Riewoldt to Full Forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
PJ wrote:but you'd be a brave man to take Riewoldt out of there altogether.
Well let's hope we get one who is brave enough to go with what he thinks will work and to discard what he thinks doesn't it. Otherwise you might as well make Riewoldt captain/coach.
Agree.

However there's a fair possibilty that our new coach, regardless of how brave he is, will feel it's beneficial to have Rooey hanging around somewhere in the front half.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Well let's hope we get one who is brave enough to go with what he thinks will work and to discard what he thinks doesn't Otherwise you might as well make Riewoldt captain/coach.
Agree. However there's a fair possibilty that our new coach, regardless of how brave he is, will feel it's beneficial to have Rooey hanging around somewhere in the front half.
That's fine.

You'd think that anyone with half a brain though would get him some decent help up there and recognise that the pressure on Riewoldt and the pressure he puts on himself is not helping the club.

PJ
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Well let's hope we get one who is brave enough to go with what he thinks will work and to discard what he thinks won't.

Otherwise you might as well make Riewoldt captain/coach.
The last part of your argument doesn't make sense to me in relation to the first part. Yes I hope we get a coach with strong convictions but how does putting Riewoldt in the forward line equate to making him captain/coach?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Well let's hope we get one who is brave enough to go with what he thinks will work and to discard what he thinks won't.

Otherwise you might as well make Riewoldt captain/coach.
The last part of your argument doesn't make sense to me in relation to the first part. Yes I hope we get a coach with strong convictions but how does putting Riewoldt in the forward line equate to making him captain/coach?
I mightn't have phrased it that well. Let's have a coach who has the balls to move Riewoldt if he considers it necessary.

No one is bigger than the club, not even the captain.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 28 Sep 2011 10:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJ
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Well let's hope we get one who is brave enough to go with what he thinks will work and to discard what he thinks doesn't Otherwise you might as well make Riewoldt captain/coach.
Agree. However there's a fair possibilty that our new coach, regardless of how brave he is, will feel it's beneficial to have Rooey hanging around somewhere in the front half.
That's fine.

You'd think that anyone with half a brain though would get him some decent help up there and recognise that the pressure on Riewoldt and the pressure he puts on himself is not helping the club.
What's your point?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
That's fine.

What's your point?
That we cannot rely on Riewoldt to beat two or three opponents at every contest and that we've got to find another key forward to help him out ... hopefully one who can kick.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 28 Sep 2011 10:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
That's fine.

Yep, well I reckon that's where the biggest change will come from with a new coach, rather than Roo being moved away from the goals.

I'm not going to be a hypocrite because up until the events of 2 weeks ago I was a Ross fan. I admit it. Nonetheless it did frustrate me no end that he didn't seem to try to help Nick from being triple teamed.

The Captain may say one thing publicly, and indeed that may reflect his general feeling about what has happened. But a little part of the skipper must surely be relieved at the prospect of a changed forward set up.

PJ
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
PJ wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
That's fine.

What's your point?
That we cannot rely on Riewoldt to beat two or three opponents at every contest.
Our forward structure has been out of whack for sometime - the 2 talls Roo/kosi with the 2 smalls Schneids/tiprat has never really worked IMO - perhaps it's more of an issue with the mids and play makers that select the entry into the 50. You'd love to add someone to the midfield with vision and accurracy (is that too much to ask? FFS)

Dal was IMO again clearly our best this year with no Lenny, Goddard out of form and Joey a little inconsistent. Surely if Roo is double/triple teamed you just don't kick it too him. Kosi is too slow or this gig and it was too easy for him to be out positioned - yes here it comes, would love to see Walsh get a crack :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote: "perhaps it's more of an issue with the mids and play makers that select the entry into the 50."

Spot on. And you've gotta not just rate the quality of the cattle in the midfield, but also the game plan and instruction by the coach. I reckon its a really taxing game plan when you're focussed on helping out your defenders as a midfield. If the back 6 aren't good enough to hold their own, then git rid of the weak links....If the mids are asked to push back and fill holes and create defensive zones each time the ball goes down back, then how in the hell are they going to have the legs to run and carry and run forward as well. Maybe Ross's focus on stopping was far greater than the emphasis on kicking goals. I think players want to please the coach and what's important to the coach, so maybe the mids sprint to the defensive zones was a much harder sprint than the spread-to-create-attack sprint

I reckon our midfield cattle is still elite and the game plan needs tweaking.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I'd prefer Riewoldt to the Gold Coast or GWS!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:I'd prefer Riewoldt to the Gold Coast or GWS!
Why fool? What's your replacement look like?

Do you want to do what Lyon did to Max and just treat him like s***? Or the way Melbourne and Bailey did to some of the veterans like Bruce and Macdonald? Give us your analysis of Roo's value or lack there of and tell us; is your planning for short term or are you aiming for a flag in 5-10 yrs?

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I've tired of these " HOW TO FIX ROO " threads all year .
Nick will be the best forward in the land next year , IF and it's a big IF we can get a coach to teach the mid-fielders to kick the ball to him , not at his feet , not over his head . that has been our problem all year , our woeful kicking effientcy , players like Gram , Jones , Gilbert constantly turned the ball over and roo's niggling injuries led to him having an average year.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
Moorabbin Man wrote:I'd prefer Riewoldt to the Gold Coast or GWS!
Why fool? What's your replacement look like?

Do you want to do what Lyon did to Max and just treat him like s***? Or the way Melbourne and Bailey did to some of the veterans like Bruce and Macdonald? Give us your analysis of Roo's value or lack there of and tell us; is your planning for short term or are you aiming for a flag in 5-10 yrs?
A couple of first round picks and we keep Goddard.