CEO update

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: CEO update

Eastern wrote:If we are throwing names into the ring; Matt Finnis, CEO AFLPA !!
is he any good?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Eastern wrote:If we are throwing names into the ring; Matt Finnis, CEO AFLPA !!
is he any good?

Matt Finis will stay at AFLPA before he goes to the AFL me thinks.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

So he's still not finnised at the AFLPA

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have nfi but it seems like Pelchen is well and truly running the footy dept.
Seems like we need someone who can rally everyone together on the same page and also with real commercial acumen to negotiate stadium deals, sponsorship etc etc

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Demetriou could be available soon!

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I have nfi but it seems like Pelchen is well and truly running the footy dept.
Seems like we need someone who can rally everyone together on the same page and also with real commercial acumen to negotiate stadium deals, sponsorship etc etc
Ya think? :wink:

melton girl
Club Player

read somewhere that Nettlefold was being looked at for the Essendon CEO position

melton girl
Club Player

read somewhere that Nettlefold was being looked at for the Essendon CEO position

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Highly doubt it but given they have interviewed /asked about 20 name probably thrown in

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
fingers
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:Any top CEO would be taking a major pay cut to come to the Saints.

We will either have to poach someone from another sporting org. who is on similar money to what we currently pay, get someone with lesser experience who wants to raise their profile by being with an AFL club, or get someone who doesn't care about the cash and just loves the Saints.

Why?

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

fingers wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:Any top CEO would be taking a major pay cut to come to the Saints.

We will either have to poach someone from another sporting org. who is on similar money to what we currently pay, get someone with lesser experience who wants to raise their profile by being with an AFL club, or get someone who doesn't care about the cash and just loves the Saints.
Why?
As I said previously, I think for most "top" CEO's the Saints job would be a drop in pay.
Hence the next paragraph.

Which bit of what I wrote wasn't clear?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
fingers wrote:

Why?
As I said previously, I think for most "top" CEO's the Saints job would be a drop in pay.
Hence the next paragraph.

Which bit of what I wrote wasn't clear?
I understood what you wrote. I am wondering why you trhink that.

How much does the St Kilda CEO earn?

What does a "top" CEO earn?

Who would you consider a "top" CEO and why?

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

fingers wrote: I understood what you wrote. I am wondering why you trhink that.
My understanding (only from what I've read on here) is that Nettlefold is on around $750,000.

I have a friend who I consider to be in the top CEO bracket. He earns a few mill per year, and on top of that gets massive bonuses, and then all the other top exec perks (first class all the way). Then you throw in all the other freebies these people get (invites to everything) and it's a crazy amount.
Over coffee he mentioned he was thinking about a change, and I mentioned the Saints. He burst out laughing.
Irrespective of the drop in income he said you'd be on a hiding to nothing; if you do well it's expected so you get no credit, and if the club is burning dwarfs then your own reputation is soiled.
He suggested it's more for someone moving sideways on a similar wage looking for a change, or for someone on the way up looking to make a name for themselves (like Terry Dillon perhaps) or a labour of love.
I agree with him.

If I was responsible for looking to replace Nettlefold I'd be looking at ex Saints players that have some experience in the Corporate world and are looking to move up to a CEO spot, and to get back into the football industry. I have no idea who that may be. In a few years I think someone like Luke Ball, after a few years corporate experience would be a good CEO type, he could be a bit like Brendon Gale who I rate as pretty good.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
My understanding (only from what I've read on here) is that Nettlefold is on around $750,000.

I have a friend who I consider to be in the top CEO bracket. He earns a few mill per year, and on top of that gets massive bonuses, and then all the other top exec perks (first class all the way). Then you throw in all the other freebies these people get (invites to everything) and it's a crazy amount.
Over coffee he mentioned he was thinking about a change, and I mentioned the Saints. He burst out laughing.
Irrespective of the drop in income he said you'd be on a hiding to nothing; if you do well it's expected so you get no credit, and if the club is burning dwarfs then your own reputation is soiled.
He suggested it's more for someone moving sideways on a similar wage looking for a change, or for someone on the way up looking to make a name for themselves (like Terry Dillon perhaps) or a labour of love.
I agree with him.

