Our Cheer Squad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

noddy04
Club Player

Re: Our Cheer Squad

Batnoe wrote:Our cheer squad is an absolute disgrace. It beats me how people that look as though they have never held down a job can afford to travel. I give them kudos for going to most games assuming they spend their pension on flights? I guess flights must be cheaper on the pension?

I've only seen the cheersquad once in flesh and i thought it was crap... no atmosphere or overall good vibe... the ladies are overweight with mullets... hairy chins and coke bottle glasses

I think the Saints should sack the current cheersquad and re-hire others... ones that are going to get mutual supporters to barrack for us!
So Batnoe you can tell how well off a person is by the way they dress to go to the footy? Whenever the Saints play here in Adelaide we always try to sit with the Cheersquad as there is safety in numbers as well as being with passionate supporters. A lot of the c/s wear the latest club apparel which as much as i would love to I cant afford.

And to Redeemers attack on Dools(again) gee you must be a f ucking stud mate if you keep bringing up that Dools is a virgin(is that a crime)?. Obviously you are jealous of Dools and his Dad being friends with Mr Westaway or you wouldnt have mentioned it. How about growing up and supporting all cheersquad. And as for your attack on "bogan hairy chinned women" in the c/s wow mate that is just juvenile and weak

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

noddy04 wrote:
Batnoe wrote:Our cheer squad is an absolute disgrace. It beats me how people that look as though they have never held down a job can afford to travel. I give them kudos for going to most games assuming they spend their pension on flights? I guess flights must be cheaper on the pension?

I've only seen the cheersquad once in flesh and i thought it was crap... no atmosphere or overall good vibe... the ladies are overweight with mullets... hairy chins and coke bottle glasses

I think the Saints should sack the current cheersquad and re-hire others... ones that are going to get mutual supporters to barrack for us!
So Batnoe you can tell how well off a person is by the way they dress to go to the footy? Whenever the Saints play here in Adelaide we always try to sit with the Cheersquad as there is safety in numbers as well as being with passionate supporters. A lot of the c/s wear the latest club apparel which as much as i would love to I cant afford.

And to Redeemers attack on Dools(again) gee you must be a f ucking stud mate if you keep bringing up that Dools is a virgin(is that a crime)?. Obviously you are jealous of Dools and his Dad being friends with Mr Westaway or you wouldnt have mentioned it. How about growing up and supporting all cheersquad. And as for your attack on "bogan hairy chinned women" in the c/s wow mate that is just juvenile and weak
No it's not and no I'm not.

I am a stud.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As I say, GET INVOLVED!!!!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:As I say, GET INVOLVED!!!!!!!!!
The problem is the Cheer Squad sit in a crap spot! (not their fault I know)

I hate sitting behind the goals.

We do have one of the quietest cheer squads in the league but I really don't care. I go to the football and worry about me, my family and the players, coaches etc.

Couldn't give a fat rats tossbag about the cheersquad or anyone else!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
dragit
Saintsational Legend

What's a "cheer squad"?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:

We do have one of the quietest cheer squads in the league but I really don't care. I go to the football and worry about me, my family and the players, coaches etc.

We have a 2nd unofficial cheersquad. It's the Moorabbin Wing level 3 Aisle 35

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Problem I have with the cheersquad is in WA they mistake loud passionate and loyal cheering members as drunk .. FFS we get the team here once maybe twice a year of course we are going to be loud but the old biddy's can't handle it

It has improved a lot but we are still a fair way from making the relationship with us and the cheersquad work but that may be cause I personally was dealing with the granny squad .. Now someone ekes is it might change ( I think my eagerness and forward thinking scared the poor dears )

