Junction Oval on the brink of collapse

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Junction Oval on the brink of collapse

plugger66 wrote:Seriously i reckon we are more hope of going to the moon than ever having anything to do with the junction oval again. Its Seaford or Moorabbin. Not one person has convinced me it matters where you train.
and plugger66 also wrote:But why does it matter?
Hi Pluggs, it.matters.enormously(!)

Cricket Victoria not moving into the Junction Oval is our God-given (possibly) one-off chance to return home. We are talking the difference between continuing to struggle, and unlocking our potential to finally become the biggest club in Australia! :idea: :D 8-)

So yeah, it matters.

Think beyond just where we train.
Think where we play boutique (money spinning) home games.
Think returning to our home and the sense of history, of connectedness, of actually standing for and representing something (c/f risking ending-up an irrelevant nomad like Fitzroy allowed themselves to become. :cry: )
Think getting the social club up and running a la the Bowlo' and the SKANC.
Think reconnecting (even more) through the club's (already excellent) community work with the Sacred Heart Mission. (The Mission has a great name in the local, and wider, community. And St Kilda FC has a great name within The Mission. :idea: )
Think getting the RecLink Community Cup back to the Junction Oval. (The last one drew in over 26,000 people!!!)
Think the drawing power of that location... for fans, for international visitors, for players, for sponsors...
Think and dream big picture.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84563&p=1435387#p1435176

No other club has the opportunity that we have... to finally cash-in on the Melbs' coolest suburb. The suburb that gave birth to us. We must give this a shot!

Get in the best marketing and strategic planning people, put it together, and... make.it.happen.Saintas!!!

Seriously, how hard can it be too market a historic AFL club based in St Kilda(!)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Seriously i reckon we are more hope of going to the moon than ever having anything to do with the junction oval again. Its Seaford or Moorabbin. Not one person has convinced me it matters where you train.

Cricket Victoria not moving into the Junction Oval is our God-given (possibly) one-off chance to return home. We are talking the difference between continuing to struggle, and unlocking our potential to finally become the biggest club in Australia! :idea: :D 8-)

So yeah, it matters.

Think returning to our home and the sense of history, of connectedness, of actually standing for and representing something (c/f risking ending-up an irrelevant nomad like Fitzroy allowed themselves to become. :cry: )
Think reconnecting (even more) through the club's (already excellent) community work with the Sacred Heart Mission. (The Mission has a great name in the local, and wider, community. And St Kilda FC has a great name within The Mission. :idea: )
Think getting the RecLink Community Cup back to the Junction Oval. (The last one drew in over 26,000 people!!!)
Think the drawing power of that location... for fans, for international visitors, for players, for sponsors...

No other club has the opportunity that we have... to finally cash-in on the Melbs' coolest suburb. The suburb that gave birth to us. We must give this a shot!

Get in the best marketing and strategic planning people, put it together, and... make.it.happen.Saintas!!!

Seriously, how hard can it be too market a historic AFL club based in St Kilda(!)

Think you are talking crap. Sorry positive you are. Its rubbish. No one watches training, no one cares where you train and hardly anyone who lives in that area cares about the saints because they dont stay long enough. Luckily people at our club realise others who even suggest moving there are talking s***.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

From a marketing,media and sponsorship perspective of course it would matter ,if you were a large sponsor the Junction Oval would be a perfect fit for signage etc , thousands of cars/people go past each day,and I believe we would get people to quite a few training runs as Collingwood does,it's a dream but if done properly and with vision it would work , imagine the football club right in amongst it again,easier to attract players. ,boutique training facilities ,we must dream about these things because at the moment the club is in a " same old " situation , let's see what the 2018 vision brings , let's hope it has some imagination in it !

PADDLEPOP1000
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:From a marketing,media and sponsorship perspective of course it would matter ,if you were a large sponsor the Junction Oval would be a perfect fit for signage etc , thousands of cars/people go past each day,and I believe we would get people to quite a few training runs as Collingwood does,it's a dream but if done properly and with vision it would work , imagine the football club right in amongst it again,easier to attract players. ,boutique training facilities ,we must dream about these things because at the moment the club is in a " same old " situation , let's see what the 2018 vision brings , let's hope it has some imagination in it !

Collingwood are big now or would be just as big if they trained in morwell. How do you explain hawthorn and tell us the signidge at Arden Street. It wouldnt make any difference in attracting players. And boutique training facilities. We want big and great training facilities. Lets face i reckon no one at the club has considered the junction oval in the last 50 years. It was going to be Moorabbin, Franston and ended up being Seaford. The only possiblity is one day moving back to Moorabbin part or full time. By the way we arent missing out on sponsors because of Seaford, we are missing out because of off field crap and it seems ordinary administration. I reckon its important to dream but we need to dream about reality.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Have I missed something about Cricket Victoria and St.Kilda CC no longer being at Junction Oval?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:From a marketing,media and sponsorship perspective of course it would matter ,if you were a large sponsor the Junction Oval would be a perfect fit for signage etc , thousands of cars/people go past each day,and I believe we would get people to quite a few training runs as Collingwood does,it's a dream but if done properly and with vision it would work , imagine the football club right in amongst it again,easier to attract players. ,boutique training facilities ,we must dream about these things because at the moment the club is in a " same old " situation , let's see what the 2018 vision brings , let's hope it has some imagination in it !

Collingwood are big now or would be just as big if they trained in morwell. How do you explain hawthorn and tell us the signidge at Arden Street. It wouldnt make any difference in attracting players. And boutique training facilities. We want big and great training facilities. Lets face i reckon no one at the club has considered the junction oval in the last 50 years. It was going to be Moorabbin, Franston and ended up being Seaford. The only possiblity is one day moving back to Moorabbin part or full time. By the way we arent missing out on sponsors because of Seaford, we are missing out because of off field crap and it seems ordinary administration. I reckon its important to dream but we need to dream about reality.

I have been past Seaford and Moorabin in the last week and I can honestly say Moorabin is a million miles away from having a VFL game. They have pretty much the main buildings with the big stand and gaming, merch shop and then it's an open park with a set of goal posts. It's worse than the Kornang park where my kids play juniors as it looks third world. There is no seating,no fencing, no toilets no parking. just a long long way off. Even with it's old run down stands the Junction looks grand , imposing and full of heritage. It would be a hallowed hall like the English Premier league clubs full of history. It is massively high exposure, has the advantage of buying into a unique tourist area which help sell us to people that arrive from overseas. Think if Sydney had their own team in Bondi and people could watch them train. Merch would sell itself to tourists.

Seaford, what can I say. It looks like an Ammos club. If that was our grand concept I don't know why we bothered, we could have done better just moving in with Sandy.We need to stop being humble, create a winning narrative. We need to have a future vision, we have the best colours, we have a unique history that makes us quirky and could be a selling point like the suburb of St Kilda.

We might as well pack it in now than slowly fade away. Get assertive and move forward Saints.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

So yeah, it matters.

THINK. The $40-$50Mill that it would cost. Where is the money coming from? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I have been past Seaford and Moorabin in the last week and I can honestly say Moorabin is a million miles away from having a VFL game. They have pretty much the main buildings with the big stand and gaming, merch shop and then it's an open park with a set of goal posts. It's worse than the Kornang park where my kids play juniors as it looks third world. There is no seating,no fencing, no toilets no parking. just a long long way off. Even with it's old run down stands the Junction looks grand , imposing and full of heritage. It would be a hallowed hall like the English Premier league clubs full of history. It is massively high exposure, has the advantage of buying into a unique tourist area which help sell us to people that arrive from overseas. Think if Sydney had their own team in Bondi and people could watch them train. Merch would sell itself to tourists.

Seaford, what can I say. It looks like an Ammos club. If that was our grand concept I don't know why we bothered, we could have done better just moving in with Sandy.We need to stop being humble, create a winning narrative. We need to have a future vision, we have the best colours, we have a unique history that makes us quirky and could be a selling point like the suburb of St Kilda.

We might as well pack it in now than slowly fade away. Get assertive and move forward Saints.

