AFL Picks 1-20 Contenders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

savatage
SS Life Member

Re: AFL Picks 1-20 Contenders

Yep me too. One of the greatest of all time!!!

Chef with tourettes is the greatest season conclusion of all time. You carwash c**t!!!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Yep me too. One of the greatest of all time!!!

Chef with tourettes is the greatest season conclusion of all time. You carwash c**t!!!!

Love Curb.

wally
Club Player

Personally I'd pick a victorian over an interstater.Do you think these guys(Cripps,Ledger) do want to go home,or just want out
and combine the two

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The death and subsequent obituary of the "Great Aunt" aint bad either :P

savatage
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:

The death and subsequent obituary of the "Great Aunt" aint bad either :P
Much beloved.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Zed wrote:
Old Mate wrote:If you take Boyd from the equation there's a few similarities between Aish, Kelly and Sharenberg and the top three from the 2001 draft. Aish like Judd has had shoulder issues, Kelly like Ball a track star and maturity beyond his years and Sharenberg like Hodge extremely versatile.
I'm now of the opinion that Boyd is the clear #1, and that we are after a pure ball winning midfielder. So it sounds to me like either Aish or Kelly depending on what happens with pick 2.
Agreed. With Geelong keen as mustard on trying to get Kelly last year, I am pretty comfortable with him, I'm guessing a hard, gut running mid like Hill from Freo? If Melbourne go for Kelly, well then Aish is a pretty awesome consolation prize! Aish IMO looks like a Marc Murphy type, maybe those who know him will shed more light.

I really want another pick around 8-15 though, sooo many mids like Sheed, Salem, Bontempelli, Dumont, Freeman should be available around that pick who could actually turn out to be just as good IMO as any of them (obviously different types though).

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Kickit
Club Player

My preferences would be ( in order)
Boyd
Aish
Kelly
Scharenberg.

Only reason I wouldn't take Scharenberg earlier is that he'll start his career in the backline where we don't have too much space.
But there is a real chance Melbourne or GWS could want him.

lloyd21
Club Player

Hearing very strong mail that Melbourne want Josh Kelly in draft .

Looks like Saints will then decide between Aish or Sharenberg

Prefer the later but happy with either .

bennymac5
Club Player

If Melbourne take Kelly we would be mad to pass up Aish.

Kickit
Club Player

If ( massive If ) GWS took Scharenberg would Melbourne still be keen on Kelly?
With some handy tall forwards already at GWS, and Scharenberg likely to turn into a Goddard type player, they'd hardly be crazy to go down that path.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Kickit wrote:If ( massive If ) GWS took Scharenberg would Melbourne still be keen on Kelly?
With some handy tall forwards already at GWS, and Scharenberg likely to turn into a Goddard type player, they'd hardly be crazy to go down that path.

Well, Melbourne have Dawes, Clark, Hogan, Watts and Fitzpatrick... so would they need Boyd?!

The Saints are coming!
Kickit
Club Player

True Blue Sainter wrote:
Kickit wrote:If ( massive If ) GWS took Scharenberg would Melbourne still be keen on Kelly?

Well, Melbourne have Dawes, Clark, Hogan, Watts and Fitzpatrick... so would they need Boyd?!
That's what I was thinking, though I heard Watts telling people he is going to be a midfielder now :oops: ( note the embarrassed emoticon is for him ).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ill be very happy if we get either Scharenberg or Aish.
Very happy.

(If I was GWS id keep Patton and Cameron and pass on Boyd and go for Scharenberg - but Im not GWS)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Any one wants to know why I want Patton here is the ranking with Boyd, Daniher and Hogan. These guys will be the marquee players in 5 years and we should be trying to get one in case Spencer doesn't come on.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Any one wants to know why I want Patton here is the ranking with Boyd, Daniher and Hogan. These guys will be the marquee players in 5 years and we should be trying to get one in case Spencer doesn't come on.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-05/best-of-the-best

whoops forgot the link.

Andreous
Club Player

Megamaguire wrote:Well I'm assuming the club has been seriously looking, reviewing and looking again at Kelly; Aish and beyond.

I still cant help remembering St. Kilda choosing Ball and leaving Judd for West Coast. I understand the issue of Judd's shoulder reconstructions in the decision - making process but can appreciate the safety first approach in going for Ball. Of coarse i'm assuming they hadn't placed a perfectly fit Judd with no injury queries above Ball but maybe that's not the way it was.

So, what a conundrum.

G O S A I N T S !
My recollection was that Ball was supposed to be pick 1 and it was just that he had told clubs his first year drafted he was more focussed on complting his schooling than pushing for senior selection. As the hawks had prised pick 1 from Freo with an aim of winning next year's grand Final (remember just fell short in prelim) that they west for Hodge as ready made instead.

The phantom draft had us picking Judd at 2 and Hodge at 5. While no disrespect to Bally and X Man...Oh how sweet that would of been!!!!!! Maybe we would have been the premiership heavyweight rather than Geelong.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know where Josh Scott is expected to go in the draft he reminds me of that mid sized Ryan O'Keefe style forward and won the goal kicking and Morrish medal this year. Gippsland boy so won't be running off back home too.

suss
Club Player

Article in the Hun today has Kelly firming at pick 2. Arrarently he's blitzing the combine. That would leave us to choose between Aish and Sharenberg - sounds like a nice spot to be in.

There is of course still time for us to trade pick 3 for some magic beans.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Andreous wrote:My recollection was that Ball was supposed to be pick 1 and it was just that he had told clubs his first year drafted he was more focussed on complting his schooling than pushing for senior selection. As the hawks had prised pick 1 from Freo with an aim of winning next year's grand Final (remember just fell short in prelim) that they west for Hodge as ready made instead.

The phantom draft had us picking Judd at 2 and Hodge at 5. While no disrespect to Bally and X Man...Oh how sweet that would of been!!!!!! Maybe we would have been the premiership heavyweight rather than Geelong.

My recollection was with 1.freo 2.Saints 3.Westcoast 4.Freo 5.Saints

Was supposed to go 1. Polak , 2. Ball/Judd/Hodge ,3. Ball/judd/Hodge ,4. Sampi, 5. Ball/judd/Hodge

With Freo keen on key position players and home talent at that stage as they recently lost talent going home to victoria.

But they got there key position player Croad by giving the trade to Hawk who wanted a midfielder, don't forget Ball's speed and kicking penetration at Junior level was Elite by 1st year on the afl list and OP ruined the speed, and anther bout a few years later ruined the kicking.

btw where did the phantom draft have Bally going?

Gershwin
Club Player

Emma Quayle is saying that there are seven or eight standouts this year.
Tom Boyd is GWS-bound as the No.1 pick, Josh Kelly and Jack Billings are in the pick-two mix, and Kade Kolodjashnij (Tasmanian half-back flanker and wingman) looks a top-five pick.
One of the draft's classiest players is wingman James Aish and there is utility Matthew Scharenberg and Nathan Freeman, an explosive, bubbly midfielder.

Sounds like we could take any one of the 5 left after picks 1 and 2 and feel pretty happy.

summertime and the living is easy ........