Sandi is Overrated

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sandi is Overrated

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:The article on Warnock was very interesting

Bomber targeted him as the weakness... He knew he was going to win heaps of taps.... He used Carlisle to carve him up around the ground.

Reinforces what Matthew was trying to say... Hit Outs unless they are to clear advantage are nothing

And the stat doesn't even remotely correlate to wins

To measure a Ruckmans efficiency would be this IMO

Possessions (let's say 15) + Hitouts to adv (let's say 20% of 32 = 8) Tackles (Lets say 4)
Bonus Points for Goals (1) and Contested Marks (2)

That would be an excellent Ruckman Game
30 points

Hickey Round 2
36 points
Mumford
38 Points

Both played great games

I take it you use that point system so Mumford would just get over the line. Will it ever stop. Its a strange system especially goals. A ruckman kicking 3 goals only get 3 points. Guess how many goals Hickey kicked.

I actually think he has conceded that Hickey was good now, there is no need to rub his nose in it. Performance is subjective and both did play good games in different ways. Mumford is an ox Hickey had to use his smarts. I rated Hickeys game higher because he was like a rat outsmarting the fox. One on one Mumford would push him out of the way. Hickey made Mumford have to account for him. A brilliant effort and I concede Jolly who I detested has probably worked his magic on Hickey. That system seems reasonably fair.

How many points is a rat and how many for a fox?

:mrgreen:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Fred Fanning had 18 goals one day from 18 kicks. His game was only rated as good as Hickey. Plugger similar when he kicked 16 against Fitzroy. You can think he designed it to be fair. I reckon he designed it so hickey was below Mumford.

He also kicked a point from memory so just a better game than Hickey. 37.1?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How do you assess a Ruckmans stats effectiveness... Goals? Come on, tell me you're not one of these supporters who think goals are a measure of how good ones game is... In reality, a goal is just a kick... The last kick in a chain?

If Lenny Hayes wins a contested ball in the centre against two? Baulks one and delivers a perfect pass to a leading forward (Riewoldt) giving him an uncontested mark. He kicks simple goal from 35m
Who has delivered the goal? Riewoldt or Hayes

What about Joe the goose goals? Beneficiary of another with a cheapie... Is that player the creator of a goal... Is it the most important element of the score? The person who causes the goal is the one who did the job, not necessarily the one who kicked it?!but you'd know that

For instance, one of Toms goals was resultant from a 50M penalty? He kicked it from 10m out. If a Giant didn't over run the Mark would his game been 1/3 worse?

Kids, goals are not always an indicator of performance?

BTW
If you went on DT points Mumford smashed him?

And in case you didn't know Mumford also hit the scoreboard?

Spinner
I read you posts... Your game analysis... Well????

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Spinner

Not sure what this means? You read my posts?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How do you assess a Ruckmans stats effectiveness... Goals? Come on, tell me you're not one of these supporters who think goals are a measure of how good ones game is... In reality, a goal is just a kick... The last kick in a chain?

If Lenny Hayes wins a contested ball in the centre against two? Baulks one and delivers a perfect pass to a leading forward (Riewoldt) giving him an uncontested mark. He kicks simple goal from 35m
Who has delivered the goal? Riewoldt or Hayes

What about Joe the goose goals? Beneficiary of another with a cheapie... Is that player the creator of a goal... Is it the most important element of the score? The person who causes the goal is the one who did the job, not necessarily the one who kicked it?!but you'd know that

For instance, one of Toms goals was resultant from a 50M penalty? He kicked it from 10m out. If a Giant didn't over run the Mark would his game been 1/3 worse?

Kids, goals are not always an indicator of performance?

BTW
If you went on DT points Mumford smashed him?

And in case you didn't know Mumford also hit the scoreboard?

