Steven & Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steven & Armitage

I fire up when people attack one of my boys, and I'm not even related :lol:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Gringo & DWOODROW wrote:...Incarceration...
Hey, I was born in Townsville. My sister and her family still live there.

And I just wanna say... you are right!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

So apart from the unwarranted jumping at shadows where no one really criticized either player disrespectfully...

Did anyone else notice Armitage tagging Friday or did I just start watching really closely for the wrong 10 minute period...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Armitage will finish top 8 in the best and fairest this year IMO.....why am I a fan, contested ball, tackles like a jack hammer....

Weakness ..... Run and spread, therefore doesn't get cheap overlay ball, hey, neither does Luke Ball....he goes ok

Steven turned the ball over by foot way too much the other night and his. Disposal is hurried and decision making poor, but he is a good break away player.....meaning he breaks away from clearances.....like Judd, Ablett, dangerfield....he has good acceleration.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

with ledger knocking on the door all i know is someone is going to miss out sooner or later
who?

armo
jack
faz
polo

?

Munga
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:with ledger knocking on the door all i know is someone is going to miss out sooner or later
who?

armo
jack
faz
polo

?
I'd say ledger has already kicked the door down!

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed
in my starting 22 as well

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Fair call sticking up for your bro. I might be harsh at times on Armo but that's because I expect a lot more from him. I know he can do more. We see glimpses. Agree Lyon playing him as a defensive forward was not ideal.
I have no dramas with what anyone says about him. I make some pretty harsh comments about him to and his football.

Just don't see how this thread can be of any use before a game is played this season.

I make no apology for coming across as 'SOOKY' as plugger puts it or pissed off as I put it.
Do you not feel that the pre-season is still some sort of indication of form?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re:

lefty wrote:People on here think there experts before the season has even begun. He played all but one game last year and did great.

I wouldn't worry about it DWOODROW

Armo will be fine, and has a FAR better kick than Stevens (which gets annoying)

Its usually the same people posting who have the same comments/single sided and once they form a view, thats it. Maybe they think we can re-draft McQualter to play a midfield in and under role like armo :P

Go saints :P

P.S - I'm worried about the Port game first up, rather have played Essendon and got the loss over and done with. Port is a danger game at the start of the season.
Armo did all right last year. Not great though. Battled as the season went on and we improved significantly when Steven (not Stevens FFS) replaced Armo in the midfield.

Armo has been on the list for 5 years. Played 50 games. Another make or break year for him.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Having said all that, when I go to training and matches I wish Armo all the best, seems like a really good guy and I hope he has a ripper year.

But this is a forum, and there will be criticism.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Armo had a very good first 8 games....why? Midfield Opportunity

Steven had a very good final 8 games.....why? Midfield Opportunity

It was NOT just the switch of Armo and Jack that turned around 2011 season, many other factors were at play
Notably the improved form of BJ as the year went on....he was horrible early doors
Ben McEvoy coming of age in the ruck after a shaky start
A leadership meeting after R9 when some issues were laid bare
The coach loosening the shackles once the pressure was off....worse thing that happened, as soon as he saw a chance...up went the shutters
Milne playing some dynamic games as a solo fwd

And a lot of other factors came into play also......highlighting one move is a bit simplistic

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Been pretty disappointed with Armo's form thus far this year. As I've stated previously, I'm not sure it's in our best interests to have both Armo and CJ in the team at the same time, as both are pretty much only suited to the middle. Armo wasn't able to get into the midfield last year once Jack went in there (to great effect) so how he'll fit in there now that Lenny is hopefully back would be even harder. His kicking isn't great, so until he starts getting almost as much of the ball as CJ, I'd be sticking with CJ and there might not be room for Armo.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Been pretty disappointed with Armo's form thus far this year. .
all zero games?

how about a bit of preseaon love! we have a whole 22 weeks to argue. so lets be nice for just 2 weeks. :D :D :D

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Incarceration is correct gringo.

I over anylise things a litttle too much and tend to start throwing first instead of taking my time to let things sink in. A quick temper.

Will stick up for dave always but I do need to pull it in a bit. Thought I was getting better but I was wrong.

