Captain 2013 and beyond.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captain 2013 and beyond.

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Are we going that bad and that isnt a slight on Jarryn.
Well explain what it is then....

Pretty simple. I dont think he should captain our club.
That's called an opinion....

Which you're welcome to.

Not sure why you feel the need to shoot mine down though.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Are we going that bad and that isnt a slight on Jarryn.
I have always been a big fan of Gears, but I agree, he's not really your marquee captain-type.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Well explain what it is then....

Pretty simple. I dont think he should captain our club.
That's called an opinion....

Which you're welcome to.

Not sure why you feel the need to shoot mine down though.

Cant see how I had a go at you. I dont want him Captain so i said that.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

But I spent a good five minutes making up a campaign badge...

What am I going to do now?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:But I spent a good five minutes making up a campaign badge...

What am I going to do now?

Give them to all the people who like the idea. There maybe more who want him Captain that dont want him Captain.

andrewg
Club Player

With the season opener imminent and our media campaign in full swing is it just me or is the club getting us more comfortable with Big Mac as our 'leader'. He is on all the promotion materials looking very serious and again on the GWS vs Saints advertisement on our website. Rooey just doesn't seem as prominent as he has been in the past.

Thoughts?

IMO he is an absolute shoe in for captain 2014

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:With the season opener imminent and our media campaign in full swing is it just me or is the club getting us more comfortable with Big Mac as our 'leader'. He is on all the promotion materials looking very serious and again on the GWS vs Saints advertisement on our website. Rooey just doesn't seem as prominent as he has been in the past.

Thoughts?

IMO he is an absolute shoe in for captain 2014

the club ( media depart) recognise that the Club needs to be more than Roo and Lenny, there needs to be a spread across the team of 'known' players.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
andrewg
Club Player

yep good move.....just has a very different feel to the last 4-5 years

defacto
Club Player

for me its one of montagna or dal santo for 2 years

then i think newnes might be ready

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Mac still has his own spot and game to worry about before he can start taking responsibility for the team

PJ
SS Life Member

If Rooy plays on for a couple of seasons you have to give it to him until there's a more obvious choice. I'm not a big fan of giving it to players that are really just kids and trying to develop themselves as regular 22. Any number of players (Macca, Newnes even Saady) may put up there hand but I think you've got to wait till that happens rather than putting it on someone with potential - that could have disasterous consequences for team and player.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jarryn reminds me of Paul Kelly from Sydney. He was the captain that barrelled head first in and ran to help his young team mates. Gears to me would be a guy I'd want to win for more than Mc Evoy who plenty have said will be captain one day. Big Mac seems very mild mannered and quiet. Newnes speaks really well as does Saad -both would do the ambassador role well.

Left field one in the same vein as Dempster would be Dylan Roberton- he was marshalling the backline really well against Sydney and sending players out to loose opponents. I think he looks like he might just become something very good for us long term, hasn't put a foot wrong since he started and looks like he's got heaps of scope for the future.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Jarryn reminds me of Paul Kelly from Sydney. He was the captain that barrelled head first in and ran to help his young team mates. Gears to me would be a guy I'd want to win for more than Mc Evoy who plenty have said will be captain one day. Big Mac seems very mild mannered and quiet. Newnes speaks really well as does Saad -both would do the ambassador role well.

Left field one in the same vein as Dempster would be Dylan Roberton- he was marshalling the backline really well against Sydney and sending players out to loose opponents. I think he looks like he might just become something very good for us long term, hasn't put a foot wrong since he started and looks like he's got heaps of scope for the future.
Roberton? that is a very early call, he's about our 26th player at this stage.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
gringo wrote:Jarryn reminds me of Paul Kelly from Sydney. He was the captain that barrelled head first in and ran to help his young team mates. Gears to me would be a guy I'd want to win for more than Mc Evoy who plenty have said will be captain one day. Big Mac seems very mild mannered and quiet. Newnes speaks really well as does Saad -both would do the ambassador role well.

Roberton? that is a very early call, he's about our 26th player at this stage.

Got to go early or it's not left field- he is showing heaps to me and about the stand out over the NAB for me hasn't had a bad game. Friends who support Freo always said he had massive potential and thought he'd be a star. I might be tainted by that but at the moment he looks like he could keep Simpkin's spot and looks like he frees Gilbert up at the moment if Simpkin comes back. His leader ship shone through when I sat on the goal line at the Sydney game- he just naturally sent players to loose opponents and knew when to leave his man and when to stay. Some guys talk and others listen he seems to have that and has good judgement. He might turn out to be nothing but remember i called it early if he becomes captain in 2016. :wink: