We have lost our identity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: We have lost our identity

Sobraz wrote:Hawks played at Waverley for 2 decades before it became their home training base...

It was an already established football stronghold, that is easily accessible and accepted..

Seaford is an established s### hole and has never had anything to do with footy... Coming from my side of the city, it is also a bitch to get to...

This has no reflection on our on field performances, but IMO it does effect enthusiasm to have an involvement with the club on non match days/weekends..

I used to go to training 4/5 times a year. Have not been to Seaford once...
Why would you target an error that has everything to do with footy...makes no sense

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Hawks played at Waverley for 2 decades before it became their home training base...

It was an already established football stronghold, that is easily accessible and accepted..

Seaford is an established s### hole and has never had anything to do with footy... Coming from my side of the city, it is also a bitch to get to...

This has no reflection on our on field performances, but IMO it does effect enthusiasm to have an involvement with the club on non match days/weekends..

Hawthorn played their home games there from 1992 so it was 8 years and then there was another 7 year gap before they made it their training venue. Hardly a real home base. It has no transport and no parking. It is in the middle on nowhere. Its a housing estate. And was hated area for footy by a hell of a lot of people. I wasnt one by the way.

And i went to training probably 20 times a year and have never been to training at Seaford. makes no difference at to my support of the saints. What does make a difference is we are struggling and that is the real problem, not the location of a training base.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have been to Seaford and our oval looks no better than the one my kids play on. It looks like it would be great for the local Seaford footy club. The junction Oval is a great geographic spot as it close to everything and allows players from the peninsula or any other inner city club to attend. It is also central to public transport.

Frankston would be fine if we trained and played in summer and they could hang out at the beach all day but there isn't much down there during cold winters.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gringo, they are there to do a job, which they get well paid to do? I don't think it needs to be comfortable or nice, it needs to be operational.

Manchester (Salford) is a dim place in the winter I can attest, but Man U seem to do alright....

Kickit
Club Player

I'd love to hear an objective argument for why Seaford is more of a shithole than Moorabbin, or your side of the city for that matter.

spert
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gringo, they are there to do a job, which they get well paid to do? I don't think it needs to be comfortable or nice, it needs to be operational.

Manchester (Salford) is a dim place in the winter I can attest, but Man U seem to do alright....
I guess if there's a lot of money pouring into Man U, those gloomy Manchester winters can have a bright side..

Kickit
Club Player

gringo wrote:I have been to Seaford and our oval looks no better than the one my kids play on. It looks like it would be great for the local Seaford footy club. The junction Oval is a great geographic spot as it close to everything and allows players from the peninsula or any other inner city club to attend. It is also central to public transport.

Frankston would be fine if we trained and played in summer and they could hang out at the beach all day but there isn't much down there during cold winters.
The difference would be the surface, you can see it under construction on Google street.
Of course if looks are more important for the players........

I do like the Junction Oval idea though and its a bit surprising that it wasn't considered when Moorabbin became untenable.

The Saints moved away from Junction Oval when it was no longer suitable for VFL games, but you'd think they would have been able to have a training facility there.
It would be hard to come up with a good reason why StKilda football club shouldn't be located in StKilda.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Gringo, they are there to do a job, which they get well paid to do? I don't think it needs to be comfortable or nice, it needs to be operational.

To me there is a vibe when you go into a footy club. When I went to Moorabin it was like a buzzing congested tribal conference. Waverley was like a poorly planned communist public building but had aged into a kind of quaint old school Aussie s*** box.

My family followed Carlton and I was dragged into Princess park plenty of times and the history and roots make it feel like a sacred space, we have a new tiny oval with a converted toilet block with a freeway on one side and s*** suburban housing around it. we have a glass cabinet with a couple of old hat pins and a single cup. We could at least feel rooted into history at JO it's got a really beautiful park around it and a classic stadium and just looks like hallowed turf. We could create a cultural identity which has evaporated.

St kilda has lost the whole area of moorabin and Cheltenham etc. because people are more transient these days. we could brand ourselves much easier at our name suburb. St kilda the suburb is cool because it's edgy and vibrant and a little dangerous. People know it from all over the world like the Cross in Sydney.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I have been to Seaford and our oval looks no better than the one my kids play on. It looks like it would be great for the local Seaford footy club. The junction Oval is a great geographic spot as it close to everything and allows players from the peninsula or any other inner city club to attend. It is also central to public transport.

The ground is a great ground. Forget the Junction. It is home of CV and has nothing at all to do with the saints in the last 50 years.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone ever question this whole bayside model didn't consider that these converts may be too far from the city to attend home games in mass numbers.

Yes people do. And so may your friends.

But converting, tapping into a supporter relatively close to the South/East suburbs will no doubt have a better proportion of those who attend. Attendance leads to more support. Financially.

PJ
SS Life Member

I'm sure we'll find it. It can't have gone too far.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

We're at seaford cos the council gave us money to help with the build .
We got nothing but grief out of kingston council .

If some of our rich supporters coughed up a bit of money then maybe we could have the best facilities in the land .
Most of our older players have houses not far from moorabbin , as time passes more of the younger players will buy houses down seafood way and the whole issue around its location will pass .

In red white and black from 73
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Has anyone ever question this whole bayside model didn't consider that these converts may be too far from the city to attend home games in mass numbers.

But converting, tapping into a supporter relatively close to the South/East suburbs will no doubt have a better proportion of those who attend. Attendance leads to more support. Financially.
Cats fans come on mass to the G when they play there.

I don't agree, for one....no effort has been made to establish if this is the case, because heave not really tried to connect IMHO

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:Has anyone ever question this whole bayside model didn't consider that these converts may be too far from the city to attend home games in mass numbers.

Cats fans come on mass to the G when they play there.

I don't agree, for one....no effort has been made to establish if this is the case, because heave not really tried to connect IMHO

Not every week.

And maybe we could get the numbers out but Geelong >>> Peninsula

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

City of Barwon about 285K, combined Mornington Peninsula and city of Frankston is 280K

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:City of Barwon about 285K, combined Mornington Peninsula and city of Frankston is 280K
At a guess, 90% of people from Geelong barrack for Geelong…

What percentage of Frannkston would follow St Kilda - maybe 10?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SainterK wrote:City of Barwon about 285K, combined Mornington Peninsula and city of Frankston is 280K

That's my point, look at the scope for improvement...

We have 40K or so when things are travelling nicely, already, probably mainly from the tradional heartland.

Unlike the cats, we don't have to wait for a baby boom to up the numbers.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Behind Collingwood, I reckon StK would have the 2nd strongest following bayside and peninsula....

In percentage terms, of footy supporters, probably 15-20%
Melbourne, WB, North have little support down here imo

I reckon Geelong has about 50% of people in Geelong barracking for them, maybe a bit more?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
dragit wrote:

That's my point, look at the scope for improvement...

We have 40K or so when things are travelling nicely, already, probably mainly from the tradional heartland.

Unlike the cats, we don't have to wait for a baby boom to up the numbers.
The cats fans are born and bred, multiple generations…

Frankston would already have established families of all victorian clubs… I'm guessing Collingwood are already pretty big down there?

I don't live bayside and I'm guessing there are plenty of other members that don't too.

It would be interesting to see a heat map - bratty can you please fix that up for us ? :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We should give saints bibs/scarves or teddy bears to babies born at frankston hospital, with a discounted membership form.

Be active participants in all peninsula annual events and celebrations

Dylan Roberton should become a frankston poster boy, good looking young guy who grew up there.

None of this would be costly or difficult.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin would really be the best bet for the club to end up again- probably best for membership, business and general exposure, and the closest thing we have to a heritage?? Frankston would be a dead loss.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The big issue is our administration.

Fortunately that clown Netters has gone as well as Ghostaway.

That's a huge positive. Can't go worse than that combo

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:We should give saints bibs/scarves or teddy bears to babies born at frankston hospital, with a discounted membership form.

Dylan Roberton should become a frankston poster boy, good looking young guy who grew up there.

You have some great ideas and genuine passion K.

You should try to get a job at the club.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The players playing the game would refuse to do that....

On game day, their focus is preparing to play... Not mixing with fans
Yeah, wont happen. Good to think outside the square though, but I can't see such a valuable asset on a Frankston line train!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:We should give saints bibs/scarves or teddy bears to babies born at frankston hospital, with a discounted membership form.

It just isn't easy to covert areas these days. When I was young you would go down Charman road from Chelthenham to Beaumaris or South Road and every council sign would have a stick figure saint and the businesses all had our colours or flags. It not the same these days.