Dools was a big help though

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
matrix
Saintsational Legend

gee never saw this turning into a slapping contest
:roll:

i see dools every aami game
he is there at every game
who cares who he knows or doesnt know

every time i (and others, gday noddy) sit in the cheer squad theres always someone trying to get the bay going and starting the st kilda chant
if everyone around in the other bays started it would travel around the ground like a mexican wave
remember the 2010 grannie (the first one)?
they tried the cooooollingwooood chant and what happened?
30 odd thousand saints fans shut it down real quick with a st kilda chant
and it sounded f****** brilliant
so if everyone got involved then it wouldnt be just 30 odd people behind a goal and then wouldnt sound so quiet
i will say im not a fan of the 'give us another one woo woo woo' chant but blimey,
they're at all games, travel and do the banner
be stuffed if i could devote that much time and energy EVERY week

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

paulski wrote:Whoops, I meant LOUD! :oops:

What sort of cheersquad chants : "We want another one, just like the other one, goal, goal, goal, Whoooooo"
I have personally spoken to some of the boys a few years ago and they all lothe that stupid chant.

Personally I think our cheersquad is an embaressment. I did attempt (along with other members of the vaunted Moorabbin Wing) to join the cheersquad on several occasions but was met with disdain and nasty stares so I gave up on it.

I wish they were louder and had better chants but for that ill stay up in the Wing.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:

We have a 2nd unofficial cheersquad. It's the Moorabbin Wing level 3 Aisle 35
And on the odd occasion that the Moorabbin Wing has ventured down to sit in the bays beside the CHEERSQUAD (Fully ticketed Ess Home games) the atmosphere has been fantastic. The Moorabbin Wing is a success because of the dedication & vision of a few people (sonof66, Wizsteppa & saint66au) and I'm sure that if the leaders of the CHEERSQUAD were to engage in discussion with these guys, and others then we would quite possibly see some fantastic ideas come out.

Another thing would be to get some of the players to try to scatter some of those little footys around a bit more. They rarely go past the 50 metre arc on the City side when most of that side is SAINTS reserved seat holders. They could even try to get a couple up on to L2, or even L3 if they have strong enough arms. There must be some kids who have heaps of these things !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As with any group, be it footy, bowls, tiddleywinks, stamp collecting....... whatever, there will be imperfections and flaws. I've sat with some "supporters" and heard them whinge and carp as soon as it looks remotely hard for us, the CS cop some flak that is simply not jusstified. may I support the idea from my pal Eastern that the leaders of the MW and CS get together? A great idea though, would be for as many people as possible to consider taking out CS membership and get involved with building the CS, rather than simply bagging them.

Batnoe
Club Player

noddy04 wrote:

I am just saying how 'old school' and 'poor' and by poor it could be poor at cheering or poor in their pocket!

I am glad they are passionate, however they are not loud and our cheersquad sucks!

Carn Saints
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Bigger flags.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sitting in the Cheer Squad unless we can get those "sweathog" bomber jackets that were an 80s staple for all good boguns after the demise of the duffle jacket and worn with pride by cheer squads right up until about 2002. I'm just wishing I could get a bit more of a beard to go with my hand knitted giant pom poms.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The club need to do a lot more work on their marketing and just getting the Saints out there in the media generally- way too conservative and not much passion at the moment. It would be great for the club to run some official kind of campaign specifically to do with the cheer squad- get out there Mr Nettlefold and co..you're slipping in this area.

Austinnn
Club Player

I have had a lot to say on crowd support in the past, so I'll try and keep this brief:

IMO St Kilda is on the precipice. After it's 100 & so years of failure and pathos-ridden exploits interspersed with proud moments and great teams, and about 10 years of (mostly) highly professional progress, it currently sits in the bottom half of the 10 Victorian clubs.

We saved ourselves from bankrupcy and we survive, despite everything, but surviving will not be enough, we need to strengthen the support and revenue or this club may have to do more than play 2 or 3 games in NZ to survive.

Strenthening support is the key obviously. We need to attract new members. Believe it or not the people most integral to this happening are us, in a few different ways:

1) We need to have kids and give them the gift of StKilda heritage! Likewise to our sibling's children, and cousins' children. Create a family dynasty. How do we attract them? See point 2).

2) We need to go to games, and cheer and create a mad atmosphere that is ELECTRIC and INFECTIOUS. The sort of support that someone might see on TV or games and think "That looks like fun, I want to be part of that!"

3) If we do 2) properly, we will also create an environment that will inspire our team to greater victories and achievements, which will then inspire greater support. Collingwood and Adelaide are two examples of rabid home & away support (Crows less away for obvious reasons) that create a huge break for their team.

4) If we do 1), 2) & 3), we create huge bargaining power with the AFL and we get, to a certain extent, to dictate terms (e.g. Eddie McGuire).

Let's look at Point 2):

Loads of us here go to games. That's why we support a team in the first place. But how many of us really get out of our comfort zone to give loud and proud support to the team for the entirety of a game, every game? How many of us can be counted on for that support? It's easy to rock up in your normal clothes and have a few cheers with a couple of mates, and go home again, but the cheersquad do a lot more than that. Their lives seem to revolve entirely around the club. The effort that they have put in over the decades, through good times and bad, is immense and deserving of more respect that is shown here.

The fact that it is clearly not enough is not the fault of the cheersquad, but ALL THE OTHER SUPPORTERS. They are doing what they can, how many of us can say the same?

We need to create a cult that will be written about and focussed on on TV coverage, that will be Tweeted about, something like the Animal Enclosure but more positive. Here's how I'd do it:

First of all, it must NOT come from the club, it mustn't be official, otherwise it will be discounted as inauthentic and corporate. The cheersquad are required to be there, even though they are volunteers, they are part of the club organization. They need support from us.

We need chants. "Miiiiiilney!" and "Give us another one" are OK, it's the fact that they are the ONLY chants that annoys and embarrasses us. in the 3 pages and infinite threads I've read on this site, I've seen people bagging those chants but NOT ONE alternate suggestion. Weak. What's the matter, are you afraid your suggestion will be laughed at? Or maybe you have no imagination of your own? There are 22 players in our match day squad, we should have chants for at least half of those. They don't have to even be chants; remember that noise the Blues fans used to make whenever Ang Christou kicked the ball? That was when I first started watching footy, and I don't remember anything about the player, but I remember that sound! What does that tell you?

I want to see threads suggesting chants or songs or noises - it doesn't have to be Shakespere, the simpler the more effective it will be. Pick a tune that everyone knows and change the lyrics. If you want to see this done effectively look at the English Premier League. Even if all the songs are a variation of There's only one Tony Lockett, it's better than nothing. Don't wait for someone else to start it, you do it, get your mates to back you up. If it works, it will catch on and in a few months you'll have the whole crowd - or at least the red white and black section - doing it, you'll have the commentators remarking on it, you'll have kids doing it in the street. You'll even have the club picking it up and making it into a thing; look at the way the doggies used to use the WOOFometer or whatever it was called, or the way the Tigers use the Yellow and Black section of their song. But it's not easy to start something, knowing that you could be laughed at. That's what I mean about getting out of your comfort zone. I've got the ball rolling, have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76088 If you can do better, then by all means...

We need banners/flags. Dooley has already told us that the AFL are party poopers in that respect, so if they can't be big, make them effective in other ways. How many times have you seen the YOU BLOODY BEWDY banner or the one with the naked lady on Saints telecasts, or the girl who insists on telling the world that she's FREE FOR THE BROWNLOW. Good on those people! If only we had 100 times that number. So many wisecrackers on here, you're telling me you can't think of anything better than that? Dr Spaceman has got to be the go-to guy for banner copy, you could take every post that he writes and turn it into a banner. Even the Watter man signature that he's got would make a good one.

We need costumes. I'm not talking about the lame club merchandise, I'm talking about red white and black explosions of colour in the crowd, the more mental the better. If your kids want to dress up for it, let them and do it yourself. You can get changed at the ground. This one is the most full-on for commitment, and frankly a bit beyond me, but if there is anyone out there doing that, they should be celebrated, not ridiculed.

Most importantly, we need attitude. If you're dressed like a wizard holding a MILERA MAGIC banner and sat there like a bloody potato, no one will give a continental. Look at the Jiggling Saint. I've seen him on the telecast more than once, always positive, always enjoying the game, no matter what the score. I don't even know the guy, but he's a legend. He represents our club just as much as Nick Reiwoldt, perhaps more because long after Roo has stopped kicking goals, and long before I'd imagine, the Jiggster will be/was there on camera, giving it all for the club he loves. To look again at the English soccer, Portsmouth are a club notorious for the best support, even though they have a modest achievement.*

This last point about attitude is the most important. We have to know where the line is and conduct ourselves with self-respect, the absolute minimum of behavior that you would not like to see yourself at the games, like violent abuse or lewdness, you don't want to be That Guy picked out and kicked out. Also, negativity is not attractive; no one is going to want to join in with a bunch of whiners who pick out their own players. It's not accepting mediocrity, it's called support. Leave it to the club and the coach to give the players a kick up the arse. If they don't then their failure will manifest itself in St Kilda's achievements and they will eventually be replaced. Don't focus on abusing the opposition or the umpires either; that is boring. We have to represent our club with self-respect outside the stands as well, on Public Transport, in traffic, in pubs, in the street; walk tall, be proud, be loud but don't be a knob. Especially these days when someone could film you and stick you up on YouTube, Facebook or Twitter in a matter of minutes.

Stand together. Support anyone going for St Kilda who stands alone, who sings alone, who needs your help. 20'000 individuals are one thing. A giant monster with 20'000 heads is another, know what I mean? People love crowd movements, and so does the media, so the more unified we can be, the better chance we'll have of picking up new members to jump on the bandwagon.

OK Look, I tried to keep it brief. I failed. I also live in France, so there's no way I can do any of the things I'm suggesting. I used to go to games and yell support throughout the game - not always positively - but I can't now.

But instead of bagging the grannies who support our club, I think we need to provide support to that support. From other posts, it seems there are other areas of support, so if you're not the maverick type and you work better as a follower than a leader, why not join those other groups and help make their voices louder and the area wider.

AND If anyone tells you to shut up, you ask them to get involved or go home. And cheer louder. If you are abused, look for support from your fellow supporters. If you are kicked out, write to the AFL and tell them that their stewards are over policing the game, that without the supporters, the AFL wouldn't have any money and demand finals tickets as compensation, and send that letter to the media.

By the way, I also think we should petition the AFL to remove size restrictions on flags and banners.

*(they are on the brink of survival now, but that's more to do with the administration's appalling business decisions and private ownership, it couldn't happen in AFL)

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hope you dont want to write a lot.

Austinnn
Club Player

Stay tuned for my novel, coming out in July. Bring a wheelbarrow.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Jigging Saint is a gun though. Total gun and always great to see on the television.

Batnoe
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:Jigging Saint is a gun though. Total gun and always great to see on the television.

I met the jigger with his gotee tied in stkilda elastic bands

We know Joffa, we know the bulldog with his Mohawk we know the cat with masses amounts of badges and facepaint but none with the saints except an old lady with a hairy chin...

We need someone with a huge personality that can paint a picture for the club.
Yes, I know Redeemmer, but personally I don't dislike anyone like he and Dooly seem to have. If I was lucky enough to follow the saints around like Dooly and be the age he was I would take strangle hold of the stkilda cheersquad and take over!

Facepaint every week... Hairstyles... Badges... Emoticions ... It doesn't matter! He could be an Australian icon if he used his brain and furthered his position!

