Good kids on our list now are...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good kids on our list now are...

St Ick wrote:
Old Mate wrote:GWS have that many top picks the opportunity may never be there for some to build an AFL career. Careers may be ruined due to this model created by Vlad.
This is a fantastic comment which got overlooked. I see Kelly being a similar player to others on the list such as Scully and Whitfield, his career could actually be ruined by already having similar types, alternatively he could look to move elsewhere in a year or two, like Tyson did. Why would the want McCarthy? With Boyd, Patton and Cameron, not to mention Thomlinson, Jacksh etc

The talls on their list are crazy, and they just added three more key position players, they also fought tooth and nail to keep Bruce. Players will see the writing on the wall, and we've got to pounce when they do.
It wouldn't take much for Kelly to surpass Scully, GWS don't get a lot of bang for their buck where Scully is concerned.

I think Kelly will get plenty of opportunity at the land of the GIANTS...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I don't think there can be any doubt, reading the OP, that we have a strong crop of kids with the potential to become elite. Anyone who feels the need to sink the boots in to this list of kids with glee is not a st.kilda supporter.

Yes, GWS and Gold Coast have a strong crop of kids, too, but one thing they don't have that we do is a senior group of leaders who formed a successful core to a successful team team in the recent past whose experiences and teachings will be invaluable to the new kids and may well give them that competitive edge when it comes to finals, or GF's. Make no mistake, the value of a 32 yr old Nick riewoldt running around on GF day 2016, for eg. will be enourmous. Even the likes of Gilbo, Geary, those middle rung players with GF experience will aid the cause.

This is why our senior group of leaders is one of this clubs most valuable assets. It's all well and good to get excited by the kids but we'd be fools, with regards to the senior group, to "exit them out rather than exit them in."

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Will see how many gws and gc keep when all these stars become eligible for FA. Can't all be on the big bucks.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

You reduce your risk by selecting kids who are already physically capable. Look at Saunders, Murdoch, Wright. Obviously it doesn't apply in every case but I reckon there is a strategy in it.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Interesting thread topic, so thanks Mart. :)

Some detailed assessments which make sense to me.

Your cautionary reference to the latest two AFL plastic artificially inseminated love-kinder IMHO is also relevant... just forgot to cover your arse though. :wink:

I reckon you needed to address the issues those two are sure to face in keeping all their 'talent' happy and within the cap'. (Especially the Wogans..., locked away in their gated-community out in the westies, hours away from a decent surf beach or live band venue. :lol: )

For mine, I'm also a little concerned re how well the Skunks have been allowed to trade. Last year, gifts from the Dreamons, this year from the E-girls and the Swines! :shock:
Thank gawd we beat them to the dud, and to Spenc-arrrrrrh. :twisted:
Thank gawd they are coached by FIGJAM. :lol:

Oh, and go the mighty

Why? Because there's something those faux 'clubs' (we all know who they are...) and their dodgy-as oligarch owners... just don't understand...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
lloyd21
Club Player

Griggsy wrote:Will see how many gws and gc keep when all these stars become eligible for FA. Can't all be on the big bucks.

8-) agree can see the Pelican raiding GWS every year for period with their uncontracted players

Plowman out of contract next year perfect replacement for Fisher

Jaksch same out contract next year

Providing the club keeps not paying overs for players they offer long term contracts to these types going forward :D

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Just WHO says the list at GWS cited by you as "the best ever assembled" is going to actually DELIVER?
I'm saying it. The Giants list is beyond belief. They've got 20-25 players who are set for 200+ game careers.

The challenge for them will be negotiating free agency and holding onto the core, because too many will peak at the same time. They'll have to trade out some quality players; but, if they do it smartly, they'll be able to turn over a quality few players each year in exchange for good picks, thus enabling them to produce a production line of of talent which should ensure long-term competitiveness.

Not only that, but not club will be so well versed in the development of modern, young players some 10-20 years from now.

We're going to be competing when they will - but we're going to need to be extra smart and resourceful. We have to be absolutely razor-sharp in free agency, at trade week, in national drafts and rookie drafts.

If we can string together two more years of rock-solid list bolstering, on the back of a great trade/draft period this year, I'm confident we can bridge much of the gap to GWS and the Suns.

(And the grand final is played at the MCG, not in Sydney)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:I'd argue that Saunders is better than just a scrapper. He's a favourite of mine

Saunders is going to be a gun IMO. Might turn into the best of the lot.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I think it's worth everyone remembering, that we are still very much in development mode.

Although it looks bright on paper, it's not going to come to fruition for at least another 2 years.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Josh

The best of the lot? I think even he would laugh at that..... He is a Stevie Baker/Geary/Jones type player (no shame in that)

He goes as hard as he can, every contest, he runs really hard ...... His skill level is just not that great....

