Weekly Crap Umpiring Post

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Weekly Crap Umpiring Post

Maklom wrote:So you are an umpire Plugger, thankyou for sharing. You could no doubt offer some valuable insight into the clandestine operation that is the AFL umpiring fraternity. One question I had been desperate to ask is what you think of the constant rule changes, is it a bugbear of yours or not a problem at all?

btw, can't control how the public is influenced by the commentators but if umpires are influenced by what certain commentators are saying...especially Dwayne Russell, then they need to harden up and I mean that in the nicest possible way!

I umpire my local club in the ammos. Know nothing about AFL umpires at all and I certainly never said umpires were influenced by what commentators say. i said some supporters were.

I actually think most rule changes have improved the game. The one I dislike the most is hands in the back when marking and not because it is silly rule but i think it is to hard for the umpires to see it all the time. The Ammos dont have that rule as it would be impossible to judge with only 2 umpires.

Maklom
Club Player

Sorry, I interpreted that you were an AFL umpire.

Another couple of questions for you, and I apologise to everyone else that may be getting bored with this thread but I am finding it fascinating:

1. Have you ever made a mistake officiating a game?
2. How often has this happened?
3. Are you able to review said mistakes in some capacity afterwards?
4. What could you do to rectify those mistakes going forward?
5. Do you ever converse with players, coaches or club officials in any capacity at any time about umpiring?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Maklom wrote:Sorry, I interpreted that you were an AFL umpire.

Another couple of questions for you, and I apologise to everyone else that may be getting bored with this thread but I am finding it fascinating:

1. Have you ever made a mistake officiating a game?
2. How often has this happened?
3. Are you able to review said mistakes in some capacity afterwards?
4. What could you do to rectify those mistakes going forward?
5. Do you ever converse with players, coaches or club officials in any capacity at any time about umpiring?

Made many mistakes. Probably make 1 or 2 a game plus others i dont pay. It is seconds umpiring in D grade ammos so we dont review mistakes apart from players and supporters coming up to me after the game when having a drink and saying how badly i umpired and what decisions were wrong. I could rectify mistakes by not drink a dozen stubbies the night before game. And I converse with players every game. If they say that decision was wrong i tell them they wouldnt know that if they were good enough to play in the ones. I actually enjoy talking to the playes during the game. it makes the players feel more comfortable.

Maklom
Club Player

<I could rectify mistakes by not drink a dozen stubbies the night before game>

Is this the norm for you?

<If they say that decision was wrong i tell them they wouldnt know that if they were good enough to play in the ones>

Are you serious? Way to get the players and their supporters on side...unless you don't care about that.

Ok last question for the day for you regarding umpiring and its my pet peeve:

What do you think of extra penalising ie: 50 metres, interchange infringement, video review, etc

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Maklom wrote:<I could rectify mistakes by not drink a dozen stubbies the night before game>

<If they say that decision was wrong i tell them they wouldnt know that if they were good enough to play in the ones>

Are you serious? Way to get the players and their supporters on side...unless you don't care about that.

What do you think of extra penalising ie: 50 metres, interchange infringement, video review, etc

Mate you have the wrong idea about me as an umpire. I dont get paid at all. In the ammos you have to supply your own umpire for the reserves. i have done that most years from 1986 until I became the runner for the seniors a couple of year ago. My mate was sacked as coach so i am back umpiring in D grade ammo reserves so yes a dozen cans the night before the game is pretty normal. Why shouldnt I, half the senior players probably have more. As for my comment to players, it is always said in a joking way so the players usually take it the right way. Again it is D grade ammo reserves.

The 50 metres is a good idea but I think it should be like the ammos and have 25 metres. maybe you could have both. Interchange infringement is fair enough. If a player is that stupid then he deserves a penalty. If 19 were on the ground previously and a count was called you lost all your score. Video review is good because even if they only get 20% correct it is better than nil previously.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Wasnt it BJ. Doesnt matter it was wrong. Dont get bias call at all. Are you saying the umps wanted the WB to win. Sounds like complete crap to me.
Im saying we are on the receiving end of bad decisions more often than Collingwood.

We havent played Collingwood but that is funny all the same. I will ask again do the umpires go against us more often than not and if they do why?
Grant Thomas. Pretty simple.

plugger66 wrote:
Maklom wrote:<I could rectify mistakes by not drink a dozen stubbies the night before game>

Mate you have the wrong idea about me as an umpire. I dont get paid at all. In the ammos you have to supply your own umpire for the reserves. i have done that most years from 1986 until I became the runner for the seniors a couple of year ago. My mate was sacked as coach so i am back umpiring in D grade ammo reserves so yes a dozen cans the night before the game is pretty normal. Why shouldnt I, half the senior players probably have more. As for my comment to players, it is always said in a joking way so the players usually take it the right way. Again it is D grade ammo reserves.

The 50 metres is a good idea but I think it should be like the ammos and have 25 metres. maybe you could have both. Interchange infringement is fair enough. If a player is that stupid then he deserves a penalty. If 19 were on the ground previously and a count was called you lost all your score. Video review is good because even if they only get 20% correct it is better than nil previously.
I actually agree that a 25 meter penalty and a 50 would be a good idea 50 for serious stuff 25 for minor infringements. They should use your 6 can limit for all AFL umpires also. You've done more than Gieshen for umpiring already.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think I actually get it now.....

saintkellerm
Club Player

Well another week and yet again crap umpiring. Some stupid decisions by umpires. Unbelievable!!!

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

I reckon Plugger would actually look professional up against tonight's performance. I have faith in you Plugger, even with a slab the night before you couldn't be as woeful as the bias we saw tonight! Or did you share your slab with tonight's umps last night? :shock:

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:The free against Fisher for incorrect disposal when he kicked it took the cake.If the umpires dish there standard bias s*** next week where no chance.

Wasnt it BJ. Doesnt matter it was wrong. Dont get bias call at all. Are you saying the umps wanted the WB to win. Sounds like complete crap to me.
Im saying we are on the receiving end of bad decisions more often than Collingwood.

Posted this last week and if anyone that doubted me the proof was there for all to see.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL