. Blow the whistle only when sure an infringement has occured.

4 goals from frees Geelong 0 goals free kicks Saints- margin around four goals not many of theirs were obvious, some obvious ones the other way not paid? Razor might be getting a bigger house soon.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
matrix wrote:good f****** lord its like talking to my cat :roll:
He's just an agitator - just ignore him. He's made 20,000 posts and 3 of them have been worthwhile.
3!! 2 at best - hence the reason I have never responded to any of his posts. Waste of keystrokes and internet bandwidth to be bothered with. :roll:

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

The reason the umpiring standard has gone backwards is because it has become far too technical. There are far few technicalities that weigh on an umps mind.

Jeff Geishan is a shocking umpire's boss and a disgrace. Get rid of him at once.

The umpires need to be told at all times to USE COMMON SENSE. There is a severe lack of common sense being used at AFL level whereas at lower grades of football you actually see more common sense in the umpiring.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

hungry for a premiership wrote:The reason the umpiring standard has gone backwards is because it has become far too technical. There are far few technicalities that weigh on an umps mind.

Jeff Geishan is a shocking umpire's boss and a disgrace. Get rid of him at once.

The umpires need to be told at all times to USE COMMON SENSE. There is a severe lack of common sense being used at AFL level whereas at lower grades of football you actually see more common sense in the umpiring.
Bravo.

I agree. Far too many technicalities and "did he" or "didn't he" type rules with too much of a grey area.

The Saints are coming!
mullet
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote:The reason the umpiring standard has gone backwards is because it has become far too technical. There are far few technicalities that weigh on an umps mind.

Bravo.

I agree. Far too many technicalities and "did he" or "didn't he" type rules with too much of a grey area.
Yeah including deciding what the players" intent "was. Who are they nostradamus

Easy way to fix the umpiring is to make them accountable. The players have stats for everything so I would like to see a better break down of the frees

ie how many frees were paid by each individual umpire
how many goals from frees
how many frees were actually play on advantage ie the player had actually already won the ball by marking it and the umpire decides to pay some obscure advantage free which I think they do to even up the frees
where were the frees paid
what were they for
surely we are allowed to know this information.

Stop protecting the umpires who are supposed to be doing a paid job

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:

Bravo.

Yeah including deciding what the players" intent "was. Who are they nostradamus

Easy way to fix the umpiring is to make them accountable. The players have stats for everything so I would like to see a better break down of the frees

ie how many frees were paid by each individual umpire
how many goals from frees
how many frees were actually play on advantage ie the player had actually already won the ball by marking it and the umpire decides to pay some obscure advantage free which I think they do to even up the frees
where were the frees paid
what were they for
surely we are allowed to know this information.

Stop protecting the umpires who are supposed to be doing a paid job
All that information would probably be given to them anyway. If it was in the paper, which would be making them bigger than they need to be, why would they umpire better? Does Grammy kick better because it shows his clangers in the paper. I doubt that very much. Umpires cop more criticism than any player because neither sides barracks for them. They dont get away with anything from the public. Just look at this thread to see that plus probably the one on the Geelong forum. Hard enough to recruit umpires as it is, why make it harder?

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Fair Dinkum some of the whinging on here! Take your saints glasses off! We didn't bloody win because we are Shyte and have no foot skills! Stop blaming the umpires, you are all starting to sound like Collingwood supporters! It is pretty simple, if we can actually start hitting some targets and stop butchering the ball we might actually wiin a few more games! It's nothing to do with umpiring!!! WE JUST AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH, TOO MANY DUDS!!!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss