Simpkin and Siposs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Simpkin and Siposs

BigMart wrote:Scarlett an inch taller and 5kg up on Simpkin.... And a fair bit of talents also

Does everyone actually think listed heights are correct?!

I have been next to Simpkin at Sandy a number of times... He ain't that big, much shorter and not as big as Blake.

Listed at 191 wearing his boots with long studs.....IMO

Has anyone seen Scarlett look monstered... What about Simpkin?

Simpkin is a HBF size

He is 191cm but standing next to a guy is usuall7y a good way of getting height wrong unless you are taller than someone and looking down on them.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Scarlett an inch taller and 5kg up on Simpkin.... And a fair bit of talents also

Does everyone actually think listed heights are correct?!

I have been next to Simpkin at Sandy a number of times... He ain't that big, much shorter and not as big as Blake.

Listed at 191 wearing his boots with long studs.....IMO

Has anyone seen Scarlett look monstered... What about Simpkin?

Simpkin is a HBF size

He is 191cm but standing next to a guy is usuall7y a good way of getting height wrong unless you are taller than someone and looking down on them.
TallMart?

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I've stood next to him a few times at Sandy, I'm 190cm and he had height on me.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Well I'm 180 and have stood next to him talking to him at Sandy and he's bigger than me.

Having said that there is no way he is key position back size!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Between 6'2 188 and 6'3 190.5 is my guess... 90kg

He's a touch taller but not as big as Gwilt ... I reckon Dempster is taller, Roberton and Gilbert definitely are...

Point is, regardless of arguing over 10mm or so, he is just not big enough to take on guys like Cloke, Walker, Tippett etc... Who are genuine monster

Standing next to a guy is not a good way to gauge there actual height. Haha, yeah right... Maybe the saints website is more accurate... Like with mini and Bakes at 179cm

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BTW

His body is a bit strange.... Long solid trunk, short arms and legs and and giraffe like neck.... His elbows are only at his ears overhead?!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:BTW

His body is a bit strange.... Long solid trunk, short arms and legs and and giraffe like neck.... His elbows are only at his ears overhead?!
Is he a human?

Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Between 6'2 188 and 6'3 190.5 is my guess... 90kg

He's a touch taller but not as big as Gwilt ... I reckon Dempster is taller, Roberton and Gilbert definitely are...

Point is, regardless of arguing over 10mm or so, he is just not big enough to take on guys like Cloke, Walker, Tippett etc... Who are genuine monster

Standing next to a guy is not a good way to gauge there actual height. Haha, yeah right... Maybe the saints website is more accurate... Like with mini and Bakes at 179cm
Nooone expects him to be the key defender - which is why we recruited Bruce and Delaney.

At best Simpkin can replace Dempster and Gwilt.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Between 6'2 188 and 6'3 190.5 is my guess... 90kg

Amazing that the website says 191 and you say he could be as tall as 190.5. Tell me you are joking? As for Bakes being 179 well that again seems very accurate to me but hey ive only stood next to him at the most 30 times. Tom was probably 300 times. As for Mini I cant say as I have only stood nextt to him a few times. By the way how many times have you stood next to a guy? And I dont mean watching training from a distance. We know you dont attend games.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Personally, I don't think it matters so much as what position he is playing he needs to get much, much more fit. Too many times last year he would just look spent so quickly; he can't work hard enough when we have the ball and when we don't have it.

If he doesn't build his tank, his work-rate and his overall fitness then he won't succeed no matter where we play him.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Correct

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

was mini supposedly 'mini' harvey?

that really had to be the most over optimistic nickname of all time.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
gringo wrote:Someone told me Rene Kink played at Full forward at times and he was 183cm.
Whether standing up or lying down :wink:
From memory, he played Full Forward for our reserves for most of the season in that year (1986?) he came to play with us.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Jeremy Cameron = 196cm
Tippet = 198cm

They are the new key fwd prototypes. Both will kick over 600 career goals.
Well i just looked it up - apparently KT is 202 cm and already has 223 goals to his name...