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BigMart wrote:Josh

The best of the lot? I think even he would laugh at that..... He is a Stevie Baker/Geary/Jones type player (no shame in that)

He goes as hard as he can, every contest, he runs really hard ...... His skill level is just not that great....
You could be right Mart, and 'best of the lot' is probably pushing it, but I really rate him.

Skills. I'm just going on a few passages of play, but I reckon his skills are pretty good... with no disrespect, better than the three listed above.

He's quick, can take a mark overhead, can drill a pass onto the skipper's chest (which is always a smart move, especially by a new bloke :lol:)..., just needs to settle into the pace of the game I reckon. I recall quite a few times where he tore through a pack but just failed to either grab it cleanly, or if so, to get away cleanly. He also missed several goal opportunities that he created for himself by seeming (to me) to rush. In that respect he reminds me of an early Luke Ball (remember him? :( ) or an early Dud. Same thing happening, but one could just see it.. a few more games, a bit more experience, and it would all gel... and it did.

Early days, but I reckon Josh S will be damn good. We'll see...

PS: I really, really like how we are recruiting hard-at-it onballers who like to go and win their own footy. Tough, hard man-on-man finals footy...
we'll be back playing that in a few seasons...
and they'll be in their element... and loving it! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

BigMart wrote:We are starting to assemble plenty

22 Tom Hickey.... Not so sure, but improved in 2013
21 Arryn Sippos.... Plenty in 2012
20 Seb Ross.... Signs in 2013
22 Tom Lee .... Showed a bit in 2013
21 Daniel Markworth.... Sign at Sandy in 2012
20 Jack Newnes .... Showed plenty
22 Dylan Roberton .... Excellent 2013
19 Spencer White .... Some teasing at Sandy
20 Jimmy Webster ... Impressive in 2013
19 Brodie Murdoch.... Signs in 2013
19 Nath Wright..... Super impressive
19 Josh Saunders .... Scrapper
20 Darren Minchington.... Likely
19 Lewis Pierce ..... 202cm
21 Tom Curran ...... Worker
22 Shane Savage .... 50 gamer
20 Billy Longer ....... Top ten DP
21 Josh Bruce ....... Key Defender
18 Jack Billings ..... Elite junior
18 Luke Dunstan ..... Blue Chip junior
18 Blake Acres ....... Looks a versatile talent

That's over 20 player under 23

There are lots of 187-190 cm players.... 3 Ruckman ..... A number of mids and KPPs

Just a pity GWS and GC have an arsenal of kids better than have ever been assembled.... Believe me
To call Saunders a scrapper given the form he showed last year as a first year player (in a very ordinary team) has to bring into question your assessment. He has speed, good use by foot and defensively one of the best kids we have had in a long time.

ace
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Just a pity GWS and GC have an arsenal of kids better than have ever been assembled.... Believe me
You can destroy an arsenal with a well placed bomb.
Even nuclear weapons won't stop what Demetriou has given GWS and GC.
They may be hiding in plain sight now but soon they will take over the world.

The only question is how many grand finals will they play off in before anyone from the rest of the competition gets a chance.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Greg T
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:Lot of people seem wary on Pelchen, but i think recruiting him is the best off field decision by this club in many years - hopefully only surpassed by Richardson.
Agree,been a massive turn around in this lat 12 months.
Can't be any dispute we are on the right track.
So far it's hats off to Pelchan,

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: You can destroy an arsenal with a well placed bomb.
Even nuclear weapons won't stop what Demetriou has given GWS and GC.
They may be hiding in plain sight now but soon they will take over the world.

The only question is how many grand finals will they play off in before anyone from the rest of the competition gets a chance.
Read a draft summary a couple of days ago that said GWS now have more than twenty high first round draft picks on their list. 20. Bloody hell.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

Oh, and go the mighty

Why? Because there's something those faux 'clubs' (we all know who they are...) and their dodgy-as oligarch owners... just don't understand...

May they never win anything. Arsene Wenger. One of my most detested people in world sport. Whinger. Arrogant. Can't stand the bloke.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

Oh, and go the mighty

May they never win anything. Arsene Wenger. One of my most detested people in world sport. Whinger. Arrogant. Can't stand the bloke.
At least he doesn't throw boots into players faces.

At least the fans still have a say in the running of his club.

At least his club holds the longest unbroken run of being in the top division of the competition.

At least you can read a coloured post Byron. :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

screw assnel :D
ill hold on to that 1980 fa cup forever

blah blah blah gws gws gws flags and prems too good in 5 years blah blah

half of em will want to go home
who the f*** wants to live in western sydney

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

The Saints experience is proof that you can have a great list and not win the flag.

We just need to make sure we're in the ballpark - then anything can happen on the day.
GWS or GC may be chokers.

Things are heading in the right direction for the Saints at the moment IMO.
Be interesting to see what happens in the rookie draft - more young guys or a top up?
Tippets name has been mentioned again...