If I was responsible for looking to replace Nettlefold I'd be looking at ex Saints players that have some experience in the Corporate world and are looking to move up to a CEO spot, and to get back into the football industry. I have no idea who that may be. In a few years I think someone like Luke Ball, after a few years corporate experience would be a good CEO type, he could be a bit like Brendon Gale who I rate as pretty good.
Tell your friend he's a w@nker

“Yeah….nah””
fingers
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:

I agree with him.

Thanks.

It must be interesting to know one of probably only 6 CEO's in australia that earns a "few million". He must have some great stories. And I'm sure the "invites to everything" must be worth a packet.

I think you will finds that there are some great execs and CEO's that earn a lot less and would do very very well at the Saints (or any club for that matter).

The CEO's role is not one for a "labour of love" - I think we've made that mistake before.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:It must be interesting to know one of probably only 6 CEO's in australia that earns a "few million".
The median CEO salary in the ASX 100 in 2012 was about $1.95m, and the median bonus was $1.06m. That suggests there are a lot more than six who take home well over a couple of million.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
fingers wrote:It must be interesting to know one of probably only 6 CEO's in australia that earns a "few million".
The median CEO salary in the ASX 100 in 2012 was about $1.95m, and the median bonus was $1.06m. That suggests there are a lot more than six who take home well over a couple of million.
I wasn't being literal with 6 - thanks for the stat. You will find that there are some big numbers at the top end.

The Craw
Club Player

A CEO earning $750k for a business that turns over $40 mil ..... that is just insane. It should be more like $250 - $300k in the real world.

Not Craw, CRAW!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
bergholt wrote:The median CEO salary in the ASX 100 in 2012 was about $1.95m, and the median bonus was $1.06m. That suggests there are a lot more than six who take home well over a couple of million.
I wasn't being literal with 6 - thanks for the stat. You will find that there are some big numbers at the top end.
Sure, but outlying big numbers make no difference to the median. The Lowy boys can double their pay (again) but that doesn't change the median one iota.

70s sainter
Club Player

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:The silence from Seaford is deafening at the moment. When we sacked Watters, Summers said we'd have a new Senior Coach and CEO by the end of November, and the new strategic plan would be announced in coming weeks. Plus, we still haven't replaced Centrebet as a 2nd major sponsor.

What's going on??
As far as sponsorship goes the saints are prob the least appealing team out of the 18 clubs.
Will finish close to bottom.
Already has a bad reputation.
Wont be shown on prime time often.
Has the Milne rape case pending.

Having said all that its still an afl club who can offer a decent amount of guensey time so they should be able to find someone. Cant see it being a major brand in Australia though.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
fingers wrote:
bergholt wrote:The median CEO salary in the ASX 100 in 2012 was about $1.95m, and the median bonus was $1.06m. That suggests there are a lot more than six who take home well over a couple of million.
Sure, but outlying big numbers make no difference to the median. The Lowy boys can double their pay (again) but that doesn't change the median one iota.
I'm only going by the group of guys that work in my part of the business that design most of the exec packages for the ASX200. But hey what would they know?

Back on point.....I still think we can get a very capable CEO for the money that we think Nettlefold was getting. There are some really talented people earning a lot lot less than "a few million". Challenge is snaring one.

Legendary
Club Player

Well our President is a good example. He is the CEO of an ASX-listed company with an annual revenue of approx $158m per year.

In 2012 he was paid $385k salary + $95k bonus + $200k of shares + other entitlements, taking his total remuneration to about $800k for the year.

Considering we are a $40m business and our last CEO was paid $800k per year, I reckon we will have some very strong candidates looking at the job.

Don't forget there's a lot of intangible and related benefits that come with being #1 at an AFL club.

Megamaguire
Club Player

We need one that is committed to long term stability and growth - as well as all the other present - day
successes that the club needs reg: decision-making.
My fingers are mightily crossed on this one as it effects us all as St.Kilda people.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Legendary and Mega - this is probably the single biggest appointment we will make.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Out of interest - what was Nettlefold doing before he got the Saints job?

He never struck me as being that bright. Just seems like he got by on his looks, nice suits and being in the mates/boys/ex players club.