Why Caddy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why Caddy?

Goddards breakout year was 2006..... 21yo

Lenny was 2001.... 21yo

Joey 2005..... 22yo

Gram 2006..... 23yo

Jones 2009..... 26yo

Armitage...... 2011...... 23yo
Steven......... 2011...... 21yo
McEvoy........ 2011...... 22yo

Dal Santo...... 2003 ..... 20yo

Ball........ 2004 ......... 20yo

Reiwoldt.... 2002......... 20yo
Koschotzke.....2001.......19yo
McGuire......... 2004....,, 20yo

Baker............ 2002..... 22yo
Blakey......... 2005....... 24yo

MCQualter ...... 2008..... 22yo

Gilbert.......... 2008......,, 22yo
Guilt............. 2009......,, 23yo

Geary..... 2009....... 21yo

All player mature at different ages, and start to consistently impact AFL

My rule of thumb is about 30-50 games

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Royston wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I'm not sure Caddy has done enough to justify the hype. I see a number of people on here compare him to Judd. I saw Judd play a lot of his junior footy and I still remember how gob smacked I was when we passed on him in favour of Ball. Let me state this now and if I'm wrong, may the wrath of all my fellow SS posters rain down on me. Josh Caddy is no Chris Judd and is never likely to be. Prefer Stringer and Mayes, if they are still available. That is if we can't organise a trade for Frawley. Caddy? Useful addition, for sure, but it won't be the end of the world if we don't get him.

Interesting that as the week has gone along the Judd comparisons have been made.

I have seen hardly any of Caddy's games so can't pass judgement but surely a comarison with Judd is unrealistic.
Judd's pace when he first was drafted was electric....in all the discussions Caddy's pace has never been mentioned, so
I am just assuming he has average pace.

Judd's stats surprise that they compare with Caddy's in their respective first 2 years...

The stat that would set Judd apart would be either how many running bounces he took or distance carried.

Judd is a once in a generation - know one compares on a like for like IMO.

have a look at his junior form at Vic Metro, he breaks out of the pack in the centre twisting free and bursts forward like Judd. Compare it to Kobe STEVENS AT THE SAME LEVEL.

Stevens doesn't even compare, both first rounders but the quality of disposal, the drive and the ability to win the contest are miles apart.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Watters has shown in his first year as coach that he can coach. Dermot Breraton said last year that he sees Scott Watters as a smart man (as much as he didn't want to admit that -don't know why?)
If Watters is that positive and effusive about Caddy i trust the call of the coach.
St.Kilda are very close to being able to play finals again in 2013.
It could be a smooth transition for Caddy to play alongside Lenny and Dal , Rooey and Kosi etc. who know all too well what it takes o play in grand finals. (wish i could say 'WIN' grand finals) but the players he would play with definately do know plenty worth imparting.

Wish i knew more about Caddy but if i spoke to him i could confidently assure him that our Sainters will be back in contention sooner than many think. Having a good coach helps a lot. Ross Lyon was that and i feel Scott Watters is as thorough and smart in his approach as Ross was and is.

GO CADDY !( if you join the Saints)

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.