Mate, I want you to be good
Because I love the saints that much! Keep at it and try and recruit! I run a Brisbane surporter group in which the club isn't interested in helping as it isn't registered with the club but only coz i have no time to do it but perhaps you should get in contact with the club to write a letter to all members inviting others to join... Perhaps go to moorabin wing and invite them and then take control. Surely you have the youth and enthusiasm to do this plus the love and longevity of the club

Carn Saints
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Great post Austinn! And from Batnoe too!

Austinnn
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:Great post Austinn! And from Batnoe too!
Thanks fella. You do good work!

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I was always under the impression that cheers squads were for kids. I have to tell you I'm baffled why a middle aged man would paint his face, wear a club jumper and carry on like a peanut in a cheersquad situation, i see them from time to time on the TV and at games and watch in wonderment.

If the Squads targeted kids only the squads would grow, the parents would allow them to join knowing that those middle aged men & women wouldn't be there.

Joffa, perfect example, if that's the path you want to go down then you can jam Cheersquads in my opinion.

Austinnn
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:I was always under the impression that cheers squads were for kids. I have to tell you I'm baffled why a middle aged man would paint his face, wear a club jumper and carry on like a peanut in a cheersquad situation, i see them from time to time on the TV and at games and watch in wonderment.

If the Squads targeted kids only the squads would grow, the parents would allow them to join knowing that those middle aged men & women wouldn't be there.

Joffa, perfect example, if that's the path you want to go down then you can jam Cheersquads in my opinion.

I absolutely agree, it's vital to get kids involved. They are there to have fun, they take the sport less seriously and they give the club and the sport a fresh look. The club could offer incentives, for example if the kids are in the cheersquad, they could subsidize nearby seats for the parents/wards so they could be close to their child for security reasons (this is the age we live in). The cheersquad could have a load of other activities planned on non-gamedays.

But there is a room for passionate tribal adults as well, perhaps less prominent but a supporting role. Trouble is a lot of those adults don't really make good role models for the young impressionables. And I suppose a lot of parents would be nervous about leaving their kids alone in an environment with adults without those adults being subject to police checks, and it being all official, which many adults would be reluctant to do. Maybe there should be Senior and Junior cheersquads, and the club should be helping out the junior one a lot more, maybe even get some of the younger rookies involved in mentoring programs. Just some ideas.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I was always under the impression that cheers squads were for kids. I have to tell you I'm baffled why a middle aged man would paint his face, wear a club jumper and carry on like a peanut in a cheersquad situation, i see them from time to time on the TV and at games and watch in wonderment.

I absolutely agree, it's vital to get kids involved. They are there to have fun, they take the sport less seriously and they give the club and the sport a fresh look. The club could offer incentives, for example if the kids are in the cheersquad, they could subsidize nearby seats for the parents/wards so they could be close to their child for security reasons (this is the age we live in). The cheersquad could have a load of other activities planned on non-gamedays.

But there is a room for passionate tribal adults as well, perhaps less prominent but a supporting role. Trouble is a lot of those adults don't really make good role models for the young impressionables. And I suppose a lot of parents would be nervous about leaving their kids alone in an environment with adults without those adults being subject to police checks, and it being all official, which many adults would be reluctant to do. Maybe there should be Senior and Junior cheersquads, and the club should be helping out the junior one a lot more, maybe even get some of the younger rookies involved in mentoring programs. Just some ideas.
I sat with the cheer squad at the nab game against Sydney and Geelong and they were not great role models. Agree on the kids thing, the club should get some officially recognised folks to get working with children checks and go out into the community in schools, auskicks, churches anything. Have them help make the banner and lift it, participate in the involvement, give out those behind the goals tickets to some from the group and start involving people in the club.

They should try handing out free kits to schools so the kids play under our colours. My Grandfather and dad both were/ are fans because they played country footy in our strip and they forced me. Creating future support isn't going to do anything under their watch so the club probably won't act but rethinking some of the conventions may create something better.