Round 17 Team v North Melb

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 17 Team v North Melb

Con Gorozidis wrote:Honestly are we still trying to pick the 2010 side? Hoping for a time machine?
Gwilt Dempster Fisher down back.
Ffs. Our club is a joke.

No Con you are the joke because you keep menyioning this. Unlike you the club realise they need some experienced players in the current side and also next season. Its getting late in the year and they need to see if these guys are in enough form for them to stay on as the experienced players next season. People say give a guy 3 or 4 games in a row and when they give Dunell his second they whinge. We have looked at Minch now so he goes back to Sandy to try and learn to get more of the ball. If you like watching unacceptable performances like last week then go for it. None of us are dumb enough to think we are going back to 2010 apart drom maybe you because you keep mentioning it but a side has to be at least competitive. maybe that backline might help. maybe its to see if those players are good enough for next season. You might want to delist Fisher without looking at him but im glad the club want to give one of best CHB ever a chance to prove he has another season in him. Stop sooking Con.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, damn that Geelong, picking Bartel and Enright.

Damn that Collingwood, picking Luke Ball, Nick Maxwell, and Lumumba

They must think it's 2010, too

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Seriously, though, this team needs an added bit of experience in it at the moment, because it's clearly demoralised at the moment. In fairness to Dunell, he came on the ground when we were getting pulverised, so it was no surprise he couldn't get into the game. The coach needs to assess him. Decisions have to be made really soon about who stays and who goes, so it's probably last chance saloon for Dunell, as it was for TDL last week.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I think there's been some excellent posts on this thread that have put some perpsective on the selections and the approach of the match committee...I was one who was spewing with some of the selections when they first come out last night...but feel less so this morning. Certainly Bruce is rated amongst the club, they recruited him...but he clearly has deficiencies in his game that need working on, and perhaps he just needs to be made to absolutely work damn hard and eat some humble pie in the twos before really solidifiying his spot...He's going to be a KPP, so he has plenty of time on his side, good agility and size...needs to work on disposal and descision making...I have no doubt he is rated a good prospect for next year and beyond, will look for another strong performance in the twos this weekend. Dunnell, looks like it's now or never for him, and by now, that might be another couple of games, not just the one, although TDL only gets the one...thats tough to call...Minchi, the reason i'm so dissapointed by his dropping is the harsh words Richo used after the match, so all those players dropped must feel pretty S***house...I didn't think Minch didn't try and have a crack, so i hope the coaches have sat him down and explained exactly why he was dropped...because he gets a wrap one week, chopped the next after the coach gives the team amassive post game bake...that is mixed messages and thats what is most dissapointing

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Looking at our side, North will run rings around us (in fact all the good sides will).
We need to recruit quick, running players, skillfull play makers who can rack up 20 plus possessions, who can make things happen, who can break lines now and again - that should be our priority.

I know we will eventually get Wright and Gilbert back, but 90% of our players are one paced, average to slow.
Our recruiting hasn't always addressed or prioritised pace and skill - which is a big mistake.

Slow inside players win contested possessions - but quick players can get to more contests anyway, so they have a chance to win contested ball that slow players would never get to in the first place - as well as to chase, pressure and tackle and of course win more loose balls.

Our recruiters need to target ready-made players with skill and pace - we need some young, sturdy Burgoyne types (Milera is too slight) - about 5 or 6 them.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 11 Jul 2014 11:27am, edited 1 time in total.

FQF
SS Life Member

All the selections could be rationalised (at a stretch) except Gwilt over Bruce. It is very alarming.

Let's hope Fisher gets through unscathed.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Gwilt over Bruce can only make sense if we have decided Bruce is a forward. Fish in as a second tall, with Gwilt as third tall is ok. Takes some pressure off Dempster too. If Bruce is played in the backline for Sandy then it makes no sense at all.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Gwilt over Bruce can only make sense if we have decided Bruce is a forward. Fish in as a second tall, with Gwilt as third tall is ok. Takes some pressure off Dempster too. If Bruce is played in the backline for Sandy then it makes no sense at all.
What I love about this backline is that everyone is basically mid-size except Delaney:

Delaney 194cm
Roberton 194cm
Dempster 191cm
Fisher 191cm
Gwilt 188cm
Shenton 188cm

Roberton plays small but isn't too fast. In fact none of them are particularly quick, maybe Shenton the best in a footrace.

