Delisting retirements

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delisting retirements

Changes I'd make

Retire: Hayes, Maister
Delist: Dennis-Lane, Jones, Milera, Dunell, Minchington (r)
Trade: One of Gilbert/Gwilt for an upgraded draft pick
Upgrade: Weller, Shenton, Templeton

Leaving four spots on the senior list and four on the rookie list. I'd take three picks in the national draft and throw a big contract at one of the GWS boys to come to us through the PSD. Take the best kid not drafted with pick one in the rookie draft and re rookie either Minchington or Saad.

Agree that we should use 2015 to see how Stanley, Lee, White, Hickey, Siposs and Markworth go up forward before going after Boyd or Patton.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:lol some of the blokes mentioned in this thread have already re-signed for next year
So had Nick Winmar. A contract isn't an impediment.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure about who should be delisted but I am sure that Minchington can play and shouldn't be delisted. I can see we may make the same mistake with him that we made with Hutchins.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I'm not sure about who should be delisted but I am sure that Minchington can play and shouldn't be delisted. I can see we may make the same mistake with him that we made with Hutchins.

What not keeping a slow in and under midfielder? Im sorry but i think Minchington has to go. We have plenty of ordinary to fair footballers on the list as it is. I would also probably give Shenton the flick as well but I dont think that will happen.

Saint wagga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:I'm not sure about who should be delisted but I am sure that Minchington can play and shouldn't be delisted. I can see we may make the same mistake with him that we made with Hutchins.

What not keeping a slow in and under midfielder? Im sorry but i think Minchington has to go. We have plenty of ordinary to fair footballers on the list as it is. I would also probably give Shenton the flick as well but I dont think that will happen.
Sounds as if your mind is made up re: guys like Minchington and Shenton Plugger...neither has been given an opportunity to play much senior footy, and neither has been eased into it in a team going well which must make it very hard to find your feet (That goes for a lot of our younger pleyers IMO), im' inclined to think those two players mentioned have shown enough glimpses of quality that if they can become more consistent, they could be more than ordinary to fair players...of course time will tell...

Saint wagga
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:Changes I'd make

Retire: Hayes, Maister
Delist: Dennis-Lane, Jones, Milera, Dunell, Minchington (r)
Trade: One of Gilbert/Gwilt for an upgraded draft pick
Upgrade: Weller, Shenton, Templeton

Leaving four spots on the senior list and four on the rookie list. I'd take three picks in the national draft and throw a big contract at one of the GWS boys to come to us through the PSD. Take the best kid not drafted with pick one in the rookie draft and re rookie either Minchington or Saad.

Agree that we should use 2015 to see how Stanley, Lee, White, Hickey, Siposs and Markworth go up forward before going after Boyd or Patton.
+1 I like this summary, nice post!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sounds as if your mind is made up re: guys like Minchington and Shenton Plugger...neither has been given an opportunity to play much senior footy, and neither has been eased into it in a team going well which must make it very hard to find your feet (That goes for a lot of our younger pleyers IMO), im' inclined to think those two players mentioned have shown enough glimpses of quality that if they can become more consistent, they could be more than ordinary to fair players...of course time will tell...

I think Shenton has been pretty handy. He's earned his spot by working his arse off at Sandy and plays an attacking backline role. With out a lot of options for similar role players he would be very unlikely to be dropped. His only knock is he looks like his tank isn't huge and blows up a little easily but he runs flat out when he does play. Minch has shown glimpses and might be unlucky and get chopped. Victim of finding Eli and Weller in one year if he does. I could see him doing what someone like Hutchings has done and working his way back on to a list at some point.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think Shenton has been pretty handy. He's earned his spot by working his arse off at Sandy and plays an attacking backline role. With out a lot of options for similar role players he would be very unlikely to be dropped. His only knock is he looks like his tank isn't huge and blows up a little easily but he runs flat out when he does play. Minch has shown glimpses and might be unlucky and get chopped. Victim of finding Eli and Weller in one year if he does. I could see him doing what someone like Hutchings has done and working his way back on to a list at some point.

Yep he is handy just like about 20 on our list but neither Minchington or Shenton would games in many if any other sides. We have many like that but the difference is these guys are rookies and if they were in the draft and you saw their form would you draft them because thats what we are doing. I wouldnt but luckily for both players I have nothing to do with it. Its only my opinion and its not like i get things right all the time but I do think Minchington will not be on the list next year and Shenton is 50/50.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yep he is handy just like about 20 on our list but neither Minchington or Shenton would games in many if any other sides. We have many like that but the difference is these guys are rookies and if they were in the draft and you saw their form would you draft them because thats what we are doing. I wouldnt but luckily for both players I have nothing to do with it. Its only my opinion and its not like i get things right all the time but I do think Minchington will not be on the list next year and Shenton is 50/50.
Thanks Christ for that then!

Minchington appears to me to be so much better than the current and possible alternatives in the small forward category. He has footy nous, he chases, tackles and is a glorious kick. He is certainly in front of Milera, TDL and Saad (if he were reinstated). Eli yet to prove himself either but I'd have him and Minch comfortably ahead of those other guys.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yep he is handy just like about 20 on our list but neither Minchington or Shenton would games in many if any other sides. We have many like that but the difference is these guys are rookies and if they were in the draft and you saw their form would you draft them because thats what we are doing. I wouldnt but luckily for both players I have nothing to do with it. Its only my opinion and its not like i get things right all the time but I do think Minchington will not be on the list next year and Shenton is 50/50.
Thanks Christ for that then!

Minchington appears to me to be so much better than the current and possible alternatives in the small forward category. He has footy nous, he chases, tackles and is a glorious kick. He is certainly in front of Milera, TDL and Saad (if he were reinstated). Eli yet to prove himself either but I'd have him and Minch comfortably ahead of those other guys.

Why is Minch better? And if so why doesnt he play? And having players who are likely to be delisted or not even on the list behind Minch doesnt mean he stays. And when did I say Templeton is out? Never mentioned his name. The question is would you draft Minchinton knowing his form over the last couple of years because that is what we are doing doing. I wouldnt and if our club doesnt no other club will.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If Minchington and Shenton were going to make it they would be on the senior list by now, after three years.
I would clean out the rookie list by promoting Weller and Templeton and delisting the other two.
With the retirement of Hayes and Maister, there may be one or two retirements still to come.

Club Player

I suspect we will have 6 spots open on the senior list- the two retirees (would love Lenny to change his mind!) and the following who will not be renewed:- TDL, Schneider, Jones and Dunnel.

Weller has won a spot, Shenton too I suspect. Templeton to remain a rookie for next year. That leaves 4 senior positions. Fisher should be re-contracted, it will do some of the young defenders good to play with him for an extended period. There will be some delisting then re-rookie list of a few e.g. Markworth

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

6621104 wrote:I suspect we will have 6 spots open on the senior list- the two retirees (would love Lenny to change his mind!) and the following who will not be renewed:- TDL, Schneider, Jones and Dunnel.

Weller has won a spot, Shenton too I suspect. Templeton to remain a rookie for next year. That leaves 4 senior positions. Fisher should be re-contracted, it will do some of the young defenders good to play with him for an extended period. There will be some delisting then re-rookie list of a few e.g. Markworth
I am happy to keep Schneider on a reduced contract. We still need good disposal now and again however I know he is usually injured.

To me it is a no-brainer. If he gets fit then he plays most games.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Besides making fairly ordinary videos - what has Schneids done in the last 2-3 years?

With Eli and Billings coming up - then Schneids needs to seriously turn it around if he is going to stay on next year. Id say hes gone.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

6621104 wrote: ... That leaves 4 senior positions...
Last draft we brought in nine newbies (including two rookies, but not including the international blokes.)

