Next captain?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Next captain?

saint-stu wrote:Schneiderman tipped Dunstan. Maybe Roo until he retires, then Monty to he retires, then Dunstan.
Roo to Captain for two more years, and then someone like Dunstan = Good attitude, very hard at it AND uses the ball well ( a rarity at the Saints).

Dunstan has the capability to be a 10+ year player for us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:Armo.

I've been saying it for years.

For too long, people think if you're a champion player, you're a champion captain and that's not always right. After the tete a tete Roonwas having with Stanley I'm wondering if he's creating a "Stuff you" mentality with the players.

I say again, don't play Roo next week and let's see how Armo performs as stand in captain.

Lenny would be Captain if he didnt play. of course Rooy plays next week. What does he need to rest for? I doubt we will make the finals.

I would like see how the team works together without Roo both as captain and the " go to man" when it's clear they can't or won't go to him.

Maybe they'll take upon the responsibility to at least have a kick at goal without the trepidation they're going to berated by their captain.

I dont think Jimmy kicked it to Roo because he was worried what Roo would say. It was bad decision and a worse kick. That simple.
Not that simple...

Everything points to the fact that issues are quite complex, not simple

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

One minute you are captain of the Saints and you are engaging in an informal discussion with a different club's president and the next minute your footy club sacks its coach....Hmmm

Did Roo indirectly get the ex coach sacked? Did the board act swiftly to prevent Roo from advancing his discussions with rival clubs?

Anyhow, it's all speculation and I'm not really sure if the main rift was just between Pelchen and Watters or whether the senior players and especially Roo had had enough of Watters trying to dictate to him and the other senior players what was best for the club.

All the other pr spin and deflections about Watters behaviour aren't the real reasons he got sacked. I'm not an insider and I'm not really sure what the main reason was. Was it co-incidental that the club signed Rooey after Watters left for a further 2 years? Anyhow on the day of the sacking announcement, the president had a really difficult time trying to peice together an explanation. I am still confused even though Watters publicly admitted he didn't see eye to eye with Pelchen.

What I am certain of is that IF ANY OF THE WATTERS GOES OR ROO GOES stuff is true then perhaps it has changed the psyche of the playing group. Players might be subconsciously shitscared of upsetting him. Did the Watters episode make him realise he CAN get his own way if he FLAPS his arms long enough for the board and power brokers to take notice. Maybe as a player - if you know what's good for you - you have to kick it to Roo!!

.......Next captain. A guy that trains hard, gets the best out of himself and demands excellence from everyone around him. Needs to be a good communicator and I think also needs to be a player that'll be around for the next five years. I know it's been done before but what about rotating the role -Gears, Armo, Dunstan, Newnes, Billy Longer?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im with you scollop.
I still remain very skeptical of it all.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 06 Jul 2014 11:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lets trade him
clearly the worst capt we have had, like...ever

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
saint-stu wrote:Schneiderman tipped Dunstan. Maybe Roo until he retires, then Monty to he retires, then Dunstan.
Roo to Captain for two more years, and then someone like Dunstan = Good attitude, very hard at it AND uses the ball well ( a rarity at the Saints).

Dunstan has the capability to be a 10+ year player for us.
Dunstan will be only 20 with 40 games.
Way too early. Hes miles off being a good AFL regular.

Has to be Armo.