Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armo

& Armo got played out of position for half a season a negating half forward,

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
stinger wrote:have to agree with you here......imho....lyin cost us one and possibly two premierships with his handling of armo and to a lesser degree, steven and geary
Crikey! That's a mighty big call right there ... exactly which 2 years would that have been? And who would they have displaced?

Maybe, just maybe Geary for Eddy in 2009 ... but I can't think of another swap at all. And the 2009 Geary was not the 2012 Geary, who has been very good indeed.
True re Eddy.

One of the worst footballers in living memory to play in a GF.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:True re Eddy.

One of the worst footballers in living memory to play in a GF.
And yet almost certainly a much much better player than either of us. Not his fault he was picked for those games.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:And yet almost certainly a much much better player than either of us. Not his fault he was picked for those games.
why would you compare an afl footballer with random posters on a footy message board? surely afl footballers should be compared with other afl footballers? in which case eddy was definitely at the limited end of the spectrum.

elvis lives
Club Player

Moods wrote:
elvis lives wrote:I love how we see players blooming under a new coach, having previously been coached by R Lyon, Armo and ball in particular, and there are people on here that actually beleive it is that the player's attitude has miraculously changed overnight through no influence of the coach. and that then use this argument to justfiy Ross not playing and not rating them. The proof is clearly in the pudding people. Under Watters Armo has turned into a very very good player and Malthouse managed to get 100% better output from luke ball. those are the facts. How you can say this doesn't refelct badly on R Lyon is beyond me. Surely it is his job to get the best out of players, and others have succeeded where he failed.
Zac Dawson, farren Ray, . For every two that left and made a success of themselves elsewhere there is two that played under Ross and ressurected (sic) their careers. Just because Armo enjoys playing under Watters more than Ross doesn't mean that Ross was a poor coach. I guess Malthouse must have been a dud because Heath Scotland blossomed at Carlton?
I never said Lyon was a dud or failed with every player. all i said was that he failed with these two. I aknowledge he was a very good coach for us, very nearly the best ever. But I also recognise that he made some mistakes along the way. generally these mistakes were made in the pursuit of a opremiership, at the expense of the future. that in of itself is not a bad thing as he very nearly delivered us a flag and if he had of, well the point would be moot. it is not a contradiction to say he was very good but also made some mistakes, most of which are costing us now.

what is rediculous, and seems to be yours and plugger's thesis, is that because he was successful or because he won 19 in a row, he never made any mistakes and is immune from ciriticism.

I am marching in the Saints army
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
St DAC wrote:And yet almost certainly a much much better player than either of us. Not his fault he was picked for those games.
why would you compare an afl footballer with random posters on a footy message board? surely afl footballers should be compared with other afl footballers? in which case eddy was definitely at the limited end of the spectrum.

He was but i think St Dac second point is relevant. Why people seem so keen to knock players that are picked is beyond me. it seems posters think these players pick them selves so we should knock them for it. Eddy was a great player but why would anyone want to say he is one of the worst footballers in living memory to play in a GF. My bet is the poster hasnt gone through to many GF sides to even see if that is close to right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

elvis lives wrote:
Moods wrote:
elvis lives wrote:I love how we see players blooming under a new coach, having previously been coached by R Lyon, Armo and ball in particular, and there are people on here that actually beleive it is that the player's attitude has miraculously changed overnight through no influence of the coach. and that then use this argument to justfiy Ross not playing and not rating them. The proof is clearly in the pudding people. Under Watters Armo has turned into a very very good player and Malthouse managed to get 100% better output from luke ball. those are the facts. How you can say this doesn't refelct badly on R Lyon is beyond me. Surely it is his job to get the best out of players, and others have succeeded where he failed.
Zac Dawson, farren Ray, . For every two that left and made a success of themselves elsewhere there is two that played under Ross and ressurected (sic) their careers. Just because Armo enjoys playing under Watters more than Ross doesn't mean that Ross was a poor coach. I guess Malthouse must have been a dud because Heath Scotland blossomed at Carlton?
I never said Lyon was a dud or failed with every player. all i said was that he failed with these two. I aknowledge he was a very good coach for us, very nearly the best ever. But I also recognise that he made some mistakes along the way. generally these mistakes were made in the pursuit of a opremiership, at the expense of the future. that in of itself is not a bad thing as he very nearly delivered us a flag and if he had of, well the point would be moot. it is not a contradiction to say he was very good but also made some mistakes, most of which are costing us now.

what is rediculous, and seems to be yours and plugger's thesis, is that because he was successful or because he won 19 in a row, he never made any mistakes and is immune from ciriticism.

Cant speak for Moods but not once ever have a said Rl never made mistakes. He made plenty I imagine but i also reckon what some people think here is a mistake may not have been and i reckon there may be times when people here think he coached brilliantly where as thought he coached like crap. My point has always been there is more to a game than just seeing who is picked and how they play. Maybe in the 70's thats how it worked but with all the structures these days we wouldnt have a clue as to why or why not players are picked or played in certain positions.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Eddy averaged 26 disposals during the 2006 TAC Cup year and was picked in the All Australian U18's side

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was a good u18 player

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He was a good u18 player
like caydn beetham?