Go on defend that umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

back to the junction

Re: Go on defend that umpiring

I see some hope in the next few years after todays game. We got close to the Swans, Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast. After watching the SUNS over the past couple of weeks, that wasn't a bad loss considering, like the other pre mentioned teams, they could also make the finals this year. Ross Lyon killed our recruiting and opportunity to younger players and then he left us. Hawthorn, Geelong and Hawthorn haven't had any rebuild? Collingwood are still in the mix as well. The club or the Scotsman who is no longer at the club took us to bloody Seaford? Half of these people at the club make major decisions and then piss off. Like my sign on log on, back to the Junction. Correct me if I am wrong, Isn't Stkilda, the city, where we got our name from? With all our High Profile supporters, Warnie, Eric Bana, Gudinski and even Lindsay Fox, cant we please just ask the question. Can we build a social club at the junction oval and let our players train there?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

back to the junction wrote:Umpires were terrible, one of those umpiresI know personally and he is not a big fan of the Saints
You do have to wonder how personal bias cannot influence decision at times - some will say it is the umpires job not to allow bias to influence their decision making (professionalism??) but considering umpires are human and I have no doubt there isnt one umpire in the history of the game who hasnt let a personal bias influence a decision at one point in time during their career.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We need a President to go feral!

We have been getting murdered this year by umps..

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wayne Ludbey. ‏@WLudbey 7m
#aflsaintseagles, The umpires leave the ground after the final siren, pic.twitter.com/5kHNCfwYD0

Couldn't even name any of them.

We are below par this year, subsequently we get the no name umps.

back to the junction

Con Gorozidis wrote:We need a President to go feral!

Con, my friend, we need a President.

Statsman
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Wayne Ludbey. ‏@WLudbey 7m
#aflsaintseagles, The umpires leave the ground after the final siren, pic.twitter.com/5kHNCfwYD0

Couldn't even name any of them.

We are below par this year, subsequently we get the no name umps.
Umpires Sumich, Matera and Glendinning?

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
bergsone
SS Life Member

back to the junction wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We need a President to go feral!

Con, my friend, we need a President.

Is Jeff available? :wink:

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

back to the junction wrote:I see some hope in the next few years after todays game. We got close to the Swans, Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast. After watching the SUNS over the past couple of weeks, that wasn't a bad loss considering, like the other pre mentioned teams, they could also make the finals this year. Ross Lyon killed our recruiting and opportunity to younger players and then he left us. Hawthorn, Geelong and Hawthorn haven't had any rebuild? Collingwood are still in the mix as well. The club or the Scotsman who is no longer at the club took us to bloody Seaford? Half of these people at the club make major decisions and then piss off. Like my sign on log on, back to the Junction. Correct me if I am wrong, Isn't Stkilda, the city, where we got our name from? With all our High Profile supporters, Warnie, Eric Bana, Gudinski and even Lindsay Fox, cant we please just ask the question. Can we build a social club at the junction oval and let our players train there?

The Junction Oval's a wee bit small and we'd likely get no support from the council, but I like the idea. Would make the players, the media and the supporters happy. There's always some soulless bean counter ready to say no, though.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Umpires were great for three and a half quarters. I never criticise umpires, but after the last ten minutes and watching it again on TV, I'm starting to believe the conspiracy theorists. Mind you we did get away with a couple earlier on.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I was pleased to hear the Saints fans come to life tonight, for what seemed the first time in a while. What amazed me was the incredible sound as the crowd booed the umps off the ground - been a long time since I heard something like that from our supporters, but the umps deserved every bit of it. Our guys tackled themselves to a stand still, and in the first half in particular, the WCE should have been out of the game. They repeatedly took on multiple tacklers time and again and never got pinged for holding or incorrect disposal - it was simply ball up. In fact the holding decision we got in the left pocket at the Coventry end was the only holding the ball decision we got all night (if I am correct) and yet WCE got at least two of them. Considering we laid 74 tackles to the Eagles 40, it beggars belief that they could win n\more than 50% more free kicks than us.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Hardly cheats. Seen worst, didn't notice then much tbh.

Well open your fkn eye you idiot muppet.

Two non frees to Priddis for two goals.

We are two points up and WCE hold the ball in their goal square no free

Saad with 25 seconds to go cannonned in the back and it IS holding the ball.

We were absolutel robbed by those fkn c.unts.

Absolutely robbed.

And P66 if you come on here defending that fkn BS, you can go and fk yourself

lol. second Priddis free was there JB.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I was pleased to hear the Saints fans come to life tonight, for what seemed the first time in a while. What amazed me was the incredible sound as the crowd booed the umps off the ground - been a long time since I heard something like that from our supporters, but the umps deserved every bit of it. Our guys tackled themselves to a stand still, and in the first half in particular, the WCE should have been out of the game. They repeatedly took on multiple tacklers time and again and never got pinged for holding or incorrect disposal - it was simply ball up. In fact the holding decision we got in the left pocket at the Coventry end was the only holding the ball decision we got all night (if I am correct) and yet WCE got at least two of them. Considering we laid 74 tackles to the Eagles 40, it beggars belief that they could win n\more than 50% more free kicks than us.
Why did we have so many tackles? Because they had the ball. Why did they get so many frees? Because the player with the ball get's the benefit of the doubt.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
True Believer wrote:I was pleased to hear the Saints fans come to life tonight, for what seemed the first time in a while. What amazed me was the incredible sound as the crowd booed the umps off the ground - been a long time since I heard something like that from our supporters, but the umps deserved every bit of it. Our guys tackled themselves to a stand still, and in the first half in particular, the WCE should have been out of the game. They repeatedly took on multiple tacklers time and again and never got pinged for holding or incorrect disposal - it was simply ball up. In fact the holding decision we got in the left pocket at the Coventry end was the only holding the ball decision we got all night (if I am correct) and yet WCE got at least two of them. Considering we laid 74 tackles to the Eagles 40, it beggars belief that they could win n\more than 50% more free kicks than us.
Why did we have so many tackles? Because they had the ball. Why did they get so many frees? Because the player with the ball get's the benefit of the doubt.
You are going against the grain of pretty much everybody other than west coast fans tonight Bernie....

7 of their 12 goals from free kicks.

They only had 15 more disposals so I think it's exaggerating a bit to say they had heaps more ball.

I never whinge about the umpiring, but how that was umpired in the last, went against the spirit of the previous 3 quarters.

Two Priddis frees especially.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What about the free against Sadd in the second for interference. TDL then go it but called back. That was crap. WC got the ball and then got a goal out of it. 12 point turn around.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did WCE have more possession did they??

They were certainly given a lot of leeway when standing up in tackles to find a target?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
You are going against the grain of pretty much everybody other than west coast fans tonight Bernie....

7 of their 12 goals from free kicks.

They only had 15 more disposals so I think it's exaggerating a bit to say they had heaps more ball.

I never whinge about the umpiring, but how that was umpired in the last, went against the spirit of the previous 3 quarters.

Two Priddis frees especially.
The first Priddis free was fair enough, Roberton whacked him in the mouth, accidentally, but it is a fact. The second one was just blatant cheating by the umpire. Someone needs to check his phone betting accounts.

lloyd21
Club Player

Finey is on about it tonight very measured on Sen radio

West Coast have received 214 more frees in the last 2 years than given opponent

Stkilda the last 2 years have received wait for it. Minus. 83 bottom of the ladder enough said .

Arrogant West coast supporter calls up finey (sen) supporter claims because of Worsfold's perfect team tactics .

Just accept it guys .We are a soft target if it was Collingwood would front page & back page news.

Ps The Umpire chief is away on 6 weeks leave while the game in crisis . Joke.

KB on radio tonight says to Daniel Hartford on the boundary line gee it is hard to get a free kick Daniel
His reply is it depends on which colour jumper they are wearing. KB. Silence ......more Silence.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Bernard Shakey wrote:

Really - well that makes you an enormous f****** Muppet then doesn't it? Because they only had 15 more disposals than us yet we had 34 more tackles than they did, which really means we just worked much harder when we didn't have the ball. We had basically the same number of disposals, but nearly double the tackles, so we played with much more intensity. And if the tackles were rewarded with free kicks as they should have been then the WCE disposal count would have been a fair bit lower.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
St George
Club Player

Umpiring disgrace tonight! Club must act.

Good game Saints!

Furphy
Club Player

That's five games where umpiring decisions have cost us dearly
this year

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was at the ground and sat with the eagles cheers squad and they kept booing because they thought the frees where going to go against them heaps were laughing at the generous umpiring. The umps got booed from the ground the first time I have seen it since the early 1990s.

Milne and TDL should have had about 5 frees directly in front for holding. It wasn't even the numbers or the fact heaps seemed to be goal kicks- it was the lack of consistency. Even the Saad one late holding the ball looked high but would have been a free kick had it been WCEs forward. They must be corrupt they couldn't be that s*** could they?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Really - well that makes you an enormous f****** Muppet then doesn't it? Because they only had 15 more disposals than us yet we had 34 more tackles than they did, which really means we just worked much harder when we didn't have the ball. We had basically the same number of disposals, but nearly double the tackles, so we played with much more intensity. And if the tackles were rewarded with free kicks as they should have been then the WCE disposal count would have been a fair bit lower.

When we were controlling possession in the second quarter they still got frees while we seemed to get none so the argument didn't hold water.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Such a shame. I thought the umps were very good letting the game go most of the night. Then out of no where they flick a switch and start paying frees that weren't being paid all night. Changing interpretations week to week is hard enough to adapt to and understand, day by day even harder. But doing it suddenly during a match is comical.....well you have to laugh or else beat the crap out of your sofa.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

What was with that WCE kick-in Q2 that ran over the boundary without being touched.
No FREE???
Have they changed that rule as well?

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
suss
Club Player

Enrico_Misso wrote:What was with that WCE kick-in Q2 that ran over the boundary without being touched.
No FREE???
Have they changed that rule as well?
The umpire thought it was touched. He was wrong.