Spinner

Poor Plugger, Dunstall and Coventry. And I thought you said Lockett was the greatest player you have seen. They will be different though. 50 metres or not he kicked 3 goals. I dont think we go through players records and say he got a joe the goose or a 50 metre penalty so that shouldnt count. 1 point for one goal and one point for a possesion. What if the possession went OOF. Is that better than a joe the goose or at least equal. dont think so.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So P66

How's your Maths

Fanning
18 Kicks.... 18 points
18 goals.... 36 points
I didn't see Fred Play... But from what I hear... A fair contested mark
On a day like that in the 50s let's say minimum 6 contested marks
42 points
Let's say he laid 2 tackles
44 points
Most likely BOG
Given I rated 30 an excellent game!

It is a simplistic system... But why does one have to be difficult

If it's applied the same to compare games.... It's just more objective than biased opinion

Oh and you missed the point of the post.... Which supports Tom

Hit outs are not overlay important?!

Btw
I said Tom played a good game... In fact better than that
In R1 he was good
In R3 he was average

I didn't say he was a good player... Not yet. More evidence than two games needed IMO

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Joffaboy

Why not ask some Hawthorn supporters if they are happy with the trade? Or any NEUTRAL supporter that is...

In there mind, they traded a second round pick for a 100 game Ruckman who was a top 10 pick? They lost 5 places on another pick and still got the player they were going to select in Billy Hartung... Who they see as a successor to Mitchell who is 31yo

And sweetened the deal by getting rid of a player not in their best 22

They were certainties to get Longer, but baulked on him... Believing he is not ready to take the #1 mantle at 20 and they wanted a Ruckman ready to go straight away. They are rapt with McEvoy.

It WAS also a win for us.... As soon as we got LONGER. there was a gap between both trades.

Basically we lost a high FRP in the draft for a second rounder.... A net loss
But then gained a FRP in the draft for a second rounder.... A net Gain

We drafted extremely well in getting Dunstan.... But we did not know we were going to get him at trade time. We knew we got pick 18 which bears no guarantees, only potential

There is always TWO sides to every draft story.

On Tom... Is tracking OK. At the end of the year... We'll reassess his performance.
If he is better performed than Ben, I'd be surprised, if he's better performed than Billy, again I'll be surprised
That's my opinion... I'm entitled to it? A couple of goals and good games doesn't make a player. Cain Ackland was excellent early 2005.

Round 1 Spencer statistically out performed him
2 Mumford did the same and was listed GWS best
3 Cox was named WCE best player

Go figure

Dont know what you are on about. Never said it was a bad deal for Hawthorn.

You were the one who said it was a bad deal for the Saints and other clubs were laughing at us.

Which clubs were laughing at the trade BigMart???

And I will assess Tom Hickeys performance when I like, maybe at year end, maybe in two years. All I know is that he has ability and is developing well.

Lies damn lies and statistics. Hickey was given in the top two on the ground by numerous experts and clearly outpointed Mumford. Only you cant see it and only you want to belittle and downplay any of Hickeys performances for some perverse reason, probably because you bagged the crap out of him.

As you say we did no know what we would get with 18 and 19, but still it was ludicrious to say other clubs were laughing at us when the deal had not even come to fruition, absolutely farcicial.

And yes we traded very well, but to trade well you need to have the picks. To get picks you need to trade players with currency.

Considering Mac had currency, we needed top picks, and we had a developing ruckman in Hickey, and then picked up a 20 y.o. in the trade period in Longer, it was a very canny strategic trade.

It will be in all probability win/win. they get a very good ruckman in Mac, we have already seen Dunstan, and we hear very good things about Acres, Savage is a capable player.

On top of this Hickey is getting better and played better against Natinui and Cox than Macevoy ever did for the Saints.

