Rookie Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintSimmo
Club Player

With the rumour of us targeting Danny Hughes, I think he would the last forward we pick up. So I reckon with our other 3 picks in the rookie draft we may target:

1) a kid who didnt get picked in the draft

2) Magner - or Marigliani -

3) Beau Dowler or James Hallahan - http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Sainter for life.
Catee

I think we need to take players over 180cms as we seem to be covered with the shorter guys.A tall midfielder/defender type would be a good addition.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Wouldn't mind Dubosz if his still around, a goal kicking machine.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Dobosz and Nick Murphy. two full forward prospects.
I hope the recruiting staff dont think like SaintSimmo. 1 kid, 3 older players, two of whom are rejects from other clubs. And even then the ruck problem is not helped.

Gershwin
Club Player

If we are going to have a red-hot go at the flag next year while Hayes, Riewoldt, Goddard, Dal Santo, Fisher, Montagna, Kossie, Milne still have a little left in the tank then I think we need short-term fixes to obvious risk areas.

Ruck - if McEvoy and Kossie suffer injuries we at least need some big body to take up space - maybe Currie or whoever else is out there who might just break even if they just have to play. McCauley from Brisbane has been mentioned.

KPP - happy with Wilkes but just might need one more mature KPP in case a couple get injured - probably Beau Dowler.

Then go tall project kids. The young Sandilands, Jai Sheahan, or Jackson Coleman.

summertime and the living is easy ........
defacto
Club Player

Marigliani looks good. definetly need another tall. not sure the ex hawks player is the one though.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Its too hard to choose who to pick as we have so many picks ahead of us.

All i can say is I hope we get at least one tall kid like Boseley, Ducobz or Murphy if available but thats a big if. What happened to that Kyal bloke from WA? I dont mind a skinny kid with great skills who is going to take time, like a Curren clone.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'd still like Sundberg. The guy is apparently a cut above even the pies listed players at collingwoods vfl team.

lefty
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Dobosz and Nick Murphy. two full forward prospects.
I hope the recruiting staff dont think like SaintSimmo. 1 kid, 3 older players, two of whom are rejects from other clubs. And even then the ruck problem is not helped.
I'd rather us pick both of them, because they are "ready" now, and the other 2 picks for kids.

We've already picked up kids in the national draft, and have quite a fair few young guys, crocker, winmar, sippos, cripps, ledger, curren, archer, etc. These guys need time to develop and get big enough to play through an entire season injury free. In my opinion, we are still in our prime for that flag, the "core" is still there, just some gaps need to be closed/tightened up.

What we miss is the guys in between, around the age of 23-25, I think this area is missing.

I think the position of "full forward' is not really what it use to be nor critical. Power full forwards don't have that effect due to the flood, now you basically try get the tallest guy there who can make over a bunch of players.
Last edited by lefty on Fri 02 Dec 2011 12:14am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
, now you basically try get the tallest guy there who can make over a bunch of players.
So does that mean we should rookie a tall hairdresser??? :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
lefty
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
lefty wrote:
, now you basically try get the tallest guy there who can make over a bunch of players.
Sigh.... fine, I'll try elaborate at 12:07am for people...

What I'm trying to state is the "power forwards" of the past are no longer going to be effective in todays game.

I loved G-Train, but I cannot see him having the same effect if he was playing in todays game due to the flood. Same with Locket, same with Fev, same with Loyd.

The forwards you need today are the tall, mobile ones, like Roo, or like Buddy, or like Cloke, they are not permanent FF's.... they're CHF who can run and take big pack marks.

Kernal75
Club Player

What about Travis Tuck - seemed like he got his s*** together later in the year. Given his pedigree and age I think he might be worth a punt?

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Kernal75 wrote:What about Travis Tuck - seemed like he got his s*** together later in the year. Given his pedigree and age I think he might be worth a punt?
Reckon he has got as much baggage as Fevola.....Doesn't he have 3 strikes anyway?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Sick Nal Danto wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:What about Travis Tuck - seemed like he got his s*** together later in the year. Given his pedigree and age I think he might be worth a punt?
Reckon he has got as much baggage as Fevola.....Doesn't he have 3 strikes anyway?
It would be one for the club's employed psychologist/psychiatrist I would imagine.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
lefty wrote:
Sigh.... fine, I'll try elaborate at 12:07am for people...

What I'm trying to state is the "power forwards" of the past are no longer going to be effective in todays game.

I loved G-Train, but I cannot see him having the same effect if he was playing in todays game due to the flood. Same with Locket, same with Fev, same with Loyd.

The forwards you need today are the tall, mobile ones, like Roo, or like Buddy, or like Cloke, they are not permanent FF's.... they're CHF who can run and take big pack marks.
Sorry Lefty...that was a joke....referring to your typo of make over..rather than mark over ...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Ace said, "The club would normally have 4 picks but should have 5 as there are only 39 players on the senior list."
But you are including Archer as a Senior player. He should be returned to the Rookie list as he was only upgraded for a long term injury
We have in effect 38 senior players and 4 rookies. I still think we are picking up 4 rookies.
As to draft picks, if every club takes at least one rookie, we will have Pick 12. After that, it will depend on howe many clubs are picking in each round.
My understanding is the club is allowed 46 players made up of 38 to 40 seniors and the rest rookies PLUS up to a further 3 special case rookies.
Special case rookies include former NSW scholarship rookies.

Jackson Ferguson is a former NSW scholarship rookie.

All the senior players plus Archer, Andreoli and Curren adds to 41 that then leaves 5 picks.
It would only be 4 picks if the number of rookies has been reduced or there has been a change to special case rookies.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Ross who?
Club Player

Ameet Bains(Saints list manager) has said we are taking 4 picks in the rookie draft this month.
In regard to list numbers, I think that rookie numbers have been increrased from 6 up to 8 now. (Something to do with GC and GWS having all the draft picks lately I think I saw somewhere)

Blake Acres fan club VIP
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I have read somewhere that we can take 5 rookies. I cant see how we can, unless as Ace suggests Jackson Ferguson is still considered a NSW Scholarship Rookie,and is counted outside the normal rookies. But Bains is the man, if he says four, four it is.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Have heard Dowler doesn't really want to be a league footballer badly enough and has not forced the coaching staff to spend a pick on him as yet. Doubt he'll get a gig.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Rosco
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I have read somewhere that we can take 5 rookies. I cant see how we can, unless as Ace suggests Jackson Ferguson is still considered a NSW Scholarship Rookie,and is counted outside the normal rookies. But Bains is the man, if he says four, four it is.
He says 4 rookies here http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Have heard Dowler doesn't really want to be a league footballer badly enough and has not forced the coaching staff to spend a pick on him as yet. Doubt he'll get a gig.
In a bit over a week we'll have all the answers.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Will we get a ruckman or two, or is there a chance that they feel the ruck situation is covered with McEvoy, Stanley, Lever and Kosi?

And you are right Bob, we will know in 9 days time.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone have a copy of the Rookie Draft order..

I'll just log on to AFL.com.au at midday on the 13th and see who we got but it would be handy to know when our picks are....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Hammer
Club Player

Agree Marge looks good, hope we pick him.
Personally, I'd go with one ~25yo ruck with some body size, 2 mids and key def size. Just my opinion of course...

Bring back the Hammer!
savatage
SS Life Member

Hammer wrote:Agree Marge looks good, hope we pick him.
Personally, I'd go with one ~25yo ruck with some body size, 2 mids and key def size. Just my opinion of course...
If we're gonna pick one from Sandy - he'd be the one.