This years draftees

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: This years draftees

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:If GWS hold onto the #1 pick then I doubt they'll use it on Boyd given their current crop of tall forwards.
Or they could get him and create competition for spots and get a top 5 pick for the worst of them when one gets homesick or not a fair go in the future.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Megamaguire
Club Player

QuestionOfAccuracy said ...
]If GWS hold onto the #1 pick then I doubt they'll use it on Boyd
given their current crop of tall forwards.

makes you wonder if GWS would countenence a pre-draft swap of a tall fwd they don't rate as high as Boyd - and offload for a Saints second round pick or player which we probably don't have to swap . ?????????????????

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Josh Kelly having a big game and likely moving up the draft order and into that top 4 draft pick in the eyes of recruiters. Likely spoken about in that same group with Boyd, Aish and Sharenberg. IF we end up with a selection outside of that top 4 range (say 5-6) I would not be adverse to moving down the draft order to GWS's priority pick 10 if it included Taylor Adams coming our way. We know how much GWS recruiters love their early picks. I expect their priority is to keep Adams but if he were to force their hand than I see the above being a potential scenario. Not a lot of difference in this draft between pick 5 and 10. IF we have a pick inside the top 3-4 then keep that selection and disregard that potential trade.

Scenario for sh*ts and giggles:

Pick 5 for Taylor Adams and pick 10 (possibly an exchange of later picks involved)
Pick 10 for Crouch, Sheed, Billings, Dunstan - Insert any highly rated prospect

Potential we turn pick 5 into two fairly decent prospects. Of course this would have to include a player of Taylor Adams' potential.

southernsaint
Club Player

I like your thinking boys. could we throw in a player or two. I hear they are keen to trade for a ruck and an experienced defender

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

southernsaint wrote:I like your thinking boys. could we throw in a player or two. I hear they are keen to trade for a ruck and an experienced defender
IMO McEvoy would be the only player on our list with any serious currency. Gilbert and Gwilt the others who may interest GWS but only worth 2/3 round selections and not worth the trade for us.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
southernsaint wrote:I like your thinking boys. could we throw in a player or two. I hear they are keen to trade for a ruck and an experienced defender
IMO McEvoy would be the only player on our list with any serious currency. Gilbert and Gwilt the others who may interest GWS but only worth 2/3 round selections and not worth the trade for us.
Interesting thoughts. I think Simpkins hardness could see him gather some interest, and Ferg is a GWS local, so both could be decent carrots. I personally wouldn't want to lose Simpkin though.

If say, we get pick 4, then a couple of scenarios could work in our favour.

Pick 1, Adams, 10 >> Pick 4, McEvoy, Pick 23 (or Gilbert). Nah, way overs in our favour
Pick 1, Adams >> Pick 4, McEvoy. The true value of this trade is actually questionable - we definitely aren't WINNING, but time would tell if we actually lost as well.
Adams, Pick 10 >> Pick 4, Pick 23
Pick 1 >> Pick 4 and Gilbert.

Dunno, plenty of options there, to trade for pick 1 (Boyd), Adams and 10 (for Parker) would be enough to give me a hell of a lot of confidence about our future.

If we weren't to trade at all, and just kept our top pick @ 4 or so, then I wouldn't be shattered, as the top handful as I've said before are all top graders from all reports.

Strength through Loyalty
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I personally am glad that Aish is not having a stellar carnival because it increases the chance he may slip to our pick. The kid is a ball magnet and all class. Perfect replacement for either Joey or Dal in years to come. He has not played all year due to injury yet SA had no issue with putting him straight in with no match practice and they are undefeated. what does that tell you about where they rate him.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Eastern wrote:The REAL story is with who we pick up with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th Round picks. It's the late "GEMS" that can fast track our move UP the ladder !!
I like your attitude.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I cant believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually going off Boyd. Sure, if we finish last I'll take him without a second thougt, but he is going to create a massive bidding war! I for one, would be happy to see White, Lee, Maister for another year with Sippo played in position before I give up so much for a gun FF who is dominating kids.

I think I'd prefer, if we traded for picks, to get our hands on #10, maybe with #22 and a player. Give me one of the top 3, ie Aish, then one of the next rung where there seems to be a heap of similarly placed talent for us to get our hands on. I feel those top few are guns, but the difference between say 5 & 12 wont be much...

Strength through Loyalty
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

As I have just posted on a similar thread, maybe we should concentrate our efforts on trading for Jonathon Paton instead of for the number one pick. The fact that he is recovering from knee surgery should lower his value. It would still take a good trade to get him. Say our first pick (it will be between 3 and 6 probably), and a good player or two for Paton and Pick 10 and 19.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:Josh Kelly having a big game and likely moving up the draft order and into that top 4 draft pick in the eyes of recruiters. Likely spoken about in that same group with Boyd, Aish and Sharenberg. IF we end up with a selection outside of that top 4 range (say 5-6) I would not be adverse to moving down the draft order to GWS's priority pick 10 if it included Taylor Adams coming our way. We know how much GWS recruiters love their early picks. I expect their priority is to keep Adams but if he were to force their hand than I see the above being a potential scenario. Not a lot of difference in this draft between pick 5 and 10. IF we have a pick inside the top 3-4 then keep that selection and disregard that potential trade.

Scenario for sh*ts and giggles:

Pick 5 for Taylor Adams and pick 10 (possibly an exchange of later picks involved)
Pick 10 for Crouch, Sheed, Billings, Dunstan - Insert any highly rated prospect

Potential we turn pick 5 into two fairly decent prospects. Of course this would have to include a player of Taylor Adams' potential.

Would be adverse to trading pick 10 for Parker? Adams and Parker for pick 5 would be massive!! Dreamin though

Strength through Loyalty
sasaint
Club Player

* BUMP * in to help push the troll posts back into history....

The AFL phantom form guide is now available http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-05/p ... form-guide

Jay Kennedy Harris has got to be a shoe in for our first pick. 173 cm. We definitely need more like that! :roll: Then again at least he can play midfield.

Patience young grasshopper