Look we know you made some very premature and silly calls. Calling Hickey a gumby, getting a bit hysterical saying clubs were lauging at us about the MacEvoy trade, the fact that the Cripps goals and assists were the difference between the teams on Saturday even though you continuie to tell us that Cripps is no good.

i am seriously getting a bit concerned with you being in such denial. Its OK BM, you are allowed to be completely and utterly wrong. Even moreso, you can actually support the Saints instead of the constant critisism, especially when everyone can see how far off the mark you are on these things.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

This is getting pretty damn funny... Champion data stocks will plummet tomorrow when this revolutionary player rating system is unleashed.
Gringo, can you please bring a ferret and a goose into your next analogy?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Aha

But again you falter Pluggs

And used the very wrong players to illustrate your incorrect point

I said those who created the goal... Were the most important... But did not say the goal kicker was insignificant?!
It still need to be kicked

Yes, Lockett was the beneficiary of Harvey, Winmar and Co quite often
But are you saying he didn't create goals
Are you saying he didn't win contests in the air or on the ground that were 50/50 to kick the occasional sausage?

What separated Lockett from mortals was that he often beat more than one.

Not godd eight for a mid to just bash it forward and get the plaudits for a goal if Big Tony has to make the look good

Plugger takes a CM and kicks a goal
There's 3 points right there... And he tripled most of the time...

Yes it's a crude system, just designed to compare similar type players output... But again it takes out subjectivity
Most would disagree, but I think numbers rarely lie

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So P66

How's your Maths

Fanning
18 Kicks.... 18 points
18 goals.... 36 points
I didn't see Fred Play... But from what I hear... A fair contested mark
On a day like that in the 50s let's say minimum 6 contested marks
42 points
Let's say he laid 2 tackles
44 points
Most likely BOG
Given I rated 30 an excellent game!

It is a simplistic system... But why does one have to be difficult

If it's applied the same to compare games.... It's just more objective than biased opinion

Oh and you missed the point of the post.... Which supports Tom

Hit outs are not overlay important?!

Btw
I said Tom played a good game... In fact better than that
In R1 he was good
In R3 he was average

I didn't say he was a good player... Not yet. More evidence than two games needed IMO

Milne 11 goals 16 possessions 2 tackles one contested mark. He gets 30 points. Yep thats good. Only 8 worse than Mummys game.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Most would disagree, but I think numbers rarely lie
You obviously dont work with numbers. You can make them say anything you want, all the time.

Joke

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Thread of the Year!!!

Seriously this is friggin hilarious :lol: :lol:

Thanks BM for the laughs you have redeemed yourself

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I said comparing similar players, didn't I? How would Gary Ablett Juior Go most weeks? He needs to be compared to mids????

BTW
Was Milney the cause of all those goals?

My memory suggests we won that game easily.... The million dollar question

Did we win easily because Milney kicked 11 or did Milney kick 11 because we won easily?!

I suspect a bit of both....

I remember Lenny had a good game that night....

P66
Continue to pour through games with your little agenda... I'll keep answering your queries if it helps you sleep?
My comments must be really taken seriously by you, considering the lengths you go to?

Don't agree... Fair enough

Provide alternate argument if you like... Nah, not your style

Devilhead
DT/SC
Just a more elaborate situation, which at the end of the day... Would end up with similar results. They look at effectiveness of disposal, next level of analysis, also pressure acts and 1%s which add a defensive element.

And others
If stats are meaningless... Why do we quote them?
Why do they publish them
Why do coaches hold up a whiteboard at every huddle
Why have statisticians?

It's so we have evidence, and don't just go... I think such and such played pretty wheel IMO
Numbers allow us to MEASURE performance.

Some days numbers are more valuable... But overtime stuff evens out.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Again Pluggs

Read carefully

To compare SIMILAR type players

How do poor defenders go?!

An effective game at FB may hardly score?!

Think about it man!!!

Comparing players in different positions is moot

Compare an elite Mid to an elite Fwd is a difficult/subjective exercise? Just an opinion? Their stats are going to be different
How does one measure.
Mummy vs Lockett.... Is a Ruckman kicking a goal more important than a FF do FF get 30 hit outs?!

Who is a better cricketer
Ponting or Tendulker
Tendulker or Murali
Ponting or Warne
Ian or Greg Chappell
Lillee or G.Chappell

Hard to compare apples and oranges

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote: Who is a better cricketer
Ponting or Tendulker
Tendulker or Murali
Ponting or Warne
Ian or Greg Chappell
Lillee or G.Chappell

Apples are worth 2 points. They keep doctors away. Oranges are worth 1.

Not sure what the point system is for cricket. Or the point of that question.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Again Pluggs

Read carefully

To compare SIMILAR type players

How do poor defenders go?!

An effective game at FB may hardly score?!

Think about it man!!!

Comparing players in different positions is moot

Compare an elite Mid to an elite Fwd is a difficult/subjective exercise? Just an opinion? Their stats are going to be different
How does one measure.
Mummy vs Lockett.... Is a Ruckman kicking a goal more important than a FF do FF get 30 hit outs?!

Who is a better cricketer
Ponting or Tendulker
Tendulker or Murali
Ponting or Warne
Ian or Greg Chappell
Lillee or G.Chappell

The problem with you BM is the smart people on here can see your agenda. You made goals worth only one point so that Mummy could just sneak over the line. Seen it too often to think otherwise. I dont care what type of player we are comparing and how they get their goals but a goal should always and that always be worth more than a handball but that would have meant Hickey got more points than Mummy. yes you said both played great games but you just had to prove Mummy had a greater game. Agenda.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Have I got this correct?
A 'snap; goal kicked with the non-preferred foot from the boundary line 30 meters out is worth the same 1 point as a downfield free kick given to a player not involved in the contest standing in the goal square?
That seems equitable. :roll:

IMHO this simplistic scoring system is even more flawed than the DT/SC system.
I'd love to know if coaches bother looking at DT/SC points or if they look at stats they feel actually give them an insight in how a player performed *whatever those stats are?).

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did I say it was a crude system.... Of course it is flawed....

But
Like the motive for your posting when replying to me.... Just a bit of negative bias yes? I take less notice of posters replying to me that don't even really consider the post and just have a go.... You are one of them.

Questions
Is number of possessions an indicator of how one played
Do you read the paper and look at the stats table
Why
How many kicks are earned, gifted, effective, long, short, uncontested, damaging, under pressure ?

Measure ones game has to have a scoring system.... Otherwise it's just subjective and opinionated
However
So is, gee I think ????? Played a great game today.... Is more flawed

Not sure most even knew... That when lauding Tom Hickeys game... Even realised the Shane Mumford actually dominated too.

Love your goal theory
If a player was rewarded a down the ground free kick, he is the beneficiary of a tea mate ...... Which is why goals are not always the most significant possessions
Yet all are worth 12 DT points?
The player who snapped one from the boundary.... Besides pulling one out of his arse has kicked an amazing goal...
Do we consider flukes? Unintentional acts?
Should a system by broken down to the exact quality of every possession?

For the purpose of this exercise
It highlighted that Mumford statistically in one area monstered Tom but Tom did well in another area.

Tom was the beneficiary of a 50M penalty to kick 1 goal.... So do we not count that? Count it less? Mumfords goal was outstanding. Do we rate that higher?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Did I say it was a crude system.... Of course it is flawed....

But
Like the motive for your posting when replying to me.... Just a bit of negative bias yes? I take less notice of posters replying to me that don't even really consider the post and just have a go.... You are one of them.

Questions
Is number of possessions an indicator of how one played
Do you read the paper and look at the stats table
Why
How many kicks are earned, gifted, effective, long, short, uncontested, damaging, under pressure ?

Measure ones game has to have a scoring system.... Otherwise it's just subjective and opinionated
However
So is, gee I think ????? Played a great game today.... Is more flawed

Not sure most even knew... That when lauding Tom Hickeys game... Even realised the Shane Mumford actually dominated too.

Love your goal theory
If a player was rewarded a down the ground free kick, he is the beneficiary of a tea mate ...... Which is why goals are not always the most significant possessions
Yet all are worth 12 DT points?
The player who snapped one from the boundary.... Besides pulling one out of his arse has kicked an amazing goal...
Do we consider flukes? Unintentional acts?
Should a system by broken down to the exact quality of every possession?

