Lockett's move to Sydney was financed by the AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lockett's move to Sydney was financed by the AFL

plugger66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Do we know if Joey or Rooy have deals with channel 7 and dal with 9? They knocked back Judd and Selwood but not Cloke but i suppose Carlton arent a pwerful club unless its suits us when discussing something. And do we know the amount cloke is getting? Could be 20k or 100k but who knows. But they just want to look afer the Pies and now it is GWS and GC. I suppose thats why Tippett got to GWS. The AFL made sure of it.
Okay he didn't go to the Giants. But for the part he played in manipulating the draft they could have deregistered him for twelve months making him ineligible for this years draft, but they didn't. Don't you wonder why they didn't? :roll:

I honestly can say I reckon 11 games was to much. he is only the player. The club and his manager should have got more. The Storm players didnt get anything at all and look how seriously the NRL took that.
they were stripped of their premierships. They could have stripped Tippet of his right to play AFL for a year and made it look unacceptable. They have been slapping everyone with wet lettuce leaves lately because they are out of control and don't know what to do. One of the Crows administrators has already served his suspension- during the holidays. It must have really scared him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
Okay he didn't go to the Giants. But for the part he played in manipulating the draft they could have deregistered him for twelve months making him ineligible for this years draft, but they didn't. Don't you wonder why they didn't? :roll:

I honestly can say I reckon 11 games was to much. he is only the player. The club and his manager should have got more. The Storm players didnt get anything at all and look how seriously the NRL took that.
they were stripped of their premierships. They could have stripped Tippet of his right to play AFL for a year and made it look unacceptable. They have been slapping everyone with wet lettuce leaves lately because they are out of control and don't know what to do. One of the Crows administrators has already served his suspension- during the holidays. It must have really scared him.

We are talking about their players. They got nothing so how do you then come up with Tippett out for a year?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:

We are talking about their players. They got nothing so how do you then come up with Tippett out for a year?[/quote]

They lost their premierships. As a player that is probably a pretty big slap.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We are talking about their players. They got nothing so how do you then come up with Tippett out for a year?
They lost their premierships. As a player that is probably a pretty big slap.[/quote]

So did the players who didnt cheat the cap so they all got the same penalties.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The Storm players didnt get anything at all and look how seriously the NRL took that.
Tippett got bugger all in comparison. They lost the biggest prize of their footballing life. And given a full season with nothing to play for except pride. Massive punishment. Imagine the afl finding out in 2011 that in Geelong's flags in 07 and 09 a few players were drug assisted. Then they take away both premierships and in 2011 award no points for any games, dooming them to last place. And the players have that full season to run.
That is what happened to the Storm players!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The Storm players didnt get anything at all and look how seriously the NRL took that.
Tippett got bugger all in comparison. They lost the biggest prize of their footballing life. And given a full season with nothing to play for except pride. Massive punishment. Imagine the afl finding out in 2011 that in Geelong's flags in 07 and 09 a few players were drug assisted. Then they take away both premierships and in 2011 award no points for any games, dooming them to last place. And the players have that full season to run.

And i will say it again, all the storm players got that penalty but the ones who cheated didnt get any extra penalty. I dont think Ryan Hoffman was one of the guys who was paid above the cap but he lost his premierships and was forced to play for nothing.

And how do you quantify what losing a premiership is worth anyway. If a Saints player lost his premiership in 1966 then what penalty could Tippett get to compare with that. Im suggesting life wouldnt compare with that.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I just think that the AFL are setting themselves up for a big fall. Melbourne found guily of something (but not tanking). No penalty. Tippett and Adelaide found guilty of acting outside the rules of the draft (no significant penalty). Channel 9 giving Cloke a job thereby ensuring he stays in Melbourne and at Collingwood. Nothing to see here.
Boy, talk about being played.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:I just think that the AFL are setting themselves up for a big fall. Melbourne found guily of something (but not tanking). No penalty. Tippett and Adelaide found guilty of acting outside the rules of the draft (no significant penalty). Channel 9 giving Cloke a job thereby ensuring he stays in Melbourne and at Collingwood. Nothing to see here.
And Demetriou reckons he's got at least three more years in the job. :lol:

Good luck.

He probably hasn't noticed Kennett positioning himself.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

And i will say it again, all the storm players got that penalty but the ones who cheated didnt get any extra penalty. I dont think Ryan Hoffman was one of the guys who was paid above the cap but he lost his premierships and was forced to play for nothing.

And how do you quantify what losing a premiership is worth anyway. If a Saints player lost his premiership in 1966 then what penalty could Tippett get to compare with that. Im suggesting life wouldnt compare with that.
That's the point - the club cheated, and the players wore the harshest penalties. Who's quantifying? I'm qualifying. My point is a rebuttal of the claim that 'The Storm players didnt get anything at all'.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote: Tippett got bugger all in comparison. They lost the biggest prize of their footballing life. And given a full season with nothing to play for except pride. Massive punishment. Imagine the afl finding out in 2011 that in Geelong's flags in 07 and 09 a few players were drug assisted. Then they take away both premierships and in 2011 award no points for any games, dooming them to last place. And the players have that full season to run.

That's the point - the club cheated, and the players wore the harshest penalties. Who's quantifying? I'm qualifying. My point is a rebuttal of the claim that 'The Storm players didnt get anything at all'.

Every storm player got the same penalty whether they cheated or didnt. And the club lost the flag. I have heard a few storm players talk about losing the flag and they say they regard themselves as winning the flag. Actually the supporters got the biggest penalty, just ask them. Did the storm players who cheated get a bigger penalty than the club, the players who didnt cheat or the supporters?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They will never take away the exhilarating feeling the players/fans felt on that day..... And that's what it's all about.

After that day, it's just a memory supported by a tin cup.

Players will still regard themselves a winning the GF... Whether the records state it, why.... Because they have the memory of having done so...

The club lost some face, but that's about it...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

It'd be way more interesting if the heading was

Lockett's move to Sydney was financed by the CIA

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:And Demetriou reckons he's got at least three more years in the job. :lol:

Good luck.

Zero chance of Kennett being a CEO. He's the President at Hawthorn and I reckon that ten hours a week or so suits him very well. Working fifty or sixty hours as CEO, at sixty-five years old? I can't imagine that appealing to him. He'd rather be outside pissing in.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
bigcarl wrote:And Demetriou reckons he's got at least three more years in the job. :lol:

Good luck.

Zero chance of Kennett being a CEO. He's the President at Hawthorn and I reckon that ten hours a week or so suits him very well. Working fifty or sixty hours as CEO, at sixty-five years old? I can't imagine that appealing to him. He'd rather be outside pissing in.
Kennett is not Hawthorn president.

He would do the AFL job on the bit and restore some of the competition's integrity, which is sorely needed. Might even do something revolutionary like fix the fixture.

He's also become quite outspoken recently about Demetriou's numerous shortcomings and was recently backed publicly by Eddie McGuire to take on a job as a commissioner.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. I'm running with it anyway.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Good luck.

Kennett is not Hawthorn president.

He would do the AFL job on the bit and restore some of the competition's integrity, which is sorely needed. Might even do something revolutionary like fix the fixture.

He's also become quite outspoken recently about Demetriou's numerous shortcomings and was recently backed publicly by Eddie McGuire to take on a job as a commissioner.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. I'm running with it anyway.
He'd probably just sell all the teams like he did with the state assets.
He'd also get rid of the 'bogons', which would effectively reduce crowds by around 80%

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:He'd probably just sell all the teams like he did with the state assets.
He'd also get rid of the 'bogons', which would effectively reduce crowds by around 80%

:lol: He has a good track record as an administrator. Arrogant perhaps, but he has his strengths. I also like his work post-politics with Beyond Blue.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Kennett is not Hawthorn president.
Fair point, I guess I need to pay more attention.
bigcarl wrote:He's also become quite outspoken recently about Demetriou's numerous shortcomings and was recently backed publicly by Eddie McGuire to take on a job as a commissioner.
Commissioner is completely different to CEO. That's a board role, a few hours a week, nothing like the CEO job. Mike Fitzpatrick is in more danger from Kennett than Demetriou is, but that said the AFL Commission isn't exactly a democracy so I'm not sure how Fitzpatrick would be winkled out.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Commissioner is completely different to CEO. That's a board role, a few hours a week, nothing like the CEO job.
It would give him a foot in the door and that may be all he needs.

I doubt the CEO role would faze him at all. He ran the state for years. He's a good delegator.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote: That's the point - the club cheated, and the players wore the harshest penalties. Who's quantifying? I'm qualifying. My point is a rebuttal of the claim that 'The Storm players didnt get anything at all'.

Every storm player got the same penalty whether they cheated or didnt. And the club lost the flag. I have heard a few storm players talk about losing the flag and they say they regard themselves as winning the flag. Actually the supporters got the biggest penalty, just ask them. Did the storm players who cheated get a bigger penalty than the club, the players who didnt cheat or the supporters?
Did you read my post? It's like you're on autopilot.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ds...i dont think there is a pilot 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote: That's the point - the club cheated, and the players wore the harshest penalties. Who's quantifying? I'm qualifying. My point is a rebuttal of the claim that 'The Storm players didnt get anything at all'.

I read it. I will give this scenario and an honest answer would be good. Adelaide won the flag last year. Tippett is found to have been paid over the salary cap. They take the flag off Adelaide and suspend all the officials involved.

Would you think the penalty if the right one on Tippett?
Would you think the other players should be penalised equally as him when they had nothing to do with it?
Would the media think Tippett got significant punishment?
Would you be happy Sydney have him in round one?
Would there be an uproar on here saying Sydney get preferential treatment?

Ive probably got more but I would be interested in those answers and please be honest.

/

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:I just think that the AFL are setting themselves up for a big fall. Melbourne found guily of something (but not tanking). No penalty. Tippett and Adelaide found guilty of acting outside the rules of the draft (no significant penalty). Channel 9 giving Cloke a job thereby ensuring he stays in Melbourne and at Collingwood. Nothing to see here.
Boy, talk about being played.
the feeling is that Essendon are going to be found guilty of cheating with drugs. so we won't see anything happen here either. only other than that stupid cow Dim Watson suggesting that the parents are happy with the camel urine squirted at them by the coach. ex-players parents not included.
the AFL are too concerned with playing down all this cr*p, rather than handing down strong penalites. talk about a boys club.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Superstar
Club Player

I now the deal upsets people because of the Eddie factor but in reality ifchannel 9 has multiple players on contracts for a similar value, surely the AFL can't knock back Cloke. Lots of players would have Media deals, can think of the foxtel 360 show, the channel 7 Sunday morning show and of course the footy show.

As to the Cloke doesn't have the personality to be on TV well, does Nick Maxwell he's on 7, does Dal on the footy show. Actually can't think of many modern players that do.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:They will never take away the exhilarating feeling the players/fans felt on that day..... And that's what it's all about.

After that day, it's just a memory supported by a tin cup.

Players will still regard themselves a winning the GF... Whether the records state it, why.... Because they have the memory of having done so...

The club lost some face, but that's about it...
Exactly. No one in the NRL really cares about the 'stripping of the flags'. It was just a gesture and nothing else. I doubt very much that the Storm fans burnt their GF DVDs. Did the players hand back their medals? Well, maybe they had to but it was nothing but a hollow thing and was totally meaningless.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

I read it. I will give this scenario and an honest answer would be good. Adelaide won the flag last year. Tippett is found to have been paid over the salary cap. They take the flag off Adelaide and suspend all the officials involved.

Would you think the penalty if the right one on Tippett?
Would you think the other players should be penalised equally as him when they had nothing to do with it?
Would the media think Tippett got significant punishment?
Would you be happy Sydney have him in round one?
Would there be an uproar on here saying Sydney get preferential treatment?

Ive probably got more but I would be interested in those answers and please be honest.

And the above have exactly what to do with the fact that the Storm players received nothing, according to you?
All you have to do is answer - 'be honest' - did they receive a punishment (i.e. loss of premierships and a chance of another) or not?
/
I don't give two hoots about Tippett and any of the scenarios you've outlined. Never commented on them. It's like we're racing in a sprint and you suddenly leap over an imaginary hurdle and insist I need to jump as well.