My Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: My Team

The loose defender is created by both teams pulling a forward in favour of an extra mid. That makes a 5-7-6 formation that's visible at centre bounces. Post-bounce you usually get one or two guys running in from the top or bottom of the square. Around the ground stoppages will quite often have the majority of players in the vicinity, especially in a tight game. There are a lot of situations where you only have two or three forwards and three or four defenders. Sometimes teams will sneak their +1 into stoppage.

That said, we'll probably use 7 or 8 guys in the backline over the course of the game. The KPDs, health permitting, will play 100% of game time. The other guys will play as close as they can, with someome like Ray or Geary (if he's in the middle) rotating through to give them a spell. The really defensive guys will be Bruce, Delaney and whoever lines up their best small. The other guys will push up at various times.

I'm guessing the reason TDL hasn't been mentioned much is because of his overwhelming popularity. I haven't seen his name on any injured list. Especially with Templeton likely getting a go in the forward line, I'd be surprised if we went with another inexperienced small forward.

My best guess:

B: Bruce - Delaney - Gwilt
HB: Dempster - Roberton - Webster
C: Geary - Armitage - Ray
HF: Savage - Riewoldt - Dennis-Lane
F: Stanley - Maister - Templeton
OB: Hickey - Jones - Curren

IC: Dunstan - Newnes - Ross - Wright

EM: Dunnell - Longer - Simpkin

Yeah nah pleasing positive
sax
Club Player

B: Wright, Delaney, Gwilt
HB: Dempster, Roberton, Webster
C: Newnes, Armitage, Ray
HF: Savage, Riewoldt, Saunders
F: Curren, Maister, Stanley
R: Hickey, Dunstan, Geary
I: Ross, Templeton, Jones Sub: Billings
E: Bruce, Lee, Markworth

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

1 forward plays very high...

In this case Savage.... (Often Joey)... Can be called an offensive Wing... It's generally the player the '+1' as you referred to drops off... To play as a sweeper, QB or sits in the hole?

People often ask who is Michael Johnson opponent and why can't they kick it to him? If MJ is running around doing as he pleases... Or Brendon Goddard, or Ggodes from the Dogs, or any loose defender? Fisher?

How does this position eventuate?

It's pretty simple really....

Getting a both ways press will require a squeeze at stoppages, simply as a result both teams often drop on off (nominated player) and tries to free them up.

Savage (or Curran/Saunders) will play high.... And a Melbourne defender like Grimes will sit off him and try to provide rebound? It becomes a game of who is more effective?

We will drop off an extra for sure.... But it will be the 6th... NOT THE SEVENTH! The seventh defender is sometimes used against a side that structures 6stay at home fwds and an extra is desired....
In this case you go with 5 fwds?

What actually happen in general play, because all of this is stoppage set up is you may often find 3 defenders with no opponent or 1 opponent fwd of centre whilst all numbers are pushed up the ground to team defend

lefty
Club Player

B: Wright, Simpkin, Webster
HB: Dempster, Gwilt, Roberton
C: Savage, Armitage, Newnes
HF: Sippos, Riewoldt, Ray
F: Saunders, Stanley, Lee
R: Hickey, Dunstan, Geary
I: Ross, Curren, Jones, Sub: Templeton
E: Delaney, Maister, Bruce

That'd be the team I choose, I still don't think Delaney is the answer to be honest, plus there's no point for him against Melbourne, as there is no match up / large power forward. I noticed my interchange is all mid players, if anyone you could take out Ross and put in a defender in Bruce or Delaney.

Billings not ready

, TDL, Stevens, Montagna, Gilbert, Fisher, Schneider, Hayes, Longer, White, Milera, Murdoch, Dunell, Markworth, Billings

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:1 forward plays very high...

In this case Savage.... (Often Joey)... Can be called an offensive Wing... It's generally the player the '+1' as you referred to drops off... To play as a sweeper, QB or sits in the hole?

People often ask who is Michael Johnson opponent and why can't they kick it to him? If MJ is running around doing as he pleases... Or Brendon Goddard, or Ggodes from the Dogs, or any loose defender? Fisher?

Getting a both ways press will require a squeeze at stoppages, simply as a result both teams often drop on off (nominated player) and tries to free them up.

Savage (or Curran/Saunders) will play high.... And a Melbourne defender like Grimes will sit off him and try to provide rebound? It becomes a game of who is more effective?

We will drop off an extra for sure.... But it will be the 6th... NOT THE SEVENTH! The seventh defender is sometimes used against a side that structures 6stay at home fwds and an extra is desired....

What actually happen in general play, because all of this is stoppage set up is you may often find 3 defenders with no opponent or 1 opponent fwd of centre whilst all numbers are pushed up the ground to team defend

How can you tell all that from TV? Its a simple question. You admit you dont go to AFL footy.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:1 forward plays very high...