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

This topic reopened ... Bickering posts have been sent to AE.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I thought the defence looked tighter towards the end of the season with Simpkin in. He needs a few centimetres but he is an excellent pure defender, tough and tight.

Siposs is a bit of a puzzle. Has an abundance of ability. Beautiful kick, strong mark, but possibly suffers from the same affliction as Simpkin ... a lack of centimetres to really nail down a key position. He needs to work on his tank.

It will be interesting to see what Richo has in mind for these two. New regime, some will thrive and others stagnate.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I thought the defence looked tighter towards the end of the season with Simpkin in. He needs a few centimetres but he is an excellent pure defender, tough and tight.

Siposs is a bit of a puzzle. Has an abundance of ability. Beautiful kick, strong mark, but possibly suffers from the same affliction as Simpkin ... a lack of centimetres to really nail down a key position. He needs to work on his tank.

It will be interesting to see what Richo has in mind for these two. New regime, some will thrive and others stagnate.
I agree, I also thought we looked better with Simkin in late last year, I like the aggression Simpkin displays at times, hopefully he can keep that in check and focus it on the ball and avoid suspension. I think Sippo needs to attack the ball harder when it is up for grabs. I watched him closely last year in a few games and he just seemed to stand back a bit while other teammates that were further away would beat him to the ball.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:was mini supposedly 'mini' harvey?

that really had to be the most over optimistic nickname of all time.
Had that nickname in High School so don't think it had anything to do with Harvey..

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Cairnsman wrote:... I watched him closely last year in a few games and he just seemed to stand back a bit while other teammates that were further away would beat him to the ball.
Good point.

Could be a number of reasons, but the one I'd suspect is a lack of confidence... in particular, a lack of confidence in his place/role in the team.

Often young blokes may hang back coz they fear 'getting in the way of' a star team mate... especially on the forward line. (I mean, taking us as an example, do the blokes up field try to spot-up Roo, or the newbie who is still trying to find his feet in the big time...?)

I remember the (in)famous Dermott B once saying, that despite his trademark swagger, it took him quite a while to feel that he 'deserved' to be/had the 'right' to be... out on the same field as blokes (both team mates and opposition) whom he'd grown up admiring as being stars of the game.

Subsequently, his advice to young blokes was that one has to forget reputations (again, both team mates and opposition)... if it's your footy to win, then-just-go-for-it.

To that I'd just add, if one is a newbie forward 'sharing' with an all-time champion of the game...
just keep on presenting, whether your positioning is honoured or not...
coz sooner or later it will be...
especially if your team mates are ever smart enough to work out that you are a beautiful kick,
and your man is leaving you to quintuple-team Roo... :idea: :roll:

I suspect this may be the issue for Sippa? Thoughts...?

PS: I remember how G-Train in the rooms at half time in that fateful final against nought Power, implored his team mates not to kick it to him all the time as he was being double and triple teamed... and therefore there had to be other blokes being left unguarded... Seemed pretty logical to me G'.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I suspect this may be the issue for Sippa? Thoughts...?
Could be. My impression from games last year is that they were trying to build his tank so making him run hard through the middle - but that was leaving him buggered most of the time. Maybe he never ran much as a kid. I blame his junior coach.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:I suspect this may be the issue for Sippa? Thoughts...?
Could be. My impression from games last year is that they were trying to build his tank so making him run hard through the middle - but that was leaving him buggered most of the time. Maybe he never ran much as a kid. I blame his junior coach.
:D

saint6709
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:I thought the defence looked tighter towards the end of the season with Simpkin in. He needs a few centimetres but he is an excellent pure defender, tough and tight.

Both aren't KPP's so just need to find a role - sipposs is more of a Jack Darling size and should be looking at that role - Simpkin should be a hard man down back and ready to take th third tall forward - also needs to work on his offensive run and carry