Second most succesful coach!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shaggy
Club Player

Re: Second most succesful coach!

saintsRrising wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

List the mature regulars then to prove your point.
Who said regulars?

Now you are just being mischevious as in that year many of the younger players were talented enough and good enough to be playing.
We are all past the GT debates and you are welcome to your view that we should have won the flag in 2004.

However no-one should dispute we were a very young side in 2004.

In 2004 the players who played 5 games or more consisted of:
• 14 mature players, and
• 2 who had played about 50 games prior to 2004, and
• 13 who had played 40 games or less.

Your schedule and summary “So that is 18 not counting the lesser lights.....and not counting the actual "younger players" is IMO seriously misleading.

I would hate to see how we would go this year if we give 15 of our kids 5 games or more.
Last edited by Shaggy on Mon 12 Mar 2012 11:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:In 2004 the players who played 5 games or more consisted of:
• 14 mature players, and
• 2 who had played about 50 games prior to 2004, and
• 13 who had played 40 games or less.
Yep, agree Shaggy

We did have some very good mature players including Harvey, Gehrig, Hamill, Aussie and Max.

But players like Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Goddard, Montagna, Kosi, Fisher - the heart and soul of the current team - Ball, and unlucky guys such as Xman and Goose were still boys really.

Injury prone and inexperienced kids, they were years off having fully developed bodies and minds and still years off playing their best and most consistent football.

That young core group didn't come of age until some time after GT was sacked.

With a lot of luck (with injury as well as the rub of the green) we could have pinched a flag in 2004, but realistically the best years from that young core were going to be from 2007-2010.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I can not believe this is still going.....and Carl is still banging on with the same rubbish....

Stunned.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I can not believe this is still going.....and Carl is still banging on with the same rubbish....Stunned.

Is that the best you can do? :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:I can not believe this is still going.....and Carl is still banging on with the same rubbish....Stunned.

Is that the best you can do? :roll:

He is right though. Yes our current stars were at their best then but also by then we lost our previous stars and because of high draft picks we couldnt replace them. The depth was no where near the mid 2000's. Having said that I think GT was very unlucky due to injury and if that board had maybe worried less about profits we may have had more staff to help out. That board was also hamstrung though as we were in financial trouble. Just a typical Saints unlucky story. Can they please stop now. I have had enough.