You obviously havent been in the rooms at the Junction. Moorabbin have better rooms without having rooms. The junction ground is to small and there is no room to develop there and it isnt even on the clubs radar. Its a fantasy started by people on footy forum. A fantasy that makes no sense one because it will eventually the home of cricket IMO and two it has no relevance to our club at all now and 3 it would costs millions and millions of dollars to set it up and even then it is to small. Luckily the time we waste on here doesnt effect our club and luckily our club isnt wasting time on this fantasy. Still havent heard a genuine reason why it matters where we train. have heard jokes like we will attract better players and get better sponsors but those jokes dont make sense. I suppose jokes arent supposed to make sense.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
You obviously havent been in the rooms at the Junction. Moorabbin have better rooms without having rooms. The junction ground is to small and there is no room to develop there and it isnt even on the clubs radar. Its a fantasy started by people on footy forum. A fantasy that makes no sense one because it will eventually the home of cricket IMO and two it has no relevance to our club at all now and 3 it would costs millions and millions of dollars to set it up and even then it is to small. Luckily the time we waste on here doesnt effect our club and luckily our club isnt wasting time on this fantasy. Still havent heard a genuine reason why it matters where we train. have heard jokes like we will attract better players and get better sponsors but those jokes dont make sense. I suppose jokes arent supposed to make sense.

The rooms can be fixed up that's the point. Moorabin is now a public reserve with very little area to develop in. Even the fencing at the ground would now cost a bomb. There was plans to build in the old car park so that won't come back. It's in deep suburban streets unsuited to people street parking. It's very run down. Seaford is unable to be accessed by public transport but doesn't have parking, seating or facilities. It is unsuitable and has less scope for an upgrade than Moorabin or Junction. Junction is a promotional tool where the others represent inadequate planning and humble thinking. Part of being successful is acting successful and looking the part. If we want to be taken seriously you don't show up in thongs and a singlet. St kilda is from St Kilda and we would still be on the side of the peninsula which we could still maintain community programs and tie ins with. They will spend millions on Moorabin and outgrow that in two years. Junction would be ambitious but would be much more likely to get state and federal funding. Community hub with links to community groups, shared with local sporting clubs who could access the facilities. It makes more sense to me anyway.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The rooms can be fixed up that's the point. Moorabin is now a public reserve with very little area to develop in. Even the fencing at the ground would now cost a bomb. There was plans to build in the old car park so that won't come back. It's in deep suburban streets unsuited to people street parking. It's very run down. Seaford is unable to be accessed by public transport but doesn't have parking, seating or facilities. It is unsuitable and has less scope for an upgrade than Moorabin or Junction. Junction is a promotional tool where the others represent inadequate planning and humble thinking. Part of being successful is acting successful and looking the part. If we want to be taken seriously you don't show up in thongs and a singlet. St kilda is from St Kilda and we would still be on the side of the peninsula which we could still maintain community programs and tie ins with. They will spend millions on Moorabin and outgrow that in two years. Junction would be ambitious but would be much more likely to get state and federal funding. Community hub with links to community groups, shared with local sporting clubs who could access the facilities. It makes more sense to me anyway.

You do realise Moorabbin is being developed to have VFL footy there is 2015. Also i have never said we will or should go back to Moorabbin. What I did say is the only places the club will be at is either Seaford or Moorabbin. It will never be the Junction. And you do realise this topic was started because the cricket couldnt get the funding but you say an AFL which has already got funding at another site will get the funding at this site as well. Im sure the VCA would be impressed. lets face it, its fancyland stuff. And why do we need public transport or parking? No one watches training and the stand alone VFL club will eventually be at Moorabbin. By the way the junction oval is nightmare to park but luckily it doesnt effect the Saints.

citywest

I would love to see St Kilda back at the Junction oval, but sadly I don't think that will ever happen. What the Saints need to do is build a $20 million facility at Moorabbin. I can hear you all laughing but that is what is required. How and where that money comes from I have no idea. Ideally, in 10 years time we should be based at our $20 million facility in Moorabbin and our VFL team would be based in Seaford and be known as the Seaford Saints.

spert
Saintsational Legend

One thing for sure is that if we want to claw our way back up to compete with the top of the heap, then we wont do it tucked away down the back of a sleepy low-profile outer seaside suburb.

We have to be up where the "action" is so to speak- near media headquarters, near business and marketing hubs and near cashed-up dense population who can easily access our facility. The club will fall away unless we really get some heavy brand marketing under way and physically position the club under people's noses. Since the Seaford move, the club has dropped in media profile I feel.

