Surely not the next best coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Surely not the next best coach

BigMart wrote:Kingsley....

Also untried, and I think we need a proven in our situation? We can't gamble again....

Has there been many situations where a low profile coach has succeeded from coming from within th organisation ...... Knights, Brittian were mistakes?
Longmire I think was transitioned well?
Kingsley may be an option at least he will know what not to do ! He has worked under both RL & SW and seen there positives and down falls. I don't know much about the guy but if the club think he is ready then we have to back him in ! On the counter side I think Choco would have a far greater marketing appeal for the club !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Burkey 1
Club Player

Which paper said Williams wants $600+,.can anyone provide a link please.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon a known quantity is a better marketing move, and heaven knows we need to get some positive spin about St K happening..and quick!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Maybe they are sussing him out to be a snr assistant to Kingsley?
Not possible.

He is contracted as an assistant for next year, and would not be let go for only another assistant role.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Burkey 1 wrote:Which paper said Williams wants $600+,.can anyone provide a link please.
Well Watters was on $400K plus as a newbie coach, and so Williams would quite reasonably expect to be on more than Watters.

In addition one could add in that due to our instability at present that he would want and expect more than the minimum.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Mongrel.

And form. He's a premiership coach. He's a bit of a nutter. He has mongrel

#1 Ryder fan
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How will he know what 'not to do'?

He's ever been a senior coach....

SW after winning two WAFL premierships and being Ass Coach of an AFL premiership.... One would think he knew 'what to do'

You never know how someone will respond to th pressure of the situation

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Kingsley presents well, then again so did Watters. Doesn't mean he'd make it as a senior coach, but nor does it rule him out.

I'm with Big Mart on this. It's a gamble we can't afford and I hope we go with a known quantity in Choco.

But I don't know how dire our finances are

older saint
SS Life Member

Williams presents the first opportunity for the StKilda football club to recruit a premiership coach since I can remember( not sure if Jezza was captain coach in 1979?) if not ever!

That means $600+ is what it costs so be it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No to Kingsley

Disaster if true

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Number 5 wrote:Why aren't we talking to Worsforld? Surely he's the best available coach!
Left the Eagles to patch up his marriage woes

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

About time the AFL chipped in to help us out. Don't know why Melbourne, Bulldogs and Nth Melbourne should get handouts and not us.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Gurgman
Club Player

jamesmc wrote:
BigMart wrote:Does it evolve that much? Can people not evolve with it.....

Parkin 1978, 1995
Jeans 1966, 1989
Malthouse 1992, 2010
Matthews 1990, 2004
Kennedy coached 60's then mid 80's
Barassi 60's and mid 90s
Hird was out of the game with no experience
Roos 2005.... Out 2011 Melbourne 2014
Blight had a gap 94-97

Choco has been involved with the game every year since 2010, his last season as coach....
Clubs wanted those big names from the past. i don't think williams is in their class. not many clubs have been knocking on choco williams door over the last few years to become number 1 coach
Well how about you tell us why he wont be any good at our club , except for OLD SCHOOL

And i thought this was a forum
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:About time the AFL chipped in to help us out. Don't know why Melbourne, Bulldogs and Nth Melbourne should get handouts and not us.
It's because we've been recently successful and it doesn't suit Demetriou's soviet agenda

saintjunction

bigcarl wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:About time the AFL chipped in to help us out. Don't know why Melbourne, Bulldogs and Nth Melbourne should get handouts and not us.
It's because we've been recently successful and it doesn't suit Demetriou's soviet agenda
There is no conspiracy to from the AFL to keep us down. We are being dealt a decent hand with respect to so called "handouts" already.

http://www.worldofwookie.com/aflbusiness/?page_id=1411

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

Myth.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintjunction wrote: There is no conspiracy to from the AFL to keep us down. We are being dealt a decent hand with respect to so called "handouts" already.
It seems to me that Melbourne has been virtually guaranteed on-field success and financial stability, underwritten by the AFL. We have no such guarantee.

And don't get me started on the Swans and Buddy Franklin.

Or the joke of a fixture.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintjunction wrote: There is no conspiracy to from the AFL to keep us down. We are being dealt a decent hand with respect to so called "handouts" already.
It seems to me that Melbourne has been virtually guaranteed on-field success and financial stability, underwritten by the AFL. We have no such guarantee.

And don't get me started on the Swans and Buddy Franklin.

Or the joke of a fixture.

That table suggests you are wrong about melbourne. As for the fixture im still unsure how you fix 22 games into 18 sides and make it fair. Seems ok to me when we are a good side.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: That table suggests you are wrong about melbourne. As for the fixture im still unsure how you fix 22 games into 18 sides and make it fair. Seems ok to me when we are a good side.
Just to keep it on topic, do you reckon the fat dictator will underwrite us getting a proper coach like Williams. As they have done with Roos/Melbourne?

Or will we just have to get who we can afford?

jamesmc
Club Player

PJ wrote:If you're going to make a statement like "surely not the next best coach" then surely you must be an expert on the matter. Please regale the forum of your insight and list of replacements in preference with attributes.

....or surely you are kidding
Of course i'm not the expert as i assume you aren't. Hoping the coaching committee can come up with a few more ideas than just williams.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote: That table suggests you are wrong about melbourne. As for the fixture im still unsure how you fix 22 games into 18 sides and make it fair. Seems ok to me when we are a good side.
Just to keep it on topic, do you reckon the fat dictator will underwrite us getting a proper coach like Williams. As they have done with Roos/Melbourne?

Or will we just have to get who we can afford?

No idea but AFL didnt underwrite melbourne so i dont see why he would underwrite us. Also im sure i read on here many times the AFL only look after the big clubs but when they do look apparently look after the smaller clubs there is the what about us call. Dont worry if we need it they will also look after us as well.

PJ
SS Life Member

jamesmc wrote:
PJ wrote:If you're going to make a statement like "surely not the next best coach" then surely you must be an expert on the matter. Please regale the forum of your insight and list of replacements in preference with attributes.

Of course i'm not the expert as i assume you aren't. Hoping the coaching committee can come up with a few more ideas than just williams.
Why would you start a thread assuming they aren't?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
jamesmc
Club Player

PJ wrote:
jamesmc wrote:

Why would you start a thread assuming they aren't?
i didn't

PJ
SS Life Member

Jamesmc your initial post implies he is not a good coach - I don't think you have any knowledge one way or the other (neither do I). You also have no understanding of what is going on in the process so why assume the people in charge aren't making the right choices or interviewing the right people.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

http://www.worldofwookie.com/aflbusiness/?page_id=1411
A much more interesting table would be total profit/loss from scheduled home games...

The above figure supposedly includes "amounts for ground buyout agreements".

The biggest concern for all poor Etihad clubs is shelling out for nearly every home game instead of making money. This stadium deal is 100% the AFL's doing.

Melbourne don't even face this obstacle yet still need millions to keep afloat.