VFL RD 5 - Sandy vs Williamst'n - Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL RD 5 - Sandy vs Williamst'n Radio/ scores

GRAMophone wrote:Pretty sure he's suspended this week K
No excuse :mrgreen:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Wilkes just has to play forward I don't mind who he displaces Kosi or other !

Well Kosi has been good this year so it couldnt possibly be him so it has to be Stanley. Are you sure you want a young guy out for a 26 year old.

Geelong should drop that old forward guy they have too. He's too old and won't develop.

Wilkes could have another 7 years of footy left and is dominating at VFL level. If Podsiadly didn't get a go because of age it would have been a shame, why not try him for Rhys as a forward and move Rhys back for a go in the backline as the spare player cutting off space not a key pos role.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Whilst I think Wilkes may go all right in the ones, I reckon Stanley is coming along quite well.
His effort as a second ruck was VG last Friday night I thought.
For someone that has played around 20 games, I am actually surprised how much he is getting involved.
He needs development in the seniors.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Whilst I think Wilkes may go all right in the ones, I reckon Stanley is coming along quite well.
His effort as a second ruck was VG last Friday night I thought.
For someone that has played around 20 games, I am actually surprised how much he is getting involved.
He needs development in the seniors.

Fully agree....he has majorly stepped up this and is likely to be an important part of our future. He also adds pace to a slow forward line.

Lack of confidence has been stated by the coaches to be a major factor that held him back in the past. So this is no time to drop him for wilkes.

If Kosi gets rubbed out, the door will open for Wilkes to strut his stuff in the seniors.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Wilkes just has to play forward I don't mind who he displaces Kosi or other !

Well Kosi has been good this year so it couldnt possibly be him so it has to be Stanley. Are you sure you want a young guy out for a 26 year old.

Geelong should drop that old forward guy they have too. He's too old and won't develop.

Wilkes could have another 7 years of footy left and is dominating at VFL level. If Podsiadly didn't get a go because of age it would have been a shame, why not try him for Rhys as a forward and move Rhys back for a go in the backline as the spare player cutting off space not a key pos role.

So lets get this straight. We have Stanley playing much better than anytime in his career and seems to be getting more confident but just to fit a guy in who has had 4 years at another AFL cub and couldnt cut it you will move a promising foward back. I have an idea. Lets leave Stanley forward and if Kosi get suspended we play Wilkes or for some reason we need to play Wilkes without Kosi being suspended we find a position for him maybe down back. Stanley will not be moved whatever happens.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Wilkes will wait. He was ecstatic to be picked up by Saints so he's under no illusions about himself. But he's doing everything right. He'll get his chance. You can't move Stanley out, he's a slow burner, but he's getting there.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Sandringham only turned up after half time and left their run too late. For me Warwick Andreoli was a great surprise he really mopped up well and held the backline together when they were under the pump! He has more of a future than a few senior listed players . Beau Wilkes has to come into the seniors in place of KosI or Stanley. He is as strong in air but gives so much more at ground level - for me it's a no brainer ! Watched both games and was disappointed with Crocker he plays like a 15 y/o boy. Sandi suffered today for the Saints having far too many flanker type players who have no breakaway speed and can't win their own ball. Winmar fits in the mould has become a real tweener not tall enough for key position & not good at ground level !
I thought Beau Dowler (?) was a bit of a force down back, and Cockie and Cook continue to look awesome at times.
Seemed to be playing Siposs further up the ground and was even playing down back for a spell to use his kicking out of defence. Didn't seem to be moving around as well as I've seen him.
That Sam Dunell is a classy elegant player. Good to see Gwilty but going at around 80%. Thought Ray worked is butt off. And Gram looked aggressive and strong. Rossy still making some basic errors but looks good when he has the ball. Wilkesy is definitely a Kosi-like back up. Unlucky not to get a couple of free kicks. Ledger makes things happen, always looks to take the game on.

With a strong wind it was a runners game yesterday, which played into Williamstown's hands.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL RD 5 - Sandy vs Williamst'n - Review

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info. ... D=19039918
Sandringham’s ball use was not of that in their first 3 games and Williamstown took full advantage of the turnovers. The first half saw Williamstown lead by 27 points at the main break. Sandringham made simple kicking errors to teammates and at shots at goal. At half time they had kicked 3 goals 10 behinds and did not take full advantage of the breeze that they had.

“We really didn’t do anything different, it was just more our entries were either too shallow or poorly directed.” Allen said.

Sandringham was in the contest the whole game and it was not until the second half that we saw the Zebra’s claw their way back. The intensity of the Zebra boys lifted and it showed through a great smother by Chris Irving in the third quarter that almost landed a goal. Their run and carry through the midfield was lifted, with a lead up mark to Beau Wilkes on the wing, who kicked to Cameron Shenton and then hand passed to Adam Cockie to give him a goal. They started the third quarter off strongly, kicking the first 2 goals before Williamstown kicked 3 steadying goals to finish the quarter up by 28 points.

“Myke Cook and Adam Cockie were good again. Adam hit double figures for tackles (9 tackles for the day).” said Allen.

The last quarter saw Sandringham start off fast. Cockie and Cook lead from the front which saw Sandringham kick the first 3 goals and only trail by 12 points. Cook intercepted a kick in from Williamstown which handed Cockie his second goal for the day. The Sandringham defence held strong from the Seagull’s attacks and the Zebra’s managed to find avenues to goal as well.

“Down back Beau Dowler and (Jackson) Ferguson were good.” Allen recalled.

In a frantic quarter for both teams, Sandringham got as close as 1 point due to some individual and team brilliance. Beau Wilkes kicked a goal that was nearly over his head from a missed mark. It got the crowd excited and the Zebra’s were edging closer to the Seagull’s. Williamstown kicked a steadying goal, though Sandringham responded which made the finish worth watching.

The last 5 minutes of the game was tight. Sandringham had all the possession and the momentum seemed to have changed into Sandringham’s favour. With thunder and rain pelting down, the Seagulls kicked the last 3 goals to finish the contest winning 15.11:101 to 11.16:82. Sandringham will be ruing their start to the game.

“Can’t afford to give starts we did and try to make it up.” Allen said.
http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/star/wi ... 50883.html
But the Seagulls struggled to contain the Zebras in the last term, with Adam Cockie, Brett Peake and Myke Cook kicking goals within the first six minutes of the term, before Williamstown captain Ben Jolley, who held the midfield together, answered with a superb goal against the flow.

The frenetic final few minutes was pressure footy at its best, at times resembling a scrum, with no player willing to give an inch.

Sandringham got within a point of Williamstown, but the Seagulls finally found some space and broke the Zebras’ spirit with three late goals to win the match.

“I got a bit nervous when they kicked that first couple in the last quarter but you’ve just got to dig deep in these games,” Williamstown captain Ben Jolley told VFL radio.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL RD 5 - Sandy vs Williamst'n - Review

small amount of video from rd 5
http://www.saints.com.au/?nvId=443659

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY