Billy Longer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billy Longer

Geez I hope this isn't the case. Hickey, like McEvoy, needs to be the number one ruckman. Except he'd probably be surpassed by Longer in 2 years time and then we'd once again be stuck with two expensive full-time rucks in the team, while massively reducing Stanley's value as he wouldn't be able to play his second ruck/forward role. It also makes Pierce/Holmes pretty much redundant.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

What pick would we give up for Longer.....17.....21? Still leaves us with 3 and either 17 or 21. Pick up two midfielders with those picks. You would think that one of them would work out. Of course, the big question is, has Longer shown that he is a better long term prospect that McEvoy? If not, then the exercise would be almost ridiculous. I haven't seen Longer play. I'd like to get people's opinion of his ability. If he's a future star, then all is okay. Staight swap Longer for McEvoy plus the Savage steak knives thrown in. No loss in that outcome.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Could possibly be the dumbest move ever by the Saints. Surely it wont happen. I really hope to get more small forwards and more ruckman and just forget about mids. be on the bottom for 5 years and then fold. lets be honest this cannot happen. It makes no sense at all.

Im hoping this is a pisstake. Longer would be a great get.

How? Where does he play? Arent we then in exactly the same position as this year with 2 ruckman and neither were very good forward. Longer is actually worse forward than Ben. It makes not one bit of sense. Im happy for you to tell me where he plays. Also if we get Longer why the hell would we also get Jolly? In case people dont realise the more players from others club you get the less draft positions we have. There is not unlimited drafting. It cannot happen or i will microwave BM membership.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Longer and Hickey again would provide us with two first choice rucks going forward. If Pierce developes whos to say we cant trade a prime age Hickey in two seasons for a first round pick and player that we want.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:What pick would we give up for Longer.....17.....21? Still leaves us with 3 and either 17 or 21. Pick up two midfielders with those picks. You would think that one of them would work out. Of course, the big question is, has Longer shown that he is a better long term prospect that McEvoy? If not, then the exercise would be almost ridiculous. I haven't seen Longer play. I'd like to get people's opinion of his ability. If he's a future star, then all is okay. Staight swap Longer for McEvoy plus the Savage steak knives thrown in. No loss in that outcome.
he's the complete opposite of McEvoy, comes from a basketball background and is super quick and agile. Got a great leap, he would be a good get. It will give us more flexibility as he could move forward and prove a dangerous target

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Longer and Hickey again would provide us with two first choice rucks going forward. If Pierce developes whos to say we cant trade a prime age Hickey in two seasons for a first round pick and player that we want.

Where do they play next season Curly? And now we are getting players so we can trade out another player in a year or two. s*** we find it hard enough to get good players anyway and now we are trying to do that.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
How? Where does he play? Arent we then in exactly the same position as this year with 2 ruckman and neither were very good forward.
So Shane Savage is nothing?
plugger66 wrote: Longer is actually worse forward than Ben. It makes not one bit of sense.
But is he worse than nothing because we dont have Ben, we have Savage plus two first round picks
plugger66 wrote:Im happy for you to tell me where he plays.
Isn't he a ruckman?
plugger66 wrote:Also if we get Longer why the hell would we also get Jolly?
Backup/mentor to our stack of young rucks i.e. Hickey, Pierce, Longer, Holmes, and Stanley?
plugger66 wrote: In case people dont realise the more players from others club you get the less draft positions we have.
I dotn understand what you mean. Do you mean list numbers therefore limited draft picks, or do you mean the more you trade the less you are allowed under some spurious AFL rule?
plugger66 wrote:There is not unlimited drafting. It cannot happen or i will microwave BM membership.
But you have told us on numerous times youa ren't even a member, and I am doubting BM would ever let you into his little exclusive club.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Longer and Hickey again would provide us with two first choice rucks going forward. If Pierce developes whos to say we cant trade a prime age Hickey in two seasons for a first round pick and player that we want.

Where do they play next season Curly? And now we are getting players so we can trade out another player in a year or two. s*** we find it hard enough to get good players anyway and now we are trying to do that.

Why cant he play forward ruck? Apparently he is a good forward also. Will Pierce be any good? What if Hickey falls over? If Longer comes Jolly doesnt clearly.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saint6709
Club Player

Agree - get longer and a good ruck coach - jolly can watch it on telly

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If I was Longer I would be Jolly.

Very jolly!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
How? Where does he play? Arent we then in exactly the same position as this year with 2 ruckman and neither were very good forward.
So Shane Savage is nothing?
plugger66 wrote: Longer is actually worse forward than Ben. It makes not one bit of sense.
But is he worse than nothing because we dont have Ben, we have Savage plus two first round picks
plugger66 wrote:Im happy for you to tell me where he plays.
Isn't he a ruckman?
plugger66 wrote:Also if we get Longer why the hell would we also get Jolly?
Backup/mentor to our stack of young rucks i.e. Hickey, Pierce, Longer, Holmes, and Stanley?
plugger66 wrote: In case people dont realise the more players from others club you get the less draft positions we have.
I dotn understand what you mean. Do you mean list numbers therefore limited draft picks, or do you mean the more you trade the less you are allowed under some spurious AFL rule?
plugger66 wrote:There is not unlimited drafting. It cannot happen or i will microwave BM membership.
But you have told us on numerous times youa ren't even a member, and I am doubting BM would ever let you into his little exclusive club.

All impressive but Im unsure you answered any point i addressed. Firstly I am microwaving BM membership so whether im a member or not doesnt matter. Secondly Longer is a ruckman so you say he plays in the ruck. Hickey is a ruckman so he plays in the ruck. Are we the first side probably in history to play 2 ruckman in the ruck at the same time? Or do we gain fall for idea that one can rest forward which didnt work this year and as i say ben was a better forward than loner and Hickey. And where does Jolly play? And i would have thought the point about getting more players from other clubs was obvious especially since i said you dont get unlimited drafting. If these 2 picks were to happen then we would have Jolly, Longer, savage and it seems almost certain delaney and bruce and only losing Ben and probablt Dal. We also have upgrded Curren so I reackon that gives about 2 or 3 picks in the draft. We need more than that IMO.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: All impressive but Im unsure you answered any point i addressed. Firstly I am microwaving BM membership so whether im a member or not doesnt matter.
But how did you get that membership? Fraud. Anyway the memberships are cardboard so wont Microwave
plugger66 wrote: Secondly Longer is a ruckman so you say he plays in the ruck. Hickey is a ruckman so he plays in the ruck.
That is correct on both counts
plugger66 wrote:Are we the first side probably in history to play 2 ruckman in the ruck at the same time?
I dont know what selection is next year for the first round. Maybe Hickey still needs to be developed over the next year and cant play in the ruck for 22 rounds. Maybe he gets injured, maybe he turns out to be a totally and absolute spud. Who rucks then?
plugger66 wrote: Or do we gain fall for idea that one can rest forward which didnt work this year and as i say ben was a better forward than loner and Hickey.
I haven't seen the first round team yet so i cant tell you, but very good question.
plugger66 wrote:And where does Jolly play?
Isn't he a ruckman?
plugger66 wrote: And i would have thought the point about getting more players from other clubs was obvious especially since i said you dont get unlimited drafting. If these 2 picks were to happen then we would have Jolly, Longer, savage and it seems almost certain delaney and bruce and only losing Ben and probablt Dal. We also have upgrded Curren so I reackon that gives about 2 or 3 picks in the draft. We need more than that IMO.
Why would we need more than three picks in the draft if we have picked up Longer, Savage, Bruce, Delaney? Especially if they are first rounders?

Somebody may also get traded yet (like Dal or Stanley) or could still be delisted so we can use the PSD, trading isn't over yet.

Still I bet BM is glad you are leaving his club, I dont think he likes you very much :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
jaxons
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Devilhead wrote:5 ruckmen on the list doesnt make sense - unless of course we are going to persevere with Stanley up forward or trade him
Not sure how you get 5 ruckman?
Pierce won't play next year and Stanley is not a ruckman.
Leaves Hickey, Longer and Jolly.
By the time Pierce is ready to play Jolly will have retired.
Jaxons ur a man in the know.
If we get longer then stanley is gone surely ?

I disagree on one point. Stanley is a ruckman or nothing.
Hes definitely not a fwd or back.
Cant kick a goal at VFL level so not sure how hes going to kick any at AFL.
If we get pick 14 for him ill be rapt.

So whats that so far ?

3 14 18 Longer Savage
Hi Mr Gorozidis...Love the name!
Stanley will not be going.
By the way we have 3, 17, and 18....not sure where you got 14 from.
We traded McEvoy for Hawthorn's first pick (currently 17) and their buddy compensation pick (likely 18) and gave them back pick 21.
Also we upgraded pick 55 to pick 49.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: All impressive but Im unsure you answered any point i addressed. Firstly I am microwaving BM membership so whether im a member or not doesnt matter.
But how did you get that membership? Fraud. Anyway the memberships are cardboard so wont Microwave
plugger66 wrote: Secondly Longer is a ruckman so you say he plays in the ruck. Hickey is a ruckman so he plays in the ruck.
That is correct on both counts
plugger66 wrote:Are we the first side probably in history to play 2 ruckman in the ruck at the same time?
I dont know what selection is next year for the first round. Maybe Hickey still needs to be developed over the next year and cant play in the ruck for 22 rounds. Maybe he gets injured, maybe he turns out to be a totally and absolute spud. Who rucks then?
plugger66 wrote: Or do we gain fall for idea that one can rest forward which didnt work this year and as i say ben was a better forward than loner and Hickey.
I haven't seen the first round team yet so i cant tell you, but very good question.
plugger66 wrote:And where does Jolly play?
Isn't he a ruckman?
plugger66 wrote: And i would have thought the point about getting more players from other clubs was obvious especially since i said you dont get unlimited drafting. If these 2 picks were to happen then we would have Jolly, Longer, savage and it seems almost certain delaney and bruce and only losing Ben and probablt Dal. We also have upgrded Curren so I reackon that gives about 2 or 3 picks in the draft. We need more than that IMO.
Why would we need more than three picks in the draft if we have picked up Longer, Savage, Bruce, Delaney? Especially if they are first rounders?

