What's up with Sam GILBERT?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: What's up with Sam GILBERT?

:D

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote:Why should my wife have to deal with two kids under 6 at night, so I can enjoy myself.
You really should organise a break for yourself mate, and so should your wife…

Take it in turns for a night off occasionally, will do you both good.

Sacrifice a bit of your time from Saintsational in order to attend. Will do the whole world a bit of good.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I don't have to go to Etihad to post. But thanks spinner.

Couldn't the same be said for a few of us??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And thanks for the advice Dragit.

But I actually would prefer to spend time with them, and enjoy being at home.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hilarious.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Bring back the RAPH !!
But only if Grammy is dropped.

We CAN'T have two Whipping Boys TM is the side together!

Don't you know the rules??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Ross who?
Club Player

Sam looks like he needs a couple of games at Sandy, however we need a replacement that is ready to go. One of Gwilt or Clarke. Both of which don't seem to have enough match conditioning ATM. Fisher is not a replacement as he is a different type.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert fought pretty hard, but yes disposal was crapola. Nothing new. But his fight and effort unquestionable. Sometimes you've just gotta do what he's doing - grind it out - and eventually things click back. Walker was hardly a star - he'd get 5.5 to Gilbert's 4.5 outta ten. I'd all but take that. Besides Raph, Gwilt and Chips in the wings. Who'd have thought we'd ever have such a bevy of competition?

Simpkin is so calm, competitive and capable. Lyon - s*** selection policy. Shameful exclusion. This kid is a rare gem.

Wilkes - sorry - he was a genuine lumbering passenger. Still shaking my head at those who thought his Melbourne effort was some kind of revelation. The bloke is a capable VFL player and an honest trier but way too heavy and slow for repeat efforts required at AFL level. Sipposs, in ya come.

Gee it's nice to have choice for a change.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He has picked the right time for a form slump ;)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was used as a key defender and it didn't suit his game. He is better free wheeling and running. He has been pretty good this season and has picked up since 2011, I'll back him to improve once he has the luxury of Fisher back in tandem. The defence held up well, wouldn't change it, nice balance of experience adding to Simkin's enthusiasm.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Gilbert fought pretty hard, but yes disposal was crapola. Nothing new. But his fight and effort unquestionable. Sometimes you've just gotta do what he's doing - grind it out - and eventually things click back. Walker was hardly a star - he'd get 5.5 to Gilbert's 4.5 outta ten. I'd all but take that. Besides Raph, Gwilt and Chips in the wings. Who'd have thought we'd ever have such a bevy of competition?

Simpkin is so calm, competitive and capable. Lyon - s*** selection policy. Shameful exclusion. This kid is a rare gem.

Wilkes - sorry - he was a genuine lumbering passenger. Still shaking my head at those who thought his Melbourne effort was some kind of revelation. The bloke is a capable VFL player and an honest trier but way too heavy and slow for repeat efforts required at AFL level. Sipposs, in ya come.

Wilkes plays a role in taking a defender out wide to the flanks and chases well. The talls were all played to allow the smalls easy access to the ball and they were targets as much as the tall forwards. Wilkes possibly played straight into the next game as he did what was asked.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Thinline wrote:Gilbert fought pretty hard, but yes disposal was crapola. Nothing new. But his fight and effort unquestionable. Sometimes you've just gotta do what he's doing - grind it out - and eventually things click back. Walker was hardly a star - he'd get 5.5 to Gilbert's 4.5 outta ten. I'd all but take that. Besides Raph, Gwilt and Chips in the wings. Who'd have thought we'd ever have such a bevy of competition?

Wilkes plays a role in taking a defender out wide to the flanks and chases well. The talls were all played to allow the smalls easy access to the ball and they were targets as much as the tall forwards. Wilkes possibly played straight into the next game as he did what was asked.
Good point and well made. With all that freewheeling speed freaking going on up forward I overlooked the role-player...

Still reckon he's a tugboat though. 8-)

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cant go along with that about Tom. He played 2 games last year and was found wanting fitness wise. He wasnt ready but he learnt and that is why gifting games isnt always ideal. I reckon how RL handled him has helped him this year.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I don't have to go to Etihad to post. But thanks spinner.

Couldn't the same be said for a few of us??

Just a suggestion which you obviously didn't understand. Maybe less SS would give you some more free time to do other things.

Everybody wins. Especially us.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

i don't want Gilbert out of the team. There i said it!

Yes he is in a form slump but my question is ..... is there anyone playing for Sandy that will give us anything better at the moment?

And I'm saying someone who plays his position so don't give me Ledger or Gwilt etc etc.

I'm sure there is someone like Newnes who is young and quite promising but at his best will probably give us what Gilbert does when he is out of form.

Gilbert upside is so much more.

We have vital Games in the next 2 weeks and I believe that dropping Gilbert would be a very stupid move.

Also Raph is coming back from an extensive injury and the 2nd game back is always the hard one, so I don't want to see him in the team this week!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Double post sorry

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

A whole 2 games???

All this while the unfit Simpkin was again finiship top two in a VFL...

Hilarious.... Can you ask Tom why he was not fit enough after 3 years on the list??? That is since you have such strong connections...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
gringo wrote:

Good point and well made. With all that freewheeling speed freaking going on up forward I overlooked the role-player...

Still reckon he's a tugboat though. 8-)

Kosi and Roo were played well wide of where they usually position themselves too. Obviously a strategy as they ran out wide spreading open the carlton defence where our smalls were running into space. Wilkes obviously has some WAFL and VFL goal kicking form and I'm happy to wait and see if he's a spud, tugboat or gun. I like to reserve judgement until someone has had a chance to provide evidence.

I was at ground level in both the Melbourne game and the Carlton game and he was really good in the Dees one because he added genuine pressure which Milney doesn't and Kosi isn't exactly great at. Rooey tries but labours for little result in that department these days. If he can play a Dawes type role while Rhys plays predominantly as a ruck he will be a great pick up.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Cant go along with that about Tom. He played 2 games last year and was found wanting fitness wise. He wasnt ready but he learnt and that is why gifting games isnt always ideal. I reckon how RL handled him has helped him this year.

Does it say in the AFL book for dummies that keeping blokes out of the seniors and playing them in the VFL helps their development? Did you and Rossy read passagers of the book to each other and learn about player development from this wonderful book you always refer to?? Gee...I must have a read...NOT

You absolute Lyon apologist tool!!! Young players need to be shown faith and given an opportunity to learn on the job. Tom's playing well because the coach has played him for more than 2 games. That means Scotty has 'backed' him in and Tom is growing in confidence and adapting to the intensity. His efforts in the last two weeks have repaid that faith from the coach.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Unforgiven wrote:Non existant right foot, and EVERYONE knows it. He got away with his shimmy two step in that breakout year, but now opposition know he can't kick on his right, and his left is suspect under pressure.
Yes, he should definitely work on his right side which would make him a much more complete player.

Assuming that he cannot, and, just as a mental exercise ... I know they are expected to play all over the ground ... what is the best flank for a one-sided left-footer to play? With his right side facing the near boundary or his left?

You need to factor in whether Gilbert is predominantly a hooker like Buddy or a slicer.

In other words, which way do most of his bad kicks curve?

And when he does his shimmy, on which side does he usually pass his opponent and on which flank would he be shimmying into space rather than the boundary?

I'm trying to work out which wing to put him on

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:A whole 2 games???

All this while the unfit Simpkin was again finiship top two in a VFL...

Hilarious.... Can you ask Tom why he was not fit enough after 3 years on the list??? That is since you have such strong connections...

You just cant stop stalking my posts but are to arrogant to quote them. Firstly Simpkin was a rookie and secondly he was a KPP who wasnt ready. I know people can play a long time and not understand the game and you are a 100% perfect example. And to prove it further potato head agree with you.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Gilberts good outweighs his bad, he stays.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Only Gilbert's flexibility will save him cos with a fit list there's plenty of tall defenders and medium running defenders in a lot better form than he is. Hopefully he regains form cos when at his best he's easily in our best 22 and the team is a lot better.