For the purpose of this exercise
It highlighted that Mumford statistically in one area monstered Tom but Tom did well in another area.

Tom was the beneficiary of a 50M penalty to kick 1 goal.... So do we not count that? Count it less? Mumfords goal was outstanding. Do we rate that higher?
If you post errant, nonsensical crap I (and anybody else who wants to) shouldn't comment on it?????

I notice you still haven't yet mastered the ability to read AND comprehend what is written.
If you had mastered that simple skill you wold clearly see I am no fan of DT/SC points as I believe they are seriously flawed.
But even though they are seriously flawed (IMHO) they are far and away in front of your pathetic attempt to portray Tom Hickey's game in a negative manner.
And lets be realistic here,. the whole reason for your post was to denigrate Hickey's game and bait other posters into responding.
That you then feel the need to bemoan when others comment on your blatant baiting shows how pathetic your attempts can be.
In instances like this you are, IMHO, no better than the serial trolls who infect this site.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

P66

Did Mumford play well?

A simple yes or no?

Saying that kicking goals means someone has played a good game is ridiculous. I played a shocking game on the weekend and kicked 4??? Had about 10-12 touches and rarely influenced the game outside of some cheap junk time goals?!

What were Mumford DT results? Do you know
A scheme designed by statistician with degrees in mathematical probability?

That system too is flawed, I agree ... Far less simplistic than my little spur of the moment basic analysis?

But I bet applied to most players, in most games would rank them similar

But you obviously have a better system

The
I've been watching footy for 50 years... I think saints player X played a darn good game in the ruck and kicked some goals?!

You may have watched a bit of footy... In your mind you may have a good idea... Others may think you're clueless
What evidence besides your subjective view do you have to form an opinion.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

MM.... Weak reply IMO

And
that's just your opinion of DT points

You believe they are flawed? But you have a better system, and those at champion Data are fools?

Just how do you measure a good game?

What evidence... Or is it just a subjective POV gut feel

Much more flawed IMO
Your a naturally biased person it seems (given how you get a set on me) if you like or don't like a player more... Does it effect your perception of their game? It's human nature...
Most people think I have a set (or agenda) on Hickey? I used some statistical analysis and evidence when looking at his game?

Interested to read your thoughts on

Wonder how you would have reacted if Loris suggested something similar... You natural bias taints your replies IMO

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Fantasy points aren't perfect, but they generally give you a pretty good idea who the best players were… anything over 100 is a pretty ripping game.

Round 2
Riewoldt 148
Mumford 132
Hickey 119
Ward 110
Montagna 110
Armitage 109
Smith 109

It's all subjective after that anyway, neither coach have Mumford a vote though… so clearly they didn't rate his hitouts to be very influential?

Riewoldt 10
Armitage 8
Smith 5
Ward 3
Hickey 2
Ray 2

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Let's bring some algebra into this discussion.

We can all argue the worth of different point systems but at the end of the day, in every measure..... points wise

-> Mumford = Hickey + 2

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Let's bring some algebra into this discussion.

We can all argue the worth of different point systems but at the end of the day, in every measure..... points wise

-> Mumford = Hickey + 2
Hard to argue with that.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:It's all subjective after that anyway, neither coach have Mumford a vote though… so clearly they didn't rate his hitouts to be very influential?

Riewoldt 10
Armitage 8
Smith 5
Ward 3
Hickey 2
Ray 2
That is the most telling of everything.

Obviously both coaches thought Hickey better than Mumford and Hickey the fifth best player on the ground.

But what would AFl coaches know? Far better to make up a ridiculous system to reinforce your increasingly silly position that Hickey is no good.

So you like asking questions BigMart (but never answer direct questions).

Do you know more about football than the two AFL coaches involved in the game?

Who were the clubs laughing at us over the Macevoy trade??

Lance or James??