Credit where it's due, that makes sense...I learnt something.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Careful BigMart, you might educate Pluggs by giving him too much sound and sensible advice.
Remember, he is coaching umpires, in the Ammos I think, so leave him to dream in his own little world.

mrkiss
Club Player

Geary Delaney Roberton
Webster Bruce/Gilbert Dempster
Saunders Newnes Billings
Armitage Reiwoldt Ray
Curren Maister Dunstan

Hickey Ross Savage

int Gwilt Wright Jones Longer
if any above injured Lee Simpkin if either a forward or back is needed

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GoSaintersGo wrote:Careful BigMart, you might educate Pluggs by giving him too much sound and sensible advice.
Remember, he is coaching umpires, in the Ammos I think, so leave him to dream in his own little world.

Coaching umpires? What does that mean? pretty sure I understand footy and I understand your posts. My 3 year old neice understands your posts. She told me they lack substance. Pity you didnt have the courage to respond to my post.

Junior
Club Player

Wright Delaney Roberton
Dempster Gwilt Webster
Geary Armitage Ray
Saunders Riewoldt Savage
Curren Maister Stanley

Hickey Dunstan Jones

Inter Ross, Newnes, Templeton, Billings sub

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
spot on
Club Player

Jones Delaney gwilt
Webster Gilbert dempster
Wright Dunstan Geary
Ross reiwoldt billings/ templeton
Curren lee Stanley
Hickey savage armo

Newnes ray roberton , saunders sup

I hope if billings plays it not as a sup, don't play him if his not ready. Especially for him first game.
Think jonesy has to take the small forwards and let curren, Geary the midfield time
Would like it if either sippos or simpkin was given a go.
Does anyone know when Murdock will be fit to play again? What's happened to him ?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oh Dear P66

That is just a ridiculous response, childish and aggressive... Like a tantrum from a teen ager?!

And what's with the old TV chestnut you desperately bring out.... Of course I don't go to the footy every week?

1/ I have a young family
2/ I still play
3/ I have other interests
4/ I have a TV
5/ I work some weekends

But I get there when Ican? And more to the point... When I WANT!!!

Not sure why I have to justify myself to you, but there you go

Having said that
I study current football structures and coaching pretty closely, being involved at local and school level, and run Sport and Recreation via football victoria and of course coach the school teams.. Although I rarely implement high level strategy into u18 teams, i do have a reasonable grasp of modern footy
Level 2 coaching courses have a lengthy section on tactics and strategy, and I get continual updates from AFL Victoria coaches association... Which is good.
Also worked with a current VFL coach, and probably the best coach In the MPNFL and experienced SFL coach.

Obviously played footy at a good standard for many years, I picked up a bit along the way.

And before you get stuck into me for going on about my history in the sport (in actual fact I am more a cricketer) your continual denigrating of me, without any knowledge of me whatsoever .... Suggests you should understand that whilst your an armchair expert. I have at least played, coached and taught the game for a long period!

As a saints supporter, I can be a bit over the top... Frustrated and passionate.
As a person involved in football at different levels ...... I study it pretty deeply. You should, if you're going to teach/Coach at high junior level IMO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Oh Dear P66

That is just a ridiculous response, childish and aggressive... Like a tantrum from a teen ager?!

And what's with the old TV chestnut you desperately bring out.... Of course I don't go to the footy every week?

1/ I have a young family
2/ I still play
3/ I have other interests
4/ I have a TV
5/ I work some weekends

But I get there when Ican? And more to the point... When I WANT!!!

Not sure why I have to justify myself to you, but there you go

Having said that
I study current football structures and coaching pretty closely, being involved at local and school level, and run Sport and Recreation via football victoria and of course coach the school teams.. Although I rarely implement high level strategy into u18 teams, i do have a reasonable grasp of modern footy
Level 2 coaching courses have a lengthy section on tactics and strategy, and I get continual updates from AFL Victoria coaches association... Which is good.
Also worked with a current VFL coach, and probably the best coach In the MPNFL and experienced SFL coach.

Obviously played footy at a good standard for many years, I picked up a bit along the way.

And before you get stuck into me for going on about my history in the sport (in actual fact I am more a cricketer) your continual denigrating of me, without any knowledge of me whatsoever .... Suggests you should understand that whilst your an armchair expert. I have at least played, coached and taught the game for a long period!

