Reports saints will sign Jolly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Reports saints will sign Jolly

Jolly was NEVER an elite Ruckman..... A good Ruckman... Maybe

Sandilands, Cox.... Elite.... Best and Fairests, All Australians, big numbers....

You don't become elite for playing in good teams.... Greg Dear was not elite

Jolly... No Ego... He drips of of it, heard him speak?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Btw

We delisted king and Gardiner atJolly's age....

Richter
SS Life Member

Enrico_Misso wrote:NO to Jolly.

By all reports Jolly is a prick of a bloke.
His comments in the media at the start of this season were very ill considered and drove a wedge between his teammates.
Don't want his type at StKilda thanks.
What reports are these?

Here's one which gives a completely different perspective on this bloke...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinio ... 6703433237
POST-natal depression is a condition usually associated with women.
But as AFL player Darren Jolly reveals in today's Sunday Herald Sun, it can also have a great impact on men.

Jolly has bravely told of the effect his wife Deanne's post-natal depression had on his family when he was living in Sydney.

To the outside world, Jolly was the star ruckman in the successful Swans team.

So few could fathom why he wanted to walk out on the club mid-contract and move to Collingwood.

The truth was that the father-of-two knew he needed to bring his family home to Melbourne so they could be closer to the support of family and friends.

Jolly is now the public face of How is Dad Going?, a support group helping men cope with post-natal depression.

The Post and Antenatal Depression Association has also established a hotline for dads to call if they think they need help.

As social worker Tim O'Leary says, fathers can often be under great stress trying to balance the pressures of their careers and family life.

Jolly has a simple message for dads who might be going through what he has experienced; Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Jolly should be congratulated for having the courage to speak out. Fathers doing it tough should take his advice.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Richter
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:He has a huge Ego which is why he's walked on three clubs...
Ok, I'm calling this one as a bare-faced lie.

As from my post above. The reason he moved from Sydney back to Melbourne is that his wife was suffering from pnd and they wanted to be close to her family.

You should really get your facts straight before defaming someone's character.

:roll: :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
BigMart wrote:He has a huge Ego which is why he's walked on three clubs...
Ok, I'm calling this one as a bare-faced lie.

As from my post above. The reason he moved from Sydney back to Melbourne is that his wife was suffering from pnd and they wanted to be close to her family.

You should really get your facts straight before defaming someone's character.

:roll: :roll:
\

correct...you are off the boil on this one bm....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I posted this in the last long thread on this same topic, but if you want to make your own assessment, here's a link to his pieces in the Age.

To be honest, I think the reporting of what he was said to have written was way more controversial than what he actually wrote. And frankly, his honesty was a refreshing change to the media-speak most of the players are bound by (with apologies to supporters of Neale Daniher and Josh Fraser).

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/by/Darren-Jolly

I've never met him, have no clue what he is like in person, but I wouldn't hang him based on these offerings.

Always loyal
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I lie that he has a huge ego? Guys a massive flog... Well known...

I get used to this? Lovett was defended unanimously when I criticised his recruiting? Until of course he was sacked.... Then it was OK?

Should I wait until we don't pick him?!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I lie that he has a huge ego? Guys a massive flog... Well known...

I get used to this? Lovett was defended unanimously when I criticised his recruiting? Until of course he was sacked.... Then it was OK?

But you told a lie why he left the clubs? And can you tell us how nice all our current players are? I wouldnt get him because i dont think we need another ruckman but not because he has a huge ego which Im not 100% sure is true anyway afterall you did tell a lie as to why he left all 3 clubs.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Jolly was NEVER an elite Ruckman..... A good Ruckman... Maybe

Sandilands, Cox.... Elite.... Best and Fairests, All Australians, big numbers....

You don't become elite for playing in good teams.... Greg Dear was not elite

Jolly... No Ego... He drips of of it, heard him speak?
One fact I know is 100% correct is that he's a premiership Ruckman. Smashed us in the 2010 replay. Does that mean anything? Effed if I know.

Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
I get used to this? Lovett was defended unanimously when I criticised his recruiting!
Unanimously? I remember a few that were dead against it.

I thought it was worth the punt at the time. But there were certainly a number of forumites against it besides yourself.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Quite laughable actually - this claim from BM that he is a known egotist :lol:

When I think of egotist/troublemaker I think of Jason Akermanis. Yep Jolly certainly in that category :roll:

He sure has a history of causing trouble at clubs. I mean he wrote two articles that upset a few people and then stopped when he was told to. What a rebel rouser.

I get that ppl wouldn't want an aging ruckman at the club with two younger rucks recently recruited. I disagree but I understand. What I don't understand is ppl (Big Mart) just making up crap about ppl to suit their arguments. He's been caught out in a lie re how Jolly left the Swans, and sadly has lost any credibility in this thread at the least.

For the record - plenty of ppl objected to the saints recruiting Lovett (me included). Read the threads again.

St Loxton
Club Player

I say NO to Jolly, as a player, as ruck coach, for sure

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't have him.... Why couldn't he be 'a ruck coach/back up mentor' at the pies?

Is that what we want him to be?

What do you reckon was the reason is, that he is no longer at Collingwood? They have Grundy (a 19yo and??) but didn't want Jolly or he didn't want them... Why? Have a think...

Why'd he leave Melbourne?

For the record
Before he was sacked

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

If it was a choice between Jolley and Weller, I know which one I would chose.

Have really gone off the idea of Jolley, not because of ignorant judgemental reasons like ego or "ordinary bloke" or whatever other labels small minded people put on him.

Its because we really dont need him.

Look we are gunna get flogged in the ruck next season. Seems the only reason to recruit Jolley would be to save Watters arse in some "winnable" games.

Just have to throw Hickey and Longer in at the deep end.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I hope we recruit him now... Purely to see the spin on it....

You'll change your view again.... You do it constantly...... You're opinions on any player, coach, commentator, supporter is based on one thing....

Must be pro StK ....
Or it's garbage

It's funny how every player is better at StK yet worse when they go?

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I lie that he has a huge ego? Guys a massive flog... Well known...

Your a flog BM.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
kalsaint
Club Player

Moods wrote:Well I'll go against the grain here - I reckon it's a great move if true. Our rucks are incredibly young and green. An old hand who is past his best but can help out wherever he is needed is exactly what we need. Not sure why we think playing two youngsters for the sake of it is suddenly going to turn them into superstars. Whilst I applaud the club for being bold re the recruitment of Longer at the expense of McEvoy, we need to maintain some sort of stability. If Jolly can play a handful of games when one or the other of the rucks in injured - then why not?
Totally agree here. They need to be developed more to meet the AFL level needed. Strength development is a key part of this or the midfield will only learn how to rove to opposition players. No disrespect to both Hickey or Longer but big fellas take some time to meet the longer term need of the ruck division.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
avid
Club Player

More than a handful of forumites here seem to get off on saying vile things about people they hardly know.
Raise the issue of character by all means. But this sort of certainty, and self-righteous ease of judgement, often says more about the source than the subject.
One thing Scott Watters does seem good at is sorting out issues of character in the guys he's in charge of. So I think it unlikely that Jolley would be recruited as a ruck mentor if his 'character' was likely to have a distructive influence on the team.

I'm not unhappy with the Jolley idea, if it's going to work.
What I can't understand is how it would work numbers-wise.

When it was first mooted, McEvoy was gone, and we had the ruck division of 1st: Hickey, 2nd pinch: Stanley, 3rd some years away: Pierce. Oh, and Holmes
I liked the idea of backing Hickey and Stanley to the hilt -- with total faith, space and playing time -- throwing them in the deep end to sink or swim -- and hiring Jolley as a lifeguard.
Now we've got Longer too. Hickey and Longer will now be competing for 1st ruck playing time -- getting only half the playing time each, and half the responsibility under which to grow.
Maybe that's OK too. But where does Jolley fit in? He will surely keep at least one of Hickey or Longer to less than half his possible playing and learning time. And when will Stanley be thrown into the ruck at all??

