Melbourne Tanking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Melbourne Tanking

spert wrote:"Rebuild" can cover a whole multitude of sins, and smart recruiting and good guidance will help, but it doesn't guarantee anything as there is a lot of outright luck involved in the process. I mentioned that I was concerned that a loser mentality may be created by chronic floggings, and the best way to avert that, is to become competitive and ideally...win. We have become way too uncompetitive this season, and too many players have under-achieved, the body language is not good, and it needs turning around come the start of season 2015.

Won one less game than last year which a list no where near as good.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur! ( emphatically )

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

http://theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/melbo ... 05jrh.html

Bit obvious from the Dees. Get unexpectedly thumped by a poor side and then get straight on the blower to the AFL whinging for a priority pick.

If they end up with pick 2 + pick 3 as a priority pick + pick 4 for Frawley it will actually make our pick 1 more valuable!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:http://theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/melbo ... 05jrh.html

Bit obvious from the Dees. Get unexpectedly thumped by a poor side and then get straight on the blower to the AFL whinging for a priority pick.

If they end up with pick 2 + pick 3 as a priority pick + pick 4 for Frawley it will actually make our pick 1 more valuable!
You'd reckon they might wait till the end of the season?

With 2 rounds left they should still be aiming for 2 more wins which would give them 6…

I guess from our perspective, if they receive one, we would be more likely to also get one in the next few years.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Tankers now have requested for a PP.

I guess with Gilligan in charge who resembles a human at least they'll get a chance for one.
Although I don't believe they should get it. They were given Roos with some help by the AFL so that should be enough for now

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

If this happens, I give up. I can't believe the AFL would seriously consider this given all of the assistance they have had. For essentially a self inflicted injury. I guess it would be different if that meant we were to get one too, but what is the realistic chance of that happening?

I can't see how it would advantage us, as In this draft I doubt they would trade a package of those for #1, and I can't see them trading live players with us.

Surely the AFL has to draw a line.

Always loyal
lloyd21
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm not one to rejoice in another club's woes, but after all the hype regarding the " super coach " recruitment, etc pre-season, I'm even more positive about the direction OUR club is going in!

8-) Agree with the comments club is on the money with Richardson prefer what he is attempting to do been really hurt by a lot of senior players unavailable
Against the "Messiah " being payed 1.5 million a year who has an 8 man back line every week 3 man forward line every week
and makes every game a scrum to lower the scoring hence the % difference .

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:

If this happens, I give up. I can't believe the AFL would seriously consider this given all of the assistance they have had. For essentially a self inflicted injury. I guess it would be different if that meant we were to get one too, but what is the realistic chance of that happening?

I can't see how it would advantage us, as In this draft I doubt they would trade a package of those for #1, and I can't see them trading live players with us.

Surely the AFL has to draw a line.
Footy Clackified put up a graph earlier whereby they listed the amount of wins by teams for the last 10 years (may have been less than 10 years) and the Demons were clearly the worst. There were about 8 or 9 teams on the list and we were NOT one of them so can't see us getting one anytime soon.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

This mob have had Priority picks, First draft picks, AFL assistance, Goodwill from the footy world for at least the last ten years and have not finished in the eight since 2006! And that Dermot Brereton put them YEARS ahead of us in development? YEAH! RIGHT!!! tell it to the marines!!!
Its a grand old flog, its a low flying flog......... REPREHENSIBLE!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Anyone concur with that?

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:Anyone concur with that?
I really, truly rooly do concur,

Always loyal
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Amen,

f*** 'em

longtimesaint
Club Player

Can anyone enlighten me on why James Frawley could possibly be worth pick 3 as compensation for free agency. He is a very average player and not even remotely in the class of Goddard or Dal Santo

One year will be our year
Spatchcock

longtimesaint wrote:Can anyone enlighten me on why James Frawley could possibly be worth pick 3 as compensation for free agency. He is a very average player and not even remotely in the class of Goddard or Dal Santo
If the AFL were to help them out even more than they already have this will be the way to effectively give them a priority pick.

When you start from the bottom the only way to go is up.
ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:AGAIN.

After the no.1 pick, after our %

It would be tough. Based on our normal losing margin they would have to lose the last 3 games by an average of about 150 points per game.
They would need to increase their against by 230 points in the course of the last 2 matches.
If we behave "sensibly" we should get our just desert for our suffering this season.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
suss
Club Player

Spatchcock wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:Can anyone enlighten me on why James Frawley could possibly be worth pick 3 as compensation for free agency. He is a very average player and not even remotely in the class of Goddard or Dal Santo
If the AFL were to help them out even more than they already have this will be the way to effectively give them a priority pick.
Bingo.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

whoa whoa
back up a minute

pick 3 or 4 for frawley?

yeah good one
almost had me

supersaints
Club Player

Started a thread on this back on the 8th August, it was obvious at Roos press conference he was softening up the media and football public his intention to tank
My thoughts have not changed

by supersaints » Wed 06 Aug 2014 12:57am
Very interesting to see Paul Roos come out and say that he believes Melbourne can't play well because they tanked, and it's the reason they are not winning games.

Seemed a very strange comment and conclusion to make about a club he is coaching. I wonder if he is just trying to use this as an excuse again to finish bottom and get another number 1 pick, without any questioning from the AFL?
This excuse would ensure they were not accused of tanking again.

If I recall correctly that the coaching staff were playing players out of position etc, I don't think they would be instructing players to kick to the opposition and turn the ball over on purpose etc. and if they did the players would have been up in arms. I don't believe any AFL player would deliberately play badly.

Personally I think it's a load of crap that it is still affecting the players, or indeed if it ever did.

Think he might be trying to finish lower than us... Don't expect them to win another game now.
Roos is a very, very cunning individual.
And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our president said " Football is like golf"

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints 

Club Player

And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

You had me at "Roos press conference" :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:This mob have had Priority picks, First draft picks, AFL assistance, Goodwill from the footy world for at least the last ten years and have not finished in the eight since 2006! And that Dermot Brereton put them YEARS ahead of us in development? YEAH! RIGHT!!! tell it to the marines!!!
Its a grand old flog, its a low flying flog......... REPREHENSIBLE!
That's the spirit old boy!
Schwartz on SEN yesterday said they should delist almost half the list if necessary. I'm loving it.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

I concur with 75% of your concurs, jig. If you concur a few more times then I may end up concurring 100% with them.

I think...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Started a thread on this back on the 8th August, it was obvious at Roos press conference he was softening up the media and football public his intention to tank
My thoughts have not changed

by supersaints » Wed 06 Aug 2014 12:57am
Very interesting to see Paul Roos come out and say that he believes Melbourne can't play well because they tanked, and it's the reason they are not winning games.

Seemed a very strange comment and conclusion to make about a club he is coaching. I wonder if he is just trying to use this as an excuse again to finish bottom and get another number 1 pick, without any questioning from the AFL?
This excuse would ensure they were not accused of tanking again.

If I recall correctly that the coaching staff were playing players out of position etc, I don't think they would be instructing players to kick to the opposition and turn the ball over on purpose etc. and if they did the players would have been up in arms. I don't believe any AFL player would deliberately play badly.

Personally I think it's a load of crap that it is still affecting the players, or indeed if it ever did.

Think he might be trying to finish lower than us... Don't expect them to win another game now.
Roos is a very, very cunning individual.
And our president said " Football is like golf"

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints 

Club Player

Can you explain during the game or in selection what he did to tank. They havent sent anywhere near the players us or GWS have to go off to operations so unless you think he has the ability to tell players to tank I dont even slightly think they are tanking.

derby Street
Club Player

It is simple they don't need to tank - they aren't much good.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur!

PJ
SS Life Member

Maybe a little simplistic but shouldn't you be on the bottom of the ladder if you are asking fro a PP? Yes I know years of torment, ffs harden up, stop sooking and get your players to buy shares in Paul Roos inc.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.