The Pelican has said he wants another three top 20 picks this draft.
And I'd reckon there's a good chance he's got a couple of other blokes in mind to get beyond those three.
Shenton and Minch have to be upgraded or let go into the draft... I hope the former.
Weller's form demands being upgraded.
Eli has shown enough too, but may have to temporarily remain a rookie and await a long term injury.
And hopefully we'll rookie Ahmed...

So in summary, I reckon that we'll need way more than four positions freed up.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon Eli stays on the rookie list for another year, Weller upgraded and Shenton also just done enough to to get an upgrade. Minch I reckon is gone.

Concern is back line - Gwilt is struggling, Fisher has one year left and Dempster no longer is Mr reliable. All 3 have maximum of 1 year left - so really need to find their placements especially considering Bruce looks like he may end up being a forward not a defender.

Schneider is cooked and should go _ TDL , Milera , Dunnell , Jones all looked to have their exit papers stamped.

I don't see we really have any trade bait - Gilbert hasn't been on the park enough in tbe last 2 years to command a decent price

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'd rather we clean out the older blokes and keep guys like Shenton and Minch on the list or at least keep them as rookies. Not sure Roberton has done enough to cement his spot ahead of these two either. One thing I do know is that the younger blokes will at least try the hearts out and from what I've seen they haven't been any worse than Ray or Joey...and let's not mention Schneider

Weller and Curren are too similar and don't have the class or upside of Dunstan - one of Weller or Curren may find it hard to keep playing with the seniors.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
6621104 wrote: ... That leaves 4 senior positions...
Last draft we brought in nine newbies (including two rookies, but not including the international blokes.)

The Pelican has said he wants another three top 20 picks this draft.
And I'd reckon there's a good chance he's got a couple of other blokes in mind to get beyond those three.
Shenton and Minch have to be upgraded or let go into the draft... I hope the former.
Weller's form demands being upgraded.
Eli has shown enough too, but may have to temporarily remain a rookie and await a long term injury.
And hopefully we'll rookie Ahmed...

So in summary, I reckon that we'll need way more than four positions freed up.
It is a myth he said (Pelican) wants another 3 picks in top 20 this draft

Over a 3 year period (including last year) said wanted to increase 1st round picks by 50%

last year we got three NEVER mentioned we are targeting 3 this year..............

By the way we probably need 5!!

saint4life
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how schneids sleeps nights taking his fat weekly pay cheque from the club week in week out these last three years.

Club Player

I think the back line will be the least of our problems in 2015 - presuming injuries don't cruel us again: - Geary, Delaney, Wright, Webster, Gilbert, Fisher (and unfortunately dempster who should struggle to get a game) reads pretty well and if we snag a centre half back well........
As others have said we need mids with pace who are two sided as a priority. Though I would take Cameron in a heartbeat - he is the most Roo like of the young forwards.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Not sure how schneids sleeps nights taking his fat weekly pay cheque from the club week in week out these last three years.
Injuries caught up.

Oldest body of a 30yo in the game

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

6621104 wrote:I think the back line will be the least of our problems in 2015 - presuming injuries don't cruel us again: - Geary, Delaney, Wright, Webster, Gilbert, Fisher (and unfortunately dempster who should struggle to get a game) reads pretty well and if we snag a centre half back well........
As others have said we need mids with pace who are two sided as a priority. Though I would take Cameron in a heartbeat - he is the most Roo like of the young forwards.
We are in a bit of poop if Dempster does not get a game yet Geary does...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Not sure how schneids sleeps nights taking his fat weekly pay cheque from the club week in week out these last three years.
Injuries caught up.

Oldest body of a 30yo in the game
Very overrated player IMO

Got much better value out of Ray

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Your notion that he should anxiously lay awake at night doesn't sit well with me Con.

He has ruined his body playing footy for the club, has barely been able to play because of injuries.

He looks finished now, but to suggest he has been fleecing the club is a bit off.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con that isnt a very nice comment to make. Been through hell with injuries and given his all to get back many times.