Let's hope North don't have too many tall forwards!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Roberton is faster than he looks and shenton is quick.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:Maybe it's a case of the club wanting to have enough information to make a call on each player?

Minch has done enough
Dunnell on his last chance to prove something
Can Fisher's body hold up?
Is Gwilt worth another season
TDL is done etc
Someone who gets it.

lewdogs
Club Player

So we can assume that a number of those in the side are playing for their careers over the next seven weeks.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Bruce not playing cos he's developing his forward game in the magoos.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Bruce not playing cos he's developing his forward game in the magoos.
If they line up as named he'll have to develop his forward game playing at full back on Khan :P

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

If CJ was afforded an entire half-season to prove he was s***, how come Minchington gets dropped after a few games despite looking useful?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:If CJ was afforded an entire half-season to prove he was s***, how come Minchington gets dropped after a few games despite looking useful?
Someone earlier in the thread said maybe Minch had done enough to be kept. That's another possible explanation.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Hate to say it, but Con is correct.
Fisher could not possibly spend more than 50% time on the ground.
Underdone.
If you are rebuilding a car and you have a choice of new parts or old parts, what would you choose?
Gwilt, Dempster are not in the best 22, surely.
Can't go backwards in time to their glory days.
"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak"
Why not re-draft Kosi for 2015? That's the way they're thinking, eh?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

When was the last season we were unable to score a century at least once? Even in the bad old days between 77 - 88 we always managed to kick 20 goals in at least two games a year. Must be pre-1960?

Our first quarters must improve - whether the team are directed to just attack at all costs in the first term, or if the directive is to go ultra- physical man on man, something needs to change, because people need something to hang their hat on. Since the loss to the Lions the players aren 't showing enpugh pride in their collective performance for mine.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:So we can assume that a number of those in the side are playing for their careers over the next seven weeks.
That is an absolute given. There will certainly be a few casualties of this war, of that I am sure.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
ChelseaGuy wrote:Disappointed to see Minchington out as seemed to add a different dimension up forward
Minch is a dud to be delisted.
I reckon your a dud for that comment. He's the only player that could hit a target last week.
10 possies and 1 goal and 1 tackle. Friggin wow.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:
skeptic wrote:Maybe it's a case of the club wanting to have enough information to make a call on each player?

Minch has done enough
Dunnell on his last chance to prove something
Can Fisher's body hold up?
Is Gwilt worth another season
TDL is done etc
Someone who gets it.
I get this, but what message does it send to someone like Minch? Either the powers that be have seen enough and won't retain him or they've seen enough and will, pretty simple I guess. But where is the kids head going to be at after being dropped after a couple of reasonable games? Give him a taste and make him hungry I guess, but I'd have preferred to keep playing him if he deserved a spot to gain a bit of momentum and confidence at that level.

I don't really subscribe to the gift them games, give them an AFL chance and see if they are any good before we delist them theory - I believe that is sending the wrong msg out but what the heck, each to their own (opinion).

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
tony74 wrote:
skeptic wrote:Minch has done enough
Someone who gets it.
I get this, but what message does it send to someone like Minch?
They do talk to the players, right? So Minch will know exactly what they're thinking about him.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:
St Ick wrote:
tony74 wrote:
skeptic wrote:Minch has done enough
Someone who gets it.
I get this, but what message does it send to someone like Minch?
They do talk to the players, right? So Minch will know exactly what they're thinking about him.
I don't think its as easy as just saying, hey buddy, you're dropped but we really like the way you went in the ones we just want you to work on getting more touches at Sandy and we just wanted to see if Sammy can cut it in your role in the ones before we delist him. Thats junior footy type stuff imo. As I said, each to their own, I just don't agree with the message it sends out to a kid that did ok and it's not like Minch has many runs on the board. If the little we saw was all we are ever going to see I will be disappointed personally (if he is delisted).

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With Bruce..

Maybe the club want to trial him as a key forward at Sandi for a bit.

He did very well last week.

So did Stanley in the seniors.

So no seniir elevation in that role yet.

Trial Bruce there..and if he goes well it can influence who me may try and draft or trade for....or let go.

Ie Bruce ok.. then Maister definitely gone.

If he goes very well ...then maybe if you are lineball with our first pick between a key forward and a mid...we go the mid.

We are all the future and not this year at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....