As a saints supporter, I can be a bit over the top... Frustrated and passionate.
As a person involved in football at different levels ...... I study it pretty deeply. You should, if you're going to teach/Coach at high junior level IMO

Dont pretend you dont go every week. You said you havent been for years. Forget childish responses and tell us how you know how our side plays from TV. You can study what you like but that doesnt tell you which players do what and you have said. Explain that without talking crap. And I have no idea how good or bad you were you at footy but I do know you never played AFL footy so dont give me that crap. By the way I also played not that it matters. Im guessing Sainter K didnt so I gather you suggests she writes crap. To me it doesnt seem so. Certainly know more than most on here. By the way i have done level 2 coaching but my course didnt tell me the Saints players and their structures. You must have done a spacial course. Just like your special TV.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sorry Pluggs

You only get the one response? Once I've logged on to respond, your posts don't display... You'll have to wait until tomorrow or unless you are quoted?

I am sure it was a mature response? Unlike you other effort, which even for you... Was a bit pathetic

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Sorry Pluggs

You only get the one response? Once I've logged on to respond, your posts don't display... You'll have to wait until tomorrow or unless you are quoted?

I am sure it was a mature response? Unlike you other effort, which even for you... Was a bit pathetic

I actually watching a game liveis very important. I think all AFL clubs think the same way. Funny that. Im suppose I should expect that response when you donmt go to games. How is our super rules player going?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Wright Bruce Webster
Curren Gwilt Dempster
Newnes Savage Geary
Armitage Roo Maister
Stanley Lee Ray

Hickey Jones Ross

Inter. Saunders Dunnell Billings Dunstan ( sub )
you were only a couple out....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Sorry Pluggs

I actually watching a game liveis very important. I think all AFL clubs think the same way. Funny that. Im suppose I should expect that response when you donmt go to games. How is our super rules player going?

Maybe if I spoke English people might respect me more. I beleive I need a think in there and a space between live and is.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: 1/ I have…
2/ I still…
3/ I have…
4/ I have…
5/ I work…

I get there…
When I WANT!!!

I have to…

Having said that
I study…
I rarely …
i do…
I get…
Also worked…
Obviously played…
I picked…
I am more a cricketer…
I have…
I can be…
I study it pretty deeply.
IMO
Please, tell us more…

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who else am I gonna talk about? He was having a crack at who? I would suggest I?!

You know,
You can comfortably ignore it?..... You don't have to read or respond

But you have to don't you? You're compelled? Ask yourself why?

I am very interested in the fact you really react to everything I write... If you're so opposed, why do you bother?

your biased view makes your antagonistic replies boring

Bye Dragit

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not sure why I have to justify myself to you...
That's the same question we're all asking - why do you feel the need to justify yourself to someone you don't rate at all?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Who else am I gonna talk about? He was having a crack at who? I would suggest I?!

You know,
You can comfortably ignore it?..... You don't have to read or respond

But you have to don't you? You're compelled? Ask yourself why?

I am very interested in the fact you really react to everything I write... If you're so opposed, why do you bother?

your biased view makes your antagonistic replies boring

Bye Dragit
Infatuation I guess. Or maybe I'm bored, daddy didn't love me? I dunno mart.

I'm interested in why when someone has a crack, you have to list every achievement since your under 9 encouragement award. Most people with any genuine confidence can laugh off a dig on an Internet forum.

What views of mine are biased or heaven forbid boring?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Your antagonistic comments? Perhaps are what I'm referring to as non credible, boring and predictable.

For instance
You jibe about U9s

Only played one level of Junior Footy.... Which is all that was available in country Tas!

So that comment is silly, obviously... And designed as a sarcastic crack to denigrate... Nasty motivations IMO And very much the norm, from you? Often straight out bagging... Try arguing the point, without the personal stuff.

I get questioned pretty severely on the forum... Sometimes aggressively by certain poster (like you)
I have no problem defending myself, and making people fully aware that whilst they can certainly oppose any view I hold.... The constant barrage of insults will be met with who the f*** are you?! Because I've been around a while
Too many arm chair expert wannabe bullies, who would sh*t themselves if push came to shove.... But can dish out insults at will without any problem?

Weak as piss in many cases....

Eg/P66 attempting to ridicule me in this thread.... I mean seriously?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I get questioned pretty severely on the forum... Sometimes aggressively by certain poster (like you)
I have no problem defending myself, and making people fully aware that whilst they can certainly oppose any view I hold...
I reckon people have a go at you more because they get such a good reaction. Most people just brush it off but you always erupt, even though it's not going to make a blind bit of difference.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I react or erupt to insults... Not arguments.

And if those want me to desist they should give it a rest.... Perhaps

Until then
Fire with fire IMO

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I react or erupt to insults... Not arguments.

And if those want me to desist they should give it a rest.... Perhaps

Until then
Fire with fire IMO
I want you to desist because it's boring as batshit and makes the whole forum boring. Same with some of plugger's s***. It wastes everyone's time reading it and makes you look stupid. I don't think you can correct that impression just by arguing more.