As in Stuart? DWOODROW? What you in for?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Goddard, Dal Santo, Roo are all proven Footballers. Armo is a footballer who hasnt quite made his mark. Will he?, i have my doubts.
Maybe not but he will certainly play many more matches of AFL than Jack Steven.
there are a handful of feral supportters on here led by Meher Baba who love to partake in a spot of Armo bashing when the opportunity arises but have only praise for the other one.
Steven returned from the off-season in dreadful shape but continues to fly under the radar!!
:roll: :shock:

Another relation. Steven was clearly in the best ashape of his career and that is fact. Anyway why would we worry about how many games Steven will play against Armo. They are both saints players. I dont really rate Armo but hopw 100% wrong. It seems from your post you want to be proven right. You obviously arent a Saints supporter but just a footballer relation.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jack steven can find the footy....no doubt. Just makes bad decisions with it, and is not composed by foot. Unless he is having a set shot.

Jack needs to balance up....and STOP kicking short passes to a 50/50

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Seriously though if someone bagged my brother I wouldn't be able to hold back and wouldn't front up on here again. Keep it up it's a good moderator and reminds people that relatives and probably even players get on here and read this crap. You would want a f%$#ing thick skin. I noticed Attilla doesn't post much any more which is a shame because relatives will most likely provide more interesting stuff than keyboard cowboys any day.
Must admit if it was my family up for public debate Id be hard pressed not to go feral...

I just hope like hell Armo can become the better version of Ball Id dreamt of. I know he has it in him and if he gets a midfield go he can be enormous help with Hayes. Completely different player to Jack so comparing is useless. Jack has his own demons.

The pressure on these 2 imo is greater cause our recruitment in this age bracket aint great - so a heap falls on to these guys at 5 yrs at the club....understandably...

“Yeah….nah””
S.A Saint
Club Player

I dont get some of the criticism towards Armos disposal. When in space he can actually pin point a good pass as was seen last year. However due to him always being at the bottom of a pack and under constant pressure he can shank one every so often.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Armo is a far superior extractor of the ball than Stevens.
CJ is on par with Armo as an extractor the ball.
What Armo has over both CJ and Stevens is disposal, he is a lot cleaner by hand and foot than either.
However, he does lose out on pace to both quite signicantly.

He is a midfield extractor, he is not a defensive forward. We have made major selection errors in the past with that defensive forward role.
The player who does that role needs to have serious pace to be a real threat and needs to also have good attacking instincts.
Neither Armo nor McQualter before him had the pace for the role.
I would put Armo as our second best extractor at the moment obviously behind the great man himself. However, we have to accept that Lenny is getting on a bit and will need to play more and more away from the centre square this should give more opportunities to Armo. Lets not forget he was one of our best players early on last season when we were struggling and that coincided with a period where he was our primary extractor in the middle before Ross tried to move him to the defensive forward role.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Agree with that. I thought it was a mistake to take Armo out of the middle once Steven went in there last year, as Armo was doing well there and wasn't likely to do much up forward (which he didn't). I would have liked to have seen how they both went in there together, but it seems Lyon was committed to having his "defensive forward". If we need one of those this year, it looks like Saad will be better suited to that role, as he's so fast and tenacious.
Con Gorozidis wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Been pretty disappointed with Armo's form thus far this year. .
all zero games?
Not sure about you, but I've seen him play games of footy this year. Saw one just last Friday. Saw one the week before as well. Hardly saw him get a touch in either.
Considering he is someone I would expect would be going pretty much all-out to impress Watters and co, to make sure he's in the side for R1 (and preferably in the midfield) his performances were possibly the most disappointing of the pre-season, as far as I'm concerned. I was really hoping he'd come out and demand a spot in the team for R1.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:Incarceration is correct gringo.

I over anylise things a litttle too much and tend to start throwing first instead of taking my time to let things sink in. A quick temper.

Will stick up for dave always but I do need to pull it in a bit. Thought I was getting better but I was wrong.

As in Stuart? DWOODROW? What you in for?
I should have said works in youth detention not incarceration. Sorry.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:I dont get some of the criticism towards Armos disposal. When in space he can actually pin point a good pass as was seen last year. However due to him always being at the bottom of a pack and under constant pressure he can shank one every so often.

I am actually amazed at how people expect the guys that extract the ball in heavy traffic to find space and time for elite disposal. It comes with the role that the dish out is often messy and rushed. That is what makes Dal Santo an elite player, his ability to find space and time in traffic and be in control even when he doesn't have a right to. Jack Steven looked great as that walk on small forward when he first got senior games as he has pace and good at getting the ball. I have no real concerns about Armo, Steven or Geary all are that middle tier that you would expect are ready to take off. The sad part is they are alone apart from Big ben in that early 20s age bracket. Well part from our untried new guys and top ups.