Land of the Giants

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Land of the Giants

BigMart wrote:Nor did Cripps

And he's gone.... Turned out great value...

And if anyone has actually seen Lever play this year would laugh at the suggestion that he could be a factor in 2013.... He need to play a reasonable game in the thirds first

Who said he would be a factor in 2013?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think it was Eastern who mentioned him?!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think it was Eastern who mentioned him?!

He did mention him. My question was, after your statement, who said he would be a factor in 2013?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Was it not implied when he was bought into the discussion??

May. As well as bought Michael Sikora into discussion.... Just as likely to get an AFL game as Lever

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Was it not implied when he was bought into the discussion??

May. As well as bought Michael Sikora into discussion.... Just as likely to get an AFL game as Lever
Judge for yourself - this is all that was said:

Eastern wrote:How quickly you lot forget !!

We also have a developing 200+cm developing Ruck/KPP in Jay Lever !!
Don't think any time limit is mentioned. Just a general comment re talls on our list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Was it not implied when he was bought into the discussion??

The thread was about talls. It wasnt implied at all thet he may play in 2013. Sikora is tall but he isnt on our list.

ace
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Pyke and Mumford are hardly your mobile forward types people are screaming for. I see no reason why Ben can't have runs as a deep forward.
Maybe because Ben can't run.
As soon as the ball hits the ground his opponent would be runnnig off him creating the loose man for an easy exit out of defence.
Ben has less run and forward pressure in him than Kosi, and Kosi has zero.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Nathan Vardy, Matty Kruzer, Charlie Dixon, Nick Natinui, Mat Luenberger, Patty Ryder, Roughead, Tyrone Vickery...

Must all be wasted by their coaches then??!!

If I had a 200cm Athletic player at my disposal, I'd be very disappointed if he couldn't relieve the #1 Ruckman for 5-10 minutes a qtr.... And get some cheap kicks in the process... And the thing is, he actually wins hit outs!!

Another fact
Cannot have two lumbering Ruckman only players in the 22, due to the need for an extra to rotate, so the #2 has to be able to play minutes in the ruck, with a primary role elsewhere....

This year
Blake, Kosi, Stanley, Wilkes all had time in this role....
Vardy willl not I repeat will not be used as a first ruck. He is being groomed as a CHF and in the words of Neil Balm is to valuable commodity to be plonked in the ruck.

As for the lumbering ruck thing what about Pyke and Mumford? Ottens and King? Ottens and Blake? Renouf and Campbell?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
FQF
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:
BigMart wrote:Nathan Vardy, Matty Kruzer, Charlie Dixon, Nick Natinui, Mat Luenberger, Patty Ryder, Roughead, Tyrone Vickery...

Must all be wasted by their coaches then??!!

If I had a 200cm Athletic player at my disposal, I'd be very disappointed if he couldn't relieve the #1 Ruckman for 5-10 minutes a qtr.... And get some cheap kicks in the process... And the thing is, he actually wins hit outs!!

Another fact
Cannot have two lumbering Ruckman only players in the 22, due to the need for an extra to rotate, so the #2 has to be able to play minutes in the ruck, with a primary role elsewhere....

This year
Blake, Kosi, Stanley, Wilkes all had time in this role....
Vardy willl not I repeat will not be used as a first ruck. He is being groomed as a CHF and in the words of Neil Balm is to valuable commodity to be plonked in the ruck.

As for the lumbering ruck thing what about Pyke and Mumford? Ottens and King? Ottens and Blake? Renouf and Campbell?
Pre-sub days

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
CURLY wrote:Pyke and Mumford are hardly your mobile forward types people are screaming for. I see no reason why Ben can't have runs as a deep forward.
Maybe because Ben can't run.
As soon as the ball hits the ground his opponent would be runnnig off him creating the loose man for an easy exit out of defence.
Ben has less run and forward pressure in him than Kosi, and Kosi has zero.

Ben is there to lead and and make a contest. Milne, Saad, Milera, Sneider and so on are there to keep the ball in. Id prefer a ruckman that can take a contested mark but is perhaps a tad slow to a mobile ruckman that cant mark like Goldstein.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Pre-sub days
Swans won the GF two weeks ago.

FQF
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:
FQF wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Pre-sub days
Pyke is not as one dimensional as the classic ruckman. Nor was Ottens for that matter. It also has to be factored in to the other members of the forward line. Sydney have a pretty fast mobile forward line, so having a less mobile ruckman drop in won't be nearly as detrimental as having a ruckman drop into a forward line of Riewoldt Kosi/Wilkes.

Every element of the team has to work in tandem. You can't accurately compare two teams ruck stocks in isolation from the rest of their team, that won't work.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
CURLY wrote:

]

Pyke is not as one dimensional as the classic ruckman. Nor was Ottens for that matter. It also has to be factored in to the other members of the forward line. Sydney have a pretty fast mobile forward line, so having a less mobile ruckman drop in won't be nearly as detrimental as having a ruckman drop into a forward line of Riewoldt Kosi/Wilkes.

Every element of the team has to work in tandem. You can't accurately compare two teams ruck stocks in isolation from the rest of their team, that won't work.
I understand what your saying but it has been shown that you need two true rucks. I know Stanley can ruck as the club obviously do but he is far to valuable to be thrown in the ruck for extended periods. Geelong want Vardy as a CHF and to stay there as they know how hard it is to get players like him.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

GEEZUS !!

I mentioned Jay Lever in this thread BECAUSE he is tall and he is on our list. That is what I thought the thread was about. Silly me. Got it wrong again !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:GEEZUS !!

I mentioned Jay Lever in this thread BECAUSE he is tall and he is on our list. That is what I thought the thread was about. Silly me. Got it wrong again !!
No probs at all Eastern. I got what you were saying, as did most others.

Unfortunately at least one poster had a BIG misunderstanding of it :P

matrix
Saintsational Legend

how big?
say....as big as K mart

:?:

lloyd21
Club Player

Would think Saints will draft more talls still as Kosi gone next year would think Wilkes will only last next year if Lee comes on they will upgrade Ferguson from Rookie .
Siposs will be the swingman going forward / back .

Expect Saints to draft Jaksch or Membrey if available too they need to reduce the Riewoldt work load expect him
to play deep forward next 2 years to save his body.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He may as well not be on our list was my point.... Just like Crocker may as well not have this year!!

We would play Joey in the Ruck before Lever this year, next year and most likely beyond....

If the Ruck position is so insignificant that players are 'wasted' there ......... Why do we crap on about ruckmen all the time?!

Too important for the ruck..... What a ridiculous comment.....

Not sure any of the 18 positions are unimportant?!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He may as well not be on our list was my point.... Just like Crocker may as well not have this year!!

We would play Joey in the Ruck before Lever this year, next year and most likely beyond....

If the Ruck position is so insignificant that players are 'wasted' there ......... Why do we crap on about ruckmen all the time?!

Too important for the ruck..... What a ridiculous comment.....

Not sure any of the 18 positions are unimportant?!

You didnt say that at all. Cant you admit you said the wrong thing?