Ray!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ray!

Playon wrote:I thought we looked better when Ray played last year, He seemed to make the side look better balanced and good to see someone down back that can take a decent grab. Anyone know the win loss ratio of the games he played in?
Someone that can take a good grab? Fisher and Dempster could definitely fall into that category.

Last year he played in six wins, five losses.
Last edited by bergholt on Wed 20 Feb 2013 7:57am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:I'm not sure he'll make the backline by the time we've got everyone playing. Fisher, Dempster, Geary, Gwilt and Simpkin all likely ahead of him. Siposs looks like he'll be the sixth guy.
Often we will have a loose man in defence, so maybe Ray gets a gig to free up Gwilt or Siposs, who are both good distributors.

Ray's strength overhead is vastly under-utilised imo and would be very handy across half back ala David Grant.

But, as you said, he is versatile and two sided and I reckon they'll find a slot for him in the best 22 regardless.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Just to summarise.
There are a lot of pluses such as courage, one grab mark, ability to play in many positions, ability to carry out important team oriented objectives such as shutting down (not to mention beating) Swan in the GF, right age bracket, provides run and carry etc..
Above all, I reckon his one big attribute is - he's a trouper, a quiet achiever who's not being paid over the top and who doesn't expect to be, someone who puts the team (and not himself) first and who sets a great example for the younger players to follow.
A special guy like that, who is doing everything right, on and off the field, needs to be in the 22 every week (it's not as if the team is doing him any favours - it's the other way around if anything). We need to promote a solid player and citizen like that - not push him to the fringes.
It's a team sport after all and it'll be hard to find a more team orientated player.
How disheartening must it be for someone to be doing everything right and yet still be finding himself left out of the team - and what message does that send to the rest of our players?
I'd go so far as to say other players must be disappointed whenever he's left out of the team - and I'm not sure what affect that would have on overall team spirit and morale.
Last edited by samoht on Wed 20 Feb 2013 10:35am, edited 1 time in total.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

samoht wrote:Just to summarise.
There are a lot of pluses such as courage, one grab mark, ability to play in many positions, ability to carry out important team oriented objectives such as shutting down (not to mention beating) Swan in the GF, right age bracket, provides run and carry etc..
Above all, I reckon his one big attribute is - he's a trouper, a quiet achiever who's not being paid over the top and who doesn't expect to be, someone who puts the team (and not himself) first and who sets a great example for the younger players to follow.
A special guy like that, who is doing everything right, on and off the field, needs to be in the 22 every week (it's not as if the team is doing him any favours - it's the other way around if anything). We need to promote a solid player and citizen like that - not push him to the fringes.
It's a team sport after all and it'll be hard to find a better team orientated player.
How disheartening must it be for someone to be doing everything right and yet still be finding himself left out of the team - and what message does that send to the rest of our players?
I'd go so far as to say other players must be disappointed whenever he's left out of the team.
Agreed, Farren is a very good asset and will continue to be for at least another 4 years.
He has played 82 games for the StKFC at an average of 16.4 games per year, is 187 cm and 84 kg - his stats make him a better than average player and is, I'd suggest, in our best 22.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Totally agree Samoht.

Ray is genuine quality IMO. Suffered from an unfair & uneducated knock when at the Bulldogs that lacked courage. He's the complete opposite, won't shirk a contest and will help out team mates by peeling off to contest. Something Gram lacked. His awareness was questioned at the Bulldogs where he was run down numerous times. Now I believe that was more to do with the Bulldogs structure & game style as I believe Lyon's structures assisted him and I struggle to remember him being caught too many times at the Saints.

I believe him to be easily in our top dozen and look forward to him working with Watters to cement a spot across the wing or half backline.

Austinnn
Club Player

matrix wrote:great overhead mark in traffic for a small guy
should be in 22 imo

he IS in 22 every weekend:

for that is his shirt number

just missing myself laughing at that one over here...

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone