Give it up a Gwilt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: Give it up a Gwilt

dragit wrote:Really need to subtract any goals that he handed the dogs from turnovers in the back 50.

He was good up forward, still not sure where he fits going forward, we have too many slow backmen… and gwilt is behind Delaney, Fisher & Dempster IMO.

Beautiful kick for goal though.
Didn't Fisher have 4 goals kicked against him - wasn't he on Springer?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
dragit wrote:Really need to subtract any goals that he handed the dogs from turnovers in the back 50.

He was good up forward, still not sure where he fits going forward, we have too many slow backmen… and gwilt is behind Delaney, Fisher & Dempster IMO.

Aren't we talking about Gwilt?

samoht
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
samoht wrote:

I meant Stringer, of course.
You were comparing Gwilt with Fisher, Delaney and Dempster.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
dragit wrote:
samoht wrote:

I meant Stringer, of course.
You were comparing Gwilt with Fisher, Delaney and Dempster.
Okay sure,
Just had a quick look, Gwilt had 3 kicked on him in the first quarter, 2 from Stringer and one from Crameri… and a couple of turnovers kicking out from a point.
It's not easy playing in the backline at the moment obviously, he's a trier Jimmy… but yes I would rather Dempster or Fisher over Gwilt - no doubt

samoht
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: It's not easy playing in the backline at the moment obviously, he's a trier Jimmy… but yes I would rather Dempster or Fisher over Gwilt - no doubt
Regardless of whether Dempster or Fisher is ahead of Gwilt, in the backline, I still think our bottom 5-6 players should not be keeping Gwilt out of the team - if they only average 5-6 possessions a game. There still should be a spot for him (maybe forward?).

gringo
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
dragit wrote: It's not easy playing in the backline at the moment obviously, he's a trier Jimmy… but yes I would rather Dempster or Fisher over Gwilt - no doubt
Regardless of whether Dempster or Fisher is ahead of Gwilt, in the backline, I still think our bottom 5-6 players should not be keeping Gwilt out of the team - if they only average 5-6 possessions a game. There still should be a spot for him (maybe forward?).

I agree, you can't have 5 guys giving the same performances that Murdoch gave, it's important to get games into them but not at the expense of getting thrashed. Fisher and dempster are in their final couple of years and with Fisher possibly last. Gwilt is a few years younger and can at least over lap.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

look ive been critical of Gwilt for some time ... his desposal has been terrible and he has been taken to the cleaners by the big forwards and ran ragged by the small forwards this season ... honestly over the space of the whole year its been a poor season for gwilt ... that said he did a bang up job as a stop gap forward yesterday and prob played his best footy all year in that period up forward ... looking into the future and our teams needs during this rebuild i think there might be some value in keeping Gwilt on for next year to basically fill that Beau Maister role of back up last resort strong body forward ... i cant see Gwilt being a big part of the team in 2015 but getting him to play in Sandy and then occasionally filling gaps in games throughout the year is i think the best option for us

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:look ive been critical of Gwilt for some time ... his desposal has been terrible and he has been taken to the cleaners by the big forwards and ran ragged by the small forwards this season ... honestly over the space of the whole year its been a poor season for gwilt ... that said he did a bang up job as a stop gap forward yesterday and prob played his best footy all year in that period up forward ... looking into the future and our teams needs during this rebuild i think there might be some value in keeping Gwilt on for next year to basically fill that Beau Maister role of back up last resort strong body forward ... i cant see Gwilt being a big part of the team in 2015 but getting him to play in Sandy and then occasionally filling gaps in games throughout the year is i think the best option for us
Based on his goals in the 2nd half he played his best game for 3 years. His first half was par for the course though.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samoht
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: His first half was par for the course though.
If we closely examine 2 goals "kicked on Gwilt" in the first half, though.

1. Longer's tap straight into the path of Stringer, gifted Stringer a goal. I blame Billy L for that one. There's nothing Gwilt could have done about it.

2. Stringer ran right through a Fisher and (someone else's) fresh air tackle at the 50 metre mark, and then lobbed a pin-point pass straight over Gwilt's head perfectly onto Crameri's waiting arms. I blame Fisher and the other tackler for that. How did Stringer get past both of them - he somehow ran right between 2 defenders when they were barely a metre apart?

Those looking to scapegoat Gwilt need to watch the first quarter again, properly - before they post more inaccuracies.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

samoht wrote:
magnifisaint wrote: His first half was par for the course though.
If we closely examine 2 goals "kicked on Gwilt" in the first half, though.

1. Longer's tap straight into the path of Stringer, gifted Stringer a goal. I blame Billy L for that one. There's nothing Gwilt could have done about it.

2. Stringer ran right through a Fisher and (someone else's) fresh air tackle at the 50 metre mark, and then lobbed a pin-point pass straight over Gwilt's head perfectly onto Crameri's waiting arms. I blame Fisher and the other tackler for that. How did Stringer get past both of them - he somehow ran right between 2 defenders when they were barely a metre apart?

Those looking to scapegoat Gwilt need to watch the first quarter again, properly - before they post more inaccuracies.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good witch hunt samoht :wink:

You are garbage - Enough said
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:look ive been critical of Gwilt for some time ... his desposal has been terrible and he has been taken to the cleaners by the big forwards and ran ragged by the small forwards this season ... honestly over the space of the whole year its been a poor season for gwilt ... that said he did a bang up job as a stop gap forward yesterday and prob played his best footy all year in that period up forward ... looking into the future and our teams needs during this rebuild i think there might be some value in keeping Gwilt on for next year to basically fill that Beau Maister role of back up last resort strong body forward ... i cant see Gwilt being a big part of the team in 2015 but getting him to play in Sandy and then occasionally filling gaps in games throughout the year is i think the best option for us
Based on his goals in the 2nd half he played his best game for 3 years. His first half was par for the course though.
no im just mindful that we need to have some stronger bodies as assurances .. as i said im very critical of gwilts performances this year especially but i see no harm in keeping him on the list next year as that Maister type coming into the team if we say lose Roo for a game ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm not hunting witches, but I counted 3 in the first quarter…

The ball was pumping in there pretty fast though and there are always multiple factors when a goal is kicked.

He redeemed himself well, but I'm still not sure he is a sure bet going forward, nothing personal. The coaches probably think very differently.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Thankfully the kick-out he did that went straight to a dogs players only went through for another behind...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I thought our problem seemed to be that we played very attacking with nearly everyone forward when we got the ball moving but they were quick so they were often having 5 players running into a near open goal from the rebound before any of our backs were able to get back close to them. It seemed a high risk strategy that wasn't very successful.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

missed tackles also hurt this ...

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Put it this way I'd much rather him in the forward half than the back half. He's too slow has the turning circle of the Queen Mary, turns the ball over and loves to go backwards which is a trait of someone that doesn't know what to do with it. He may be a great guy but that doesn't do the team all that much.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

his new role is forward, he's a lovely kick for goal

Fortius Quo Fidelius
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Play Gwilt up forward. At least he knows where the goals are and looks dangerous. I want us to kick at least one more century this season - went close against the Bullies.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I thought our problem seemed to be that we played very attacking with nearly everyone forward when we got the ball moving but they were quick so they were often having 5 players running into a near open goal from the rebound before any of our backs were able to get back close to them. It seemed a high risk strategy that wasn't very successful.
because we didn't put any scoreboard pressure on them until the last quarter. Gwilt in the forward line from now on, for mine.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saint-stu
Club Player

For those who think Gwilt has had a poor year, what would you say about Seany Dempsters year?

I am a huge fan of both, but Seany has also made loads of mistakes in defence this year and has given up far more goals than he usually does.

I don't think it's their fault. They're playing in defence in the worst team in the competition. We have been without our most experienced talls (Gilbo and Fisher) just about all year. It's a tough gig! Give them a break.

And I hope you'd be happy to make these comments to their face.

1ac46a38
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The fact that Richo would have the faith in Gwilt to switch him into a forward role and the fact that it paid off is what I love to see in coaches. Bloody Blight did that to us and to the Kangas and he won back to back flags.

Not saying that Gwilty is going to be a permanent forward or anything, but I think we need players who have confidence to perform any role that a coach asks of them and it's a sign of a good coach if you have faith in your players and communicate well and get the player to perform.

A good example would be how he got Josh Bruce to play forward and who knows, it could be a permanent shift. Similar to what Richo and the coaches did with Sav - they reinvented him as a half back flanker and he looks like he could own that position for quite a while.