Favourite player who never played for the Saints?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:As a variation on this thread can we nominate people who played for St Kilda who we now despise:
early favourites:
Malthouse
Nixon
Hairy Ball ?(Maguire incident and aftermarth)
Have I missed anyone?
A few on here seem to despise the likes of Brad Howard and Justin Sweeney.......

......for not being good enough :roll:

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

kosifantutti23 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Swallow was taken in the 2005 Nat Draft at DP 43 - Saints had traded DP 17 for McQualter :shock:
What are you talking about? McQualter was drafted at pick 17 in the 2004 draft. There was no trade involved.
Chill out. I meant to write they had traded DP 17 for Watts in 2005. Post now edited...
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 05 Jan 2012 7:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
stevie
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:As a variation on this thread can we nominate people who played for St Kilda who we now despise:
early favourites:
Malthouse
Nixon
Have I missed anyone?
L ball
Dawson (though he was hated when here)
Walsh :roll:
M Carr ( laughable how he was a fringe player with us then was in Freo midfield??)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
early favourites:
Malthouse
Nixon
Have I missed anyone?
L ball
M Carr ( laughable how he was a fringe player with us then was in Freo midfield??)
Guerra.

Ugly and bald with us; Handsome and hirsute with the Hawks :P

poatina
Club Player

favourite player not Saints

Michael Roach ( saw a lot of his first senior season in Tassie )

Ablett snr

McCleod

Derek Kickett

Paul Kelly

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Not smoking anything buddy.....

We were going to take swallow as a 17yo in 2004 (Sweeney) but overlooked him.....he was not drafted as a bottom ager......he was unable to be rookied in 2004 due to age restrictions with rookies, he got drafted the following year at43 by north....

If not for a tip on Sweeney we would have grabbed him in 04 with our last kick.....his query, kicking skills....
Nice story but Swallow and Sweeney were both taken in the same draft. Swallow before Sweeney.

The previous year Jimmy Gwilt was the last player we picked up.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Matthews. Only plugger could match him in terms of skill coupled with the ability to put the fear of god into the opposition. For freakish skill, Peter Hudson. Cut down in his prime. Would have kicked 1,500 if his career had run full course.

I was only very young when I first saw him live, but his ability to "materialise" in the right spots at the right time was incredible. Made many great full backs look incompetent.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Schillaci
Club Player

st.byron wrote:G. Ablett Snr. Used to go to Geelong games sometimes just to watch him play.
Gary Ablett Snr. Went to Geelong games as a neutral supporter just to see him play also.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ablett.

The original one.

I refuse to call him Gary Ablett Senior.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
boomer

Sainternist wrote:Glenn Archer - one of the toughest and most unrelenting defenders I've seen play the game.
I reckon if Archer was one of the toughest defenders, Brereton was right up there as one of the toughest forwards he gave as good as he got & was tough. Similar to our own Aaron Hamill

Bardon Saint
Club Player

The Judd

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Gavin Excel

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
noddy04
Club Player

Peter Darley

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Not smoking anything buddy.....

We were going to take swallow as a 17yo in 2004 (Sweeney) but overlooked him.....he was not drafted as a bottom ager......he was unable to be rookied in 2004 due to age restrictions with rookies, he got drafted the following year at43 by north....

If not for a tip on Sweeney we would have grabbed him in 04 with our last kick.....his query, kicking skills....
Nice story but Swallow and Sweeney were both taken in the same draft. Swallow before Sweeney.

The previous year Jimmy Gwilt was the last player we picked up.
Oh no, Big Man is wrong again. Can we ever believe him again?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Maybe I should have checked on the inter web also, to make sure I was right.....as my memory in my middle age years is lacking a bit....it may well have been gwilt who the tip was on in 04, I know it was a late change.....maybe after his BOG in the EFL grand final for Noble....

But we did look seriously at Andrew Swallow, in 04 and 05.....this was told to me by the coach at the time, during a preseason session at some school near bluff road.....when he was telling me about our first pick in 2005 and how impressive he was looking.....Sam Gilbert...who was also a latish decision, after a under 21 rep game....

We were close to drafting swallow....his pace was electric but kicking worried JB,is that ironic considering Gilbert???

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
stevie wrote:
early favourites:
Malthouse
Nixon
Have I missed anyone?
L ball
Guerra.

Ugly and bald with us; Handsome and hirsute with the Hawks :P
Stupid decision from GT and Rendell to sack Guerra. He is/was the prototype moneyball type player as his kicking was A-grade and surely the brainpower of a football department might have figured out he could use said kicking skills up the ground even a little?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Stupid decision from GT and Rendell to sack Guerra. He is/was the prototype moneyball type player as his kicking was A-grade and surely the brainpower of a football department might have figured out he could use said kicking skills up the ground even a little?
guerra was Never sacked he got a better offer from hawthorn simple as that ... GT I don't think was too upset to see him go but all the same he wasn't sacked

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

It funny how stories get exaggerated over time ... Sweeney over Swallow :oops:

The word on swallow was he was more a athlete then footy player could run like the wind but not footy smart hence why Freo and west coast over looked him ... Not to mention the rest of the clubs ....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:It funny how stories get exaggerated over time ... Sweeney over Swallow :oops:

The word on swallow was he was more a athlete then footy player could run like the wind but not footy smart hence why Freo and west coast over looked him ... Not to mention the rest of the clubs ....
So a bit like Brad Howard then? :P

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
...The word on swallow was he was more a athlete then footy player could run like the wind but not footy smart hence why Freo and west coast over looked him ... Not to mention the rest of the clubs ....
Why he wasn't taken as a bottom age player in 2004..........(no mention of running like the wind)

"Andrew was an AIS-AFL Academy graduate in 2004, and captain of WA's under-18 team, when every club passed up on him. The knocks were his pace and his kicking, areas he worked hard on the following season"

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z1iemZiQJS

In 2005 he was U18 WA Captain & All Aust. At the 2005 Draft Camp, he finished top 10 in Agility, Vertical jump and 20m sprint.

"....he was a senior regular at East Frem racking up 37 poss in one game..."

Post 2005 N Draft comment H-Sun Sunday 27 Nov 05

Hold your ground :shock:
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

guerra was Never sacked he got a better offer from hawthorn simple as that ... GT I don't think was too upset to see him go but all the same he wasn't sacked
He was delisted? This forum went a bit silly over it as (like I) not many could see the dealio behind it?

Maybe it was another player however I know that GT disliked the Goo and his drinking etc....

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

He was delisted? This forum went a bit silly over it as (like I) not many could see the dealio behind it?

Maybe it was another player however I know that GT disliked the Goo and his drinking etc....

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: