Jason Gram's game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Jason Gram's game

dragit wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:Ben, Fisher, Schneider, Raph, Ledger, Curren, Newnes, Ferg, Rhys, Dunnell, Ross, Wilkes (up forward), D'arch would all offer more now and going forward. Peeps may argue the toss on some of those guys, but even so, that so many names could be throw up as preferable to Grammy is a disgrace and an indictment considering his talent! :evil:
Dave you're getting right off your tucker here mate…

Sounding a little like ToTheTop with Milne or Tweedledum with Joey…

8 of those have proved absolutely nothing so far, two of which can't even play unless we get a long term injury.

Gram is a running defender, he's not an inside mid… Averaging 21 touches a game (same as J.Steven), he's been going alright without vying for a brownlow.

For whatever reason you don't like his attitude & think he isn't trying hard enough, same is said about Montagna. There is some kind of tough-guy mentality that perpetuates this myth particularly regarding more outside type players. "He needs a good kick up the arse" … much easier at home on the couch or up in the stands that is for sure.

They both look like they are trying to me… & obviously the selection panel thinks so too or they wouldn't be picked.
Hi Dragit, sorry I forgot to name you on my little list of posters above, you should be there (despite missing the call on Jack R on another post - don't worry, I reckon our latest boy from Colac will have you back on track with that one next Friday.) :wink:

What can I say...? I guess the reason I haven't been on the cases of the likes of Milney,(and especially) Monty, Dal and Gilbo is that I see them really trying hard. I agree with P66, Grammy doesn't have to be Lenny, but he could attempt to do the one percenters. Again, I'm not out there (for good reason) but if I was, even I could at least attempt to perform the one percenters. I mean, you don't have to be a hardnosed in and under grunt-machine to wander over to a contest, and try and put a shepherd on for a team mate. Hey, that shepherd mightn't be the greatest ever, but at least if I was out there I can say that I'd give it a go. :evil:

I guess Dragit what I'm trying to say in my own incoherent way, is for peeps to maybe not just watch what Grammy does, but watch what he does not do...

Grammy just wanders around, picking up meaningless, ineffectual, no damage-to-the-enemy-possessions. So for me, to compare his count with the boy from (where was it again?) is misleading.

I do realise that many of our blokes whom I listed above haven't played or aren't eligible to play seniors, or haven't done much if they have played seniors, but I would honestly prefer any of them to the current Grammy performances.

If people don't agree with all those names listed above, you'd have to admit that at least several of them offer the team more than Grammy is currently. Based on that he shouldn't be taking their spot.

Or another way to look at it is, who would you drop before Grammy? IMHO... Sippos will be a star and needs games to achieve this. Cripps could comfortably perform Grammy's 'role'. Gilbo isn't as going as bad as some would have, can play tall, oh, and is always hard at it. CJ is seriously underrated, and again, I don't reckon his kicking is as distastrous as some believe. Am I forgeting someone?

As for the coaching staff, et al... I suspect that as the senior guys on the injury list come back, Grammy will go out. I also suspect that Pelchen will look seriously at moving him on next year. Time will tell I guess...? I read that they tried last trade period, Nuff Nuff Melb were interested, but baulked when they heard what he was on. (Can anyone confirm/refute that???)

Again Dragit, he can do soooooo much better, and I'm not sure why peeps' are putting up with his under-delivery. I again ask the question, to you honestly believe that Grammy is trying his guts out for the team? Coz from my (comfy :wink: ) vantage point, I sure can't see it.

Come on Grammy, you are way better than all this crap, and you can do way better. Go Grammy!

... rant over, I'll try and get back on my tucker now. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
andrewg
Club Player

Running defenders should be a lot more damaging to be honest, especially in top 8 teams.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Rubbish.... Thankfully Scotty who would Analyse the games thoroughly thinks otherwise...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I am not looking for or wanting support from other posters, and popular opinion doesn't interest me..... Just my opinion

Would you like me to roll out actual stats.... From 2010 to now.......To make my point

It will take an hour or so, and I have done it recently also.... So really I cant be bothered

I will say, he has picked up 25 touches numerous times, has won brownlow votes, has picked up 30 plus a few times and been considered BOG..... That is fact

Tackles, if you don't know that defenders have the lowest tackle count in modern footy and win the most uncontested ball in modern footy and have the highest kicking efficiency, you have limited knowledge

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I am not looking for or wanting support from other posters, and popular opinion doesn't interest me..... Just my opinion

Would you like me to roll out actual stats.... From 2010 to now.......To make my point

It will take an hour or so, and I have done it recently also.... So really I cant be bothered

I will say, he has picked up 25 touches numerous times, has won brownlow votes, has picked up 30 plus a few times and been considered BOG..... That is fact

Tackles, if you don't know that defenders have the lowest tackle count in modern footy and win the most uncontested ball in modern footy and have the highest kicking efficiency, you have limited knowledge
BigMart & me are tight.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BigMart wrote:I am not looking for or wanting support from other posters, and popular opinion doesn't interest me..... Just my opinion

Good for you Mart. Hold the line, keep punching and some other (yes, sincere) affirming phrases as well..., but I'd also be interested in your opinion re addressing some of the specific points I posed in the above post. Actually, pretty much every paragraph contains a point awaiting rebuttal. :wink: (Same affirmation and question also applies to anyone else out there who agrees/disagrees on this. Hey, that's the idea of a fan forum...) Ta.

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Here goes…
Dave McNamara wrote:Grammy doesn't have to be Lenny, but he could attempt to do the one percenters. Again, I'm not out there (for good reason) but if I was, even I could at least attempt to perform the one percenters.
Lenny Hayes, Goddard - averaging 2 - 1%ers per match
Gram averaging 2.8
Dave McNamara wrote: Grammy just wanders around, picking up meaningless, ineffectual, no damage-to-the-enemy-possessions. So for me, to compare his count with the boy from (where was it again?) is misleading.
Takes very astute judgment as a backman to know when to leave your man and take the game on. He does it very well considering he has not had many goals kicked on him.
Dave McNamara wrote: I would honestly prefer any of them to the current Grammy performances.
Siposs, Newnes and Cripps are the only ones who have played a similar role, they all average less than half his disposals when doing so, it might look easy and like wandering around, but it obviously isn't or more blokes would be able to do so…
Dave McNamara wrote: If people don't agree with all those names listed above, you'd have to admit that at least several of them offer the team more than Grammy is currently. Based on that he shouldn't be taking their spot.
Only Fisher, Ben and Schneider would be walk ups… I don't think it will be Gram that will be dropped for them when they are ready.
Dave McNamara wrote:Or another way to look at it is, who would you drop before Grammy?
Good question, depending on match-ups I suppose, Sippos, Cripps, Geary, Blake, Gilbert, Ray, a small forward?
Dave McNamara wrote: As for the coaching staff, et al... I suspect that as the senior guys on the injury list come back, Grammy will go out. I also suspect that Pelchen will look seriously at moving him on next year. Time will tell I guess...? I read that they tried last trade period, Nuff Nuff Melb were interested, but baulked when they heard what he was on. (Can anyone confirm/refute that???)
We'll see on the dropping… I heard Carlton were interested but couldn't afford him. I think we were shopping him around to try and relieve some salary cap pressure - as he is highly paid and we do have a number of medium running defenders…
Dave McNamara wrote: Again Dragit, he can do soooooo much better,
He's nowhere near my favourite player btw, but I just don't know how you can tell that? He's not a pack-smashing player, never was… I personally don't think he isn't putting in.
And seriously… - Wilkes, Archer, Curren and Ferguson suggestions ≠ tucker :D

andrewg
Club Player

Good to a see a mature and reasonable discussion. Well done fellas

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Now that's a considered response Dragit. I'm enjoying my tucker currently, so will try and come up with a considered response of my own tomorrow. :wink:
andrewg wrote:Good to a see a mature and reasonable discussion. Well done fellas
I struggle with maturity. Probably something to do with being in denial as to what generation I'm meant to belong to. However, I do try not to drag down the standards around here... well not too far... :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Thanks, because I was over it....

Luckily he used that 'astute judgement' in the 2010 drawn grandinal in the last minute....

Name a rebounding defender who is a hard man..... Perhaps Waters??

O'brien, Yarran, Drummond, Dempsey, Birchall, Davey, Gibbs, R.Shaw, Murphy??? None of which will win the courage award at their clubs

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Knowing now that Grammy has an Aussie Bulldog - Ill never the bag the bloke ever. I love love those dogs.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Knowing now that Grammy has an Aussie Bulldog - Ill never the bag the bloke ever. I love love those dogs.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The bulldogs OK

What's with that other thing, better be his girlfriends dog...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The bulldogs OK

His girlfriend is okay in my book.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I remember the NAB when we threw young Cripps down there and how much he laboured for no result. It is a really hard role and looks terrible when it goes wrong. When you run around grabbing easy possessions your no good anyway. Maybe Grammy needs to look like he works harder so people get off his back. I believe he is looking like his body is back to what it was and his game has been good so far in 2012.

He actually did a few good 1%ers in that game. TV doesn't show your off the ball work.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Love how posters start this stuff then head for the hills...then they say that Gramsy is soft.... :roll:

Take a two week rest in Big footy Spiro K. :D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If that's his missus, no wonder he doesn't give a s*** about footy.... And doesn't want to get hurt.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

LOL - All out of hardness by matchtime..........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im with bigmart on both scores here.
if thats his girlfriend - the guy has already made IT! he is just in self preservation mode wow!
and the chihuaha. thats weird. must be his gfs dog surely.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote:The bulldogs OK

His girlfriend is okay in my book.

the girlfriend obviously has not helpwith the decorations as it looks like a mens den!!!

saint6709
Club Player

If thats his girl friend - he has made it :) - I think he is also playing pretty well and doesn't need to initiate body on body contact every time he gets the ball - I think he wins a good share of his one on one contests

Ross who?
Club Player

Ummmm......i......er......take it all back.
What was i .....er.....gonna say???

Now i see what he brings to the team environment :roll:

Blake Acres fan club VIP
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Gram will be in the team....

He will play a decent game.....

Posters will complain and want him dropped.....

No different to every other week :roll:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
felix
Club Player

So 1 gram has a nice house, has a nice girl, got a nice dog, walks around the back line picking up
Kicks at ease , has a nice salary, gets picked every game ....life's bloody good for Grammy at the mo.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

The following aren't my words, but you can truly believe that I'd be happy if they were, plus I'd be delighted to give the authour credit if he so wishes... :wink:

• ...the fact is that we've all seen Glammy tackle with intent in the past, without necessarily being an inside mid type. We've all seen him, in the past, show intensity to get to a contest, and then demonstrate intensity at the contest, and that is what pisses people off, is that the intensity appears to have been missing for some time.I don't expect him to be something he is not, but I do expect 100% when he steps onto the paddock, and we are not getting that.Standing outside a pack doing nothing, not even covering off an outside opponent, then jogging to where the next contest occurs and getting there after the contest is over is bulls***. That is what he is doing at the moment, and he is being fed disposals by hard working teammates and turning it over. Not good enough.

All I can add for the moment is that another defence of Grammy is that his role is to run and carry..., and fair enough, but again, my issue is that that's no longer happening either. He no longer poses any threat to the oppositon whatsoever.

Someone like Crippsy would currently already offer more run, carry and threat than Grammy currently does. Give him a few consistent games to adjust and settle, and he'll offer even more. As fo Sippa', same also, except I reckon his upside extends all the way to future match-winner. So play these types of blokes instead I reckon(!)

As for Friday night, Grammy has (yet) another chance to get me to apologise. (Yeah, I know I'm not on his list of priorities, but that's cool, I'll apologise anyway... :) ) Since Grammy has already brought Jake King to heel (we've all no doubt seen the picture of lil' Jakey sitting placidly on Grammy's left knee), I'd like to see Grammy do that job again on King on Friday night.

Come on Grammy!

PS: It's a touch ironic. It seems that many of us who are on Grammy's case are frustrated with him because we actually rate him (at his (better/best) more highly than some of those who defend him do...?
So come on Grammy, turn it on and show both sides to be wrong...! Now that would be somewhat ironic... :idea:

PPS: To all the many American Saintsationalists out there, you can look up 'irony' in any good dictionary. :wink: