Schneider still on the list....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

Re: Schneider still on the list....

If we get three picks in the draft inside the top 20, if the current rookies are upgraded as seems likely - i.e. Weller, Templeton and possibly Shenton, and one for contingencies, then we need 7 spots. Currently we have 6 to the best of my recollection. Who else goes? Yes we may trade a contracted player but this is last ditch stuff. We also need to consider what to do with our other rookies- do we upgrade or risk losing them?
So we may need even more openings.
So, for me Schneider is the obvious, uncontracted player whose time has expired. It has nothing to do with how amusing a chap he may be, he has been disappointing for too many years now for the few good years to matter.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Club Player

If we get three picks in the draft inside the top 20, if the current rookies are upgraded as seems likely - i.e. Weller, Templeton and possibly Shenton, and one for contingencies, then we need 7 spots. Currently we have 6 to the best of my recollection. Who else goes? Yes we may trade a contracted player but this is last ditch stuff. We also need to consider what to do with our other rookies- do we upgrade or risk losing them?
So we may need even more openings.
So, for me Schneider is the obvious, uncontracted player whose time has expired. It has nothing to do with how amusing a chap he may be, he has been disappointing for too many years now for the few good years to matter.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:If we get three picks in the draft inside the top 20, if the current rookies are upgraded as seems likely - i.e. Weller, Templeton and possibly Shenton, and one for contingencies, then we need 7 spots. Currently we have 6 to the best of my recollection.
Nah, we have 7 already. Lenny, Beau, Tezza, Jimmy, CJ, TDL and Dunny. I reckon others on thin ice (for various reasons) would be:

Roberton, Simpkin, Siposs, Schneider

Most likely one or two of them go to leave us with 8 or 9 free list spots. 2 to 4 rookie promotions leaves us with 4 to 7 free list spots. Then I reckon 4 draft picks and anything left will be filled by trades.

Superboot
SS Life Member

OK, I exaggerated.

Top 45 :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I still need someone to tell me how we are going to get 3 picks in the top 20?

bigballs
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I still need someone to tell me how we are going to get 3 picks in the top 20?
Trading pick No.1 for two early selections would appear the Saints' best chance of securing three picks inside No.21.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-05/s ... trade-hard

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I still need someone to tell me how we are going to get 3 picks in the top 20?
Trading pick No.1 for two early selections would appear the Saints' best chance of securing three picks inside No.21.

Yes but how?
maybe im thick but give me some examples of how that could actually happen.

Melboure may get pick 2 and 3. But no way will they trade that for pick 1.
I dont think it is possible to get 2 top 10 picks for pick one.

Our only chance would be to trade with the gc or gws but im mot sure they would classify as two 'early' picks.

falka
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bigballs wrote:

Yes but how?
maybe im thick but give me some examples of how that could actually happen.

Melboure may get pick 2 and 3. But no way will they trade that for pick 1.
I dont think it is possible to get 2 top 10 picks for pick one.

Our only chance would be to trade with the gc or gws but im mot sure they would classify as two 'early' picks.
OK, Here is one scenario

We trade pick 1 for 7 and 14 (both approx) from GC as they have that compo pick based on Geelongs finishing position. So a nice symmetry of picks 7, 14, 21.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'm so glad Pelican thinks we are still very much on track for the road to 2018.

I know already we have the 2015 spoon in the bag. No dramas about that. But will we rise at all in 2016 is my concern. 3 spoons in a row, or 2 spoons and a bottom 3 finish in 2016 after last year also being terrible will be tough on our finances and very fragile supporter base.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If Minch and Templeton are fit and firing next year - Schneids could well become a Sandy player.

Lets hope if he does get an extension its on a minimum wage.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If Minch and Templeton are fit and firing next year - Schneids could well become a Sandy player.

Why does Schneids need an extension, did you spot him in the showers :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If Minch and Templeton are fit and firing next year - Schneids could well become a Sandy player.

Minch, Templeton, Billings, Curran, Roo, Stanley, White, Lee, Markworth maybe McCartin - where does Schneider fit?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

Minch, Templeton, Billings, Curran, Roo, Stanley, White, Lee, Markworth maybe McCartin - where does Schneider fit?

Ahead of probably 3 or 4 of them so he still has a spot. Still think he will retire though.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Schneids might still have some value....we have significant turnover of players.....very young side, he might be good off field and around the club too....he might even be able to do a pre season this year and have a decent final year.

Nee!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Schneids might still have some value....we have significant turnover of players.....very young side, he might be good off field and around the club too.....
Make him an assistant coach then.
FFS.

I wouldnt hold your breath for a pre-season. Hes been unfit his whole career. Hes not got going to change that now.

Ray
Roo
Fisher
Dempster
Armo
Geary
Montagna
Gilbert

We have plenty of senior players to help out off field.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Ask the AFL for a priority pick (and one for Melbourne too).
Then upgrade pick 21 by trading away higher picks that we won't use.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Ahead of probably 3 or 4 of them so he still has a spot. Still think he will retire though.
3 or 4!

which ones

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Minch, Templeton, Billings, Curran, Roo, Stanley, White, Lee, Markworth maybe McCartin - where does Schneider fit?
3 or 4!

which ones
Markworth obviously. McCartin's not even eligible so ignore him. Minchington isn't on the senior list. Templeton's played six games, wouldn't be surprised if he was searching for some form in the twos. Curren is a completely different player, a bit quicker, a lot tougher and a much worse kick - different roles. Can't play all of Roo, Stanley, White and Lee so Schneids would be "ahead of" at least one of them in any given week, but it doesn't really make sense to compare them.

Billings is the only one I'd say is a similar player who would play ahead of Schneids at the moment, and that's not so much because he's better but because he just needs to get a lot of games under his belt ASAP.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I'd just like to add that I don't think the answer to some of our older injury prone players ie Scnheider and Fisher is to flog them in pre season - I'm really hoping that the coaches really emphasise to the conditioning staff that we need these guys fit come rd 1, not for the NAB cup...cotton wool...much more valuable a little underdone and actually get to the start line in one piece!! IMO

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I stand to be corrected as maybe I missed something- but as it currently stands today - Schneider and Markworth are the only two sr list players out of contract for 2015? Of course that could change - but it seems like they are waiting until all the trades happen before making a call on them?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I stand to be corrected as maybe I missed something- but as it currently stands today - Schneider and Markworth are the only two sr list players out of contract for 2015? Of course that could change - but it seems like they are waiting until all the trades happen before making a call on them?
I reckon Daniel might just be part of the future-fest signings…

Though I think you could be right about your man - the schneidenator

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, strong rumours over the weekend that Markworth will be signing for another year.

Expect any official announcement to be part of #SaintsFutureFest as they have been indicating one a day during the Finals and there's quite a few days to fill :wink:

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:I stand to be corrected as maybe I missed something- but as it currently stands today - Schneider and Markworth are the only two sr list players out of contract for 2015? Of course that could change - but it seems like they are waiting until all the trades happen before making a call on them?
Are Murdoch and Wright currently contracted?

If not, they'll probably be part of the future gest announcements.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Yeah, strong rumours over the weekend that Markworth will be signing for another year.

Expect any official announcement to be part of #SaintsFutureFest as they have been indicating one a day during the Finals and there's quite a few days to fill :wink:
Has to be Markworth's last chance.

Will start the season on 0 games age 23.

The club not rushing to sign Schneids - or announce it anyway. They might quietly do it after the GF. They are probably embarrassed.