Somebody may also get traded yet (like Dal or Stanley) or could still be delisted so we can use the PSD, trading isn't over yet.

Still I bet BM is glad you are leaving his club, I dont think he likes you very much :D

Again impressive but im not leaving the club, BM is and arent our memberships plastic. Mine is anyway but im an AFL member so it maybe different. And yes i understand your point about picking up players os why do we need more than 2 or 3 picks anyway. well IMO the game now revolves aroung the midfield and I only see one mid amongst that group and he hasnt even played mid full time in his 4 footy seasons. as for all your other points yes they are all ruckman and can all play in the ruck and we dont know if they are all good enough but mabe both Longer and Hickey arent good enough so maybe lets get another one or two just in case. What if they are good enough but as it looks both are only ruckman. Do we trade out again but again get anoth ruckman just in case? is it a revolving door of ruckmen? And yes i know the sidees havent been picked for round one yet but does that mean we cant get positions where they play now. it will be pretty boring when we draft players. we wont be able to say where they fit into the side. Anyway thanks for your answers. Hope Curly can show me the forward line for next season. he may not feel like he has to wait until the day before round one to answer.

Just one question. Are you happy to get both Jolly and Longer?

sax
Club Player

"Also we upgraded pick 55 to pick 49"

How? 49 is Sydney's!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
jaxons
Club Player

Sorry sax, 55 to 52!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:If I was Longer I would be Jolly.

Very jolly!
Longer, stronger, donga..8-)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Longer is a massive upgrade on McEvoy. He's a much more agile big man, a natural tap ruckman and has a lot more scope to play as a forward. He's also 4 years younger and will be in an ideal age bracket when we play finals again.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: yes i understand your point about picking up players os why do we need more than 2 or 3 picks anyway. well IMO the game now revolves aroung the midfield and I only see one mid amongst that group and he hasnt even played mid full time in his 4 footy seasons
ATM we have NDS, Montagna, Lenny, Steven, and Armo as our core mids, with others running through the mids.

We have picked up Savage and and the club have stated they will pick up mids in the draft.

So if this all comes true
Savage (mid)
#3 (elite mid)
#17 (1st round mid)
#18(1st round mid
Delaney (FB)
Bruce (backman)
Longer (ruck)
Jolly (hack)

I can see four mids in there, one who play 15 games for the premiers, three that will be (hopefully) regular seniors players.
plugger66 wrote:Just one question. Are you happy to get both Jolly and Longer?
Will tell you in two or three years

Lance or James??

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66, when it's all said and done, we potentially swap McEvoy for Savage and Longer plus upgrade our 2nd rounder to an end of first round pick. Sounds good to me.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

There are plenty of mids they dominate the game by weight of numbers....big men and talented big men in particular are much harder to find. I for one hope we get longer and Bruce then use all our picks in the draft on mids - surely that is a good draft / trade period.

#1 Ryder fan
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
We traded McEvoy for Hawthorn's first pick (currently 17) and their buddy compensation pick (likely 18) and gave them back pick 21.
I got 14 from stanley to port.
Wont the draft numbers go back one post thomas compo ?
Also i assume we have to give up a pick for longer ?
Or is a player going to brisbane instead ?
Im still unsure what stanley jolly longer and hickey are going to all do.
Rhys as a kpp is pure fantasy imho.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Longer is a massive upgrade on McEvoy. He's a much more agile big man, a natural tap ruckman and has a lot more scope to play as a forward. He's also 4 years younger and will be in an ideal age bracket when we play finals again.

Is that based on anything at all. Ben till midway through this season was having a very good year. Longer has played 9 games in 2 years. I fail to see the upgrade unless its because we havent got Ben anymore and Longer may come to us. If it was the other way around people would find many reasons why ben was a massive upgrade to us. Anyway it seems most are missing the point. i have no idea who is better out of ben and Longer in the long run. i do know ben is better now, but my point is how the hell do both ruckmen play in the same team. it was funny when we lost Ben people said thats good now hickey can be our first ruckman and we dont need to rest one forward. now that seems to have changed because of the slight chance of getting Longer. And you say he has more scope to play forward. is that based on never kicking a goal and only one point in 9 games?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
jaxons wrote:
I got 14 from stanley to port.
Wont the draft numbers go back one post thomas compo ?
Also i assume we have to give up a pick for longer ?
Or is a player going to brisbane instead ?
Im still unsure what stanley jolly longer and hickey are going to all do.
Rhys as a kpp is pure fantasy imho.

I have no idea if stanley is going to Port Con but he is probably a third rounder if he is or at the very best a second rounder.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:And you say he has more scope to play forward. is that based on never kicking a goal and only one point in 9 games?
So what you are saying is that he can only get better up forward :D

Lance or James??