Petracca Vs McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lewdogs
Club Player

Re: Petracca Vs McCartin

Tough decision this one. Very important that we get a good'un.

Would make it a lot easier if the AFL gave us a PP and we landed them both :)

noob
Club Player

If we were able to get a priority pick at the end of the first round, which I doubt it by the way, we could trade our 2nd rounder and a decent player for a pick in the high 10s. Which should still get a quality tall.
Petracca for mine. The last Decade of premierships have been surrounded by gun midfields.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What are their families like?
How do their upbringings compare?

That is very relevant with all picks

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Take the best goal kicking midfielder - which looks to be Petracca.

Then in a few years buy a gun forward with free agency.

stkfc1
Club Player

HitTheBoundary wrote:Take the best goal kicking midfielder - which looks to be Petracca.

Then in a few years buy a gun forward with free agency.
Best move for mine. Load up on quality mids and when the time is right throw the big bucks at a quality, and more importantly, already developed forward.Reading between the Iines I think this is the clubs reasoning too with Tom Lee getting an extention.

FQF
SS Life Member

Petracca looks like a safer bet, but McCartin perhaps has more upside. We need both types desperately.

Either way, looks like we will be getting in a top talent either of whom I'd be happy with.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Petracca looks like a safer bet, but McCartin perhaps has more upside. We need both types desperately.

Either way, looks like we will be getting in a top talent either of whom I'd be happy with.
The issue is you rarely find the McCartin talent later in the draft where as the Petracca talent is often found in the later rounds.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
FQF wrote:Petracca looks like a safer bet, but McCartin perhaps has more upside. We need both types desperately.

The issue is you rarely find the McCartin talent later in the draft where as the Petracca talent is often found in the later rounds.

Depends if Petracca is a Judd or Dangerfield and Mc cartin is Fev or Riewoldt. It's all a gamble.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

http://boundforglorynews.com/draftee-co ... vs-wright/

little comparison piece between Wright, McCartlin and Goddard.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

millarsaint wrote:http://boundforglorynews.com/draftee-co ... vs-wright/ little comparison piece between Wright, McCartlin and Goddard.
Thanks for that Millars.
Patrick McCartin is your typical full-forward.
He is a strong mark on the lead, but can mark it in contested situations as well.
Probably McCartin’s biggest knock is his inability to play in other positions, but he is incredibly gifted up forward.
Of the three, he is the most natural forward and while he probably doesn’t clunk as many marks as the other two,
he reads the play the best and finds space incredibly well.
He doesn’t have the same bulking size about him but uses his footy smarts and goal kicking to help him.
He’s the guy you want kicking for goal if the game is on the line above the other two.
and
Strength: Wright > Goddard > McCartin
So...,
- Can only play the one position... immediate alarm bells!
- Doesn't clunk as many marks (as the other two) but relies on finding space... 'finding space' in the forward line as a key forward is almost impossible to do consistently, with today's emphasis on defence through flooding back to choke-up the opposition's forwardline.

Ok, it's a conjecture based opinion piece, but if the above is even somewhat accurate,
then I say that Patrick McCartin is a very, very, very risky proposition to transition to the AFL at the level expected/hoped from a No 1 pick. In fact, it's a risk that he could transition at all given the way the modern game is currently played.

Petracca appears to me to be a bigger, stronger, faster version of Luke Dunstan...
ie; he's ready to go.
And sure, with as much surety as is possible in the risky business of drafting, he'd be a very low risk to not be a topline AFL player... and very quickly.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
millarsaint wrote:http://boundforglorynews.com/draftee-co ... vs-wright/ little comparison piece between Wright, McCartlin and Goddard.
Thanks for that Millars.
Patrick McCartin is your typical full-forward.
He is a strong mark on the lead, but can mark it in contested situations as well.
Probably McCartin’s biggest knock is his inability to play in other positions, but he is incredibly gifted up forward.
Of the three, he is the most natural forward and while he probably doesn’t clunk as many marks as the other two,
he reads the play the best and finds space incredibly well.
He doesn’t have the same bulking size about him but uses his footy smarts and goal kicking to help him.
He’s the guy you want kicking for goal if the game is on the line above the other two.
and
Strength: Wright > Goddard > McCartin
So...,
- Can only play the one position... immediate alarm bells!
- Doesn't clunk as many marks (as the other two) but relies on finding space... 'finding space' in the forward line as a key forward is almost impossible to do consistently, with today's emphasis on defence through flooding back to choke-up the opposition's forwardline.

Ok, it's a conjecture based opinion piece, but if the above is even somewhat accurate,
then I say that Patrick McCartin is a very, very, very risky proposition to transition to the AFL at the level expected/hoped from a No 1 pick. In fact, it's a risk that he could transition at all given the way the modern game is currently played.