It is time the club worked with the AFL, government and business to look at developing the Junction Oval into a first class sports facility and a new home for the Saints.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:I would love to see St Kilda back at the Junction oval, but sadly I don't think that will ever happen. What the Saints need to do is build a $20 million facility at Moorabbin. I can hear you all laughing but that is what is required. How and where that money comes from I have no idea. Ideally, in 10 years time we should be based at our $20 million facility in Moorabbin and our VFL team would be based in Seaford and be known as the Seaford Saints.

So you want to spend 20 million which we dont have on a ground but play our VFL side at another ground that isnt up to VFL standard and then name them some rubbish name that isnt even St Kilda. Sounds like about a 25 million dollar projest. yep should happen soon.

citywest

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:I would love to see St Kilda back at the Junction oval, but sadly I don't think that will ever happen. What the Saints need to do is build a $20 million facility at Moorabbin. I can hear you all laughing but that is what is required. How and where that money comes from I have no idea. Ideally, in 10 years time we should be based at our $20 million facility in Moorabbin and our VFL team would be based in Seaford and be known as the Seaford Saints.

So you want to spend 20 million which we dont have on a ground but play our VFL side at another ground that isnt up to VFL standard and then name them some rubbish name that isnt even St Kilda. Sounds like about a 25 million dollar projest. yep should happen soon.
I have a feeling you don't even know how to read plugger. The Seaford Saints idea is because I would have them based at Seaford :idea: You obviously misread or can't actually read and comprehend.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I have a feeling you don't even know how to read plugger. The Seaford Saints idea is because I would have them based at Seaford :idea: You obviously misread or can't actually read and comprehend.

I think you completely misread what I wrote. yes I know what you are saying but I am saying Seafors isnt up to VFL standard so money would have to spent there as well as your 20 million at Moorabbin and then you name them some crap name. We cant get one ground to work but you want to fix up 2 grounds. Now do you get what I am saying? If and its a huge we ever sent that sort of money on Moorabbin the AFL side would have to play there and they would be know as St Kilda.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I believe our standalone VFL team, proposed for 2016, will be known as St.Kilda (VFL). And you were doing so well in that post, citywest. The first part almost sounded logical. Then you had to go and spoil it all by reverting to type. Seaford Saints? Another little barb intended to infuriate REAL saints supporters.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
spert
Saintsational Legend

So we all agree- it's back to the Junction Oval

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:So we all agree- it's back to the Junction Oval

One vote from me.

Saint 58
Club Player

One vote from me

Forgetting the logistics and money of s moment it makes total sense
So surely it's worth investigating in very broad terms what would be involved and required
with all parties involved

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

If the Junction is too small then they could always extend it. That's what Richmond have done with the Punt Road oval.

If we are going to spend any money then you would think the Junction Oval may be a better bet (even though it would cost a LOT more). Think BIG Saints!

Basing the VFL side there would also be perfect. (I'm getting shivers up me spine). ;)

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Why don't we just take over the MCG?
It already has stands, public transport and parking.

It'd also be cheaper and easier than renovating the Junction.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Saint 58 wrote:One vote from me

Forgetting the logistics and money of s moment it makes total sense
So surely it's worth investigating in very broad terms what would be involved and required
with all parties involved
Trouble is that both the logistic issues and money problems are huge.

And we are close to broke.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Saint 58
Club Player

True
The club would have to get the big boys, (whoever they may be), to get the state & federal governments involved
There would have to be incentives & benefits for the public, etc
Massive task but I agree with the "think big" line of thinking

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure Collingwood or their supporters don't give a faaaark that there is no parking for the masses at the Westpac centre.

I'm sure they no longer pine for their old, outdated training, playing facilities, however, we are different because we are unsuccessful, we pine for anything, even as an excuse for the years we spend in shitdom.

get a grip.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:I'm sure Collingwood or their supporters don't give a faaaark that there is no parking for the masses at the Westpac centre.

I'm sure they no longer pine for their old, outdated training, playing facilities, however, we are different because we are unsuccessful, we pine for anything, even as an excuse for the years we spend in shitdom.

get a grip.
I don't pine for Christopher Pyne :lol: :lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!