I'm not saying the Brains Trust is wrong. I just don't understand it.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I don't want the club to pick up Jolly. If we do i'd like it to be on the rookie list. If we are planning on using him as pure injury cover and mostly as a ruck coach I see no need to spend a senior list spot on him. However if the club decides we need cover for Longer and Hickey, who will no doubt our first choice ruck combo, and they feel that Pierce and Holmes need to develop further, one more than the other, and that Stanley is better served as a forward/wingman then they know better than me.

Obviously they have done due diligence scouring the state leagues for experienced ruckmen and come up empty. I am always of the opinion that the club knows better than me when it comes to recruiting so ill support the decision if its made.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The funny thing is BM doesnt want to recruit Jolly because of this apparent huge ego which may or may not be true but even if it he has helped win 2 flags so he maybe entitled to an ego but he does want to recruit Weller who has also been suggested has a huge ego and he has no real right for one yet. He does know the family though and he comes from Tassie so ego doesnt matter in that case. I have an idea, lets recruit the players we need and who cares about their ego. How do we know if a few saints players have huge ego's. By the way Jolly left melbourne for money. Nothing to do with his ego but go with it if it makes the story better. i actually thought you said 3 clubs BM but when that was shot down you go back to melbourne which again isnt true.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I hope we recruit him now... Purely to see the spin on it....

You'll change your view again.... You do it constantly...... You're opinions on any player, coach, commentator, supporter is based on one thing....

Must be pro StK ....
Or it's garbage

It's funny how every player is better at StK yet worse when they go?

Who are you even referring to??? Nobody has a clue.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Richter
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:If it was a choice between Jolley and Weller, I know which one I would chose.

Have really gone off the idea of Jolley, not because of ignorant judgemental reasons like ego or "ordinary bloke" or whatever other labels small minded people put on him.

Its because we really dont need him.

Look we are gunna get flogged in the ruck next season. Seems the only reason to recruit Jolley would be to save Watters arse in some "winnable" games.

Just have to throw Hickey and Longer in at the deep end
Sensible post, but I respectfully disagree with the part I've italicised. I'm worried that we are relying in the ruck on 2 blokes who are still developing physically and in footy terms (Hickey, 23 next season; Longer, 21) with a ruck/forward who is inconsistent, but admittedly older nad getting more durable (Stanley, 23). Back-up is a 19yo, Pierce and an American rookie.

The worry is that they will get physically smashed by much bigger blokes which could hinder their development, confidence, or (and let's hope that I'm catastrophising) leave them at risk of injury. When I look at the midfield I see a number of older bodies (Lenny, CJ, Joey) alongside some mid-agers (Armo, Jack) to support some up and comers (Newnes, Ross, Murdoch, Saunders, 3 new draftees). I don't see that in the ruck.

bob__71
Club Player

I just think its funny that someone with as big an ego as 'look at me' BM thinks big egos are a bad thing :D

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We absolutely need a mature ruckman to support Hickey, Longer and Stanley. Too many talented young rucks have their careers derailed by being played too much, too soon. I think the club would rather have someone a bit younger than Jolly, but they'd consider the potential for him to help develop the kids as a bonus over picking a 'just competent' 27 year old ruck from the state leagues.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I'm more than happy to take Jolly as a rookie. Pay him his rookie wage plus some cash as a ruck coach (and if it comes under the cap, so be it...). He needs to be ok with just being back up though. Hickey and Longer (and Stanley for that matter) have had plenty of issues with their bodies, we would be remiss to not have a mature backup, considering Blake and Kosi are both gone, unless we're taking tanking to a new level....