Petracca appears to me to be a bigger, stronger, faster version of Luke Dunstan...
ie; he's ready to go.
And sure, with as much surety as is possible in the risky business of drafting, he'd be a very low risk to not be a topline AFL player... and very quickly.

He supposedly has some of the stickiest hand ever according to Brad Johnson so not sure that's true. He's meant to be a marking machine. I imagine he will be more Roo like and Wright will be more of the new breed of forwards that are huge like Joe Daniher and Tipett. Mc Cartin is a proper forward where Goddard is perhaps a swingman who has dropped of the radar a bit and Wright maybe is getting better results because of his serious height and size advantage over the junior defenders. Wright would be handy for a team who wants a ruck/forward but we have so many already. It's a hard call for me. That's why Petracca is so appealing. He's capable of being a Brad Johnson undersized forward or a very high output mid with the ability to kick goals. He had like 35 possessions and 5 goals last game.

lloyd21
Club Player

Happy with either to be honest.

But all the people that I know associated with TAC /AIS rate Mc Cartin as clear no 1.

Just saying can Hawkins play well anywhere but key forward ....Cloke ? Jack Reiwoldt ? Josh Kennedy (eagles) ? Drew Petrie ? Jay Schulz ?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Even the best forwards, nowadays, only average 3 goals a match. McCartin may be a good contested mark - but Cloke, the best contested mark, is averaging around 2 goals/game.

We need quality midfielders - so I'd pick Petracca (who is likely to kick a goal or two anyway)!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Happy with either to be honest.

But all the people that I know associated with TAC /AIS rate Mc Cartin as clear no 1.

Just saying can Hawkins play well anywhere but key forward ....Cloke ? Jack Reiwoldt ? Josh Kennedy (eagles) ? Drew Petrie ? Jay Schulz ?
I've heard recruiters rate McCartin clear no 1 as well.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

mccartin every day of the week for mine.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

As good as McCartin may be, if Petracca keeps going though he could be hard to ignore. Replacement for Roo or not I want the best kid in the land to get to us

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
PJ
SS Life Member

Petracca this year GWS forward next.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Kernal75
Club Player

FWIW Petracca is already developed so there's a reasonable chance he's playing better against the kids due to his size. This years draft is choc full of KPP's whereas as next year will again be a midfielders draft by all accounts. For that reason, take McCartin so he can have at least a season with Riewoldt. We'll be worse again next year I expect so then we can load up on mids. KPP's don't grow on trees and we need a few of them so it's a no brainer for mine.

PJ
SS Life Member

I don't think you worry as much about developing the forward (early stages at least) - bring him in from another team, this is where our cap space kicks in.

If a forward is already proving themselves at the top level it's a better bet than an unproven draft pick.

McCartin may be good but is also a risk. I see Petracca as less risky.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:FWIW Petracca is already developed so there's a reasonable chance he's playing better against the kids due to his size. This years draft is choc full of KPP's whereas as next year will again be a midfielders draft by all accounts. For that reason, take McCartin so he can have at least a season with Riewoldt. We'll be worse again next year I expect so then we can load up on mids. KPP's don't grow on trees and we need a few of them so it's a no brainer for mine.

What if he's a Chris Judd, Dangerfield, Fyfe elite mid prospect. I don't think the real elite talent mids are that common. A forward will take up to 5 years to develop and Mc cartin looks pretty solid but he wants to be outstanding for me to look past Petracca. Richmond didn't come back until they got Cotchin and Dusty, Port Olly Wines, Sydney Kennedy and Hannerbury etc.

You need really good mids to deliver the ball. Stanley might look a lot better if he was hit lace out every time. Good mids make good forwards. I wish we had a priority pick myself.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

PETRACCA!!!! sounds better when you scream it out really loud - just rolls off the tongue

Whilst MCCARTIN!!!! sounds ok as well its just not as good as

PETRACCA!!!!

so by this theory Petracca is the man

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

It's a gamble either way.
But. ..
We already have a great forward and it's not doing us any good.

We need good midfielders - to get more (and better quality) entries into our forward line (and at the same time to ensure less opposition entries into our backline).

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:It's a gamble either way.
But. ..
We already have a great forward and it's not doing us any good.

We need good midfielders - to get more (and better quality) entries into our forward line (and at the same time to ensure less opposition entries into our backline).
Whether we pick up a mid or key forward in the draft, next year isn't going to immediately make us a better team. We are in for the long haul. Agree we need good mids...also need good forwards...backs....flankers. It's going to take some time, may as well get a couple of talls now cos they take longer to develop. McCartin could be ready by the time a mid taken 2 years after him is ready.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Petracca or Durdin

Clem Smith or Lachie Weller (Mav's brother) later draft picks.....

Haven't spent much time looking at Phantom Drafts this year yet.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 17 Jul 2014 7:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Whichever way our club goes, I am sure they will be critisised by someone on here

You are garbage - Enough said